HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Hockey

Old
01-20-2010, 01:17 AM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
John Tortorella Hockey

Have we been seeing John Tortorella hockey the last two games? Because I'm seeing what John accomplished in Tampa Bay here the last two games. The Rangers are playing high pressure, and forcing more turnovers than I've seen all season. Torts said we wouldn't see his system implemented until well past the half way point of the season, and it's past the half way point of the season, do you guys think it's clicked?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
NYR MacTruck

ill be happy with whatever wins games and scores goals. If its John Tortorella Hockey, so be it.

NYR MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:46 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

On the other hand that's just two games. But I also can't remove from my mind for a couple of weeks now, what Torts was saying in training camp about his system: no more teaching comes January. The fact the players had to have assimilated it by then, and had to respond to it without thinking. We've had some very solid games this month. If we could find just a little more consistency now, that would be perfect.

Last edited by King of cool: 01-20-2010 at 08:37 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Consistency is this team's biggest enemy. Has been all year.

The games in the near future that I see as real "benchmarks" are Thursday in Philly, and Monday @ home against the Pens... I think HOW the Rangers play (to some minor extent even mire than the outcome) will go a long way in showing where this team is at.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Nick00

Their effort has been undeniably great but we have to be realistic about the opponents too.
Montreal was defensively inept and easy to push around, and Tampa Bay was flat out sleepwalking.
I don't even have a word to describe how terrible they looked.

I'm happy about these recent results but more than skeptical.

On Thursday they play a team that's bigger, meaner, and more skilled than they are.
I want to see that same fire when things get tough.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:04 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Whos this torterella guy? Don't you mean John Torterreller?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:12 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

john tororella hockey (at least how he preaches it to the media) is consistency, jump on the forecheck, physicality along the boards, and always looking for an opportunity to create offense.

last two games are what happens when this team decides it isn't going to lose battles for the puck, and skates in straight lines. it's fun system to watch when the team doesn't decide to just play one or two aspects of the system and scraps the rest, but the real test is going to come when we see tort's system go head to head with a more structured defensive system in a best of 7.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:27 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
Consistency is this team's biggest enemy. Has been all year.

The games in the near future that I see as real "benchmarks" are Thursday in Philly, and Monday @ home against the Pens... I think HOW the Rangers play (to some minor extent even mire than the outcome) will go a long way in showing where this team is at.
I agree with you. the MTL and the TBL games were great and fun to watch, a real joy for a Rangers fan. The team played almost perfectly. But it was only the Habs and the Bolts, so you're gonna see where this team stands when they square off with the big ones like Kidsburgh. I wouldn't count Philly as a "big" team this season but regarding what they did to us, this Thursday's game should be a real test.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:40 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

it's just two games. plus, i need to see how potent we can be against a playoff team like Pittsburgh. MTL, TB, PHI (next game) are all teams we really NEED to be beating.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

technically, yes. However I think there are a few things to understand about Tortorellay hockey. 1) Pressuring the puck is exhausting, you will have lulls for shifts, periods, games, etc. 2) It's also risky, especially when your D pinches and reads the play wrong. 3)The puck doesnt always go in, its important to remember that.

You can usually tell if the team is playing Tortorella hockey or not by the # of quality chances. Not the # of shots, the # of chances. If its high, they are playing his style, even if they arent scoring.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
shon

don't get too excited. he will change all the lines and d pairings next game. lol

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

2 games where we played a solid forecheck, solid skating game and we cashed in on our chances. its been awhile since we did that but lets not get too excited. those 2 teams play the uptempo style that suits us rather than the conservative, trapping style that has frustrated us again this season.

dont get me wrong, both wins were impressive, but both teams played awful and had marginal goaltenders who didnt play very well.

torts needs to keep this lineup the same. the key to sustained winning is to make us more than a 1 line team. if nothing lese, this lineup gives us better balance and has provided some secondary scoring.

i especially like that 4th line. finally, we have a 4th line that can skate and forecheck and score. this will benefit gaby as his ice time will be slightly lower making him fresher in the 3rd period where he can win games for us.

torts seems to have found a 4 line combo here thats working. now torts needs to do some coaching. keep the confidence level high, improve the powerplay and work on d zone coverages to limit the good scoring chances on hank and we may be able to put some distance between us and the teams below us in the standings.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Levitate

yeah, I think that's more or less what he would ideally like the team to do...but it really relies on being able to keep up the pressure on the other team. If you can't, then you start getting your forwards caught deep as the other team transitions the puck back up the ice and they will get some good chances off of those breaks. That did happen several times last night but the Rangers were able to cover or Lundqvist made the saves. But it can still be risky...if you can generate offense and score on your chances, it'll work out, but I'm wary about this team keeping that up for any period of time

and yeah, the last two teams made it "easy" on the Rangers, though they also did play a style that would make things difficult on most teams...it's just that the good ones are more likely to be able to move the puck quicker and avoid the forecheckers

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Have we been seeing John Tortorella hockey the last two games? Because I'm seeing what John accomplished in Tampa Bay here the last two games. The Rangers are playing high pressure, and forcing more turnovers than I've seen all season. Torts said we wouldn't see his system implemented until well past the half way point of the season, and it's past the half way point of the season, do you guys think it's clicked?
1. It's two games, let's see what happens.

2. These are the best line combinations he's found, and he's stuck with them (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while... kidding...)

3. This team had to start scoring at some point, we weren't that bad. We really did have a bunch of guys holding their sticks too tight, and that's how scoring is, once you see a few go in, you relax, and there's a snowball effect. Quite simply, the mental part of sports is just as important as the physical part.

4. Voros's addition and Brashear and Kotalik's absence gives the team a different spirit and personality, and while we're talking about players who play very few minutes, don't underestimate the significance of this. I've talked about this team's spirit and personality all season. Its just different having Voros in the room and not having the other two.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 01-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
technically, yes. However I think there are a few things to understand about Tortorellay hockey. 1) Pressuring the puck is exhausting, you will have lulls for shifts, periods, games, etc. 2) It's also risky, especially when your D pinches and reads the play wrong. 3)The puck doesnt always go in, its important to remember that.

You can usually tell if the team is playing Tortorella hockey or not by the # of quality chances. Not the # of shots, the # of chances. If its high, they are playing his style, even if they arent scoring.
I was thinking that yesterday while watching Callahan, the kid's gonna be exhausted at the end of the season. Some will crack before IMO if we (try) to keep the pace of the last two games, that's just impossible, some players are going to be burnt, with nothing left in the tank this spring. Plain and simple.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I bashed Torts pretty incessantly the first half of the season, but I think its time to give him some credit now.

Maybe it just took him some time to weed out the pretenders on the roster (Kotalik). Maybe it just took some time to get players to buy into the level of commitment it takes to win in the NHL every night (this consistency is still a work in progress.

But above all else, I give Torts credit for realizing that the disasterous defensive play we saw early in the season needed to be addressed. Once that improved, other aspects of the game have followed.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
beastly115

Quote:
No. The team was bound to break out like this at some point. We scored 1 goal in the 3 games before this explosion. The underachievers are finally breaking out of their slump.

I have, however, noticed that the team is playing in harmony, much like they did when they started the season. They're playing with much more confidence, they're passing the puck better, they're forechecking harder. I don't expect them to keep it up for long.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
RangerFan1587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
1. It's two games, let's see what happens.

4. Voros's addition and Brashear and Kotalik's absence gives the team a different spirit and personality, and while we're talking about players who play very few minutes, don't underestimate the significance of this. I've talked about this team's spirit and personality all season. Its just different having Voros in the room.

This point I think is the main reason why the Rangers have had success the last two games. Brashear was Sather's worst signing this offseason, and you could say Kotalik's was pretty miserable too. Brashear does not win fights anymore and he is useless on the ice. Huggy Bear can sit from now and let Voros forecheck his butt off create chances, draw penalties, and hey even score some more PP goals by parking in front of the net, which we never do.

Keep that line together Torts' it brings energy to the rest of the guys!

RangerFan1587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
NikC

the team was starting to gel in prospals absence. His return threw a monkey wrench in things because he was slightly out of step.

Not so much the last 2 games!!!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
bumrusherer

Its just fundamental Hockey though..right?

Forecheck hard, get pucks to the net, get bodies following those pucks. I think it just seems really special because it is something we havent done in quite a few years.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I think (and really hope) that you are on to something here. It takes a while for any coach to get his system right. Torts' said in camp it would be December before things were well in place. I also think he has adjusted to the personnel on hand (i.e. rolling lines more than depending on his top six) as well as strengthening the team defense concept. Let's see how this goes on the next road trip.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
The Thomas J.*

I knew Cally would break out evantually, He broke out in the second half of the season last year, he had similar results the year before. He could get burned out by the playoffs like he was last year, although we did not have Gaborik last year either.

Dubi has looked like the player he was touted to be in scouting reports when he was drafted. We saw flashs in spurts here & there, but there was somthing about how he has played the past 2 games that looks diffrent. Only time will tell if he is turning a corner or if it's another short lived spurt.

I love the 4th line. I don't think Avery is a 4th line player but he is doing a great job right now & those 3 guys are geling. Voros should be play everynight form here on out.

If Higgins could start scoring like he is suppossed to than we might have somthing, but I think we still need another go to guy on the 2nd line.

It's coming together, still needs work.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
94now

I think Torts plays pretty much Renney's system at this time. His ability to challenge players by various methods is undisputed. That what makes the difference as of late, not so called system.

Good system allows to be more efficient, i.e. to achieve better results with same effort. I do not see that happening. All I can see is a better result due to more effort, which is fine with me. That is not a better system, though.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Dubi has looked like the player he was touted to be in scouting reports when he was drafted.
A third liner?

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:56 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I think that this is the part of the season that Torotella was thinking of when he stressed conditioning.

Conditioning isn't evident in the first 15 minutes of a workout, conditioning is monitored 30-45 minutes into a one hour workout.

We are in that 30-45 minute stretch of the season right now and if we are truly a well conditioned team, playing the way we played the last 2 games is sustainable.

Torotella

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote