HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Press Release: Check this out...

Old
01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
I would do that for Wideman and the 1st from TO

not sure whatt widemans $ is like I believe its around 3.5 per year for a couple of years.

Lubo and Chara would be great PP combo.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

not sure whatt widemans $ is like I believe its around 3.5 per year for a couple of years.

Well, I'd rather take Morris than Wideman if Boston insisted on salary coming our way. Morris is a UFA at the end of the year (or so I've heard) so we can just let him walk. Wideman is pretty much useless to the Oilers. Just another version of Grebeshkov/Gilbert, though he could be traded for somebody else I suppose.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Good Lord Horcoff is an idiot.

Sure he can have those opinion - keep it to yourself though, y'know?

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

Does anyone know what the question was. Horcoff was in a lose-lose here. He would have been criticized no matter what he said. What if the media asked him about the lottery. Do you really think players are going to answer a question like that honestly? I sure don't.

01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

My dream is they would do Souray for Wideman and the 1st from TO. that would be awesome.

I really hope we keep lubo, Even if we get a great return, I don't care. I like watching him to much.

I don't think Horc is moveable, I just hope Souray, moreau, Stios are all gone.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
One Trick Pony*

If anybody, I'd be looking at Sean Couturier in 2011, kid's looking like a certified stud.

Penner-Hall-Eberle
Couturier-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Lander-Stone
Potulny-Horcoff-Brule

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
If anybody, I'd be looking at Sean Couturier in 2011, kid's looking like a certified stud.

Penner-Hall-Eberle
Couturier-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Lander-Stone
Potulny-Horcoff-Brule
I saw him play once on sportsnet. He's alright.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Penner-Hall-Eberle
Couturier-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Lander-Stone
Potulny-Horcoff-Brule
One tank at a time. WE hardly even have Hall yet.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:

Penner-Hall-Eberle
Couturier-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Lander-Stone
Potulny-Horcoff-Brule
I just find it amazing that 1st and 2nd year players are so effortlessly slotted into the top 6... top 9...

I'd personally like to see some real player development compliment this rebuild.

Let's not squash players before their time.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:16 PM
hfboardsuser

Some great quotes from the Horc article that I'm surprised have been glossed over:

"I'm going to show up to the rink every day and do the job that's given to me"- Like lead the tank!

"I think in the last couple of games, our line has done a pretty good job and given us a chance to win."- ORLY? Horc: 0 pts, -1, 6 PIM, 2 SOG. I understand he's probably saying this in context of being a shutdown line but boy.

'Certainly, Shawn has shown the ability to put the puck in from time to time in his career. We want that to come back for him."- Pat Quinn backhanded compliment special.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
surshot*

Horcoff needs to take his 7 mill and insure that this team gets either Hall or Seguin. Its a little to late to worry about your pride. But lets face it whats the guy supposedly gonna say to the media. UM yeah we plan on losing the rest of the games in order to draft Taylor Hall. Actions speak louder then words and his actions really show a guy not trying to win games.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
sweetcrude

Quote:
...six notable players...
Hmm, I only read three...

sweetcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Pourinthecoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Hey what the heck, he's not going to say he's gonna tank for the picks - this is just what we want guys, the team can't win a game to save their lives so might as well keep with that - it's worked well so far.

Whatever, whether we get the pick or not we won't know until the 82nd game but either way we should be in that top three somewhere unless the hockey Gods hate Edmonton fan's that much that we win the last 10 games to finish in 11th in the West again. Turn that heat up at the end of the year for nothing, sounds familiar.

Pourinthecoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 09:54 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourinthecoal View Post
Hey what the heck, he's not going to say he's gonna tank for the picks - this is just what we want guys, the team can't win a game to save their lives so might as well keep with that - it's worked well so far.

Whatever, whether we get the pick or not we won't know until the 82nd game but either way we should be in that top three somewhere unless the hockey Gods hate Edmonton fan's that much that we win the last 10 games to finish in 11th in the West again. Turn that heat up at the end of the year for nothing, sounds familiar.
But guess what?! HORC IS MINUS 23!!! Don't think the 'shutdown role' fits Horcoff either. WHAT A COLLOSAL WASTE OF MONEY. This contract makes the Oilers look as bad as Horcoff's face

This comment by a fan made me .

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Musicman798

vCash: 50
I really like the names on the list of players that management has had offers for but refuses to trade. I think that put in the right position Cogliano could be a great player for this team. Given better linemates and the support he needs he should easily be able to fill the #2C spot

Musicman798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:

Penner-Hall-Eberle
Couturier-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Lander-Stone
Potulny-Horcoff-Brule
No Omark, VV, Nash or Hartikainen in 3 years?

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I really hope they don't trade Lubo, unless the offer is one you can't refuse. TOR's 1st and a salary dump like Ryder (cap considerations) I would do, or maybe TOR's 1st, Wideman and whomever to even out the salaries, but it would have to be something fantastic like that for me to happy with moving him.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
No shockers there as Penner really has become an untouchable with the Captaincy all but his for sure once Moreau goes.
Penner captain?

ok thatll be the day.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:40 PM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Penner captain?

ok thatll be the day.
haha no ****. I hope they trade the bum personally. Get him the hell away from this team. The guy is a waste of talent. He will never be a captain on any NHL team.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
ThePresent83

We wont be able to drop ALL our vets this year... one of the remaining ones will captain the team next year. Staios would be my bet if hes around.

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:13 AM
s7ark

The only two I really want gone, as I'm sure all are sick of me saying, are Moreau and Staios. Moreau because he is a horrible captain, and Staios because 2.7M is about 2M too much to be paying for a 6th D-man. Nilsson I think may still turn into a player so I can go either way with him leaving, Lubo and Souray I ok with moving if the price is sufficiently high, and someone taking Horcoff off of our hands is a pipe dream.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:20 AM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The only two I really want gone, as I'm sure all are sick of me saying, are Moreau and Staios. Moreau because he is a horrible captain, and Staios because 2.7M is about 2M too much to be paying for a 6th D-man. Nilsson I think may still turn into a player so I can go either way with him leaving, Lubo and Souray I ok with moving if the price is sufficiently high, and someone taking Horcoff off of our hands is a pipe dream.
That is pretty much my list of guys who will be available. I would entertain a deal around o'Sullivan too. Nilsson needs to go too.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Someone can confirm this, but I think a no movement clause also gives a player the right the refuse assignment to the minors. This is the difference between that and a no trade clause I believe. I was under the impression that Horc had a NTC. A NMC is even worse.

If Visnovsky or even Penner can be moved for a high pick/top prospect, it needs to be done in the case of Lubo and seriously considered for DP as well. The rebuild could be sped along greatly by amassing a big load of 1st rounders this year. If Chiarelli hits the panic button in Boston and that lottery pick of the Leafs could be had for Penner, I say do it.

The big advantage Tambo has right now is that there are still 27 teams with their eyes set on a playoff spot. Some of them might be willing to move their first rounder to bolster their current roster. Lets just take St. Louis as a hypothetical. They have enough young players and prospects right now that their 1st rounder is not likely untouchable. Maybe they'd be willing to deal it for Visnovsky and make themselves a better team now and going forward. That pick could end up anywhere from 5th-15th. Same situation with the Kings and Souray for example. And maybe with so many teams in the hunt, you can get a small bidding war going for bums like Staios. Maybe Steve or Ethan is suddenly worth a second round pick from the Islanders or Florida trying to make a push for the playoffs. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but who knows.

If Tambo could find a way to get us picking 6 or 7 times in the top 60 this year, or 3 or 4 in the first round, this rebuild is suddenly accelerated. And if Lubo and Penner are traded, you can pretty much bank on another lottery pick next year.
Firstly, you are right that a NMC means that a player cannot be sent to the minors or waived without his permission.

But I completely disagree with the premise of the remainder of your post. Just getting a bunch of draft picks does not speed up a rebuild. In fact, the opposite is true. You have to go back to 2003 to find more than one or two players per draft picked after the top five that are impact players right now. It is likley five years plus before anyone in this draft picked outside of the top five could make anywhere near the contribution of a guy like Visnovsky. Assuming Penner is for real, and I sure hope he is, a similar statement could be made about him.

If the Oilers could get a second pick in the top three I would be more on board. Even the top five might interest me. But to trade away players that are playing too or outplaying their deals for draft choices is much more likely to perpetuate the team's current situation than it is to speed up the rebuild. Why not keep most of what is working. Perhaps deal a guy like Souray who may well have one foot out the door, make a strategic move here or there, but concentrate most of your effort on shedding individuals who are not earning their keep.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-26-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

We're actually going to call players on the team an idiots for coming out and saying they want the team to win?

Wow.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Belcriss
Welcome back Ryan!!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
I add Penner to that list. His numbers are bloated, and what has he really done lately? Right now his stock is probably as high as it will ever get.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote