HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Brass to Watch Jagr Olympic Showcase

Old
01-24-2010, 12:31 PM
reginaoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Disaster? A little harsh maybe. Think like when we brought in Oates. He wasn't there to save us, just help the other guys out with the faceoff situation. Don't expect him to turn the team around or score lots of goals, just show them what an NHLer acts and works like. Provide guidance. Show them the path.
Jagr wasn't exactly known for leadership. He disappeared for his whole WSH contract and many years was a floater. Prima dona rep ignored, he chased the big money his whole career, and then went to the KHL in the first place why? To escape the pressures of the NHL while making big money! Hardly a role model.

What path will Jagr show the young players exactly?

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:32 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this has disaster written all over it--we alrady have habby with the 35+ rule for contracts and now we are going to get a 38 year old guy in here--

reaks of desperations and undermines the rebuild idea

1) when did anyone with the oilers mention rebuild, let along something longer than one year? long term rebuild might be the best idea, but it aint going to happen here now

2) jagr at 70% is still probably better than most of the roster right now.

3) all we see is b1tching and complaining about leadership on this team. does bringing in a guy with stanley cups, olympics, major nhl trophies on his resume hurt things? jagr may not have the track record of being a stellar leader, but he is still probably better than the core group in there now

if the cap hit is right, and sweet lord it better be, adding jagr probably isnt a horrible idea.

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
copper_blue

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that a rebuild is the only way to go, and I recognize the Oilers' management blunders, however, a rebuild can NOT only be young players, you need some veterans and I prefer Jagr over our current leadership group.

Also, our fanbase is impatient and will have unrealistic expectations on Eberle, Hall/Seguin and possibily MPS. Jagr will take the spotlight off them a bit and give them more time to develop at a healthy pace.

This only makes sense if the Oilers are able to move a few veteran players and thier contracts.

Last edited by copper_blue: 01-24-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: grammar
copper_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Hilarious that the same posters who are now questioning Jagr wanted to bring in a plug like Blair Betts last year.

Jagr in his 50's could outplay Betts in his prime.

If we get an elite kid in the draft this year, giving him an opportunity to play on a line with a player like Jagr would be well worth the investment.

If Jagr lights it up and is on a one year contract, we could then move him at the deadline to Pittsburgh for a nice package of picks/prospects. This would accelerate the rebuild, not hinder it.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 01-24-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: grammar
Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Jagr wasn't exactly known for leadership. He disappeared for his whole WSH contract and many years was a floater. Prima dona rep ignored, he chased the big money his whole career, and then went to the KHL in the first place why? To escape the pressures of the NHL while making big money! Hardly a role model.

Like him or not Jagr is a winner. He will show them the path to winning, and do it at a reasonable rate. It's a good idea, maybe the best available. Pretty sure Yzerman, Messier, Lemeiux and Gretzky aren't available. You might get Lindros.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Like him or not Jagr is a winner. He will show them the path to winning, and do it at a reasonable rate.
What team did Jagr show the path to winning? NYR? WSH?

A rookie Jagr won the cup in Pitt.

Francis, Lemieux, Coffey, Trottier etc were the leaders.

Jagr has never been shown to lead a team to success nor has ever signed a contract that would suggest he'll sign at a reasonable rate.

Old
01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yeah its getting ridiculous.

This team doesn't need a Jagr...
Sure they do....ten years ago!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Oilerz

Quote:

Jagr has never been shown to lead a team to success nor has ever signed a contract that would suggest he'll sign at a reasonable rate.
Not lead a team, but show them winning ways. The still need to sign or produce a leader. I would hope he'd sign for less than Vis.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:

Did you miss the Nagano Olympics?

Old
01-24-2010, 12:55 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
You realize that was 12 years ago, right?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
McEwen

Off Topic of Jagr

Ok, instead of starting a new thread, I am just going to place it in here, as it is also discussed in Matheson's article.

Pittsburgh is looking at resigning Gonchar to make Malkin happy. But lets hypothetically say the Pens do not resign Gonchar. Would they trade Malkin in the off season in fear of him becoming a distraction?

If they are, would a deal like this get it done?

To

Malkin
Grant
4th Round 2011

To
Visnovski
Cogliano
Nilsson / O'Sully
Chorney
1st in 2012

I ask because this would give us a legit number one centre until Gagner is ready, and even then managment get's their big fish. He is young, great player, I feel would work well with Hemsky, and if they Oilers do decide to go after Jagr, that could be one scary unit.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
You realize that was 12 years ago, right?
Yes, and I'm sure you'd agree I more than answered the question, as he was the best player in the world at that time, and led his team to Gold (along with Hasek).

Old
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:

He is known as being a mentor to young players, he helped out a lot of the younger guys in NY in his last years there. I sometimes get a kick out of people who say he chased the money. Like, if you were about to go to a job that was pretty much the same job, different place, and make millions more, would you not do it just to keep your co workers and customers happy? I really don't know what "pressures" a guy like Jagr has, the guy has done more than most players in his career and then some, and he is in his late 30's, not expected to put up 100 point seasons.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Yes, and I'm sure you'd agree I more than answered the question, as he was the best player in the world at that time, and led his team to Gold (along with Hasek).
And Hejduk, Lang, Straka and Hamrlik.

Sure he was among the best in the world 12 years ago but his last season in the NHL he scored 71 points.

Once wouldn't think three years later he'll be improving on those numbers.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
He is known as being a mentor to young players, he helped out a lot of the younger guys in NY in his last years there.
Which players did he take under his wing and how did they improve? This isn't a jab at you, I'm just genuinely curious. When I think of Jagr, leadership isn't really a quality that comes to mind -- perhaps things have changed with time, though. Honestly I'm pretty leery of this idea, especially when we have quite a few RFA's to sign and are saddled with some terrible contracts.

I don't really understand why we're looking that far ahead, when Tambellini still has to excise the contracts of overpaid vets i.e. Moreau, Souray, Pisani, and perhaps Staios this deadline or over the summer. A significant amount of paring needs to be done before he can concern himself with bringing over a guy like Jagr.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
myteammytown

Quote:

Sure he was among the best in the world 12 years ago but his last season in the NHL he scored 71 points.

even at 50-55pts he is still probably top 3 or 4 on the oilers..

it all comes down to cap hit, in my opinion. IF the # is right, it makes sense. if it is a sundin-esque contract, no thanks.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:

Yet on another thread you promote the idea that Ryan Smyth would be a good mentor for a young player like Gagner.

Jagr is a superior player in every way, and if he comes to the NHL next year, I'll gladly take wagers from any fool on this site to the effect that he will outperform any veteran player on the Oilers - and I'll include a former Oiler like Smyth.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
even at 50-55pts he is still probably top 3 or 4 on the oilers..

it all comes down to cap hit, in my opinion. IF the # is right, it makes sense. if it is a sundin-esque contract, no thanks.
But what is the point exactly.

You bring him in for a year or two and he leaves.

Maybe you finish 9-12 in the standings and forego high draft picks.

That's not progress IMO.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

IMHO this should be it after this year. Pile up the picks, sell of the veteran and next season I would take a chance on Jagr.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Eytinge

Ugh, please no. For once can we have a summer without big fish hunting?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Asher

Quote:

That's not progress IMO.
I think you're overestimating the impact of a 50 pt player on this team.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
myteammytown

Quote:

That's not progress IMO.
how about we step out of the dream land that is the long term rebuild idea? i, and almost everyone else on here, agrees it is probably the best idea to develop a great team long term.

however

the oilers have missed the playoffs for a few years already, and Katz is trying to position himself for funding for a new arena. How supportive will the fan base be 2 or 3 years from now when them team is still "rebuilding"?

the oilers had their chance at a full out rebuild after they dealt smyth. we would already be starting to see things turn around. they screwed it up, and it isnt going to start all over now.

Old
01-24-2010, 01:29 PM
spot

Wow so what will next year look like? Anybody getting exited at least? We will probably add the following players to our line-up : Eberle, Jagr, Hall, Chorney, Omark
We will lose the following players: Comrie, Pisani, Moreau, Souray, Stone, Pouliot, Cogliano

So what does that leave us with?

Jagr Horcoff Hemsky
Penner Gagner Eberle
Hall Brule O'mark
Jaques Potluny Stortini

Nilson
O'sullivan

Visnovsky Smid
Grebs Gilbert
Chorney Staios

Khabby
Duby

We have alot of boddies. We need to get rid of at least 8 players. YIKES

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Nope, but are we now rewriting history to show it was Jagr and not the play of Hasek that was the story of that tournament?

Old
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
how about we step out of the dream land that is the long term rebuild idea? i, and almost everyone else on here, agrees it is probably the best idea to develop a great team long term.

however

the oilers have missed the playoffs for a few years already, and Katz is trying to position himself for funding for a new arena. How supportive will the fan base be 2 or 3 years from now when them team is still "rebuilding"?

the oilers had their chance at a full out rebuild after they dealt smyth. we would already be starting to see things turn around. they screwed it up, and it isnt going to start all over now.
It'll have to start sometime or this just becomes a very expensive hamster wheel.