HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Brass to Watch Jagr Olympic Showcase

Old
01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
But what is the point exactly.

You bring him in for a year or two and he leaves.

Maybe you finish 9-12 in the standings and forego high draft picks.

That's not progress IMO.
Well think of the guys he can mentor and help. Guys like MPS, Penner even Taylor Hall. Not to mention the guy if we make it to the post-season is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time and can simply put, take over a series. You're right though, this move if made, is for the short term, then again all I hear is oilers fans complaining about this team being overrated. So why not bring a top 10 player all time into the lineup to bring some veteran presence?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
It'll have to start sometime or this just becomes a very expensive hamster wheel.
i agree 110%. it just isnt going to be now.

klowe and the crew will be going to bed every night praying eberle, MPS, hall/seguin turns hemsky,penner,gagner,horcoff into a legit playoff team.

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
how about we step out of the dream land that is the long term rebuild idea? i, and almost everyone else on here, agrees it is probably the best idea to develop a great team long term.

however

the oilers have missed the playoffs for a few years already, and Katz is trying to position himself for funding for a new arena. How supportive will the fan base be 2 or 3 years from now when them team is still "rebuilding"?

the oilers had their chance at a full out rebuild after they dealt smyth. we would already be starting to see things turn around. they screwed it up, and it isnt going to start all over now.
Dream land is right and it perfectly describes the 3-5 year rebuild crowd. Its already going to be four years of not making the playoffs and by all accounts we have had a pretty good draft record in that time and our cupboards our pretty much full already with prospects. We do not need anymore bad seasons. Don't be fooled Jagr would be coming to help the team win. If he is here it gives us a legit first line something we have not had since 06. He is highly under estimated on this board. The guy is a first ballot HOF and his career is not even over yet. We would be lucky to see him in Oiler silks.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
FunkyChicken

I don't have a problem with signing older FAs to a one year deals. At the very worst they only hurt your team for one year and you get to start fresh the following. At the best, you flip them for a draft pick at the deadline. Take Comrie, our resources could have been better spent on a checking centre but at least he comes off the books at the end of this year and we may even get a draft pick for him at the deadline. Khabibulin is an example of why signing old UFAs to long term deals is a bad idea.

As for Jagr, he's probably better than anyone else we could throw at the 2nd line rightwing spot (although I haven't seen him play lately). He still doesn't make us a playoff team.

My biggest concern is that we'll likely be losing Moreau, Staios and Souray at the trade deadline who basically represent a large part of this teams grit (which is low to begin with), if you get Jagr you still have to ensure that this grit is replaced cause he's not bringing any.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:52 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
2 years @ 4 million cap hit as a mentor to the young guys during the rebuild. I think you need a foreign vet and a couple of Canadian vets to fill out your checking lines to show the kids how to work hard.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
The whole idea disgusts me. Its going to be real hard to support this team if they do something this stupid. Anybody who thinks this team has a plan can check that at the door please. This is more evidence that they have no plan. Zero. Idiots.

Oh and this idea that he is supposed to mentor our kids is laughable. Maybe he will show them how to do circles at the red line while the puck is in our end. Or how to play hard every fourth game. Ridiculous.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Or how to play hard every fourth game. Ridiculous.
You'd rather just let them continue playing hard every twelfth game?

Gagner... Nilsson... O'Sullivan... Brule... Potulny... these guys couldn't string together 2 good games in a row to save their life so far.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:03 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
You'd rather just let them continue playing hard every twelfth game?

Gagner... Nilsson... O'Sullivan... Brule... Potulny... these guys couldn't string together 2 good games in a row to save their life so far.
Id rather they had a vision and a plan on how to get there. Not just sniffing around for any name has-been or expensive vet on the downside of their career and then signing them to ridiculous money or stupid term. I would like to see the end of incompetence and see someone that knows wtf they are doing take over. Because these clowns dont have a clue.

Btw you should change the names on your **** list to Moreau... Horcoff... Souray... etc.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:05 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
i agree 110%. it just isnt going to be now.

klowe and the crew will be going to bed every night praying eberle, MPS, hall/seguin turns hemsky,penner,gagner,horcoff into a legit playoff team.
They won't be around long enough to see it and it won't happen anyway.

Hemsky and Penner are both UFA's in 2 years.

They would be crazy to sign with a dysfunctional organization who highest aspiration is to try and get 8th place.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post

Jagr would be coming to help the team win. If he is here it gives us a legit first line something we have not had since 06.

The original link from the Globe & Mail is missing but I did quote it...

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=139

Jagr also acknowledged Thursday that he needed a break from the stress of being a top player in the NHL.

"Day-by-day it's so much pressure," he said. "I don't know how to describe it. If I would be on the third or fourth line, I would probably be in the NHL because you don't have to produce every night.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Dream land is right and it perfectly describes the 3-5 year rebuild crowd. Its already going to be four years of not making the playoffs and by all accounts we have had a pretty good draft record in that time and our cupboards our pretty much full already with prospects. We do not need anymore bad seasons. Don't be fooled Jagr would be coming to help the team win. If he is here it gives us a legit first line something we have not had since 06. He is highly under estimated on this board. The guy is a first ballot HOF and his career is not even over yet. We would be lucky to see him in Oiler silks.
Not making the playoffs is not rebuilding.

Rebuilding teams don't sign, Souray, Visnovsky, Khabibulin, trade for Cole or send three young players out for Heatley.

And a legit first line does not include either Gagner or Horcoff.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
OilerNut*

I don't quite understand why he would sign with a bottom 5 team and have a ton of pressure on him when he can sign with a top 5 team and have a good chance at the cup.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

Jagr also acknowledged Thursday that he needed a break from the stress of being a top player in the NHL.

"Day-by-day it's so much pressure," he said. "I don't know how to describe it. If I would be on the third or fourth line, I would probably be in the NHL because you don't have to produce every night.
Unless my memory is wrong. He also said something about just needing a little break from it. Then brought up that the last time during the lockout that he had a break and went to Europe it helped him. He talked about how it re-energized him and he returned to scored 123 points in the NHL the following season.

I do not think we need him at all (though with the new rink & continued level of rebuild suck - I can see how they want his star power and such on a short term deal). But sometimes using quotes pulled out of the overall context can end up being a little misleading to the overall intent of what is said.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Nope, but are we now rewriting history to show it was Jagr and not the play of Hasek that was the story of that tournament?
Jagr was the best player in the world, and scored a PPG against the top teams in the world. Winner of championships, and many scoring titles, etc.

His list of accomplishments dwarfs the accomplishments of all the veterans on our team combined.

Bringing him in on a one year deal is far better than offering another plug like Blair Betts or Andy Hilbert a contract - and these are the kinds of crap players a bunch of fans on this site whine about every summer.

Shipping out garbage like Moreau and Staios would pretty much cover Jagr in terms of cap hit. I wouldn't be in favour of bringing in Jagr if he seeks Horcoff-type dollars.

We need veterans on this team, so we might as well get some that can actually play, and would actually have some trade value that would allow us to flip them for something else.

What a concept!

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
But what is the point exactly.

You bring him in for a year or two and he leaves.

Maybe you finish 9-12 in the standings and forego high draft picks.

That's not progress IMO.
Maybe we finish 6-8. That would be progress.

I really don't get how signing Jagr hurts this team. It's not like we would be giving up young assets to get him. It would also not be a long term deal that could hurt us in the future.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

sometimes using quotes pulled out of the overall context can end up being a little misleading to the overall intent of what is said.
I do not post quotes out of context unless I am making fun of another poster.... And when it is obvious I am joking...

I posted that specific quote on the 1st page of that 16 page topic thread.... I reposted the quote on page 6 of the topic thread.

Not one poster challenged me on it being taken out of context. One poster did try to claim there might be a translation error - I pointed out that Jagr speaks English...

I stand by the quote being accurate & being in context......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

So he has taken his break whats the big deal? He was not saying he can never do it again as its quite possible if there is anyone who can its him. He played in NY and thats a lot harder then playing here. Their media makes Terry Jones look like a self help columnist. I can not blame the guy for taking a break. Seriously do you have any Idea what someone like Jagr had to go through on a daily basis? And BTW his break was going and being the big name player for the upstart KHL' They even named a all star game after him. If you think he has just been sitting back and relaxing I beg to differ. Maybe representing little old Edmonton rather then a whole league would be considered a real break.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Maybe we finish 6-8. That would be progress.

I really don't get how signing Jagr hurts this team. It's not like we would be giving up young assets to get him. It would also not be a long term deal that could hurt us in the future.
Would missing out on another very good draft choice be worth one year of Jagr?

And I really doubt he could pull this team anywhere near 6th place.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I don't quite understand why he would sign with a bottom 5 team and have a ton of pressure on him when he can sign with a top 5 team and have a good chance at the cup.
I don't understand it either but most people will tell you it's because he really wants to play with Hemsky.

Well with all due respect to Hemsky, I really do not think he is charming enough to seduce any player to come to a horrific team like the Oilers.

I just don't see Jagr coming but the fact that the Oilers brass is thinking about it is very, very sad.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Btw you should change the names on your **** list to Moreau... Horcoff... Souray... etc.
Those guys are garbage, they cannot be salvaged or fixed (save for Souray, but add a Pisani and Gilbert and more to the list). That's why my biggest hope for the Oilers is that they flush out as many of the old vets as they can, and bring in new vets. Yeah, I have some preferences for the guys I'd like to see brought in (and Jagr isn't exactly one of them), but I'm so used to being disappointed by this club that I'll settle for any new vets, period, right now.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
tv14

Quote:
The whole idea disgusts me. Its going to be real hard to support this team if they do something this stupid. Anybody who thinks this team has a plan can check that at the door please. This is more evidence that they have no plan. Zero. Idiots.

Oh and this idea that he is supposed to mentor our kids is laughable. Maybe he will show them how to do circles at the red line while the puck is in our end. Or how to play hard every fourth game. Ridiculous.
I suggest you look here.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2497

Lets not kid oursleves, if we are going to succeed in the future our offence will have a huge part in that. You do realize he has NINE season where he got MORE THAN 90 POINTS, and FIVE seasons of MORE THAN 100 POINTS. Not one Oiler forward has had a season of over 80 points. Maybe, just maybe a 5 time 100 point scorer could help out our young offence develop and be a key mentor.

tv14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Would missing out on another very good draft choice be worth one year of Jagr?

And I really doubt he could pull this team anywhere near 6th place.
Not by himself. But I would think there will be other roster movement. Hemsky and Khabibulin would be back as well. I think if Jagr is happy (ie around people he is comfortable with) he could be good for 80+ points.

If the goal is to get another high pick, fair enough. Only problem with that is it is very hard to get high picks. Look how bad we have had to be so far to get a sniff. With Hemsky and Khabibulin coming back next year, I don't think we can get another high pick

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Arpeggio

The Oilers have enough prospects, they don't need to keep losing to draft more. I think their goal should be to get rid of the vets and replace them with better ones. Then you add a few great looking rookies at cheap cap hits, and hopefully they turn it around next season. Yeah, maybe I'm being optimistic, but I don't think it's unrealistic.

I think taking out the trash on this team will have more of an effect than people seem to think. I'm very pro-Jagr.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Not making the playoffs is not rebuilding.

Rebuilding teams don't sign, Souray, Visnovsky, Khabibulin, trade for Cole or send three young players out for Heatley.

And a legit first line does not include either Gagner or Horcoff.
Rebuilding teams with money do. See Philly, NY, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit.

Never said it did include Horcoff but Gagner can very much grow into one but I never said him either. Try reading comp for dummies. I was talking about Jagr and Hemsky and does it really matter who the other guy is thats a legit first line, Sunshine.

Old
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Hall - Gagner - Jagr
Brule - Potulny - Eberle
Jacques - Stortini - Stone

Ah.. if only.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote