HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Fans Really Patient?

Old
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
I said outside of the last 2 years. I know Burke has drafted a lot of US players. I guess it was easy to miss where I said that.
Then 7 U.S. draft picks and 7 Swedish draft picks with 1 U.S. pick getting any NHL games and 6 Swedish picks playing in the NHL.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
when we get rid of player's like Stralman, we will never find that "Datsyuk or Zetterberg"
I agree, and we can add Jönsson and Markov to that list. But we only kept Kaberle. Now that would have been a nice trio of defenders to build the team in the early '00s on. But it's not really the point.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Jerkini

It's hard to be patient when the only things you have to look forward to are taken away on a constant basis.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Leafidelity
Soon™

vCash: 1775
lol patience. Ya right.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Stephen

Generally speaking, I hate mid round college picks. I guess in theory it's good because you draft an unpolished kid at 18 or whatever and you let the schools develop them till they're 22-23 and ready to play for you, but from our experience, these guys are never ready upon graduation, and end up being useless AHL fodder anyway. The Leafs should just concentrate on drafting the boom or bust offensive dynamos in the middle late rounds and hope they stumble on something like they did with Stefanovich. Obviously the jury is still out but with picks like that at least you have something to look forward to instead of more Tyler Ruegseggers and whatnot.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
lol patience. Ya right.
How can we be impatient when we are powerless to act?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Well my point is being proven even with the responses.

Why is Burke only given a year to turn the team around?
What are you yammering on about? Is your argument that Burke can't be criticized in the interim? Please tell me the amount of time I need to wait before I can criticize the progress of our team. Burke has a fair amount of time the turn the team around, but he gambled on making the playoffs this year, and has failed spectacularly. Oh wait, sorry, am I being impatient for making that observation?

Quote:
In fact he's been a GM longer than some of you have been fans, so I trust his judgement more than I trust some internet fan.
His judgement and his results are seperate. He is clearly more qualified than any of us to run an NHL hockey team. At the same time, his first year has been a disaster. He tried to make the playoffs-- in the interim, he gave away our first round picks and then saw the team fall to the bottom of the league. We may not END there, and I really hope we don't, but the fact of the matter is, this year has been a disaster so far. I don't need patience to evaluate that.

Quote:
I'm willing to give Burke a few more years to either hang himself or show that the money spent to bring him here was worth it.
Currently, Burke has failed miserably-- that is a fact. Whether or not he turns it around in the future is another issue, but this year has been a disaster up until now. Liking Burke and thinking this year have been a disaster are not mutually exclusive. I think Burke is a good GM, and I don't think he was a bad choice, but, so far, this year, his moves have blown up in his face. If the Leafs go on some run and push the pick outside of the top 3, that may not be the case, but in the meantime, watching this team flop around at the bottom of the league, without the normal reward, is a bad thing.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote