HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Press Release: Check this out...

Old
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
MerryJ99

vCash: 500
Two of those players have NMC and one a NTC so it will be a bit tougher to move them as well will it not.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Shane Goudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I love Visnovsky, both personality and playing wise, he's probably the best, most consistent player on the Oilers, but if the opportunity to trade him arises, they shouldn't even blink. Would be crazy if Beantown somehow managed to get him, even though they're right up against the cap. Slovakian Olympic pairing of Chara-Visnovsky would be a beauty for them and a sight to behold. From an Oiler perspective though, you'd have to think he's their most valuable asset outside of Hemsky, a guy who does have a big contract but IMO is worth every penny and there should be takers, they could definitely get some solid value back for him.

Yeah I'm actually excited about this kid. Although I heard next year's draft is supposed to be significantly weaker than from those in recent years, Musil is definitely a kid the Oilers should be looking at. Although everyone recognizes the fact Edmonton is desperate for blue chip offensive talent, a forward or two they can build around for the future... I'd argue they are just as desperate for defensive talent. A few years ago the organizational depth at this position was thought to be pretty strong, now it looks just plain awful. Not 1 legit first pairing guy outside of maybe Jeff Petry. As good as guys like Tom Gilbert and Grebeshkov may be, the team still bleeds goals against and it shows. They badly need a #1 D-man who can be that franchise anchor. Don't know if Musil has that kind of potential but from what I heard he's pretty damn good.
This is true. The crop of 1993 born players is weak, certainly nothing worth tanking for. The beauty of David Musil is that he isn't going to be a sexy draft pick . . . only to the Oilers given his ties to the organization and city and the fact that Edmonton could use a solid shut down guy in their system. He should be able to slip to 15 or so where the Oilers will be drafting next year

Shane Goudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:34 AM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
Two of those players have NMC and one a NTC so it will be a bit tougher to move them as well will it not.
If Tambo manages to trade Horcoff then he should nominated for GM of the year.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Giant Moo

I don't think you need to beg Horcoff to waive his NMC to move him. Just tell him to waive it. If he says no, tell him it will be leaked through the press that he didn't want to be traded and wants to remain part of the leadership group, and it will only take a few days until everyone not named Moreau and Staios turn on him.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Take out Lubo and add Sully and I am happy with the list. I REALLY don't want to see Lubo gone, but unfortunately he will probably be the easiest to move.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I don't think you need to beg Horcoff to waive his NMC to move him. Just tell him to waive it. If he says no, tell him it will be leaked through the press that he didn't want to be traded and wants to remain part of the leadership group, and it will only take a few days until everyone not named Moreau and Staios turn on him.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I don't suppose that the team would have even allowed this type of media speculation if were completely untrue. I'd venture Horcoff is a consumate professional and knows exactly what is going on around him. I would find it hard to believe that he would ever overtly attempt to sabotage the Oiler's efforts to improve themselves, or change their culture. IMO, the only way Horc gets moved is by dollar for dollar with another 'player' who's woefully underachieving and might really benefit with a change of scenery.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
If Tambo manages to trade Horcoff then he should nominated for GM of the year.
only by HF board members

for me, if he miraculously made Khabi's contract disappear, traded Horcoff, Moreau and Souray > then you'd have a much stronger case...

Old
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Tyrolean

No one wants our bad players. We won't trade the players other want so what's the use? Lowe set the team back 5 years with his bad signings. He should be fired immediately.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
I don't suppose that the team would have even allowed this type of media speculation if were completely untrue. I'd venture Horcoff is a consumate professional and knows exactly what is going on around him. I would find it hard to believe that he would ever overtly attempt to sabotage the Oiler's efforts to improve themselves, or change their culture. IMO, the only way Horc gets moved is by dollar for dollar with another 'player' who's woefully underachieving and might really benefit with a change of scenery.
If Horcoff feels he's entitled to do whatever he wants, he could put up a fight. But it would be a losing battle.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
If Horcoff feels he's entitled to do whatever he wants, he could put up a fight. But it would be a losing battle.
No more Comrie games. Just send him to Springfield if he refuses. It wouldnt take long for him to change his mind in that case.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No more Comrie games. Just send him to Springfield if he refuses. It wouldnt take long for him to change his mind in that case.
Actually, letting him sit out might not be bad, since they could suspend him, and I don't think that counts against the cap. Then again, the NHLPA would freak if their favourite son was sent to the AHL. That might be worth it just to see.

Old
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Goudie View Post
Shopping six players isn't a rebuild, it's a prelude to a second tanked season in a row. Hey Franky Musil's son David should be a high pick in 2011, he grew up in Edmonton too!
Adam Larsson is 11 too. Either of those kids on our D would be fantastic for our rebuild

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
No shockers there as Penner really has become an untouchable with the Captaincy all but his for sure once Moreau goes.
Put up your hand if last year at this time you thought you would EVER see that post?

In all honesty, I dont see penner getting the C....nor will Hemsky.

Neither has the personality for it.

If Moreau gets moved, we will be lacking a good captain candidate.

1)Souray-Why assign him the captaincy when he is destined to move too.
2)Horcoff would be the only choice but his play has been so terrible it would be a PR disaster.
3)Vishnovski-See Souray
4)Staios- See Horcoff AND Souray
5)Hemsky-Wrong personality
6)Penner-Wrong personality
7)Gagner-Too soon
8)Pisani-See Souray

I could see us going with 3 A's until someone emerges as the team leader or until Horcoff rebounds or Vishnovski/Souray gets removed from the trade block.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
To all those who are having trouble with the thought of trading Visnovsky (and I have been one of them), you have to remember that we are rebuilding now, and when we get rebuilt he won't have anywhere near the production that he has now. We trade him now because his value won't be any higher as an Oiler and we will get a very nice return on him....even though the media for some reason is convincing themselves that just because some of these guys have a few extra years on there deals that they are unmovable. That is maybe the most ridiculous thing I've heard, the fact is there are only 2 unmovable contracts on this team (Horcoff and Khabibulin...and even with those 2 you MIGHT be able to dump them this summer).

I'm excited to see what Visnovsky fetches us and while I'm not a big Gilbert fan these days remember that he did play his best hockey when he was heavily leaned on in 08 with no Souray or Visnovsky around.
If Lubo is traded I want something BIG coming back. Like the Leafs' 1st pick...

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:13 PM
The Moose

HORCOFF NOT INTERESTED IN LOTTERY PICK, WANTS TO WIN GAMES

Quote:
While fans of the Edmonton Oilers debate the merits of finishing in a bottom-five lottery pick position versus doing something now to boost the fortunes of a team in 30th place, Shawn Horcoff can't get on board with the worse-is-better argument.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Hate the "we have pride" arguement. If they actually had any pride in their game, they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near 30th in the first place.

But of course, pride becomes the word of the day when you have nothing to play for and they look at the standings and go "oh ****, we suck!".

1st/2nd overall pick > player's egos in my book

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
I think I would have a heart attack if the Oilers actually had the balls to do this.

Quote:
Actually, letting him sit out might not be bad, since they could suspend him, and I don't think that counts against the cap. Then again, the NHLPA would freak if their favourite son was sent to the AHL. That might be worth it just to see.
Horcoff is NHLPA's favorite son? I don't know if that's such a compliment, considering how they have this tendancy to eat their own...

Old
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Horcoff's best move for the rest of the season is to shut his mouth. There's not a thing he can say to raise his stock with Oil Nation right now.

Old
01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
Horcoff is NHLPA's favorite son? I don't know if that's such a compliment, considering how they have this tendancy to eat their own...
He's one of the Big Cheeses. Finally something he can do "well" in the NHL that doesn't rely on on-ice performance.

Old
01-25-2010, 05:34 PM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
What? But he's leading the charge!

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
He's one of the Big Cheeses. Finally something he can do "well" in the NHL that doesn't rely on on-ice performance.
well, I hope for his sake that he's a Blue Cheese or a nice smelly Limburger so the others don't look at him with "hunger in their eyes" should he fail to walk the line...

Old
01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Horcoff's best move for the rest of the season is to shut his mouth. There's not a thing he can say to raise his stock with Oil Nation right now.
You do realize players can't say things that would hint at tanking. That's all Horcoff is doing.

01-25-2010, 06:12 PM
OttawaOilFan

How is Cogliano considered untouchable?

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Lubo for boston's 1st pick in draft + salary coming back

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Someone can confirm this, but I think a no movement clause also gives a player the right the refuse assignment to the minors. This is the difference between that and a no trade clause I believe. I was under the impression that Horc had a NTC. A NMC is even worse.

If Visnovsky or even Penner can be moved for a high pick/top prospect, it needs to be done in the case of Lubo and seriously considered for DP as well. The rebuild could be sped along greatly by amassing a big load of 1st rounders this year. If Chiarelli hits the panic button in Boston and that lottery pick of the Leafs could be had for Penner, I say do it.

The big advantage Tambo has right now is that there are still 27 teams with their eyes set on a playoff spot. Some of them might be willing to move their first rounder to bolster their current roster. Lets just take St. Louis as a hypothetical. They have enough young players and prospects right now that their 1st rounder is not likely untouchable. Maybe they'd be willing to deal it for Visnovsky and make themselves a better team now and going forward. That pick could end up anywhere from 5th-15th. Same situation with the Kings and Souray for example. And maybe with so many teams in the hunt, you can get a small bidding war going for bums like Staios. Maybe Steve or Ethan is suddenly worth a second round pick from the Islanders or Florida trying to make a push for the playoffs. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but who knows.

If Tambo could find a way to get us picking 6 or 7 times in the top 60 this year, or 3 or 4 in the first round, this rebuild is suddenly accelerated. And if Lubo and Penner are traded, you can pretty much bank on another lottery pick next year.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote