HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Press Release: Check this out...

Old
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

vCash: 500
Press Release: Check this out...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/..._shopping_six/discuss. we have been waiting to hear this.

Last edited by elpol: 01-25-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: This is really important!
elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:30 AM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/..._shopping_six/discuss. we have been waiting to hear this.
Out of those 6, Lubo is the only one I dont want to see go.
Other than that, the list matches mine.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

That is not a press release..........

That is a link to Sportsnet...

They are just quoting an article in Sunday's Edmonton Sun..........

Link here: http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my...92566-sun.html

Quote:

With the NHL trade deadline on March 3, Tambellini has plenty of work to do.

Three league executives confirmed Tambellini has made it known he is willing to deal Shawn Horcoff, Robert Nilsson, Ethan Moreau, Steve Staios, Sheldon Souray and Lubomir Visnovsky. There is a bit of an obstacle in the way of dealing any of them, though. Their contracts make it tough to find a taker.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
jfhlbuffy

I put little faith in an article that doesn't know the first name of our best player.

I put little faith in anything written by Bruce Garrioch.

This is both of those.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Not at all surprising, although O'Sullivan is noticeably absent from that list.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:36 AM
greatgazoo

No shockers there as Penner really has become an untouchable with the Captaincy all but his for sure once Moreau goes.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:39 AM
dookers9

Meh... I'm thinkin' that those names are to be expected and have been bandied about already. I'm more intrigued by the alleged refusal by Tambo to move Cogs, if in fact he's the commodity the article states he is. I also think that I'd be listening to offers on Penner - if he'll bring in some cheaper players that fit the vision, so be it.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
No shockers there as Penner really has become an untouchable with the Captaincy all but his for sure once Moreau goes.
That's not true at all, I'd rather have Hemsky get it then Penner. Hemsky been through way more and accomplished more than Penner has as an Oiler.

I'm kind of hoping they bring in someone completely new to be the new captain though.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:42 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

I thought that list came out last week--only name differnce is no Cogliano

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Marc08

So imagine they trade all 6 notable players, including captain and alternate captains, who's going to replace them?

With very few veterans left and been with the Oilers for long period of time I would say:

C - Ales Hemsky
A - Dustin Penner
A - Ladislav Smid

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:44 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Not at all surprising, although O'Sullivan is noticeably absent from that list.
Good call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
Interesting... I'm not one that believes so confidently in Penner's leadership skills. And I'm worried about a situation where he becomes one essentially via process of elimitation - the way it's going, there'll be no one left as a better option.

Personally, I'm loathe to move our higher performers... we've seen far too much of it so far. But, if Penner's contact ends right in the mix of the re-build, and he could otherwise be used in acquiring another character player and/or helps us get another 1st rounder, then such is life.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:46 AM
greatgazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
That's not true at all, I'd rather have Hemsky get it then Penner. Hemsky been through way more and accomplished more than Penner has as an Oiler.

I'm kind of hoping they bring in someone completely new to be the new captain though.
Either, or...we can all agree it'll be huge improvment on Mr. Stupid Penalty.

I just like the way that Penner handles the media and the SC ring on his finger helps his cause.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Shane Goudie

Shopping six players isn't a rebuild, it's a prelude to a second tanked season in a row. Hey Franky Musil's son David should be a high pick in 2011, he grew up in Edmonton too!

Shane Goudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

To all those who are having trouble with the thought of trading Visnovsky (and I have been one of them), you have to remember that we are rebuilding now, and when we get rebuilt he won't have anywhere near the production that he has now. We trade him now because his value won't be any higher as an Oiler and we will get a very nice return on him....even though the media for some reason is convincing themselves that just because some of these guys have a few extra years on there deals that they are unmovable. That is maybe the most ridiculous thing I've heard, the fact is there are only 2 unmovable contracts on this team (Horcoff and Khabibulin...and even with those 2 you MIGHT be able to dump them this summer).

I'm excited to see what Visnovsky fetches us and while I'm not a big Gilbert fan these days remember that he did play his best hockey when he was heavily leaned on in 08 with no Souray or Visnovsky around.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:12 AM
jbean

They should keep Lubo, when this team can compete, say in 2-3 years, he'll still have good hockey left in him.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Oilbender

We hear this every year, and every year they are unsuccessful at unloading the garbage.

Oilbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Chayos

The teams needs to get rid of some of those players for sure, but I am positive they would not move all of them even if they had takers. We don't have enough depth to take the loss of both Souray and Vishnovski on the back end, so I am sure it is just one of those 2 players.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:10 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
do we need to start a Save our Lubo campaign?

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 03:34 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
They should keep Lubo, when this team can compete, say in 2-3 years, he'll still have good hockey left in him.
its going to take longer than that if all youre doing is depending on the draft and C-list UFA's they bring in to plug holes their crummy past drafts failed to fill.

Lubo is great but i agree with Ari. dump him for as much as you can get back in non-cap space related "assets"... unless the player in return is very useful in a swiss army knife type fashion. no one dimensional losers like michael ryder, etc.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Fourier

I will be extremely disappointed if Visnovsky is traded. But of that list he would be the one guy I would expect to be in greatest demand.

Cap space is great, but if what you spend it on is less than what you gave up are you really further ahead?

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

As much as I like Visnovsky as a player, if the oilers get an offer to trade him to a contender, they need to jump on that asap.

I don't want to see him go because of cap space, or even really the return(though it is important), but because he's been in the playoffs once in his entire career after spending all his time suffering through futility with the LA king rebuilding years. I'd rather see him get his shot at the cup than languish on the Oilers while they go through their own rebuilding period no matter how much I enjoy watching him play.

Of course, that Toronto first rounder from Boston in return for him would make it easier(come on Boston, you know you want to do it! )

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:48 AM
MSMF117*

There's a lot of chatter here in Boston that the Bruins are talking to the Oilers. I can't seem to figure any trades between the two teams unless the Oilers were willing to trade Penner (but that seems very unlikely). Bruins are in desperate need of a 1st line goal scorer, speed, and an upgrade maybe on defense with the way Dennis Wideman is playing. Anybody have any ideas?

MSMF117* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
hemskysuncle

I think that, as a few have mentioned, many people believe that if a player is not UFA or is paid over 2 million, they are not movable. Visnovsky would be someone a lot of teams would look at, especially if they want to vamp up their offense from the backend. He is also a GREAT team guy (which is why he is probably the worst one to move for the OIlers' sake), and a great mentor.

But also, I think people are not aware or think mistakenly that Souray is not as much sought after. He is well regarded by many people, in fact I think a lot more so than when he was leaving Montreal. Despite his injuries (which Lubo has also had), he has proven that he is not only a great leader, but much more dependable defensively than most people said coming out of MTL. For a team like Boston, who is looking for defensive help, I think that Souray is a very posisble consideration, especially with Morris coming off the books this summer. Another team that would really love to have him is Dallas, who really could use some leadership on the back end after losing Zubov last year. It could mean a playoff run to them and solidify the transition in their team defense with Niskanen and Grossman growing into their positions a bit more. It also makes for a nice setup for Souray being close to Cali. One of Jamie Benn or James Neal would be a nice addition to the Oilers. (or Grossman/Robidas on the back end)

Last edited by hemskysuncle: 01-25-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling error
hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:13 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
I would wash Tambellini's feet for a year if he could get rid of Horcoff and Moreau. If there is any truth to the list of players to be moved and the list of players he is not moving then that is fairly encouraging imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I love Visnovsky, both personality and playing wise, he's probably the best, most consistent player on the Oilers, but if the opportunity to trade him arises, they shouldn't even blink. Would be crazy if Beantown somehow managed to get him, even though they're right up against the cap. Slovakian Olympic pairing of Chara-Visnovsky would be a beauty for them and a sight to behold. From an Oiler perspective though, you'd have to think he's their most valuable asset outside of Hemsky, a guy who does have a big contract but IMO is worth every penny and there should be takers, they could definitely get some solid value back for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Goudie View Post
Shopping six players isn't a rebuild, it's a prelude to a second tanked season in a row. Hey Franky Musil's son David should be a high pick in 2011, he grew up in Edmonton too!
Yeah I'm actually excited about this kid. Although I heard next year's draft is supposed to be significantly weaker than from those in recent years, Musil is definitely a kid the Oilers should be looking at. Although everyone recognizes the fact Edmonton is desperate for blue chip offensive talent, a forward or two they can build around for the future... I'd argue they are just as desperate for defensive talent. A few years ago the organizational depth at this position was thought to be pretty strong, now it looks just plain awful. Not 1 legit first pairing guy outside of maybe Jeff Petry. As good as guys like Tom Gilbert and Grebeshkov may be, the team still bleeds goals against and it shows. They badly need a #1 D-man who can be that franchise anchor. Don't know if Musil has that kind of potential but from what I heard he's pretty damn good.

Last edited by Philly85: 01-25-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote