HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why trade Stajan?

Old
01-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlaze81 View Post
If we resign Stajan, I'm outta here. His points are very misleading, I bet most of Stajan points are 2nd assist and his goals are scored when it doesn't really matter, when was the last time he got a GWG ? or scored a clutch goal to tie a game ? how many 5on5 goals does he have ? he's so weak on the boards, umm the 1st post said he block shots on the PK, lately i haven't seen him on the PK. If we ever made it to the playoffs Stajan would get eaten alive. I'd be happy if we get a 4th rounder for him.
He scored the goal to take the lead against Tampa. It should have been the game winner.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:11 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Are you trading or demoting Bozak? Or is he the 1st line guy? I think Bozak has already made one of Stajan and Grabo expendable, and Kadri will push to make the other one expendable, although I would not be surprised if Kadri plays the wing, if Bozak continues to improve/impress.

If there is a new 1st line guy, how do you afford that kind of money on your centerman, without hindering another position?
I'm realizing the fact that Bozak has played a grand total of 6 games in the NHL and has so far proven to be 1-dimensional. The reality is that both players only have the capability to replace Grabo, so if Bozak proves in the remainder of the season that he should stay, then you consider moving Grabo, but that hasn't happened yet. But, the reality is that Stajan is a championship calibre 3rd line centre, there's no reason to move him unless his salary demands are ridiculuous.

As far as cap goes....there's Jeff Finger & Jason Blake who can be waived.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Darylman

When TO makes it to the playoffs, and we will, I want somebody like Stajan on the team. From TO, all his friends and family watching..he'll do what he has to do. If that's only as third line centre, so be it.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlaze81 View Post
If we resign Stajan, I'm outta here. His points are very misleading, I bet most of Stajan points are 2nd assist and his goals are scored when it doesn't really matter, when was the last time he got a GWG ? or scored a clutch goal to tie a game ? how many 5on5 goals does he have ? he's so weak on the boards, umm the 1st post said he block shots on the PK, lately i haven't seen him on the PK. If we ever made it to the playoffs Stajan would get eaten alive. I'd be happy if we get a 4th rounder for him.
I agree that Stajan does get some BS secondary assists but so does every other player.

He actually only has 7 PPG and 12 PPP. So 8 of his goals and the rest of his points are all even strength.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Drakkor

I would trade Stajan.

He is probably looking for a term contract, 4-5 years (just a guess), and I don't see him as a part going forward. His value is probably at a high right now.

I'd keep Grabo for now. He has only 2 more seasons left on his current contract and works as a stop gap.

Kadri, no matter how well his training camp goes and plays with the Marlies at the start of the season. Hopefully it goes well and he doesn't regress slightly. This should put pressure on Grabo to perform.

If Kadri lights it up and performs well at the AHL level, then you are able to look into trading Grabo. If not you have another year for Kadri to develop with a body to play that position without having to invest a large portion of the cap. His cap hit is only 2.9 mill. I would assume that even with bonuses that the cap hit should be pretty much inter-changable.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Apologize for saying "fall in love with him"? No, not really. A lot of fans elevate this guy, when really he's been nothing but average for years, on a terrible team.

Here's the rub for me. Grabs/Stajan, whatever, you could argue one is better, same with the other. We already have Grabs under contract, at a hefty price, which means his trade value isn't much. So, assuming you can easily move him, you move the guy with no contract. Doesn't that make sense?

Not sure I like Bozak as a third liner either, so unless you're giving up on him, he could be the second option. He has great hands, very creative. He is good both ways, very responsible defensively. Keeping him as second line over Stajan, I fail to see the downside, with actually more potential.

Stajan is expendable. It will be like Steen, nobody will notice when they're gone, just another average NHLer.

You have to make decisions here, you can't keep all these guys. We're stuck with Blake, and we're probably stuck with Grabs (maybe we can trade him too down the road, when his contract is just about up), so then you look at your UFA's. Stajan is the natural choice to move. If we get a second round pick or a mid level prospect, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I meant that you should apologize for consciously misrepresenting the opinions of people who want to re-sign Stajan, but whatever.

Grabovski at a "hefty price"? Since when is $2.9m a hefty price? I don't think unloading Grabovski would be nearly as difficult as you make it seem. We traded a 2nd and a 5th for him, and since then he's proven himself at the NHL level. We'd get at least that in return, you'd think. Particularly considering how lackluster the UFA market is. Teams that miss out of the few UFA's will have to find other avenues through which to improve their team.

You don't not sign Stajan because you are afraid that you won't be able to get rid of Grabovski.

Why don't you like Bozak as a third line centre? It doesn't matter where they start in the rotation, because people get shuffled around according to their play anyways... not to mention that injuries will happen. Depth is a good thing.

I agree. You have to make decisions. If Stajan would sign a reasonable deal, I'd sign him and trade Grabovski. We aren't stuck with Grabo, I have no idea why you think that.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
I'm assuming you mean Grabs is our #2 center.

Stajan > Grabovski

If we sign a #1 center, Grabovski is our #3. Not Stajan. Why does everyone have Grabovski absolutely ****ing cemented into that spot, like he cannot possibly ever even be CONSIDERED to not be the #2?
contract > no contract. Both of them figure to be #2 centers and the one with the expiring contract tends to be easier to move especially at the deadline. Regardless of who would or wouldn't be he simply seems like the likely candidate to be moved.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
contract > no contract. Both of them figure to be #2 centers and the one with the expiring contract tends to be easier to move especially at the deadline. Regardless of who would or wouldn't be he simply seems like the likely candidate to be moved.
Stajan is the superior player, Burke is a fool if he goes by contracts and not by actual productivity.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
ju5tbringit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
I agree that Stajan does get some BS secondary assists but so does every other player.
Well he was the leader in the NHL 5 on 5 last year...

Anyways that doesn't bug me nearly as much as people who mention him being a local boy, or him being good with the media as a "positive". Seriously, I could care less where a player comes from if they can play. I could care less if they don't speak good english. I don't care if they are american, russian, or from mars if they can play.

Look at the Eastern Conference good teams. Its guys like Elias, Connolly, Fisher, Carter, Plekanec etc on 2nd lines. The elite teams have Malkin, Pavelski/Setoguchi, Zetterberg/Franzen, Sharp/Hossa. A guy like Stajan simply does not belong if we ever want to win.

ju5tbringit is offline   Reply With Quote