HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bozak

Old
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
bluebarry

vCash: 500
Tyler Bozak

Im hoping some of the more seasons posters will comment on Tyler Bozak's future.

In the meantime ill give my impressions.

I'm not convinced that Bozak will inevitably make a lasting appeance as an NHLer.
I think his only realistic shot at an nhl career is as a number 2 centremen.
i don't think he has enough defensive strenghts to allow him to play 3rd/4th line checking duties and i really dont beleive he has the potential to become a first line centremen.

personaly i think Bozak is best suited as a call up when injuries occur on the top lines.
and not a main stay in the nhl.

bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Obama

For right now, he's doing great. The effort level from him is always there, and he can actually keep up with Kessel, something no other centre can do very well on our team. I see him as a solid #2 centre in the futre.

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarry View Post
Im hoping some of the more seasons posters will comment on Tyler Bozak's future.

I'm not convinced that Bozak will inevitably make a lasting appeance as an NHLer.
i don't think he has enough defensive strenghts to allow him to play 3rd/4th line checking duties and i really dont beleive he has the potential to become a first line centremen.

personaly i think Bozak is best suited as a call up when injuries occur on the top lines.
Okay, now tell us why.

He currently has 5 points in 7 games, an even plus/minus and is winning faceoffs at a 56% clip since being called up. Which part screams "AHLer" to you?

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Defense

He needs to keep things simple, he is trying to give Kessel the puck too much.

But this is a ROOKIE, why are we judging player's futures after less than 10 games?????

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
PresidentCamacho*

No one can predict the future.

However, Bozak and Kessel seem to be clicking as of now so I can't see him being sent down again this season. He skates as well as Kessel, sees the ice better than most of our established players. The only limitations i see are his ability to get stronger, play in his own end, and establish a forecheck. Kulemin seems to be doing everything in the way of puck battles.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Skates very well, excellent balance and acceleration, has a highly developed offensive acumen, has a slightly above average NHL wrist shot, has shown to be near elite level at all levels once acclimatized, carries the puck well in traffic, very good in the circle due to excellent hand speed and highly developed concentration levels

Still learning the game at the NHL level and needs to more aware defensively, needs to be stronger in the upper body

While Bozak may not be the long term answer as the #1 centre in Toronto, he has a higher sense of offense awareness than does Stajan and skates considerably better. there is no alternative at the moment and it is highly premature to judge this guy and tab him as nothing more than a 3/4 or career AHLer

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Not good enough defensively? Nearly every game Bozak wins pucks along the boards in the defensive zone.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
iBlaze81

The only knock I have on bozak is he's kinda weak on the boards, which leads to battles being lost and in some cases a goal was scored. He did have the swine flu and lost 12 pounds, so that might have something to do with that. Other then that I think he great offisive abilities and good sense of the game. He has had a tough year so far with the swine flu and ankle injury, hasen't played 10 games yet, so lets not jump too far on the judgement.

iBlaze81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Defense

He's amazing at faceoffs. He makes Stajan expendable this trade deadline. He can be our 2nd line centre next season and we can trade or sign a 1st line centre.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Zardoz

He is much better suited to the NHL... his speed and thought process don't mesh with the chaos that is the AHL. He is a bona-fide playmaker with speed, and enough size to not get knocked around. He doesn't play 'big' but he can certainly stand his ground...

I don't see how people can detract from his game right now. he's producing, he's playing fast and responsibly, and he's winning faceoffs. what more can you want from a projected NHL center? and the guy has sick hands; once he hits stride I see him as a potential 25g-30a center, and up.
Maybe he makes a drop pass here or there he shouldn't, but he's a rookie, and he's still working those habits out of his game.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
oneleafsfan

I'm hoping he becomes a good number 2 center who can kill penalties. So far he seems good in the faceoff circle which is very underated. It's hard for the other team to score if you have the puck. Even if he turned out to be a number 3 guy who kill penalties that would be ok too. The PK is killing the Leafs. All things considered a good signing I think

oneleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlaze81 View Post
The only knock I have on bozak is he's kinda weak on the boards, which leads to battles being lost and in some cases a goal was scored. He did have the swine flu and lost 12 pounds, so that might have something to do with that. Other then that I think he great offisive abilities and good sense of the game. He has had a tough year so far with the swine flu and ankle injury, hasen't played 10 games yet, so lets not jump too far on the judgement.
he definitely has room to grow (bulk). I think his board play has more to do with positioning than size though.

He could learn a thing or two from Poni and Kulemin, that's for sure.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
RusskiyHockey

He definitely makes one of Stajan/Grabovski expendable. I'd also rather see Bozak on the 3rd/4th line than Mitchell if there's no room on the top-6.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 150
That's odd.

First, he should learn nothing from Poni, unless you want him to learn not to utilize what size he has, be very weak on the puck, and make stupid decisions half of the time.

I don't know where you get the weak on the boards thing. He's probably the single maple leaf, with exception of Kulemin, to consistently win battles along the boards. I don't remember the last time I've seen Kessel (LOL), stajan, grabo, poni, or hagman win scrums on the boards compared to Bozak.

Unlike all of them, he'll happily get dirty and do what he can. Most of those guys should, by all accounts, be better on the boards. Especially Poni. But they don't bother. They are immune to trying, apparently.

They all have plenty to learn from Kulemin and Bozak. Especially Kessel. Kessel is horrendous. He'd be a monster in no-touch hockey though, but unfortunately he's in the NHL, and being paid over 5 mill per to boot.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
That's odd.

First, he should learn nothing from Poni, unless you want him to learn not to utilize what size he has, be very weak on the puck, and make stupid decisions half of the time.

I don't know where you get the weak on the boards thing. He's probably the single maple leaf, with exception of Kulemin, to consistently win battles along the boards. I don't remember the last time I've seen Kessel (LOL), stajan, grabo, poni, or hagman win scrums on the boards compared to Bozak.

Unlike all of them, he'll happily get dirty and do what he can. Most of those guys should, by all accounts, be better on the boards. Especially Poni. But they don't bother. They are immune to trying, apparently.

They all have plenty to learn from Kulemin and Bozak. Especially Kessel. Kessel is horrendous. He'd be a monster in no-touch hockey though, but unfortunately he's in the NHL, and being paid over 5 mill per to boot.

Poni is great on the boards... he might not hit up to his size, but he's not weak on the puck. It's been a strength in his game since his rookie year. He protects the puck very well.

although judging his abilities by this season only, yeah, he's not playing up to par. he's scoring plenty though, and scoring by going to the net.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:39 PM
disgruntleddave

I really don't see that.

He doesn't utilize his size at all.

I seem to remember him having the puck picked off of him all too often. Maybe he can get the puck off the boards, but once he does he has no significant strength on it.

Granted, he's not as weak as, lets say, kessel, on the boards. Still, given his size he doesn't use it with any regularity. Maybe once every dozen games he'll make a play that actually uses his size well.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Zardoz

Yeah, I can agree he underuses his size... I mean the guy is beast big, he should be able to knock people around.
what he has are strong legs, so he shelters the puck well. I think that's why he worked so well on the cycle with Mats and Nik, they are strong wrapping out to the net, and he was good at covering the puck until one of them could make the swing out from the sides.
anyway, I think we can both agree Kessel is the antithesis of boards play...

Kulemin has far surpassed Poni anyway in my mind, so it's kind of a moot point i guess. At the start of the season I said Kulemin was Poni 2.0, but he's entering a whole other realm now.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Stephen

One benefit to Bozak (and Kulemin too) is he has the finesse skills to play with Kessel, which is a huge bonus for Kessel as it makes him more confident in his linemates, making him more willing to be a playmaker at times instead of just going in man alone like he did when he was with Stajan.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
One benefit to Bozak (and Kulemin too) is he has the finesse skills to play with Kessel, which is a huge bonus for Kessel as it makes him more confident in his linemates, making him more willing to be a playmaker at times instead of just going in man alone like he did when he was with Stajan.
true... when you make a rush, it's hard to pass to anyone if your team is still back at center ice trying to catch up.

Old
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
disgruntleddave

Indeed.

Once Bozak gets better at finishing, and assuming Kulemin will continue to improve (he's come a long way, here's to hoping he'll continue), Kessel will, to me, be the weak link on the line.

He's a good passer. He has a great release. But he's so unbelievably weak on the puck it's so frustrating to watch him. He loses the puck so often trying to toe drag into a shooting position when should try dumping the puck down low to eventually make a play, but of course he's so weak on the boards that that would be even worse.

He doesn't have much of a slapshot for the one timer yet too.

He's doing okay, but is somewhat wasted without some big bodies that can themselves be threats (to give kessel some room) and get him the puck consistently (so he could bury it).

Old
01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Superdowney

He's fast, wins faceoffs and has five points in seven games played in the NHL. I don't understand how you can make a judgment so harsh on him so soon.

Superdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I like the skating and the competitive streak. It's strange, he seems to exhibit more skills than his offensive stats in the AHL suggest. Assuming that the AHL statistics reflect more on his offensive potential than flourishes of skills I've seen in his short time in the NHL, I think he's our future 3rd line center and a better fit for that than either Grabovski and Stajan.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarry View Post

OH NOOOOOOOO!!11

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

I think he will be fine. He has an offensive knack that is sorely needed on this club. He seems to have great work ethic and is meshly nicely right now with Kulemin and Kessel.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Dutch Dreams

The original poster is getting down on this guy because he's playing on the first line. He rightly says that this guy is most suited as a second liner. That's great; that's what we need. He will 'pass up' an insignificant stint as a first-liner, but not likely as an NHL'er altogether. In case no one's noticed, there are no legitimate first-line centers over here in Toronto... this is about as ridiculous as earlier threads that were saying that Stajan should be scrapped because he was out of place on the top-line...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote