HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra, anyone?

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
Demitra, anyone?

the Blues are going to be cutting payroll and apparently they're going to be trading Demitra ... http://www.thefourthperiod.com/stl16.html

he's an RFA at the end of the year, and made $6.5 mill this season... do we try and grab him? st. louis is going for a youth change... maybe we can do something?

Demitra - Koivu - Kovalev
Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder

damn... probably won't happen, but maybe worthy of discussion

thoughts?

Old
04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
habitual_hab

Given their waiver situation versus their development, Hossa & Hainsey for Demitra makes some sense.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

It would be nice but I think we should stick with what the team is suppose to do: A youth mouvement. And he will cost a lot of million so we cant sign Kovy and Demitra+the contract of Koivu and Theo are huge so I don't think it's possible.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
NO, we dont need him. With guys like Perezhogan, Higgins, and Hossa being ready to make the jump next season, there just isnt room. The only guy imo who should be signed is Kovalev, because we already know that he has chemistry with Koivu and Zednik.

Demitra may come in, and fail to find any chemistry. Kovalev may too next season, but i highly doubt that with the way he has performed on the first line this post-season.

What im basically saying is, with Kovalev, we know he will work with our system. Demitra we dont, and why gamble when we are still in the early process of rebuilding.

Go Habs Go!

Old
04-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Habber

If Kovalev isn't staying, then I say go for it. But if BG signs Kovy, I don't think there's room for both of them. We need a top 6 spot open for a kid and I doubt BG couls add that much salary.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:13 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
I agree that it wouldn't be reasonable to try to get Demitra as we already invested Balej to get Kovy. Plus, though I always kinda liked Demitra, as someone said before, we are ourself in a youth movement, and with the likes of Zednik, Koivu ,Kovalev, Bulis, Souray, Brisebois, Theo and others, we already have a good core of young veteran who, after this years p.o., will all be more experienced(especially in the p.o.'s). We should just stick to the plan and go with the youth movement.

Maybe we could sign a D, I don't know???

Old
04-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSTRAK
I agree that it wouldn't be reasonable to try to get Demitra as we already invested Balej to get Kovy. Plus, though I always kinda liked Demitra, as someone said before, we are ourself in a youth movement, and with the likes of Zednik, Koivu ,Kovalev, Bulis, Souray, Brisebois, Theo and others, we already have a good core of young veteran who, after this years p.o., will all be more experienced(especially in the p.o.'s). We should just stick to the plan and go with the youth movement.

Maybe we could sign a D, I don't know???
Theres no room for d either.

top 6 next season most likely...

Markov, Souray, Hainsey, Breezy, Rivet, Komo.

7th d....

Boulioun.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Artyukhin*

is there really any need to shake up the team we got now?
sign kovy(if he wants to stay)
say good bye to a few cats(possiblty of perrault,dackell)
and lets try to workin one or 2 of the youngster in hamition...
there nottin wrong with this team..its alot better than people give it credit for..were in good hand guys..in bob we trust

just look at dallas right?lol 65 million and golfing..lol

go habs go..go bob go..hell everyone lets go!!!!!!!!
st louis is also golfin...

Old
04-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
there nottin wrong with this team..its alot better than people give it credit for..were in good hand guys..in bob we trust

Agreed, what we got is perfect and will only get better with the talented youth coming in.

Ah, FINALLY, the future is bright (i hope) LOL!

Old
04-21-2004, 03:49 PM
eddy

Demitra or any other legitimate top 6 forward would complete our top 2 lines, cause Dagenias just isn't a true top 6 forward in the nhl, cept for him were good.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Demitra or any other legitimate top 6 forward would complete our top 2 lines, cause Dagenias just isn't a true top 6 forward in the nhl, cept for him were good.
I would be awsome, no doubt, but then were do the prospects play??, and where do we get the "extra" cash from. Maybe Gillet would shell out some cash, but we are rebuilding, no sense in going out and paying a guy 6 mill to take up more roster space for atleast 2 years when we could have a player developing in that spot for a fraction of the costs who could turn out to be simular in terms of talent or better.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:15 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I would be awsome, no doubt, but then were do the prospects play??, and where do we get the "extra" cash from. Maybe Gillet would shell out some cash, but we are rebuilding, no sense in going out and paying a guy 6 mill to take up more roster space for atleast 2 years when we could have a player developing in that spot for a fraction of the costs who could turn out to be simular in terms of talent or better.
Ya sure if one of our prospects is ready for top six duty in the NHL in his first year even better, we have quite a few possible candidates but I guess we'll see in training camp who might be up to the task, hopefully it won't be to much to soon but Ryder did it.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Ya sure if one of our prospects is ready for top six duty in the NHL in his first year even better, we have quite a few possible candidates but I guess we'll see in training camp who might be up to the task, hopefully it won't be to much to soon but Ryder did it.

Ya, its always a problem when to many good rookies are ready to come in.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:25 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be all for it if we could get him for cheap; that would give us extra time to develop AK or Perez: It's not realistic to pin them down on our top 6 and expect them to produce. Someone mentioned Hainsey and Hossa, that would be a very cheap --and very unrealistic-- price for Demitra. However, I seriously doubt that we could have him for that cheap, and I think we'd have to give to much.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
I'd be all for it if we could get him for cheap; that would give us extra time to develop AK or Perez: It's not realistic to pin them down on our top 6 and expect them to produce. Someone mentioned Hainsey and Hossa, that would be a very cheap --and very unrealistic-- price for Demitra. However, I seriously doubt that we could have him for that cheap, and I think we'd have to give to much.
I wouldnt give up either Hainsey or Hossa, there too young to let go.

And if it took more than Hainsey and Hossa, it would never happen and probably wont.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:35 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
I wouldnt give up either Hainsey or Hossa, there too young to let go.

And if it took more than Hainsey and Hossa, it would never happen and probably wont.
Hainsey and Hossa are prospects that have not lived up to the expectations, I seriosuly doubt they hold anymore than marginal trade value. They certainly don't equal --value wise-- a player like Demitra. And if, IF, Hainsey and Hossa were enough, why wouldn't we do it?

Old
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
toughstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie

As much as I would like to agree with you (I like most of the current players), I cannot.

We need to get bigger. And we need to do so quickly. In two (2) to three (3) years, we will be contenders and we will need to confront teams such as Philadelphia, Vancouver, Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, Calgary, ...

If that means giving a bit of the core or even significant prospect in exchange for a young power forward or better yet invest some $ in free agency, we should do towards that goal.

Demitra does not fit our immediate nor medium term goals.

Suggestions: We should go after players such as (forwards) Tyler Pyatt, Brendan Morrow, Mike Fisher, Sedin Twins, .... (defensemen) not many come to mind but let me try: Mike Rathje, Jiri Fisher ??? (Detroit), Wade Redden, ....

Last edited by toughstuff: 04-21-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Hainsey and Hossa are prospects that have not lived up to the expectations, I seriosuly doubt they hold anymore than marginal trade value. They certainly don't equal --value wise-- a player like Demitra. And if, IF, Hainsey and Hossa were enough, why wouldn't we do it?
Because we have to many spots not to waste. Lets say Higgins and perezhogan are ready to play next season, and Kovalev gets signed. On top of that Hossa has to play as he cant be sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers. On D, we are not deep in terms of prospects. Giving up Hainsey would meen we have no more Blue chip D prospects left.

Most importantly though we're in the first year of rebuilding, this is not the time to send prospects out. Hossa and Hainsey are still below 21 year of age, which is very young to say they are busts. They still have time. Some players just take longer to develope, does Ryder ring a bell???

Old
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Because we have to many spots not to waste. Lets say Higgins and perezhogan are ready to play next season, and Kovalev gets signed. On top of that Hossa has to play as he cant be sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers. On D, we are not deep in terms of prospects. Giving up Hainsey would meen we have no more Blue chip D prospects left.

Most importantly though we're in the first year of rebuilding, this is not the time to send prospects out. Hossa and Hainsey are still below 21 year of age, which is very young to say they are busts. They still have time. Some players just take longer to develope, does Ryder ring a bell???
Bah, we can play Perez on the third line to give him experience. Ottawa did it with Havlat and it worked fine. Higgins is supposed to be the perfect 3rd liner, we could play him 4th line until Dowd is gone.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:

Bah, we can play Perez on the third line to give him experience. Ottawa did it with Havlat and it worked fine. Higgins is supposed to be the perfect 3rd liner, we could play him 4th line until Dowd is gone. But I agree with the other guy, Demitra is a finesse and we should try to build a playoff team, a bigger team.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Bah, we can play Perez on the third line to give him experience. Ottawa did it with Havlat and it worked fine. Higgins is supposed to be the perfect 3rd liner, we could play him 4th line until Dowd is gone.
Thats fine, but what if Hossa and Hainsey turn out to be good players.

In Hossa we loose our only winger with size.

With Hainsey we loose our only Blue chip D prospect as well as our only good puck moving D prospect.

Its not worth the gamble yet. Ottawa waited a long time before they made major moves. Its fine if we move lower tier prospects like we did with Balej, but even then theirs a limit. We cant move first and second rounders.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Higgins is supposed to be the perfect 3rd liner, we could play him 4th line until Dowd is gone.
Says who? Higgins is a perfect second liner in my book, and could be a great first liner. I think we would need a sticky about Higgins, so people stop thinking he's a checker. It's getting annoying.

Oh, and for the topic.. Well, I never liked Demitra and wouldn't want him on our team.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Says who? Higgins is a perfect second liner in my book, and could be a great first liner. I think we would need a sticky about Higgins, so people stop thinking he's a checker. It's getting annoying.

Oh, and for the topic.. Well, I never liked Demitra and wouldn't want him on our team.
I know it is annoying. Higgins was a first round pick, and he has the skill to be a second line winger, maybe even first.

Just because he can play defense doesnt mean hes a third liner.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Thats fine, but what if Hossa and Hainsey turn out to be good players.

In Hossa we loose our only winger with size.

With Hainsey we loose our only Blue chip D prospect as well as our only good puck moving D prospect.

Its not worth the gamble yet. Ottawa waited a long time before they made major moves. Its fine if we move lower tier prospects like we did with Balej, but even then theirs a limit. We cant move first and second rounders.
Hossa IS expandable. We have Higgins, Pleks, AK, Perez above him in the depth chart. As for Hainsey, let me explain. Komisarek will still be very inexperienced next year, he will be a rookie, and will replace Quintal. Do you think having two rookies in the line up is wise, and that would be supposing that Hainsey outplays Bouillon? We have Archer and other defencement coming up for the next couple of years. I think loosing Hainsey would hurt, but Demitra is a fair enough --woa-- consolation price........

Old
04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Hossa IS expandable. We have Higgins, Pleks, AK, Perez above him in the depth chart. As for Hainsey, let me explain. Komisarek will still be very inexperienced next year, he will be a rookie, and will replace Quintal. Do you think having two rookies in the line up is wise, and that would be supposing that Hainsey outplays Bouillon? We have Archer and other defencement coming up for the next couple of years. I think loosing Hainsey would hurt, but Demitra is a fair enough --woa-- consolation price........
I know what your saying, but like i said, Hossa has Size. No other prospect has that.

Did you see the way Kovalev was able to drive around the net last game and get that puck to Zednik. Thats was a size factor. Pleks, perezhogan, AK are not big wingers. Higgins is also small, but he can use his body effectively, kinda like Begin.

If we had some other bigger prospects, i wouldnt mind so much, but were a tad on the small side, so..........

Closed Thread