HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Brass to Watch Jagr Olympic Showcase

Old
01-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Oilers Brass to Watch Jagr Olympic Showcase

Quote:
Oilers brass will spend the Olympics watching every game Jaromir Jagr plays for the Czechs to see if he can be effective against the best players in the world for two weeks.
The whole note is the first Short Shift on Hockey World today. Read here:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...883/story.html

Czech Republic plays Slovakia, Latvia, and Russia in the prelims.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
The whole note is the first Short Shift on Hockey World today. Read here:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...883/story.html

Czech Republic plays Slovakia, Latvia, and Russia in the prelims.
The only way this is remotely a good thing is if it finally puts to rest the idea that we need to get a big name player here, and Jagr mentors the younger guys for a year... that's really the only benefit I think.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
thats a hilarious quote.
"hmm, can he play for at least 2 weeks? thats about all we need for another tank season. "

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
Oilers brass will spend the Olympics watching every game Jaromir Jagr plays for the Czechs to see if he can be effective against the best players in the world for two weeks.
You mean like Linus Omark did in the WC's?

Omark is still young and would cost under a million dollars so it would totally make more sense to give the 38 year old Jagr 5 million to come over!!11

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Tyrolean

This is why the Oilers will always flounder. Management is retarded.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
This is why the Oilers will always flounder. Management is retarded.
Yeah its getting ridiculous.

This team doesn't need a Jagr...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
You mean like Linus Omark did in the WC's?

Omark is still young and would cost under a million dollars so it would totally make more sense to give the 38 year old Jagr 5 million to come over!!11
I said previously it would not shock me if they did something like this. Because let's face it star power sells and with a potential rebuild going on the next couple seasons and a new rink on the horizon. You potentially get a Jagr and a Hall or Seguin and even if we suck the building will stay full.

As long as the price is not high. Jagr was offered reportedly around 6 mill (but only on 1 year deals) a few years ago by a couple teams before he left to the KHL. I am not sure he will even get 5 after being gone a couple seasons and being that much older.

Personally I would rather they not bother with him in at all at this point. But as I said I could see what they are potentially thinking.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Yeah, really bad idea on the part of management to bring one of the best players in the game EVER("only if he can still play against the best") to mentor all of our young talent coming up. I mean we should go with an under 23 team completely and have them teach each other right???! We would be lucky to sign Jagr here!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
reginaoil

I have come to believe that Lowe and Tambo have no clue about what the fans want, the team needs, and how to evaluate players.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:19 AM
copper_blue

I am actualy going to contradict myself on this one, but I am in favour of signing Jagr to a 1 or 2 year deal, assuming he looks good at the Olympics. But the Oilers need rid themselves of 2-3 veteran players (contracts).

1) It puts the pressure off Eberle, Hall/Seguin and maybe MPS? They don't need to shine if Jagr is here. Possibily a good mentor. Better than Moreau.

2) Its positive news for a hockey city and organization that needs anything positive right now.

copper_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:19 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I said previously it would not shock me if they did something like this. Because let's face it star power sells and with a potential rebuild going on the next couple seasons and a new rink on the horizon. You potentially get a Jagr and a Hall or Seguin and even if we suck the building will stay full.

As long as the price is not high. Jagr was offered reportedly around 6 mill (but only on 1 year deals) a few years ago by a couple teams before he left to the KHL. I am not sure he will even get 5 after being gone a couple seasons and being that much older.

Personally I would rather they not bother with him in at all at this point. But as I said I could see what they are potentially thinking.
Yep, I think it's all about selling hope, tickets and merchandise which is also why I think Eberle is a lock for the lineup even if it's not the best way to develop him.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Jagr is too old to make a big impact on the team and we won't likely have the cap space needed to sign him anyway. It's not like he's gonna play for 2-3M next year.

I don't see next year being the year we turn things around, either... so I don't see us doing anything too bold via free agency.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
nullterm

Man, I wish my team had decent management. Jagr and rebuild don't belong in the same sentence.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yeah its getting ridiculous.

This team doesn't need a Jagr...
Its been ridiculous for a few years now. This kind of stuff just confirms that this management team is incompetent.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:34 AM
McEwen

If this team firmly believes that they still need a super star, I seriously might consider a new team. It is so blatantly obvious to any fan of hockey that this team sucks, and that dumping off one or two contracts to fit Jagr is not what direction this team needs to go in.

Jagr is one of my all time favotire players, but the Oilers need youth. Not aging players that have been out of the league for two years.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

+1
I'm amazed at the negative reaction around here to bringing JJ in for a season. As long as the money part is feasible, I don't see what the big deal is.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
+1
I'm amazed at the negative reaction around here to bringing JJ in for a season. As long as the money part is feasible, I don't see what the big deal is.
I'm with you. I don't see the problem. Cap space right now is overated anyway. Unless we're ready to make a serious move somewhere, space is nothing.
A former superstar to do a little mentoring with the kids for the right price. Do people really think by bringing in a bunch of unproven kids by themselves the team will turn around quickly? Get rid of the veterans that have little or no value, bring in the kids and have a couple of better veterans to shelter, mentor them as they grow.
Don't you think Jagr would be a better fit than Moreau?

For a year or two at the right price, no issues. Sells a few tickets, mentors, etc.

It's actually not a big deal. I don't think even Lowe and Tabellini are silly enough to believe Jagr would be the saviour...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

our inept management just doesn't get it...

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post
And what makes you think Jagr would, at all, be interested in going to Edmonton? He already shot you guys down.

Quite the opposite. He wanted to come here but wanted a 2 year deal. We said 1 year and we left it there and he signed in Russia or wherever for two. Then he said he liked the organization for showing interest when no other NHL team did, and said if he was going to come back the the NHL he would like to play here.

That being said, relax haters, it just sounds like a Katz-paid junket to watch some premium games during the NHL off time.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-24-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: QDC
Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Gusher

Maybe the Oilers feel bringing in Jagr would help Hemsky get to the next level that we've all been waiting for him to get to. Maybe it's a move the Oilers feel neccessary so Hemsky isn't sitting here next year wondering why the heck he's the only player with more than 40 points at the end of next season. Maybe it's to keep Hemsky happy. After all, would you be happy if you were entering your prime and you've been told time and time again that we are searching for someone to play with you only to find out that it doesn't happen year in and year out?

Jagr could teach Hemsky quite a bit in 1 or 2 seasons. I highly doubt Jagr is going to be asking for the moon this time around. If he wants to play in the NHL again, I have a feeling he won't be greedy.

Just a thought.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

I am not seeing a the problem with Jagr. We are not giving up anything besides cap space to get him. I doubt it will be much at that if it is I will not like the deal. Then that brings up the term if it is a little term for the deal then that should hopefully not affect other players resigning. Also we heard rumours of moving Souray so we know management is trying to move out soon current veterans that means we need some other veterans to replace them not just rookies and since a lot of the talent we have been drafting lately is offensive I think Jagr will make a good mentor for then. But this is all just my opinion.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
this has disaster written all over it--we alrady have habby with the 35+ rule for contracts and now we are going to get a 38 year old guy in here--

reaks of desperations and undermines the rebuild idea

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Matador

Sadly I'm not surprised. Probably another off season hunting for whales instead of filling other glaring holes on this team. Jagr would still be a good veteran 2nd line player but he doesn't vault this team to the playoffs.

They probably have their star in Seguin/Fowler/Hall. Its time to start filling the massive holes on this team so that when some of these promising offensive players start contributing in a year or two they aren't let down by a horrendous penalty kill, absolute lack of shutdown defensman, no stability in net, and a virtually non-existent checking line (last 2 games aside).

Yes Jagr might be a nice complement to the development of some of the rookies that will be breaking into the NHL over the next couple years, but to sign him without addressing the other holes on this team gets the Oilers nowhere but out of the playoffs once again. Unfortunatley we will probably see a team littered with rookies next year to sell hope and attempt to once again build a 3 line offensive juggernaut. Its time to get back to basics with two scoring lines, a checking line and an energy line with a spot for a rookie or two. Defensively sound hockey doesn't equate to boring hockey.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this has disaster written all over it--we alrady have habby with the 35+ rule for contracts and now we are going to get a 38 year old guy in here--

Disaster? A little harsh maybe. Think like when we brought in Oates. He wasn't there to save us, just help the other guys out with the faceoff situation. Don't expect him to turn the team around or score lots of goals, just show them what an NHLer acts and works like. Provide guidance. Show them the path.

To use a truly northern example think of a dog sled team. If you have 12 pups that never pulled a sled before you can't just tie the to a sled and watch them go, they have to learn how. You put a lead dog in and they watch learn and follow. The better the lead dog, the better habits the dogs learn!

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

If it's a 1 year deal how's it a problem, and really how much more of a rebuild does the team need?

Hall/Seguin/Fowler
Paajarvi
Eberle
Omark

on top of guys like

Gagner
Brule
Hemsky
Penner
hell even guys like O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Gilbert, Gebeshkov if they manage to refined there games

There's all ready a solid base here, letting them mature and learn from one of the one of the best would be far more beneficial than another year of tanking.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote