HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren looking for D-man

Old
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
A few trades were really stupid.

1. Eminger (what the **** was that)
2. Carcillo (as much as I like him), for 2nd and Upshall. CRAZY!
3. I like Pronger but I think we overpiad a little bit.

Not to mention Jones situation and disgusting contract there..

After drafting JVR we shoudl of rebuild for one single year. intead of trading 1st for Timonen and Hartnell and 32nd over all for Biron. Not that they are bad players (well I never like back up Biron).

But we were talking about one single year of rebuild.
I make that trade 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000. What player would we select with that pick that would help us as much as Timonen and Hartnell have? Theres no guarantee that player even makes it to the NHL, let alone becomes half the player Timonen is, not even taking Hartnell into consideration. We traded an extra pick for a top 15 dman and a 30 goal agitator. That was a great trade, if you're gonna trade a 1st, thats the kind of return you want. I know it was for the rights to them, but we locked them up, and before anyone could drive the price up anymore.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I make that trade 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000. What player would we select with that pick that would help us as much as Timonen and Hartnell have? Theres no guarantee that player even makes it to the NHL, let alone becomes half the player Timonen is, not even taking Hartnell into consideration. We traded an extra pick for a top 15 dman and a 30 goal agitator. That was a great trade, if you're gonna trade a 1st, thats the kind of return you want. I know it was for the rights to them, but we locked them up, and before anyone could drive the price up anymore.
Well, the pick was used on this guy: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90120

Only real notable player drafted after that point since then is David Perron.

I agree in any event, that's a definitely do it trade even in hindsight.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the pick was used on this guy: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90120

Jonathan Blum is also being developed properly by Nashville. He's going to be a very, very, very good defenseman for a long, long, long time. They know how to develop players. It also helps that they've got a very good program in place and a very good coach as well.

I won't complain about the trade because it brought us Timonen, who has had a Desjardins-like effect on the defense. However, I was never thrilled that it brought Hartnell and the ridiculous contract they signed him to.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Joey Mac

we should stay put come deadline time unless we can move a contract or two (which i doubt)... let's face it, the flyers will never have cap relief and will always go out to get the best name on the market and it usually won't pan out like we'd expect...

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Jonathan Blum is also being developed properly by Nashville. He's going to be a very, very, very good defenseman for a long, long, long time. They know how to develop players. It also helps that they've got a very good program in place and a very good coach as well.
Right, but for where this team is at today...with a legit chance to compete for a championship in the next couple of years if they're smart...not really someone we need.

Quote:
I won't complain about the trade because it brought us Timonen, who has had a Desjardins-like effect on the defense.
No doubt.

Quote:
However, I was never thrilled that it brought Hartnell and the ridiculous contract they signed him to.
Aware, but as noted, his contract really isn't ridiculous against his constituency at all, and he's a key component. To be honest, I think he's played a huge role in Carter becoming the scorer he's been over the past season and a half.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Homer and Burke are pretty close friends, and both demand the same hockey strategy so maybe we could see someone like Garnet Exlbey made a 5 or 6 man.
Please.. why would we want to trade for Exelby? We are probably going to play Wahsington\Pittsburgh or maybe Devils.

I do not want to see Exelby or OTK like players on the ice against Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin or Parise etc etc etc. May as well roll with Syvret, Bart and hopefully Parent will get healthy.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Talbetts

Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michalek (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?

Last edited by Talbetts: 01-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michaleck (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?
I'd commit mass murder to have A-Train on this roster, but the Sens are in the playoff run, red hot, and completely healthy. They aren't really sellers right now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michalek (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?
Senators are contending right now. Do not see them selling.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I don't know how the salaries would work. I do know we'd see Woof turn all kinds of purple, if Nicky became a Flyer.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Does that mean we would pick that guy? Of course not.

and I did not say that it was a bad trade. Overpaying for Timonen on UFA market would not be crazy. Do you think someone would give him 7M a year? I doubt it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Did I say that? That's actually specifically why I noted the only player of note picked after that pick.

Quote:
and I did not say that it was a bad trade.
Did I say that you did? Hell, wasn't even responding to you.

Old
01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Please.. why would we want to trade for Exelby? We are probably going to play Wahsington\Pittsburgh or maybe Devils.

I do not want to see Exelby or OTK like players on the ice against Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin or Parise etc etc etc. May as well roll with Syvret, Bart and hopefully Parent will get healthy.
watching those guys get bullied by the likes of staal and knuble is exactly why you go after someone like exelby. im confident we can win the swings through the neutral zone the battles down low...not so much.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Right, but for where this team is at today...with a legit chance to compete for a championship in the next couple of years if they're smart...not really someone we need.
I wouldn't say Blum isn't someone we need considering we could use a prospect of his caliber to call up on the third pairing.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I wouldn't say Blum isn't someone we need considering we could use a prospect of his caliber to call up on the third pairing.
Well, sure, we could use him...but at the expense of Timonen and Hartnell potentially?

Personally, I'd rather have a solid veteran than a young player like that given our D...but that's just me.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well, sure, we could use him...but at the expense of Timonen and Hartnell potentially?

Personally, I'd rather have a solid veteran than a young player like that given our D...but that's just me.
Agreed, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal, just disputing the notion we couldn't use a prospect like him.

The real deal that hurts is the pick that became Carlson for 12 games of Eminger.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agreed, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal, just disputing the notion we couldn't use a prospect like him.

The real deal that hurts is the pick that became Carlson for 12 games of Eminger.
yep and Holmgren basically admitted he effed up by trading Eminger and Downie for Carle.
There is no way you can defend giving up a first round pick for Steve Eminger. Especially given that the contract he got would have cost a 3rd round pick if the Flyers would have just tendered him a offer sheet.
The Flyers need a veteran for the 5/6 pairing. A guy who knows what his role is, can skate and wont take dumb penalties. Easier said then done I know given our cap situation.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:45 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
2. Carcillo (as much as I like him), for 2nd and Upshall. CRAZY!
Crazy 'Yotes yes, they got robbed. I'd been superhappy with sending a 1st instead of 2nd, too. :-{D

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Karl Racki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
yep and Holmgren basically admitted he effed up by trading Eminger and Downie for Carle.
There is no way you can defend giving up a first round pick for Steve Eminger. Especially given that the contract he got would have cost a 3rd round pick if the Flyers would have just tendered him a offer sheet.
The Flyers need a veteran for the 5/6 pairing. A guy who knows what his role is, can skate and wont take dumb penalties. Easier said then done I know given our cap situation.
Sounds like Alberts fits what you need as far as what type of player and salary (He also has 1 year(I think) left on his contract so it would be more than just a rental). His contract is less than it was last year and Im sure the asking price would be as well. Im sure he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th round pick... With Carolina being sellers, I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back with the Flyers...

Karl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

and I did not say that it was a bad trade. Overpaying for Timonen on UFA market would not be crazy. Do you think someone would give him 7M a year? I doubt it.
Redden got $6.5. Let that sink in.

We locked Timonen up for $6.33

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Racki View Post
Sounds like Alberts fits what you need as far as what type of player and salary (He also has 1 year(I think) left on his contract so it would be more than just a rental). His contract is less than it was last year and Im sure the asking price would be as well. Im sure he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th round pick... With Carolina being sellers, I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back with the Flyers...
I would have no problem with that. I thought Alberts was very underrated last year for a 3rd pairing guy and at what he costs he would make a fine addition. I thought it was a mistake to let him go in the first place

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I would have no problem with that. I thought Alberts was very underrated last year for a 3rd pairing guy and at what he costs he would make a fine addition. I thought it was a mistake to let him go in the first place
Was a money factor.

My only problem with Alberts was that he went into those funks of pure awful play.

Old
01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Was a money factor.

My only problem with Alberts was that he went into those funks of pure awful play.
So he would Randy Jones' it?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The value in the Carle trade was fine, it was the cap management tthat made it suck.

Eminger trade sucked

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The value in the Carle trade was fine, it was the cap management tthat made it suck.

Eminger trade sucked
Word!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote