HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving from Montreal to Edmonton

Old
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Phaedrus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
Moving out west will be a bit of a cultural change, but will be fine if you embrace it! I've lived in Edmonton (and St. Albert), Calgary, and Vancouver, and can say with a straight face that of all those places, Edmonton is my favourite.

In Edmonton, there are much less of the arrogant, self-centred, condescending types of people you'll find in the other two major western cities. People in Edmonton are accepting, and the only true currency is hard work. If you work at something here, you will be successful -- it's not about who you know or how much money your family has, you'll be treated like everyone else here. In that sense, it's the most egalitarian major city in the country. Millionaires routinely rub elbows with normal joes, and neither of them would be wise to the other.

In terms of business climate, Edmonton really can't be beat. Very competitive tax regime at the provincial and municipal level. Labour market has softened in the last two years so finding people isn't nearly as tough. Fantastic commercial space available in most areas of the city. The city is just starting to hit its stride in terms of urban planning, mass transit, etc. For the last half century it just sprawled its way out of trouble, but now more and more people are moving to the city's long-neglected core, or university areas.

The nightlife is decent, easily comparable to Calgary and Vancouver, if not better. Whyte Ave is a lot of fun, not just for the bars but the theatre district as well. The downtown scene has picked up exponentially over the last 10 years, with many new trendy spots to spend your money. Meeting new people can be a bit difficult, but if you seek out activities you like, friends are soon to follow. You need to find your friends, not the other way around. One drawback is that the selection of women in Edmonton is probably the shallowest in the country. The good ones are snapped off the market pretty early, and it's hard to locate them in the first place. But they do exist, and are every bit the spirited western girls you may have met before. I was lucky enough to trap one ...

The hockey scene is one of the strongest in the country. Fans are all extremely knowledgeable, and I'd say per capita is the most hockey knowledgeable city in the country. If you play, there are many men's leagues. Most every kid grows up playing the game. There are assloads of outdoor rinks that become neighbourhood social hubs in the winter. Fans are tolerant of other fans, but can really get on the obnoxious ones (see: Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary). Habs fans and Edmonton fans are very similar I find, which is why fans of those teams generally like the other as well.

The weather is the biggest drawback compared to, say, Vancouver. Sometimes during cold snaps you feel shut in a bit. But for every two week stretch of minus 30, there will be a stretch of minus 5, so it's not that bad. The summers can get very hot. But it's almost always sunny here, no matter which season.

Access to recreation is above average. Calgary is only an hour away from Banff, and we're a good 3.5 from Jasper. But to be only a few hours away from some of the most beautiful natural scenery on the planet is perfectly fine to me. I hike extensively in the summer in Jasper, Banff, Kooteney, or Yoho national parks. There are many lakes within a two hour drive of the city as well for world-class fishing. Jack, walleye, whitefish, hell you can even find Sturgeons out here. Hunting too, if that's your fancy.

The River Valley cuts straight through the city from one end to the other, and it's green and surprisingly beautiful through it's entire length. Probably the one thing that surprises people most about Edmonton. Take a walk, run, or bike ride through the valley and it's many adjoining ravines, and you will get the full Edmonton experience. The lobby to keep it green is incredibly strong, and it's a large source of civic pride.

Shopping is above average. West Edmonton Mall gets all the press, and it is actually quite ridiculous to witness for the first time. It's most a tourist trap though. Southgate mall, Kingsway, City Centre, and South Edmonton Common (power shopping centre) are the mains. I read once that Edmonton has the largest amount of retail space per capita in the world, and it wouldn't be too hard to believe. By whyte and 124 St are where you find the more refined experience, with boutiques, galleries, antiques, etc.

Overall, Edmonton is what you make of it. If you sit and stew about the weather and how you're not meeting people, well then, you were a boring prat to begin with. It offers something for everyone, you just have to be a bit resourceful and explore it for yourself. Someone earlier mentioned it being a frontier city, and I couldn't agree more. You get by on your own merits, and opportunity is just idly sitting there for anyone to take it. You can quite easily become a big fish in a small pond. I, for one, love it here.

All true. I would also like to add that the culture side of Edmonton is second to none. If you are into music, it might be surprising to find out that Edmonton is one of the music hubs of North America. I know someone who moved from Montreal to Edmonton to further her music career (I also know a fair number of musicians who remain in Edmonton for the same reason - live music is never far away). Edmonton has the second largest Folk Festival in North America; it also hosts a constant stream of festivals through out the summer months - and if you want to take part in Calgary's one event during the summer - the Stampede, its only a few hours away. Like West Edmonton Mall it is worth experiencing once. Whyte Ave., as has been mentioned, can be a very entertaining place - especially in the summer; restaurants, unique shopping, pubs, some great patios, it has it all. Others can claim all they want, there are not a lot of streets like Whyte (and I mean that in a good way).

Edmonton is what you make of it... just like anywhere else.

Things are happening in Edmonton; the river valley really is a point of pride for a lot of people (myself included), and I rather like the city's skyline - perched as it is on the edge of the valley. I have lived in Calgary, and I much prefer Edmonton.

Coming from Montreal though, things will be different.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
well in december of 09, it was BELOW minus 50 with wind chill one day , and stayed around minus 40 with a wind chill for an entire week...

JUST SAYIN
Just sayin... why live in Edmonton (or most of Canada for that matter) if you don't like cold weather. Move somewhere warmer. Complaining about the weather is nonsensical. The weather is simply a fact and the only solution is not to live there. The weather is not a point of critique, the mindset of people who dislike the cold and choose to live somewhere where it inevitably gets cold is a point of critique.

NEWS FLASH - EDMONTON GETS COLD!

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:06 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Just sayin... why live in Edmonton (or most of Canada for that matter) if you don't like cold weather. Move somewhere warmer. Complaining about the weather is nonsensical. The weather is simply a fact and the only solution is not to live there. The weather is not a point of critique, the mindset of people who dislike the cold and choose to live somewhere where it inevitably gets cold is a point of critique.

NEWS FLASH - EDMONTON GETS COLD!
Very true! You'll have a very short list of places you could possibly live if you can't take a little cold. New York, Toronto, Chicago are all great cities and all get as cold as Edmonton.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I see your location is Toronto

Kettle calling the pot black if you ask me

When I lived in Edmonton--it was a passtime mocking those who did not wear oiler colours
Well I don't know if you are in a different social circle than I am but a lot of people I know don't even like the oilers and some of the most common jerseys I see in public are habs jerseys.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I would agree with almost all of what Replacement says, though I would be very surprised if real estate was cheaper. Edmonton is much more expensive than Waterloo for example.
Waterloo is a good bargain. Good place to live from everything I've heard.

Edmonton is cheaper than Montreal.

One has to factor in the type of real estate one is getting as well. In Toronto or Montreal its more Condos, or Townhomes or smaller houses and small lots.
You get a lot more lot and Sq ft. here for the price. Usually a garage too.

300k gets you in a lot of houses here right now. With a very reasonable commute. Hard to get close to central Montreal for a reasonable price.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about life in Edmonton.
I was thinking of moving there from Montreal to open a small business. I'm hoping I would have more success then I've had in Montreal.

How is life over there? Is it more expensive living in Edmonton?
What else could you tell me about Alberta and Edmonton.

Can I wear a Habs jersey on the streets? lol
Montreal is obviously a wonderful city, but I think lots of people here are selling Edmonton short. I think it has to do with people and thier loathing of living in their hometown. I've lived in Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton, and I have to say Edmonton is second only to Vancouver overall, and first when I consider cost of living, ease of movement, and people I was fortunate enough to meet. There are alot of very beautiful things about the city, and plenty to see and do. Also a great town for raising a family.

As for the Habs thing, there are tons of Habs fans in Edmonton, and most people really have a brotherhood feeling with the Canadiens and the Oilers because the franchises are somewhat similar in thier histories (of course Montreal's being so much longer)

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
oil slick

Having lived in both Edmonton and Montreal for a great many years -- there are good and bad parts to both. Montreal clearly has a lot more going on just because of its size and the fact that it's more cosmopolitan, but I think Edmonton has enough stuff happening that if you put in effort, it's a good time.

I actually think the weather in Montreal can be just as bad as Edmonton -- the cold in Edmonton offset by the ludicrous amounts of snow in Montreal. Summers are nicer in Edmonton.

I think the people in both cities are great -- Edmontonians are a little friendlier, but Montrealers seem a little more diverse/interesting.

Culturally, I've got to say that Montreal was more enjoyable. Perhaps some people could argue the fringe is more enjoyable than the jazz festival (Jazz festival is crazy good though), or the music scene in Edmonton is good (music scene in Montreal is great also), but you just don't get the same vibe from anywhere in Edmonton as you do from a summer day on St. Denis, or at Mont Royal.

If you're a guy, Montreal is definitely better for the eye candy (more a reflection on Montreal than Edmonton).

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 275
have to admit when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought it might have been started by Georges Laraque.

also, many people who like thier city can be sensitive, and this isn't the most beautiful city. but for this isn't a thread you should be saracstic and "witty" if that's what you want to call it, and only focusing on the negatives.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
As somebody who has their location listed as BC, you have to be aware that Edmonton winters are a lot colder than other major Canadian cities.
I lived in Edmonton prior to moving to BC.

01-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I grew up in Edmonton. Cheering for another team and wearing the jersey is no worries at all. You'll get the occasional jest, but respectful and friendly. Even if you're a Flames fan (which thankfully doesn't sound like the case ).

As opposed to here in Vancouver. I wear my Oilers jersey downtown if I'm seeing them at GM Place, and let me tell you there's alot of knobs and jackasses in this city. I know it's probably a few bad apples. But yelling and cursing at opposing fans makes the whole bunch look like idiots.
In general there is a severe lack of respect amongst sports fans in this city for anyone not cheering for the home team. Lions games can be especially bad.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
In general there is a severe lack of respect amongst sports fans in this city for anyone not cheering for the home team. Lions games can be especially bad.
Yeah, I'd be checking over my shoulder all the time going to a game wearing an Esks jersey/shirt/hat. I used to work right next to BC Place so I've seen the drunken droves on their way to the game on a Friday night from Surrey.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I lived in Edmonton prior to moving to BC.
That was my point. I have lived in several different cities accross the country, and I have found that although other places get cold from time to time, Edmonton get's the coldest and for the longest amount of time.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
That was my point. I have lived in several different cities accross the country, and I have found that although other places get cold from time to time, Edmonton get's the coldest and for the longest amount of time.
It used to be a lot colder than it is now. It got into -40 without the windchill back in the day.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Yeah, I'd be checking over my shoulder all the time going to a game wearing an Esks jersey/shirt/hat. I used to work right next to BC Place so I've seen the drunken droves on their way to the game on a Friday night from Surrey.
The last two games have been just peachy since it's about a dozen of us from Esksfans going. It also helps when the Lions lose by more than 40 points.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:11 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
It used to be a lot colder than it is now. It got into -40 without the windchill back in the day.
Very true, but Edmonton is still plenty cold. When I was back there this Christmas visiting from Toronto, I couldn't believe how cold it was in comparison. Edmonton is cold.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
well in december of 09, it was BELOW minus 50 with wind chill one day , and stayed around minus 40 with a wind chill for an entire week...

JUST SAYIN
And what do you know...life went on! We're all still here, alive and well!

Like others have said, Edmonton is what you make of it. If you go out and try to experience the city and what it offers, you will love it here. The cold really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. It's generally about 2-3 weeks (not at once) of -30 weather, the rest is quite manageable (-20 to -5 type stuff, with temps above 0 as well).

I think one of the reasons Edmonton gets it's negative perceptions is that people come here expecting it to be Vancouver, Montreal, TO, etc without realizing that all those cities are more than 3x larger than Edmonton is, and as such will obviously offer some more amenities.

That being said, there is plenty to do in Edmonton, many of which have been listed so I won't bother writing them all down again.

If you make the move, good luck to you.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
mustang0304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I have found the Western Canada, in general, are very tolerent of opposing fans wearing their team's apparel. I live in Calgary, and lived in Vancouver for many years, and in both places I wear Oiler gear consistantly, and can say I've never been accosted by any local fans.

The only thing you don't do is wear your Habs jersey to an Oiler game if the Habs aren't playing. Don't be that guy, Rexall folk don't like that guy.
I wear my autographed Guy Lafleur jersey to oil games when the habs aren't play and not one time anyone said anything about it except nice jersey.Oil fans are very respectful.Just wondering have you ever been to a game or are you just shooting from the hip?

mustang0304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Edmonton is a LOT cheaper than Montreal and Vancouver what with the lower tax.

I dunno... it's Edmonton.... i'd check to see how competitive the market is for your services there first before moving.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
Moving out west will be a bit of a cultural change, but will be fine if you embrace it! I've lived in Edmonton (and St. Albert), Calgary, and Vancouver, and can say with a straight face that of all those places, Edmonton is my favourite.

In terms of business climate, Edmonton really can't be beat. Very competitive tax regime at the provincial and municipal level. Labour market has softened in the last two years so finding people isn't nearly as tough. Fantastic commercial space available in most areas of the city. The city is just starting to hit its stride in terms of urban planning, mass transit, etc. For the last half century it just sprawled its way out of trouble, but now more and more people are moving to the city's long-neglected core, or university areas.

The Edmonton Journal is reporting that a company that was in Nisku (Just outside Edmonton) for a long time will be moving it's operations to Wallaceburg, Ontario....

"The company plans to pay its skilled workers $14 an hour, compared with the $25 to $30 an hour it pays at Nisku, said a Precismeca employee, who wanted to remain anonymous." http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...038/story.html

In another Edmonton Journal story titled "Taxes, utilities among nation's highest", people are complaining about the massive sprawl. That's all this city does is sprawl then they want to build LRT lines where express buses can easily handle the transit load....
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...055/story.html

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
complaining about the massive sprawl. That's all this city does is sprawl then they want to build LRT lines where express buses can easily handle the transit load....
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...055/story.html

In my experience, most of the people who say "busses are as good as the LRT" are people who take neither and drive everywhere.

The whole point of LRT is to provide a fast mode of mass transportation that leads to fewer vehicles on urban roads, which helps fight pollution. Since trains can handle more people than busses, that also encourages development of denser areas, which is the antithesis of sprawl.

Old
01-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi View Post
I doubt having to plug my car would be much of a problem. Houses are less expensive then in Montreal? I was under the impression that a House would be on average 100k more then in Montreal.

Also thanks for all the useful informations. Anything else I should know about life there?
There's allot of golf courses in the city and surrounding areas, if you like that....A 1 1/2 hour drive North to Athabasca in the summer to their golf course and scenery is a yearly jaunt that I look forward to

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Six in O6

You'll be fine. People only trash those wearing Canucks and Flames jerseys. I wear Habs shirts and touques all the time and people are always saying good things. Also, I havn't plugged my 13 year old car in at all this winter and it has started every time.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
otto84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
but more expensive and more corrupt
A little more expensive to live in the second best city in the world - I'm not complaining.

And corrupt? Phhh, says you.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
In my experience, most of the people who say "busses are as good as the LRT" are people who take neither and drive everywhere.

The whole point of LRT is to provide a fast mode of mass transportation that leads to fewer vehicles on urban roads, which helps fight pollution. Since trains can handle more people than busses, that also encourages development of denser areas, which is the antithesis of sprawl.
The west leg is just taking space that a bus can take. The LRT works fine if it has it's own space it does not have to share with regular traffic.

As for the fairy tale of population density, Calgary has a larger LRT system and they are nothing but sprawl, probably caused by the LRT...

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
The west leg is just taking space that a bus can take.
That is the whole point to rail -- replacing fossil fuel vehicles.

Quote:
The LRT works fine if it has it's own space it does not have to share with regular traffic.
That's how most light rail systems work.

Perhaps you're referring to the western LRT extension that the mayor rammed down everyone's throat at the expense of his own experts on staff? I'm not really in the loop there.

Quote:
As for the fairy tale of population density, Calgary has a larger LRT system and they are nothing but sprawl, probably caused by the LRT...
No... the LRT allows density, but if the urban planners refuse to take advantage of that, that's their fault.