HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#52 - 01.23.2010 | New York Rangers @ Montréal Canadiens | 7:00 PM - PIX11 (HD)

Old
01-24-2010, 05:24 AM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
Hmm, I went from 'decent 1st, better team' to 'what the ***** is this?'. Not surprised though.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I don't know if the reffing was just "meh", it was quite atrocious. Massenhoven hates the Rangers.

Rodent produced a photo. Nice grab & hold by Markov, yet Gaborik is the one penalized, because he holds out his elbow when Markov is about to pass him. Instead of a 5 on 3, the PP is negated.

edit: Forget the photo, just look it up on his site instead.
that picture is kinda misleading..Gabby goes out of his way to get in front of markov and sorta shoves his arm, elbow and shoulder into Markov...when watching it live, i immediately thought gabby deserved a penalty for the play...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11

haha wow...i don't know if anyone else saw this, but I never did until just now and I realize it is after the flyers game but it is classic!!!! haha

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
does anyone have the full interview from avery? I've read some quotes, but it sounds like he really called his team out and i'd like to hear the whole thing. thanks!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:49 AM
bubba5

Is it over yet?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
that picture is kinda misleading..Gabby goes out of his way to get in front of markov and sorta shoves his arm, elbow and shoulder into Markov...when watching it live, i immediately thought gabby deserved a penalty for the play...
Still, what was Markov's arm doing over Gabby's body? With how the game is reffed today, that's a classic holding penalty on Markov.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:54 AM
dedalus

Meh. For the rest of the league, poor officiating should be an issue.

For Rangers fans last night, the reffing was a sideshow. The story here is that the Blueshirts were hideous.

THAT'S what needs to get fixed.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:54 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

We can dissect the reffing all day long, but they are not the ones that allowed MTL's forwards to make smores in the paint.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Still, what was Markov's arm doing over Gabby's body? With how the game is reffed today, that's a classic holding penalty on Markov.
Bad call that really shifted a lot of momentum in the game. No doubt about it.

Gaborik basically got called for "thinking" about committing a interference. He stopped skating, waited for Markov to skate up next to him -- then did not really hold him back. Still Van Massenhoven went on instincts and called him.

I do however think its a heat of the moment type of misstake by the reff. Those will always happend. But it did effect the game tonight.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Bad call that really shifted a lot of momentum in the game. No doubt about it.

Gaborik basically got called for "thinking" about committing a interference. He stopped skating, waited for Markov to skate up next to him -- then did not really hold him back. Still Van Massenhoven went on instincts and called him.

I do however think its a heat of the moment type of misstake by the reff. Those will always happend. But it did effect the game tonight.
Guys you blame the ref when you lose a close game, not get crushed 6-0 and have only scored in 3 of your last 7 games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:39 AM
broadwayblue

Who was it, Christensen or Higgins (I think I already blocked it out) who missed on the near side on a wide open play in the first? Convert there and the game goes in a different direction. We controlled most of the play in the first, but ended up down 0-1. That's no excuse for the abominable 2nd...but when you miss glorious chances it often comes back to haunt you in the end.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
NYR510

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Who was it, Christensen or Higgins (I think I already blocked it out) who missed on the near side on a wide open play in the first? Convert there and the game goes in a different direction. We controlled most of the play in the first, but ended up down 0-1. That's no excuse for the abominable 2nd...but when you miss glorious chances it often comes back to haunt you in the end.
Christensen.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:19 AM
crisb

I missed the game. (Thank god) I heard only Avery played. True?

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Guys you blame the ref when you lose a close game, not get crushed 6-0 and have only scored in 3 of your last 7 games.
I don't blame him. I just think he's an incompetent ref who lets his personal bias towards the teams affect his calls. I've seen some ref stats for penalties for and against, (rodent had produced them) Assenhoven's stats when he refs us sure wasn't pretty. Sure, there is a possibility those refs only reffed games where one specific team was always hugely outplayed, but I doubt it.

Massenhoven is a typical Rangers hater and doesn't try to hide it. If there is a huge favour in calls against the away team, you can bet your life savings it's probably Massenhoven who is involved and it's usually the Rangers against Buffalo, Chicago or whatever.

Would we have lost this game anyway? Probably, this team sucks donkey balls, since the forward depth is one of the worst in the league and the defense too young to be competitive, while the veterans aren't playing like veterans at all. We're like a junior team. We have third liners having to play on the first line, since $ather pays third liners franchise money. But being reffed by Assenhoven didn't help one bit. Either Assenhoven is incompetent, or we have the constant unfortune of him always being paired with another ref who calls nothing, while Assenhoven calls everything he can and can't see on our end.

It's also often the same crap when we play Philly away, but then it's the other way. We always get two refs who swallow the whistle, against teams we absolutely hope that will not be the case. And then it escalates out of hand when they call nothing and lose control of the game.

NHL brags about having the best hockey refs in the world, but I highly doubt it. The difference between pro refs and half-pro refs is negligible. There are some that are good, the ones that are hardly noticed at all. Massenhoven sure ain't one of them.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I agree the officiating last night was ******, and I expect nothing less from van Massenhoven, but the officiating isn't what cost us the game. It was the porous defense and our inability to clear people out of the crease.

Rozival was awful (back to his usual self), Redden, Gilroy and Staal were doing loop-de-loops running around in the zone and Del Zotto is missing checks going headfirst into the boards and hurting himself. No one played concrete defense last night and hung Lundqvist out to dry. I feel bad for the guy, real team player when you don't point fingers except at yourself when clearly your defense sucked in front of you.

Combine that with incompetent forwards who try and make pretty plays when they are all a bunch of 3rd liners save Gaborik and maybe Dubinsky and you got yourself a ****show. Enver Lisin needs to be scratched. I'm tired of seeing him speed through the zone and either: 1) fall on his ass and turn the puck over, 2) try and make a pretty deke like AO or Crosby or Kane, screw it up and fall on his ass turning the puck over 3) Shoot the puck right into a defender, turn the puck over 4) Shoot the puck high and wide over the net into the netting (ultimately turning possession over).

I like Lisin's speed but the kid doesn't have the talent to play the way he is playing and belongs on the 4th line or scratched. I rather them call up PAP Smear or Grachev at this point and see how they do.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
We can dissect the reffing all day long, but they are not the ones that allowed MTL's forwards to make smores in the paint.
Dissect - Tort's favorite word.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post

haha wow...i don't know if anyone else saw this, but I never did until just now and I realize it is after the flyers game but it is classic!!!! haha
gehahahah what a gem

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
storm fan

anyone have the entire avery's interview? would love to read it

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
"I'm not going to dissect the game."

Three times.

Yeah, that's because you don't have a clue.

Couldn't have picked a worse coach.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:29 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Torts has had what...less than a full season to work on this team? Renney got a ton more time than that.

and renney had consistant playoff appearances with essentially the same bag of tools...this team will NOT make the playoffs.
Renney was smart enough to realize he had little to no scoring production and implemented a defensive scheme that won them more games than they probobly shouldve won. Torts still hasnt figured this out. So ya maybe another year or 2 and he'll figure it out, im not holding my breath

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
OverTheCap

Avery should be wearing an "A":

Quote:
"You can say it's a lack of preparation, but that's BS; it's a lack of competitiveness," Sean Avery, perhaps the Blueshirts' best player, told The Post. "We do not play hard enough.

"I don't have the explanation for it. I don't know if it's us not holding each other accountable, or what, but it's a total lack of respect for our fans and the organization. It's a joke."
I am so tired of the cliched quotes from everyone other than Avery and Lundqvist.

Gaborik: "We need to learn from our mistakes." When are you guys going to learn?! The season is more than halfway over! Last week, Cally said "we just have to drive to the net on a more consistent level if we want to win games." Don't say it, do it! This team does not practice what they preach, enough with the stupid soundbites and excuses.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
and renney had consistant playoff appearances with essentially the same bag of tools...this team will NOT make the playoffs.
Renney was smart enough to realize he had little to no scoring production and implemented a defensive scheme that won them more games than they probobly shouldve won. Torts still hasnt figured this out. So ya maybe another year or 2 and he'll figure it out, im not holding my breath
I like the that the best thing to show with his time as Rangers coach is being eliminated in the 2nd round of the playoffs and now people on these boards hold him up as the end all be all of coaching.

I'm a Tom Renney fan, but jeez, get over it.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

"I don't have the explanation for it. I don't know if it's us not holding each other accountable, or what, but it's a total lack of respect for our fans and the organization. It's a joke." -Avery

What more needs to be said? Look at that last sentence... that speaks volumes about what this team IS behind closed doors. Say what you will about the makeup, the roster, the talent (or lack thereof), the leadership, etc. but this says more to me about the truth of what's wrong than anything we could see on the ice.

This "team" is in serious trouble.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
crisb

Shows who are the real leaders behind closed doors. Maybe it's time for another closed door meeting held by Henrik and Avery.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

From everything we are seeing, I stresss; WE ARE SEEING (quotes, media reports, etc) Drury is far from being the leader of this team.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote