HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#51: Penguins @ Flyers - January 24, 2010 - 12:30 PM (ET)

Old
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Am I the only who noticed the hand pass on the Pens' PP behind the net less then a minute before their first goal yesterday? After the whole series of Richie's goal, disallowed goal, phantom call on Gagne, missed hand pass, then the Penguin's goal, my entire section was ready to blow the building up.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We had 9 PPs and only cashed in once...they cashed in twice. That's not the officials or the NHLs fault. Poorly officiated game, but they didn't cost us the game.
This has been repeated a lot, and I agree, but it's not like they were 9 full PPs, sometimes they would giveth and quickly taketh away. Lots of concurrent guys in box and abbreviated power plays both ways.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
This has been repeated a lot, and I agree, but it's not like they were 9 full PPs, sometimes they would giveth and quickly taketh away. Lots of concurrent guys in box and abbreviated power plays both ways.
Fair enough, but a lot of the abbreviations came off of sloppy play on our part.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
We had 9 PPs and only cashed in once...they cashed in twice. That's not the officials or the NHLs fault. Poorly officiated game, but they didn't cost us the game.
I disagree, because that second goal they disallowed was a good goal in my opinion. Then it would've been 2-0 and a completely different game, instead it was 1-1 and the flyers lost the edge.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I disagree, because that second goal they disallowed was a good goal in my opinion. Then it would've been 2-0 and a completely different game, instead it was 1-1 and the flyers lost the edge.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Flyers had more than enough opportunities to take a stranglehold on that game. You score 2 or less goals in the NHL, you are going to lose most days/nights.

Old
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's not playing, so don't pretend that he is. Bench Coburn and it's more Matt Carle, Bartulis and OKT on the PK. No bueno.
Who is pretending that he is playing? Where do you even draw that conclusion is beyond me. So yes right know I would rather see those 3 more on the pk than coburn. Coburn isnít getting it done.
You try something different. You let him know his play on the ok isnít acceptable. You donít continue to throw him out there and give up goals. Not a hard concept to grasp.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Kaktus*

Jester, every Flyer fan has every right to be pissed..

1st we have home advantage.

2nd Gagnes goal was disallowed because some puke in Pittsburgh did not forward information to Toronto war room half of month ago.

and yesterday a GWG was disallowed for no ****ing reason. No reason whats so ever. Not only there was no high sticking from Gagne but Malkin targeted Simons head with his elbow.

Yes, it would be nice to score 2 goals on 9 power plays but it's not like we did not deserve those PPays.

Very unfortunate loss..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Jester, every Flyer fan has every right to be pissed..

1st we have home advantage.

2nd Gagnes goal was disallowed because some puke in Pittsburgh did not forward information to Toronto war room half of month ago.

and yesterday a GWG was disallowed for no ****ing reason. No reason whats so ever. Not only there was no high sticking from Gagne but Malkin targeted Simons head with his elbow.

Yes, it would be nice to score 2 goals on 9 power plays but it's not like we did not deserve those PPays.

Very unfortunate loss..
The officiating was terrible, and if you scroll back to right after the game you'll note that I summarized it as a "****ty game" with terrible officiating. However, the officials did not cost us that game... if it was a 5-4 game or something, I'd be more sympathetic...but even if you take that goal by Richards, it's only 2 goals. You're going to lose most nights in the NHL when you only score 2 goals.

The officiating was terrible both ways. The Carter goal was scored on a PP that was off of a REALLY weak call on Crosby. Hartnell took a dive to draw the 5-on-3, IMO. So on and so forth.

Blaming that game on the officials is earning the nickname of "Cryers."

Old
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Am I the only who noticed the hand pass on the Pens' PP behind the net less then a minute before their first goal yesterday? After the whole series of Richie's goal, disallowed goal, phantom call on Gagne, missed hand pass, then the Penguin's goal, my entire section was ready to blow the building up.
Nope, I saw it too.

At that point though, it wasn't really a surprise.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Nope, I saw it too.

At that point though, it wasn't really a surprise.
I shouldn't be, but seriously? I can live with the disallowed goal if they call that, because it most likely means they don't score. But when you disallow a good goal, then let a blatant penalty go and they score a couple seconds later, I'm ready to ****ing murder someone. That entire game yesterday was so enfuriating, I was literally shaking walking out of that building. Sure we had plenty of chances that kept getting interrupted by other penalties, and so on and so forth, but when one ******, phantom call totally swings the game and momentum, you have nothing but the refs to blame.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the refs sucked for both sides.
The PP we got at the end was a fairly weak call. It wasnt a well officiated game at all. Gagne never should have grabbed Malkin in a bearhug while we had possession of the puck. He should no better then that.
The Flyers had a 5 on 3 as well and could not cash in. You score 1 goal especially against Brent Johnson you are not going to win.
I just wish this team could find a way to beat the Pens in a close game. Every time the Flyers beat them its a ass kicking. If its a 1 goal game they find ways to lose.
I didnt think they played that great at all yesterday anyway. Emery saved their ass early in the game and he had no chance on either goal.
Friggin Coburn.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
the refs sucked for both sides.
The PP we got at the end was a fairly weak call. It wasnt a well officiated game at all. Gagne never should have grabbed Malkin in a bearhug while we had possession of the puck. He should no better then that.
The Flyers had a 5 on 3 as well and could not cash in. You score 1 goal especially against Brent Johnson you are not going to win.
I just wish this team could find a way to beat the Pens in a close game. Every time the Flyers beat them its a ass kicking. If its a 1 goal game they find ways to lose.
I didnt think they played that great at all yesterday anyway. Emery saved their ass early in the game and he had no chance on either goal.
Friggin Coburn.
Mostly because the close games are officiating **** storms like yesterday. Sure we might have gotten a PP with 46 seconds left, but was it a surprise to anyone that the Pens got a PP with 3 minutes left? It seems that no matter what, they always get one within the last 5 minutes of a game against us. If the roles were reversed last night, what are the chances that Timonen's penalty would have never been called?

Old
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Mostly because the close games are officiating **** storms like yesterday. Sure we might have gotten a PP with 46 seconds left, but was it a surprise to anyone that the Pens got a PP with 3 minutes left? It seems that no matter what, they always get one within the last 5 minutes of a game against us. If the roles were reversed last night, what are the chances that Timonen's penalty would have never been called?
Zero.

I can make a pretty clear argument about favoritism towards the Pens in the officials (which we see in every sport with marquee teams/players), but there was no conspiracy theory on the Timonen call. Officials are very good at making that call consistently, if nothing else.

Old
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
the Timonen penalty was a good call. Just bad luck on his part the puck flipped over the glass without being deflected.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
kicksave27

It's just apparent that the flyers need to have at least a 2 goal lead in order to beat the pens now, due to the refs alone. And they make a big deal about the pens PP being last... well that have the most chances, I wonder why.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Zero.

I can make a pretty clear argument about favoritism towards the Pens in the officials (which we see in every sport with marquee teams/players), but there was no conspiracy theory on the Timonen call. Officials are very good at making that call consistently, if nothing else.
I might be in the minority for not having the perfect hockey eye, but I see that get ignored once a game, in the least. It might not happen every single game, but there are a lot of times a puck will swing around the boards, or down the side and go out. Now as to whether or not that's the rulebook definition of delay of game, is beyond me, I've never played organized hockey before, but you can generally tell when someone does it purposefully, and when you get the unlucky bounce.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
I might be in the minority for not having the perfect hockey eye, but I see that get ignored once a game, in the least. It might not happen every single game, but there are a lot of times a puck will swing around the boards, or down the side and go out. Now as to whether or not that's the rulebook definition of delay of game, is beyond me, I've never played organized hockey before, but you can generally tell when someone does it purposefully, and when you get the unlucky bounce.
By that you mean touching the boards?

It's only delay of game if it goes out of play without deflecting off a player, or touching anything. I actually think they're more likely to call it than not when it's close, even.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Kambo

Quote:
By that you mean touching the boards?

It's only delay of game if it goes out of play without deflecting off a player, or touching anything. I actually think they're more likely to call it than not when it's close, even.
That's what I wasn't clear on.

Old
01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
That's what I wasn't clear on.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Possibly the most frightening face I've ever seen.

01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I think the real enemy here is the delay of game rule.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
that's a pedo stare if ever there was one

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
I think the real enemy here is the delay of game rule.
I've never been a fan. It's a pretty stupid rule.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I still think puck over the glass should be treated like Icing

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I still think puck over the glass should be treated like Icing
I agree.

I don't understand how they can treat that as a penalty.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote