HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recapping the Homestand

Old
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
CitizenCoyote

vCash: 500
Recapping the Homestand

Well, the longest homestand of the year is in the books. It was a pretty important one too, having created a large imbalance for the rest of the year in terms of home v. road games (12 v. 19).

Going in, 8 or 9 points out of the available 12 would have seemed the right number to keep on track in the West. Six or fewer would have been a disaster. The team ended up with 7 (3-2-1), which, all things considered, isn't too bad if you think about it -- First, they were playing good teams; the combined records of the 6 teams (not counting these six results) is 171-94-30. Second, they won the most important games against the Preds and Wild and didn't give either a loser's point.

More important, there really was some great action in these six games -- probably as much or more excitement as the Coyotes have had in a homestand this late in the year in a while. Hat tricks and near hat tricks all over the ice. More than a dozen third period goals. Short handed goals, two come from behind games. The West is tough, and at least 3 pretty good teams won't make the playoffs. But it is certainly fun to be relevant and exciting 51 games into the season.

More fundamentally, any Valley sports fan that isn't paying attention to what's going on at the Job is really missing out. Think about all those people paying $140 for a lower level corner seat to watch an unispired team play 3 minute spurts of basketball in between endless time outs filled with blaring music at America West. Just drive another 10 miles and see the best sport live (with very few time outs!) in a $30 seat that includes a hot dog. I guess if this last home stand doesn't get them in the seats nothing short of the playoffs will.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
PhoPhan

Seven points out of a potential 12 is certainly not anything to celebrate, especially with how tightly packed the teams are. It's even more concerning when you consider this was a homestand.

Every team hits a wall at one point or another, though, and they at least ended it on a high note against Nashville. The good news is that, despite the moderate slump (and I'm pretty stoked about 3-2-1 being a slump), the Coyotes are still sitting 5th in the West based on percentage of potential points earned.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

You make it sound like they went undefeated in the homestand. This was not a very successful homestand. I'm working on an article about it right now.

Last edited by Dolemite: 01-22-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
kingbrutis

I think it was when you consider the horrible goals Bryz has been letting in. If he played like he did all year (minus these 3 weeks), we have a few more points. He's human though. It's really worrisome to think he wont get a break and will be playing for Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
You make it sound like they went undefeated in the homestand. This was not a very successful homestand.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm pretty stoked about 3-2-1 being a slump
I'll second that. It was a rough patch. I hope the Nashville game is an indication that they came through it chin up. I guess we'll find out.

Quote:
the Coyotes are still sitting 5th in the West based on percentage of potential points earned.
It sure seems like a lot of the other teams in the same points range as the Coyotes did some losing of their own. That is a luxury that will not likely repeat.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
You make it sound like they went undefeated in the homestand. This was not a very successful homestand. I'm working on an article about it right now.
Nah -- I said pretty clearly I thought 8 or 9 points out of 12 would have been the right number given our opponents. We were sub par, but we salvaged it pretty well.

My main point was not that I think it was a successful homestand. I think it was an exciting homestand.

I also think not all 7-point homestands are created equal. If we'd beaten New Jersey, Buffalo, and New York, and tied the Sharks, that also would have been 7 points, but it would not have been nearly as productive as taking down the Preds and Wild in regulation as we did. If we had to have a slightly sub-par homestand, this was about as good a "bad" homestand as we could have had; maybe a win over the Sharks would have been better than New Jersey, but that's a minor point since we're never going to be battling the Sharks for the playoff spot or the division.

Bottom line: I think we shot a bogey on a very tough hole. Would have liked to have made par. Would have liked a birdie even better. But we move on to the next hole without much damage.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:50 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Fortunately much of the Western conference has slowed down a bit over the last 10-20 games. We were on pace earlier in the season to see a playoff cutoff of +15 to +18. Now it's back around +12 or so.

Don't suppose Calgary would be generous enough to continue their recent slide and push that 1st round pick we're getting into the lottery..

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Fortunately much of the Western conference has slowed down a bit over the last 10-20 games. We were on pace earlier in the season to see a playoff cutoff of +15 to +18. Now it's back around +12 or so.
Also, I think the East has ralied a bit to take more points off the West than in the beginning of the season, and, otherwise, the schedule was skewed with more east v. west games in the early part of the season. So, the western teams are done beating up on the east and now have to beat up on each other. Plus, you're exactly right that the cream is rising to the top and vice versa. San Jose and the Hawks can finish with 115 points each for all I care, so long as they beat everyone in regulation equally!

Old
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
The team ended up with 7 (3-2-1), which, all things considered, isn't too bad if you think about it

The West is tough, and at least 3 pretty good teams won't make the playoffs. But it is certainly fun to be relevant and exciting 51 games into the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Seven points out of a potential 12 is certainly not anything to celebrate, especially with how tightly packed the teams are. It's even more concerning when you consider this was a homestand.

The good news is that, despite the moderate slump (and I'm pretty stoked about 3-2-1 being a slump)
Quote:
I'm not sure who you think makes it sound like they went undefeated. I sure don't get that impression from the posts?

You make it sound like it was a bad homestand? Or am I mistaken? I think the CoyoteVisitor said it best when he said "if you think about it."

If you think about it, they played 4 very tough teams, an Islander team playing well, and a decent Wild team...They played 2 of those games without Jovo.

If you want to look at the negatives, you can point to Bryz having a rough go, except for the Preds game, the injury to Winnik, and the disaster against the Sabres.

Hopefully you aren't like the professional media, and don't just focus on negative crap.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Don't suppose Calgary would be generous enough to continue their recent slide and push that 1st round pick we're getting into the lottery..
shhhh

Either that, or the Yotes should look to trade the Flames pick now, while it's at it's peak value...If they are able to acquire a legit playoff-tested top 6 forward with that pick, it would be nice to have him during the Olympic break to practice with the team.

Old
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
If you think about it, they played 4 very tough teams, an Islander team playing well, and a decent Wild team...They played 2 of those games without Jovo.

If you want to look at the negatives, you can point to Bryz having a rough go, except for the Preds game, the injury to Winnik, and the disaster against the Sabres.

Hopefully you aren't like the professional media, and don't just focus on negative crap.
No I'm focusing on what I see as poor performances since the new year.

The Canucks game in Vancouver was a winnable game.

The Sharks game was a winnable game.

The Red Wings game was a winnable game.

The Islanders game was a winnable game.

The Sabres game was a winnable game.

I'm posting an article in a bit that breaks down what happened in those games.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:

Gee, sound likes interesting reading

are you going to break down all the losable games too?

Old
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
With how they played that game they had no business getting any points. Turning that game into a SO loss was an act of god.

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
But I think expecting to beat the Sabres and not crediting the amazing job they did of beating New Jersey is way too glass-half-empty for my tastes.
I'm not saying that the New Jersey game wasn't bad. However, Bryz did let in two extremely stoppable 3/4 hole goals. Also, the Coyotes had been giving up breakaways in the games leading up to the first goal.

The reason I focus on things like this is not because I'm being negative. It's because these are the kind of things that the opposing teams look for when trying to beat the Coyotes. With the Holmstrom goal in my article (where he snuck up behind the defense) the Sharks took a look at that and look what happened with Marleau:

http://coyotes.nhl.tv/team/console.j...8&event=PHX206

Snuck right in unnoticed and untouched.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
CitizenCoyote

I just accidentally deleted my prior message. These computer things have me all befuddled.

I'm not going to retype it, but the bottom line is agree the team has work to do. The recent home stand was a chance to get some breathing space, which they couldn't quite do. It also, though, was a chance to take a major hit, which they avoided. Train is still on the tracks, which is a relief.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:

The Canucks game- we got beat by an incredibly hot Alex Burrows and the sedin twins.

Sharks game- bad defense leads to goals by visiting teams

The Red Wings game- Screwed over by the refs twice

The Islanders game- Very very very lucky to get a point out of that.

The Sabres- Came out looking like one of the top teams in the east and they showed us why they are up there with the likes of Washington, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh. Not to mention one of the best goalies if not the best goalie in the league in Ryan Miller.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
The Canucks game- we got beat by an incredibly hot Alex Burrows and the sedin twins.

Sharks game- bad defense leads to goals by visiting teams

The Red Wings game- Screwed over by the refs twice

The Islanders game- Very very very lucky to get a point out of that.

The Sabres- Came out looking like one of the top teams in the east and they showed us why they are up there with the likes of Washington, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh. Not to mention one of the best goalies if not the best goalie in the league in Ryan Miller.
Check out the article thread I just posted that breaks down these losses and why I say they were all winnable games.

Old
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Puck Daddy actually posted a blog the day of the game about how the Sabres own the West. The Sabres didn't let him down that night.

Why the Sabres own the Western Conference (so far) this season

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Puck Daddy actually posted a blog the day of the game about how the Sabres own the West. The Sabres didn't let him down that night.

Why the Sabres own the Western Conference (so far) this season
Yeah -- of course they got so much scoring out of their system against us that they promptly dropped three of four points to our conference rivals in the next two games of their road trip.

Ducks got them on a good night the night after they played us. Their backup goaltender let in 4 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game and the Ducks held on 5-4.