HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Tablet - The iPad, Now With 50% More Bezel!

Old
01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

vCash: 500
Sorry to burst your bubble but Apple isn't going away anytime soon. Whatever they come out with will make $$$$$$$ and tons of it. Heck, if they released an iPod with multi-colored ear buds it will still sell over a million.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Osprey

It sounds like some of you may be more interested in something like one of these:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details....06&item=BU0347 (w/ Windows 7, no CD/DVD drive)

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details....06&item=BU0347 (w/ Windows XP, DVD burner)

They're netbooks with Tablet PC features (i.e. touchscreens that twist and fold down over the keyboard to convert to tablets). The battery life is less (5hrs compared to 10hrs), the startup time is no doubt longer and they're a little over half a pound heavier, but you get a real keyboard and a full copy of Windows (to run any Windows apps on it and multitask). I think that I would get one of these instead of a regular netbook or this iPad, since they can be used as either.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-27-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
guinness
those were the days

The specs are as disappointing as I thought they would be...well, hopefully they come out with i5 MBP's soon.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Sebaldian

It's exactly like the movie Avatar. Pretty, but stupid.
And it'll probably make 2 billion dollars.

Sebaldian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:56 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
It's exactly like the movie Avatar. Pretty, but stupid.
And it'll probably make 2 billion dollars.
I really don't think this is going to sell well at all. My girlfriend is pretty computer illiterate, but she loves her Macbook and iPod touch and when I showed her the keynote video today even she said she doesn't see the point because its just a bigger iPod touch that doesn't fit in your pocket.

The general consensus among experience computer users and the average computer user seems to be that its kind of useless

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:12 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I really don't think this is going to sell well at all. My girlfriend is pretty computer illiterate, but she loves her Macbook and iPod touch and when I showed her the keynote video today even she said she doesn't see the point because its just a bigger iPod touch that doesn't fit in your pocket.

The general consensus among experience computer users and the average computer user seems to be that its kind of useless
Some analyst at Piper Jaffray is estimating 4 million iPads sold in it's first year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...n_in_2011.html

I'm just not seeing that, but that Apple logo has legs. I have an iPod Touch, and last night was the first time I used it in months; it's probably the most overrated piece of electronics I own.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
iPod and iPad... I bet that's going to create a lot of confusion in the Boston Apple Store
My first thought upon reading about the unveiling today. I don't know if that's a good sense of humor or cynicism.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:

The problem with this analysis is the fruit shaped impression on the side.

Apple sells well by definition.

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Sebaldian

It seems that most of the tech journalists, at least the ones I read anyway, are underwhelmed or downright disappointed by it. That seems like a bad sign since they generally give Apple a free pass when it comes to device flaws.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
It seems that most of the tech journalists, at least the ones I read anyway, are underwhelmed or downright disappointed by it. That seems like a bad sign since they generally give Apple a free pass when it comes to device flaws.
A lot of people were also disappointed with the iPod when it was released in 2001.

I'm not predicting anything, just saying you can't always put much stock into what these guys have to say.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride The Lightning View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but Apple isn't going away anytime soon. Whatever they come out with will make $$$$$$$ and tons of it. Heck, if they released an iPod with multi-colored ear buds it will still sell over a million.
I should hope not. They provide a lot of jobs directly and indirectly. And the competition keeps microsoft from slacking off.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:23 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
500 dollars for 16gb of storage and no 3G. What is the point of this device? I have a laptop which does everything, and a phone which does less and fits in my pocket. Why do I need an iPad?
Simple enough so you can be cool like the Apple fanboys.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
A lot of people were also disappointed with the iPod when it was released in 2001.

I'm not predicting anything, just saying you can't always put much stock into what these guys have to say.
Correct me if I'm wrong, and it's definitely possible, but didn't iPod sales only blow up in the second or third generation? It was originally only compatible with Macs if I remember right, so maybe the criticism was well founded back then.

Old
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
BlueAndWhite

I believe it was ONE particular site (slashdot) that said the original iPod was "lame".

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Sebaldian

Old
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
MayDay

Think we'll have to wait and see what the third-party developers come up with. Who knows, some developers might come up with a really killer app for the iPad that makes it a must-have.

I think for me though, if I were to look at a device like this, I would want a tablet that can replace most of the functionality of my laptop. I don't really see much of a need to have both a laptop and a tablet. I don't want a third-device, I want something that fulfills does the job of mobile computing.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
FruityPants3*

Yeah, it's almost like they got it backwards. Imagine if they brought this out 7-8 years ago, developed what is now the iPhone OS on that, and then a few years later they brought out the iPhone. People would have been like "holy ****, it's an entire iPad, but in the palm of your hand! And a phone!"

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Think we'll have to wait and see what the third-party developers come up with. Who knows, some developers might come up with a really killer app for the iPad that makes it a must-have.

I think for me though, if I were to look at a device like this, I would want a tablet that can replace most of the functionality of my laptop. I don't really see much of a need to have both a laptop and a tablet. I don't want a third-device, I want something that fulfills does the job of mobile computing.
yeah, that's what I wanted, too. Like a step up/variation of the convertible laptops Osprey linked to. There's just nothing overly special or unique with the ipad.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

IF what I remember reading couple articles ago, Apple's sales this time around were mostly due to the iPhone and Mac Computer sales, not the iPod. I'm pretty sure iPod sales were modest but not as before..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride The Lightning View Post
IF what I remember reading couple articles ago, Apple's sales this time around were mostly due to the iPhone and Mac Computer sales, not the iPod. I'm pretty sure iPod sales were modest but not as before..
I'm sure that Apple themselves are responsible for that. They cannibalized a lot of iPod sales with the iPhone.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Ipod sales are flat. Their limited in their use and offer decent features at a low price. I personally only have a music ipod shuffle. I don't see the point in anything else.

I also have a smartphone, a blackberry, which I'll do most of my mobile stuff while at work or while at the store.

The laptop will still be used at home.

This new device. Well for me its going to replace my busted mobile dvd player. Its a traveling device that appeals to people on the go making trips. The consumption of movies, internet, pics, etc will be on one device and that will be the selling solution for me. However now that I own one then I'll use it for small trips while the wife is driving. Maybe a book or magazine.

Of course I'll be waiting for a future generation with upgrades. Just like I did when the first smartphones came out.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Zodiac

seems like a real piece of crap.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
macleod50

vCash: 330
They should have just released a $600-$700 netbook.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Simple enough so you can be cool like the Apple fanboys.
There's some real insight in this post.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._jobs_stays_up

Quote:
Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet

CUPERTINO, CA—Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of ****! Just stick already!" Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote