HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren looking for D-man

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
  #126
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
A few trades were really stupid.

1. Eminger (what the **** was that)
2. Carcillo (as much as I like him), for 2nd and Upshall. CRAZY!
3. I like Pronger but I think we overpiad a little bit.

Not to mention Jones situation and disgusting contract there..

After drafting JVR we shoudl of rebuild for one single year. intead of trading 1st for Timonen and Hartnell and 32nd over all for Biron. Not that they are bad players (well I never like back up Biron).

But we were talking about one single year of rebuild.
I make that trade 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000. What player would we select with that pick that would help us as much as Timonen and Hartnell have? Theres no guarantee that player even makes it to the NHL, let alone becomes half the player Timonen is, not even taking Hartnell into consideration. We traded an extra pick for a top 15 dman and a 30 goal agitator. That was a great trade, if you're gonna trade a 1st, thats the kind of return you want. I know it was for the rights to them, but we locked them up, and before anyone could drive the price up anymore.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
  #127
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I make that trade 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000. What player would we select with that pick that would help us as much as Timonen and Hartnell have? Theres no guarantee that player even makes it to the NHL, let alone becomes half the player Timonen is, not even taking Hartnell into consideration. We traded an extra pick for a top 15 dman and a 30 goal agitator. That was a great trade, if you're gonna trade a 1st, thats the kind of return you want. I know it was for the rights to them, but we locked them up, and before anyone could drive the price up anymore.
Well, the pick was used on this guy: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90120

Only real notable player drafted after that point since then is David Perron.

I agree in any event, that's a definitely do it trade even in hindsight.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
  #128
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the pick was used on this guy: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90120

Only real notable player drafted after that point since then is David Perron.

I agree in any event, that's a definitely do it trade even in hindsight.
Jonathan Blum is also being developed properly by Nashville. He's going to be a very, very, very good defenseman for a long, long, long time. They know how to develop players. It also helps that they've got a very good program in place and a very good coach as well.

I won't complain about the trade because it brought us Timonen, who has had a Desjardins-like effect on the defense. However, I was never thrilled that it brought Hartnell and the ridiculous contract they signed him to.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
  #129
Joey Mac
Registered User
 
Joey Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
we should stay put come deadline time unless we can move a contract or two (which i doubt)... let's face it, the flyers will never have cap relief and will always go out to get the best name on the market and it usually won't pan out like we'd expect...

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
  #130
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Jonathan Blum is also being developed properly by Nashville. He's going to be a very, very, very good defenseman for a long, long, long time. They know how to develop players. It also helps that they've got a very good program in place and a very good coach as well.
Right, but for where this team is at today...with a legit chance to compete for a championship in the next couple of years if they're smart...not really someone we need.

Quote:
I won't complain about the trade because it brought us Timonen, who has had a Desjardins-like effect on the defense.
No doubt.

Quote:
However, I was never thrilled that it brought Hartnell and the ridiculous contract they signed him to.
Aware, but as noted, his contract really isn't ridiculous against his constituency at all, and he's a key component. To be honest, I think he's played a huge role in Carter becoming the scorer he's been over the past season and a half.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
  #131
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Homer and Burke are pretty close friends, and both demand the same hockey strategy so maybe we could see someone like Garnet Exlbey made a 5 or 6 man.
Please.. why would we want to trade for Exelby? We are probably going to play Wahsington\Pittsburgh or maybe Devils.

I do not want to see Exelby or OTK like players on the ice against Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin or Parise etc etc etc. May as well roll with Syvret, Bart and hopefully Parent will get healthy.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
  #132
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michalek (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?


Last edited by Talbetts: 01-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
  #133
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michaleck (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?
I'd commit mass murder to have A-Train on this roster, but the Sens are in the playoff run, red hot, and completely healthy. They aren't really sellers right now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
  #134
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michalek (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?
Senators are contending right now. Do not see them selling.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
  #135
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Volchenkov would be my number one target. Leopold, Reghyr, and Michalek (not happening) would be nice too, but if I was Homer, I would put in a serious offer for the A-Train! I wouldn't mind working Foligno into the deal as well. Hartnell and Coburn for Volchenkov and Foligno? Do the salaries work?
I don't know how the salaries would work. I do know we'd see Woof turn all kinds of purple, if Nicky became a Flyer.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
  #136
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the pick was used on this guy: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90120

Only real notable player drafted after that point since then is David Perron.

I agree in any event, that's a definitely do it trade even in hindsight.
Does that mean we would pick that guy? Of course not.

and I did not say that it was a bad trade. Overpaying for Timonen on UFA market would not be crazy. Do you think someone would give him 7M a year? I doubt it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
  #137
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Does that mean we would pick that guy? Of course not.
Did I say that? That's actually specifically why I noted the only player of note picked after that pick.

Quote:
and I did not say that it was a bad trade.
Did I say that you did? Hell, wasn't even responding to you.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
  #138
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Please.. why would we want to trade for Exelby? We are probably going to play Wahsington\Pittsburgh or maybe Devils.

I do not want to see Exelby or OTK like players on the ice against Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin or Parise etc etc etc. May as well roll with Syvret, Bart and hopefully Parent will get healthy.
watching those guys get bullied by the likes of staal and knuble is exactly why you go after someone like exelby. im confident we can win the swings through the neutral zone the battles down low...not so much.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
  #139
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Right, but for where this team is at today...with a legit chance to compete for a championship in the next couple of years if they're smart...not really someone we need.
I wouldn't say Blum isn't someone we need considering we could use a prospect of his caliber to call up on the third pairing.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
  #140
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I wouldn't say Blum isn't someone we need considering we could use a prospect of his caliber to call up on the third pairing.
Well, sure, we could use him...but at the expense of Timonen and Hartnell potentially?

Personally, I'd rather have a solid veteran than a young player like that given our D...but that's just me.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
  #141
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, sure, we could use him...but at the expense of Timonen and Hartnell potentially?

Personally, I'd rather have a solid veteran than a young player like that given our D...but that's just me.
Agreed, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal, just disputing the notion we couldn't use a prospect like him.

The real deal that hurts is the pick that became Carlson for 12 games of Eminger.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:30 PM
  #142
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,407
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agreed, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal, just disputing the notion we couldn't use a prospect like him.

The real deal that hurts is the pick that became Carlson for 12 games of Eminger.
yep and Holmgren basically admitted he effed up by trading Eminger and Downie for Carle.
There is no way you can defend giving up a first round pick for Steve Eminger. Especially given that the contract he got would have cost a 3rd round pick if the Flyers would have just tendered him a offer sheet.
The Flyers need a veteran for the 5/6 pairing. A guy who knows what his role is, can skate and wont take dumb penalties. Easier said then done I know given our cap situation.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:45 AM
  #143
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
2. Carcillo (as much as I like him), for 2nd and Upshall. CRAZY!
Crazy 'Yotes yes, they got robbed. I'd been superhappy with sending a 1st instead of 2nd, too. :-{D

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
  #144
Karl Racki
Registered User
 
Karl Racki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
yep and Holmgren basically admitted he effed up by trading Eminger and Downie for Carle.
There is no way you can defend giving up a first round pick for Steve Eminger. Especially given that the contract he got would have cost a 3rd round pick if the Flyers would have just tendered him a offer sheet.
The Flyers need a veteran for the 5/6 pairing. A guy who knows what his role is, can skate and wont take dumb penalties. Easier said then done I know given our cap situation.
Sounds like Alberts fits what you need as far as what type of player and salary (He also has 1 year(I think) left on his contract so it would be more than just a rental). His contract is less than it was last year and Im sure the asking price would be as well. Im sure he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th round pick... With Carolina being sellers, I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back with the Flyers...

Karl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
  #145
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Does that mean we would pick that guy? Of course not.

and I did not say that it was a bad trade. Overpaying for Timonen on UFA market would not be crazy. Do you think someone would give him 7M a year? I doubt it.
Redden got $6.5. Let that sink in.

We locked Timonen up for $6.33

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
  #146
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Racki View Post
Sounds like Alberts fits what you need as far as what type of player and salary (He also has 1 year(I think) left on his contract so it would be more than just a rental). His contract is less than it was last year and Im sure the asking price would be as well. Im sure he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th round pick... With Carolina being sellers, I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up back with the Flyers...
I would have no problem with that. I thought Alberts was very underrated last year for a 3rd pairing guy and at what he costs he would make a fine addition. I thought it was a mistake to let him go in the first place

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
  #147
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I would have no problem with that. I thought Alberts was very underrated last year for a 3rd pairing guy and at what he costs he would make a fine addition. I thought it was a mistake to let him go in the first place
Was a money factor.

My only problem with Alberts was that he went into those funks of pure awful play.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
  #148
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Was a money factor.

My only problem with Alberts was that he went into those funks of pure awful play.
So he would Randy Jones' it?


IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
  #149
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The value in the Carle trade was fine, it was the cap management tthat made it suck.

Eminger trade sucked

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
  #150
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The value in the Carle trade was fine, it was the cap management tthat made it suck.

Eminger trade sucked
Word!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.