HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winners win. Theodore's best game ever.

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 11:41 PM
David

vCash: 500
Winners win. Theodore vs. Raycroft.

I've watched Jose Theodore since he was a kid and he played the best game that I have ever seen him play last night. He was so solid and you knew that it was gonna have to be a special shot if it were to beat him last night.

Many have mentioned how good Raycroft was, and as good as he's been during the regular season and the first few games of the playoffs, I personally think that Raycroft has been the difference (and not really Joe Thornton) between one team winning and one team not winning. It looks to me that Raycroft is afraid of winning the big ones. He has had three swings at it and failed at it three times whereas Jose's game elevated along with the pressure and the importance of the games.

Winners win.
These are the guys who welcome the pressure and even relish in the challenge of being THE guy to make the difference. Pat Roy certainly was one of these guys.
Jose is also a winner. Jose has been winning at every age level since he was very young. (Although he hasn't won anything in NHL's post season yet, I would love to see Jose win a Conn Smyth and CH win the Cup!)

Then there are guys like Luongo and Hasek who had all the talent in the world but were afraid to win but eventually over came it through perseverence and experience. I believe that Marc-Andre Fleury is the most talented young goalie that I've ever seen. However, he's also got to learn to win. He hasnt' figured it out yet but with his naturally ability being what it is, it's hard to imagine him not doing so before he's done.

Then there are those who never manage to pull the rein in on the self-doubt and over thinking. Cujo's been trying for so long but he's still haven't been able to tame the beast. Will he finally be able to do it this year? Perhaps. There are numerous others like him who have all the ability in the world but cannot overcome this fear. Cloutier, Lalime, Moog, Casey and many others fall into this category....category of mediocrity.

Don't tell me Thornton was the reason for the B's exit. It was the collapse of young Raycroft. Winners win...and Raycroft has not proved that he can win...he can certainly prove me wrong but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he falls into the Andy Moog and Dan Cloutier category.

Some other random ramblings.

Check out Andre Markov's +/- rating. It's becoming pretty apparent that his early season struggles were nothing more than something that stemmed from a son's concern for his sick father's health. It's good to have you back Andre!

Although I'm one of those who back Thornton for his heroic efforts with his ribs and all, I gotta say that it was pretty cheap of him to deliberately grab Begin's cage and rub his mouth area in order to aggrivate the injury to the mouth! Be a man Joe. If you want to fight, drop the gloves or hit him with a clean hit. Non of this sissy stuff.

Poor Steve Begin...but you gotta admire and love a guy like this. It was pretty evident that not eating much for two days was having a toll on his physical intensity. His energy and jump were not there like other nights. It must be pretty tough to eat through a straw and get up for a game 7 against the dreaded Bruins! You came through with flying colours! Keep at it, buddy!

If only Jan Bulis was blessed with soft hands...this guy's so quick that he's had a tonne of chances...

Everybody knows that Kovalev has world class talent, but what I didn't realize how physically strong he was...and quite stocky for such a skilled player! Koivu has finally found someone with talent worthy of his own! Zednik gets cocky this time of the year and cruises around waiting to score the big one and he's been pretty successful but in terms of talent, WOW, Koivu and Kovalev are magic!

Claude Julien has ran circles around Sully. It's good to finally have a coach that is respected and can get this kind of effort and heart out of a team that people had written off even as late as beginnning of this year!

Aside: The Chad scored a HUGE goal tonight....and added an assist to boot! He certainly earned his $800,000.00 and more tonight. Four more home games for Toronto...which adds upto $4 millions bucks in money earned for the Toronto District School Board's Pension fund!!! I just hope that he doesn't come back to haunt us.

Nothing has been won yet, but it was a giant step to begin the journey of a thousand miles. It's your time to shine gentlemen, take the torch and be it yours to hold high!

Last edited by David: 04-21-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old
04-20-2004, 11:54 PM
EaGLE1

In my opinion Raycroft didn't choke under pressure.
If you check the stats, he have like 0.924 save pourcentage on a team who lost serie 1. A team who gave about 15-20 scoring chances a game.

Boston were good in game 1-7
MTL 2-3-4-5-6

In the last game, Theo was great but lucky too. He could have been the goalie who gave away the goal. (Remember the post? Or Green with 2 min to go in the game on PK?)

Let's see where Theo can bring his team. The Bulin Wall is a descent goalie too.
3 shutouts in 5 games against NYI. Under 1.00 average.

I predict habs in 7, but this serie could turn either way. What I think is that the team who will win will do so in 6 or 7 games. No short serie.

The key will be to stop Martin St-Louis. I think we should use Markov when he is on the ice. Bouillon could do a good job too in my book. I would use the Dowd line to shut 'em down. If the Ribs line start producing, sky is the limit.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:00 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
In my opinion Raycroft didn't choke under pressure.
If you check the stats, he have like 0.924 save pourcentage on a team who lost serie
It's not necessarily the stats that tell the tale...rather the timing of the save. This is what differentiated Grant Fuhr from other good goalies. He's always had terrible numbers but came up with that one HUGE save when the team needed it and made the difference.

Winners win...which is why I was cussing when Eddie, Leetch and Niewy dispatched that sad sack of talented, statistically superior bunch of loser from our nation's capital last night.

If Montreal makes it that far (and I think that CH has a very good chance of getting by Tampa Bay) I think that a banged up Ottawa after a physical war with the Flyers (remember the Havlet incident?) would have been much easier to dispose of than Toronto...but then again, anything worth having is difficult to get...and oh what joy there will be if Montreal dispatches both Boston and Toronto in one year along their way to the Cup!!! But...I'm looking WAY too far ahead.

If Jose and the boys keep playing the way they have been, I like Montreal's chances against Tampa Bay.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:07 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I agree with you that Jose was huge, but bear in mind that the one goal that Raycroft allowed was virtually unstoppable: that pass seemed to bank off the netting and Zednik was lightning with it. Not exactly a play a goalie sees in practice. I'm not convinced that Theo would have gotten that one either.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Karl Pilkington

I'd like to thank the media for Jose's great play the last three games of the series. He said in an interview that it was very aggravating to hear him being compared to Raycroft.. I think this pushed him harder to focus more and play better.

To prove my point; on CBC he was asked about the head to head battle with Raycroft and how he won it.. he said that Raycroft was a good goalie and all, but he won game seven because he was more experienced and knew how to handle to pressure.

His attitude/confidence with the things he says reminds me of Patrick Roy... anybody else see it?

Thank you media for comparing Jose to Raycroft...

Old
04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Darz

Some good points, David, but I gotta disagree about Raycroft costing the Bruins the series. I think WITHOUT Raycroft in net for the Bruins they would of been out in 5 games instead of 7. The goals that got past Raycroft for the most part were the type of goals 99% of goalies wouldn't have stopped.
As for the winners win comment, one thing that you must give Raycroft is time. I mean Theodore didn't win a Stanley Cup in his first playoff attempt and you still consider him a winner, so......

What the hell am I doing. I don't wanna defend Bruins anymore. End of discussion.

Old
04-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Check out Andre Markov's +/- rating. It's becoming pretty apparent that his early season struggles were nothing more than something that stemmed from a son's concern for his sick father's health. It's good to have you back Andre!
Don't forget Craig Rivet, who was maligned here for a poor +/- rating. He and Markov have made a great defensive pairing, and Rivet actually leads the defensemen in the +/- category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
The key will be to stop Martin St-Louis.
St. Louis is deadly. In the 4 games Montreal and Tampa played this year, he had 2 goals and 4 assists. (By the way, Koivu had 3 goals and 4 assists. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
I agree with you that Jose was huge, but bear in mind that the one goal that Raycroft allowed was virtually unstoppable: that pass seemed to bank off the netting and Zednik was lightning with it.
There was some sweet irony in the fact that Rolston was supposed to be covering Zednik on that play. Rolston talked a lot before the series, but was unable to deliver defensively on the series-winning goal.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
There was some sweet irony in the fact that Rolston was supposed to be covering Zednik on that play. Rolston talked a lot before the series, but was unable to deliver defensively on the series-winning goal.
Ya, it's pretty funny that for along time now when Bruin fans were trying to convince Habs fans of their superiority, the name Rolston came up time and time again (how we didn't have as good of a 2nd line centre as Rolston), and now the talk is about how the Bruins should get rid of the BUM!!!

Old
04-21-2004, 02:36 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Some good points, David, but I gotta disagree about Raycroft costing the Bruins the series. I think WITHOUT Raycroft in net for the Bruins they would of been out in 5 games instead of 7.

I mean Theodore didn't win a Stanley Cup in his first playoff attempt and you still consider him a winner, so......
It isn't like Raycroft only had one chance to put the CH away. No. He sucked in game 5, was a little better in game 6 and was much better in game 7. However, he wasn't able to make the IMPORTANT save to keep the team in the game. I mean when he lets the first shot he faced in all of the third period in, he's not gonna win you too many games. But I agree, it was a difficult goal to defend against, but it's also true that he stayed a split second too long with the paddle down admiring his first block! Bottom line is that although he had 3 chances, he could not put the CH away. Winners win. Case in point Patrick Lamime.

What I mean by winners is that they are not afraid of winning when all the pressure and the focus is on you.
That they don't wilt under the pressure and do themselves in like that guy in Ottawa did again this year. Although Jose may not have won the Cup yet, he's always had this quality.

It was this quality that allowed him to win the WJC...and it was this exact quality again that allowed him to pester the management into letting him step into the pressure cooker that was Montreal in the 4th game against the POWERHOUSE NJ in '98 when Jose was only 19 years old (someone please correct me if I have the year and the age wrong). They were down 0-3 and all the pressure of the entire city wanting Patrick Roy back from Colorado was squarely on Thibault's shoulder and he was wilting but not Jose. He rather thrived on it! He made some incredible saves and kicked out some 48 shots or something rediculous to preserve the series. This is the quality that I'm talking about when I talk about winners winning...not necessarily having won the Cup yet...but that he has this quality which leads me to believe that he will eventually win the Cup...and nothing to indicate that he can't win it this year either!

Now having said that, I do realize that Jose's still working on his consistancy. In 98, obviously he wasn't able keep it going for the next game. And he showed that he couldn't get it going after 2002 win against the B's when faced with a lesser team in the following round.

I think that Jose's biggest challenge now is to take that next step and learn to be consistant to win 12 more games. It's not going to be easy now because instead of the hated Big, Bad, Bruins, we have little Marty St. Louis and the mild mannered, sun soaking, laid back Tampa Bay Lightning. How do you get up for that? Especially when the sun is shining and the beach is beckoning you from outside...for long stretches in the last 15 years, Montreal has struggled in Florida for this exact reason. It's gonna be hard to think that it's not a vacation for the CH when the opposition is so underrated and the weather is +33 degrees outside.

This is the exact same problem that Jose and the team faced two years ago in Carolina. Montreal has to over come this Floriday effect and not play down to the opposition.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:48 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
His attitude/confidence with the things he says reminds me of Patrick Roy... anybody else see it?
I was actually thinking this exact same thing on Monday night. How Jose was so non-chalant and cocky like Pat used to do...but didn't want to over do it with too many Pat Roy comparisons. No sense in hyping up the kid again to a point where he has no where to go but down...but I gotta admit, I felt so solid as the game progressed 'cos I almost knew that nothing was going in that night!

Old
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Raycroft was amazing the whole series, I hope he learned alot and I hope he is successful. As for the bruins... well I don't know in what direction their going

Old
04-21-2004, 04:56 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It isn't like Raycroft only had one chance to put the CH away. No. He sucked in game 5, was a little better in game 6 and was much better in game 7. However, he wasn't able to make the IMPORTANT save to keep the team in the game. I mean when he lets the first shot he faced in all of the third period in, he's not gonna win you too many games. But I agree, it was a difficult goal to defend against, but it's also true that he stayed a split second too long with the paddle down admiring his first block! Bottom line is that although he had 3 chances, he could not put the CH away. Winners win. Case in point Patrick Lamime.

What I mean by winners is that they are not afraid of winning when all the pressure and the focus is on you.
That they don't wilt under the pressure and do themselves in like that guy in Ottawa did again this year. Although Jose may not have won the Cup yet, he's always had this quality.

It was this quality that allowed him to win the WJC...and it was this exact quality again that allowed him to pester the management into letting him step into the pressure cooker that was Montreal in the 4th game against the POWERHOUSE NJ in '98 when Jose was only 19 years old (someone please correct me if I have the year and the age wrong). They were down 0-3 and all the pressure of the entire city wanting Patrick Roy back from Colorado was squarely on Thibault's shoulder and he was wilting but not Jose. He rather thrived on it! He made some incredible saves and kicked out some 48 shots or something rediculous to preserve the series. This is the quality that I'm talking about when I talk about winners winning...not necessarily having won the Cup yet...but that he has this quality which leads me to believe that he will eventually win the Cup...and nothing to indicate that he can't win it this year either!

Now having said that, I do realize that Jose's still working on his consistancy. In 98, obviously he wasn't able keep it going for the next game. And he showed that he couldn't get it going after 2002 win against the B's when faced with a lesser team in the following round.

I think that Jose's biggest challenge now is to take that next step and learn to be consistant to win 12 more games. It's not going to be easy now because instead of the hated Big, Bad, Bruins, we have little Marty St. Louis and the mild mannered, sun soaking, laid back Tampa Bay Lightning. How do you get up for that? Especially when the sun is shining and the beach is beckoning you from outside...for long stretches in the last 15 years, Montreal has struggled in Florida for this exact reason. It's gonna be hard to think that it's not a vacation for the CH when the opposition is so underrated and the weather is +33 degrees outside.

This is the exact same problem that Jose and the team faced two years ago in Carolina. Montreal has to over come this Floriday effect and not play down to the opposition.

You could have made a case if you used series 2 years ago when Theo was a single reason Habs won but not these series.

I think Theodore wasn't bad or something but he did let in even more bad goals than Raycroft and believe me if Montreal D let Theo high and dry as many times as Raycroft he would've let even more.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:40 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You could have made a case if you used series 2 years ago when Theo was a single reason Habs won but not these series.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
believe me if Montreal D let Theo high and dry as many times as Raycroft he would've let even more.
Huh? Did you watch the 7th game?

Closed Thread