HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ilves fans walk out on team in the middle of game

Old
01-23-2010, 01:33 PM
ThinMcWhistle

vCash: 500
OT: Ilves fans walk out on team in the middle of game

Just thought it might be interesting for some of you to see how the fans are responding to the lousy performance of a team in Finland. Unfortunately the article is in Finnish (there are a couple of telling pictures though).

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...84523_jk.shtml

Synopsis:

Upset fans of Tampere Ilves walked out on their team in the middle of a game against the Espoo Blues calling for the "head" of the team's owner Vincent Manngard.

The fans accuse the team management of being unprofessional, and of having no heart. They are demanding a change in management, including the withdrawal of the teams owner.

All this while the team has been struggling for several years, finishing near the middle of the standings, and in 2003 finishing in last place overall. The team is currently mired in a 11-5-24 record and last place in the current standings.

Maybe the Maple Leafs fans could learn something from this?

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Gberg

it's a great idea, but in my opinion after JFJ was gotten rid of, and Burke brought in, there's an obvious desire to win.

I'll give the boys 2-3 more years before I'm actually tempted to start a riot.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
Just thought it might be interesting for some of you to see how the fans are responding to the lousy performance of a team in Finland. Unfortunately the article is in Finnish (there are a couple of telling pictures though).

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...84523_jk.shtml

Synopsis:

Upset fans of Tampere Ilves walked out on their team in the middle of a game against the Espoo Blues calling for the "head" of the team's owner Vincent Manngard.

The fans accuse the team management of being unprofessional, and of having no heart. They are demanding a change in management, including the withdrawal of the teams owner.

All this while the team has been struggling for several years, finishing near the middle of the standings, and in 2003 finishing in last place overall. The team is currently mired in a 11-5-24 record and last place in the current standings.

Maybe the Maple Leafs fans could learn something from this?
Is that right? If so, that's a lot of ties.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
Is that right? If so, that's a lot of ties.
Sorry, the order of the wins, ties, and losses is in a different format on the SM liiga website.

It's 11 wins, 5 ties, and 24 losses.

Old
01-23-2010, 01:42 PM
stoney

Perhaps you would consider walking away from the discussion board in protest?

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Perhaps you would consider walking away from the discussion board in protest?
Nah, I think I'll stick around just to annoy some of you diehard fans.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Nah, I think I'll stick around just to annoy some of you diehard fans.
Admitting to trolling is probably not the best way to stick around

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Leafs and Ilves. Both are once great teams that have wallowed in mediocrity for years and years. Neither team has the ability or patience to develop their own prospects. Instead they bring in mediocre grinders to take roster spots.

For both fan bases summer is always the best time of the season. We always dream that NEXT season is going to be THE season when the nightmare ends. And it never is. I'm an Ilves fan and it's gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore. So I can very well relate to what you guys are going through. Maybe that's why I'm always reading your boards. And... it's much more fun reading you whine and moan than it is reading my fellow Ilves fans doing so

Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I watch hockey for fun- it is not the main component of my life- If the Leafs lose, it honestly doesn't bother me to the point of staging a childish protest. Hockey is still hockey, and it's still fun to watch.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
How is this article trolling? Explain that to me and then we can talk about this again.

I am simply admitting that there are certain posters around here (including yourself) who dislike me because of my harsh criticism of the team we are BOTH fans of.

Should I stop just because you don't approve? Nah. I don't think so.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

MLSE showed at least some desire to win with the hiring of Wilson and Burke. They are both very experienced "hockey guys"...I would have loved to see a walk about 4-5 years ago though......but sports teams are usually best operated by a single passionate owner instead of a board of corporate like individuals, almost all with different agendas. But, as in the case with the Ilves, that always not the case either.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
KapG

Quote:
How is this article trolling? Explain that to me and then we can talk about this again.

I am simply admitting that there are certain posters around here (including yourself) who dislike me because of my harsh criticism of the team we are BOTH fans of.

Should I stop just because you don't approve? Nah. I don't think so.
jeeeeze didn't you know finska, you aren't allowed to question the moves this team makes or the way RW is coaching this team.

If you DO question ANYTHING the coaches and or management do you are committing something like treason (atleast it seems that way with some people around here).

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
KapG

Quote:
I take it he meant he was going to continue to state his opinions which some of you hate to hear so much.

that isn't trolling.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
oneleafsfan

When tickets are so expensive, why walk out? I've been a Leafs fan for 37 years and only been to a few games because of the cost of tickets. If I had tickets, I'd want to see my team play. I wouldn't walk out on them. If I was going to do that I would have started to root for another team a long time ago.

oneleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Rhinorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleafsfan View Post
When tickets are so expensive, why walk out? I've been a Leafs fan for 37 years and only been to a few games because of the cost of tickets. If I had tickets, I'd want to see my team play. I wouldn't walk out on them. If I was going to do that I would have started to root for another team a long time ago.
Because they are sending a message to the owners telling them they are not happy with the way the team has been run and that is why they walked out. It was a protest. As for watching the team play I am sure some people probably stayed during the game but most left in protest. I am intrigued to find out what the outcome of all this will be or if anything happens with the owners.

Rhinorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
I take it he meant he was going to continue to state his opinions which some of you hate to hear so much.

that isn't trolling.
Stating them over and over again precisely because people hate to hear it so much is, in fact, trolling.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleafsfan View Post
It's a little bit different in Finland. Tickets are not hard to get at all and even the most expensive tickets to Ilves games cost only 33 EUR = about 50 CAD. I wouldn't walk out from anything that cost over 100 euros. Not even Madonna concert last summer, and I really hated that. My wife forced me to go...

Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:57 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
It's what he does.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:58 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Stating them over and over again precisely because people hate to hear it so much is, in fact, trolling.
This is simple. If you don't want to hear it, then don't read it.

There are several people on this board who do want to read it because they agree with me. Sorry to those that disagree, no intention to offend anyone. I still believe that as this is an opinion forum, I have every right to voice mine.

It's not the same as someone going on ie. the Montreal board and bashing the team for no other reason than to piss people off. That's not at all my intention here. I believe that many of my posts have had validity, even if they have been somewhat controversial.

I am a Leaf fan, and ultimately want the best for this team. Anyone who knows me around here also knows that I have praised when praise is warranted.

Old
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
It Kills Me

Slightly over a year ago the Leafs made major changes in management, paid the big bucks to bring in the most reputable guys in hockey. You want us to walk out of a Leafs game, where tickets aren't cheap for another change in management?

Please.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
Slightly over a year ago the Leafs made major changes in management, paid the big bucks to bring in the most reputable guys in hockey. You want us to walk out of a Leafs game, where tickets aren't cheap for another change in management?

Please.
Let's say that the Leafs are being blown away 7-0 going into the 3rd period. You walk out instead of sticking around to torture yourself.

If half the people in the arena do it, it sends a clear message. I really think that the Leafs management has not done enough to acknowledge the displeasure of the fans in the face of another season without a hope of playoffs. It aggrevates me that Burke, Wilson, etc. can get in front of a microphone and have little temper tantrums when questioned about their record or their intentions to improve the team. There needs to be a heck of a lot more accountability. They are treating the fans like pawns. It shows the lack of respect that this organization has had, and continues to have for it's devoted followers.

Old
01-23-2010, 03:33 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Let's say that the Leafs are being blown away 7-0 going into the 3rd period. You walk out instead of sticking around to torture yourself.

If half the people in the arena do it, it sends a clear message. I really think that the Leafs management has not done enough to acknowledge the displeasure of the fans in the face of another season without a hope of playoffs. It aggrevates me that Burke, Wilson, etc. can get in front of a microphone and have little temper tantrums when questioned about their record or their intentions to improve the team. There needs to be a heck of a lot more accountability. They are treating the fans like pawns. It shows the lack of respect that this organization has had, and continues to have for it's devoted followers.
who knows if brian burke is brought in to win or to make sure profits stay up.....i bet hes never managed a fiscal losing team ,maybe hartford ....the leafs need a gm who can keep the gobs of money coming in.....and they hired a blow hard wo can spin the bull ......sh ..it with the best of them.IMO .BURKE AND WILSON . cant believe the hockey knowledge that us fans have
younger fans tho are the key ......they do have influence.with the different methods of protest today ..sure be a loyal fan but every ten years demand a winner or a contender.....im 52 yrs of age and i must say this last stretch including the loxckout has been tough......i live in windsor and have seen stanley cup and memorial cup parades,but in truth i cancelled the hockey package and leafs tv ....spending that money on a bleacher season ticket for the detroit tigers .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
oneleafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinorage View Post
Because they are sending a message to the owners telling them they are not happy with the way the team has been run and that is why they walked out. It was a protest. As for watching the team play I am sure some people probably stayed during the game but most left in protest. I am intrigued to find out what the outcome of all this will be or if anything happens with the owners.
But why bother to show up? just don't go to the game!

Old
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
oneleafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
It's a little bit different in Finland. Tickets are not hard to get at all and even the most expensive tickets to Ilves games cost only 33 EUR = about 50 CAD. I wouldn't walk out from anything that cost over 100 euros. Not even Madonna concert last summer, and I really hated that. My wife forced me to go...
Wow. A Madonna concert. You must be in love. If my wife wanted me to go to one of those i'd have to fake an injury!

Old
01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

It be cool to see happen in the ACC, but I'm not walking away from 60 buck seats

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote