HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cormier suspended remainder of regular season + playoffs

Old
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
RHilla619

vCash: 500
Definitely deserved this punishment..it was a blantently malicious hit, that could have injured this player alot more than it did..hopefully he gets straightened out once he joins up with lowell/trenton

RHilla619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Expected. Next stop = Trenton?

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
real life bash brothers?

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
It's possible, I suppose, if the AHL decides to honor the suspension.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
If you think the Montreal media is "the mainstream", you haven't been paying attention.

... Lou must do what is right for the Devils first and foremost, and that is not to punish Cormier further or cut him loose. If Lowell is still playing when Rouyn-Noranda's season ends, Cormier should be allowed to play. Either way it'll be a long suspension, the Huskies' season isn't over until at least mid-March.

First, you are correct. I really only see the Montreal media when they play the Bruins and I go to read what they have to say about their team at that moment. So I assumed that the Gazette is just like your regular, run-of-the-mill mid-size city paper.

Second, I believe there often comes a time in one's professional life where certain events call for behavior and responsibility beyond the day-to-day duties of the job. Serpico ratting out the corrupt cops comes to mind (OK, no, the Cormier attack on Tam does not rise to that, it's just a "for instance"). I think this is a time for Lou Lamoriello to step up and make a statement (or just quietly decided) not to play Cormier this season in the AHL.

Finally, I am sort of involved because I am also a Monarchs fan and ticket holder, and I would not chose to sit in an arena with him on the ice before 2011. Gosh, even drivers who test drunk get a year's suspension.

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post
I think your opinion is contemptible of hockey and of hockey fans in general.

Here is the "mainstream" opinion, which seems to me to be more in tune with acceptable social norms as well as with hockey sporting ethics:

Lamoriello, who watched the video and thought the hit was no big deal.
Lamoriello went further, "I certainly have spoken to Patrice, only because of the rhetoric," Lamoriello said. "I asked him how he felt because of the rhetoric.

"There is no issue from my end of it." Rhetoric? Here's another word for Lamoriello: disgraceful. That's what his comments were. They should also be an embarrassment to the Hockey Hall of Fame, which inducted Lamoriello this year.

--- Stu Cowan, The Montreal Gazette, January 24, 2010
This guy should really understand the implication before he writes comments that are wrong.

The "Rhetoric" was implying that it was Cormier vs the world, with talks of criminal charges. Lou just wanted to call the kid and let him know that someone actually cares about him and he's not alone.

That is EXACTLY why Lou is in the Hall of Fame. He actually cares about his players, it's not just all business to him.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
No it's on par with what the CHL has been doing.
Correct. It's the same suspension Mike Liambas got for his hit on Ben Fanelli.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
EVERYONE misunderstood/misinterpreted Lou's comments and I wish those PEOPLE that did so, would eat some freakin' crow!

And YES..YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT!! I'm sure he'll be lurking around here at some point today.
It's poor journalism that caused the misinterpretation.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Patrice Cormier hates puppies.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Truthfully, the people who blew it were Chere and Gulitti, for putting the comments out there without the proper context.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
This guy should really understand the implication before he writes comments that are wrong.

The "Rhetoric" was implying that it was Cormier vs the world, with talks of criminal charges. Lou just wanted to call the kid and let him know that someone actually cares about him and he's not alone.

That is EXACTLY why Lou is in the Hall of Fame. He actually cares about his players, it's not just all business to him.
I understand that perfectly well. Calling me "this guy" does not make me stupid.

Any leader, including the CEO's of professional hockey teams, understands, or should, that what they say professionally reverberate across many audiences. The only types of individuals who do not recognize this are folks like Al Sharpton, i.e.who have a very defined constituency that they can play to with no concern for the ramifications of what they say.

When Lamoriello speaks, he also does so for the NHL and other owners, and that's how his remarks were interpreted in situtations like the Cormier attack. I think I can say that practically everyone who writes about hockey for a living felt that Lamoriello's comments were callous and provincial given the circumstances.

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
BurgerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Truthfully, the people who blew it were Chere and Gulitti, for putting the comments out there without the proper context.
When I first read Gulitti's article on this I felt it was perfectly clear what he meant.
I don't know how people could believe that's what he meant. Obviously it was deserving of a heavy suspension. It makes me wonder if some people print this stuff to just fan the flames of outrage over this incident.

BurgerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
PourSomeMcDavidOnMe

vCash: 461
This just in - NBC changes it's mind and now Cormier is taking over The Tonight Show.

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
I understand that perfectly well. Calling me "this guy" does not make me stupid.
My apologies, not what I was implying. The sign off on the post was a little confusing, wasn't sure if you were pulling bits from an article or if those were your comments.

The article from TG where Lou made that comment went into further depth explaining what Lou was implying by "Rhetoric"

You could take that out of context and build a case for it to mean anything.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:

Any leader, including the CEO's of professional hockey teams, understands, or should, that what they say professionally reverberate across many audiences. The only types of individuals who do not recognize this are folks like Al Sharpton, i.e.who have a very defined constituency that they can play to with no concern for the ramifications of what they say.

When Lamoriello speaks, he also does so for the NHL and other owners, and that's how his remarks were interpreted in situtations like the Cormier attack. I think I can say that practically everyone who writes about hockey for a living felt that Lamoriello's comments were callous and provincial given the circumstances.
Quote:
There were some who misinterpreted comments from Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello last week, claiming that Lamoriello said that Cormier should not be suspended at all and that there was nothing wrong with the hit. As I clarified last week, Lamoriello was responding to a question—which I asked—about whether Cormier should face criminal chargers and be suspended for the rest of the season.

Lamoriello clarified to me again this morning that he did not say that Cormier should not be suspended at all.

“I don’t condone or accept that hit at all,” Lamoriello told me this morning.

He still feels that Cormier should not face criminal charges, though.

“The courts should not get involved in these things unless it is a situation that is extreme,” he said.
From Tom Gulitti. The guy who took Lou's comments in the first place.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
BurgerTime

Those clowns at the MTL Gazette are all over this one. Taking shots at Lou and patting each other on the back.
It's funny because in the same issue as Stu Cowan's article Red Fisher commented on this as well. He didn't agree with Lou's stance but at least he understood he was only talking about the length of the suspension. I guess the other writers chose to ignore this.

BurgerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Actually, I think it's the STUPIDITY of the people who read it that caused the misinterpretation.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
You were wrong so you're blaming it on TG...Nice.

Lou said something, and TG wrote it down. He didn't tell you how to interpret it.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
TG should have clarified the statement in his original piece, but the rest of the hockey media ran a little bit too far with the out of context comments. Lou was unnecessarily libeled all over the press.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Lou is classless.

Cormier will eat your babies.

Tom Gulitti is a yellow journalist.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
PourSomeMcDavidOnMe

vCash: 461
Quote:
I think your opinion is contemptible of hockey and of hockey fans in general.

Here is the "mainstream" opinion, which seems to me to be more in tune with acceptable social norms as well as with hockey sporting ethics:

Lamoriello, who watched the video and thought the hit was no big deal.
Lamoriello went further, "I certainly have spoken to Patrice, only because of the rhetoric," Lamoriello said. "I asked him how he felt because of the rhetoric.

"There is no issue from my end of it." Rhetoric? Here's another word for Lamoriello: disgraceful. That's what his comments were. They should also be an embarrassment to the Hockey Hall of Fame, which inducted Lamoriello this year.

--- Stu Cowan, The Montreal Gazette, January 24, 2010
*jerking hand motion*

Montreal Gazette... a quarter note above the National Enquirer and just below TMZ I'm guessing.

Typical hack job of comments out of context. I read TG's quote of Lou and knew EXACTLY what he meant and it in no way was downplaying the seriousness of the hit or situation.

Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Let's just hope the learns from from this and moves on. Suspension is fine and have no problem with once his team season ends in juniors that he joins Lowell.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
It's pretty obvious that some people just aren't as smart as some of us when it comes to interpretations...

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm glad that most of the amateur psychiatrists are staying out of this thread now that Cormier has been punished.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Devils Dominion
Lou got me picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Actually, I think it's the STUPIDITY of the people who read it that caused the misinterpretation.

Bingo!

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote