HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Gustavsson's Numbers Belie The Facts

Old
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Gustavsson's Numbers Belie The Facts

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home

Silver lining.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Dwight K Schrute

vCash: 500
If the monster was playing behind even and average defense and PK his numbers would probably be more along the lines of GAA 2.50 SV% .915.

I cannot count the number of times the leafs have started the game giving up a 2 on 1 in the first minute and needed this guy to bail them out.

In all honestly I think Brodeur and luongos numbers would look fairly poor on this team.

Dwight K Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Defense

Gustavsson has been good. It'd be nice that the Leafs wouldn't be pylons on the penalty kill.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Oh theres definetly something there. His numbers arent great, and he needs to improve, but his ability to stop the puck and make a big save are definetly there.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

He's been pretty darn good but, His style scares me, he gotta stop the break dancing and i think Francois Allaire can coach it out but it's gonna take a bit more time.

plus the team in front doesn't help(save for a few)

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:55 PM
RogerRoeper*

His numbers are actually pretty solid given the team he's played on.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Wheels

I've been watching some of those "Hockey Powers" 30-minute documentaries on the main contenders for the Olympics. The one on Sweden sure did play up Gustavsson a lot. It looked as though most of the interview footage was from the summer but the Swedish front office definitely seemed very excited about his future. Made me remember why there was such a buzz about him in the first place.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
DoctorPayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
He's been pretty darn good but, His style scares me, he gotta stop the break dancing and i think Francois Allaire can coach it out but it's gonna take a bit more time.

plus the team in front doesn't help(save for a few)
This. He's certainly got the relfexes and athleticism to be a star goalie, but man, sometimes he looks like he's having a seizure in net the way he flops around. Could be nerves, could just be lack of training, but either way, he needs to stop moving so much.

DoctorPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:13 PM
SuperCCM*

Sorry Gustavsson's positional play reminds me of Raycroft.

SuperCCM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCCM View Post
Sorry Gustavsson's positional play reminds me of Raycroft.
How so? One is a reactionary goalie, one is a positional goalie. Raycrofts movements were usually slow, but square, Gusto is usually quick and acrobatic, pulling him out of position.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:23 PM
embracedbias

At this point, a goalie can't just change his style and expect to succeed. Not for a while anyways.

You can work on certain dimensions of the style, but not change it outright.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

The guy's been good, all things considered. Like the death of his parents and two surgeries wouldn't have hampered his play this season.

However, there's a lot of promise in him and he's the best we've got. Give him another couple years at a reasonable price and give him a better defence in front of him and lets see what he can do.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Suntouchable13

Wasn't Joseph also a goalie who was all over the place? He turned out alright, didn't he?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Wasn't Joseph also a goalie who was all over the place? He turned out alright, didn't he?
There was that.. umm. what's his name. Has.. Hasek! Yeah, he was ok too.

It's strange because they weren't the strongest goalies as far as theory and technique went, but they stopped the puck very well. That's what matters.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I won't pass any kind of final judgement on Gusto until his 3rd NHL season. I will remain patient with him and I just know he will get more comfortable along with our team as a whole.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
So was Hasek but, The difference was they did it when they were still in the blue paint. I've seen Jonas floping in the white ice because he tends to overcommit.I think hes getting better and it will be corrected but it will take time. It took Jonas Hiller 2 years to get comfortable here and i have lots of convidence in him(Gustavsson) and Allaire.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Gustavsson is solid, but has plenty of holes in his game that will hopefully come with time.

1. Overplaying. He gets himself out of position from time to time.
2. Shootout. Will come with time, hopefully.
3. Rebounds. His rebound control is very poor right now. Also the same with his glove hand, always giving rebounds when he should be catching the puck.

I have faith that Allaire will help him develop. I have no doubt that his overplaying will be dealt with in time. Shootouts too, hopefully. Rebounds, not as easy but still coachable.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
catgoldfish

It's not the Leafs Goaltending or Defense........it's the lazy forwards we have not coming to backcheck and put up the man cruising into the slot. We need to stress backchecking none of the forwards aside from Kulemin are doing that. THATS BAD.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Gusto's been up and down, a little bit below average overall, and has the little bit below average stats as a result.

Toskala has been ridiculously awful, and has the ridiculously awful stats as a result.

It has nothing to do with the team in front of them - they both have the stats they deserve.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:35 PM
EucaLEAFtys

I think that Gustavsson has done reasonably well, all things considered. With this being his rookie season in the NHL, he's had a lot on his plate to deal with, such as smaller ice surfaces (different angles to learn) and a higher caliber of competition to face. Given more time to acclimate himself and the chance to work with Francois Allaire on a regular basis, Jonas should become much better than he already is.

Now, if only the rest the team would improve at about the same pace as Gustavsson, we would have something actually worth watching next season.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
dimi78

Gustavsson has been good and steady in the net from what I see yes he does have the tendencies to over commit and he does move around too much at times but that can be fixed if the team in front of him would limit the cross ice pass in the D zone. What I think he needs work on is picking up the tips in front of the net.

I haven't seen such poor TEAM DEFENSE from individuals in allowing passes go through them to the other side of the ice when playing defense. Both Toskola and Gustavsson are victims to this which is tough to stay square to the shooter.

This isn't a coaching thing this a player thing that mostly plagues the forwards in allowing passes go through them. On D Kaberle is probably the worst on the team in this.

If you don't see what I'm talking about just watch the next game how many cross ice passes the Leafs can make in the offensive zone while cycling and how many cross ice passes they allow in the D zone.

When a team can pass the puck from 1 side to the other almost at will in the offensive zone you can put any goalie in the net he's going to be a fish out of water.

For a rookie goalie I'm impressed with Gustavsson play on this team.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote