HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iowa gets AHL team

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 04:02 PM
mage23

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Iowa gets AHL team

No, this isn't Sharks related, but it should certainly allow Kevin to get to more AHL games, beginning in 2005

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...7d003c4321.txt

Old
04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Kevin Wey

Yeah maybe, if I'm still in Iowa in 2005. Coach Murdoch, the head coach here at ISU, told me about this on Monday and told me if I wanted, he'd help me get an internship there to fulfill my internship requirement here at ISU. Obviously I was flattered that he approached me about this possibility, before it was even officially announced, which I will have to consider of course. Coach Murdoch helped place one of our former players, Tony Infusino, into a marketing internship with the Philadelphia Flyers/Phantoms. Infusino now works for the Chicago Wolves in marketing.

Anyway, this has been the rumor for two years since it was announced that Des Moines would be getting the new Iowa Events Center. (Don't know if anyone remembers me talking about that. It even got a quick mention in THN last year.)

Old
04-21-2004, 05:03 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Anyway, this has been the rumor for two years since it was announced that Des Moines would be getting the new Iowa Events Center. (Don't know if anyone remembers me talking about that. It even got a quick mention in THN last year.)
Yup, I do remember you talking about that. Nice to see that it's moving forward, a couple years later!

Old
04-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Kevin Wey

This should mean next year will be the last Last Annual "Insert Event Here" for the Des Moines Buccaneers. Don't ask me where the USHL would try to move that franchise.

Mason City already said no to a Junior B team in the MJHL: that's what their high school program got accomplished according to my former Junior B coach in the MJHL. (The Northwest Wisconsin Knights of Spooner are going to have to move or fold.) Rochester, MN and Dubuque already have had USHL teams and are happy with their MJHL teams. The USHL just might end up short a franchise.

I hope Des Moines can really support an AHL team. I have no illusions that it'll pull a Manchester Monarchs or Wilkes Barre Penguins. (Harold Baldwin's previous AHL teams) They should average more fans than, well, Cleveland I suppose. West Des Moines and surrounding suburbs are wealthy however, so if the team can mobilize those people to take interest, maybe the AHL can stay in Des Moines on a profitable nature. Their tickets will have to be lower than say what'd the Chicago Wolves and Milwaukee Admirals charge though.

It would help if ISU's football and basketball teams remain mediocre

Closed Thread