HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

You guys read this about Kovalev in the newspaper today?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 05:58 AM
electric

vCash: 500
You guys read this about Kovalev in the newspaper today?

In the Journal de Montreal there's an article about how Kovalev's wife was giving birth while he was in Boston for game 7. He got a call at 7:30 the morning of the game to be informed that it was about to happen.

Man, can anyone really question his dedication to hockey after something like that?

And to think a few weeks ago some journalists were comparing him to Vladimir Malakhov

Old
04-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Mike The Wall

Incredible I read this morning in the subway. No let me hear somebody say he has no heart for the team

Old
04-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Guy LaFleur

It was mentioned during the broadcast on CBC. I think that was where I heard it, anyway. Might've been on TSN or Sportsnet's post-game coverage.

Really shows how much he likes this team, though. As if his play on the ice didn't.

It'll be a travesty if he's not resigned.

Old
04-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Zednikfan20

I am sure he is a little "sad" he missed the birth of his child, but Kovalev had a JOB to do, & something to prove, & he did it!

His wife understands, we understand, & one day his son will understand.

I didn't miss the birth of my 2 children, but I am not a hockey player making MILLIONS $$$.

Sometimes this is the price to pay for being a pro. hockey player.

KOVALEV RULES!!!

*Habs WILL sign him*

Old
04-22-2004, 07:57 AM
mcphee

Frankly, he did the right thing. I attended the birth of both of my children, and I'll tell you, it's no fun. First off, I found that my wife wasn't really laughing at my jokes and that the doctor and nurses had no interest in talking hockey. No TV,no comfortable chairs, some annoying whining, and often, I found my wife to be unreasonable and demanding. Added to the fact that I mistakenly cut some cord at about 6 inches, prompting them to make fun of me,[ to this day], and you can see why it's an experience to be avoided. Plus, it can be pretty gross. Good thinking Kovy.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:20 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Frankly, he did the right thing. I attended the birth of both of my children, and I'll tell you, it's no fun. First off, I found that my wife wasn't really laughing at my jokes and that the doctor and nurses had no interest in talking hockey. No TV,no comfortable chairs, some annoying whining, and often, I found my wife to be unreasonable and demanding. Added to the fact that I mistakenly cut some cord at about 6 inches, prompting them to make fun of me,[ to this day], and you can see why it's an experience to be avoided. Plus, it can be pretty gross. Good thinking Kovy.
It still was more fun for you than for your wife...

( I personally didn't have my husband with me (it wasn't allowed) and somewhat happy about that.)

Old
04-22-2004, 08:36 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
It still was more fun for you than for your wife...

( I personally didn't have my husband with me (it wasn't allowed) and somewhat happy about that.)
I trust you know I was joking. The truth is that I suspect my wife wishes I was somewhere else because I tend to talk sometimes when silence would be appreciated and I might have been a tad annoying.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Darkseeker

Send a message via ICQ to Darkseeker Send a message via MSN to Darkseeker
wouldnt you find it cool that on the day of your birth your father made the difference in a game 7 vs boston!!!

Old
04-22-2004, 10:06 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseeker
wouldnt you find it cool that on the day of your birth your father made the difference in a game 7 vs boston!!!
Hey, good point... I'm sure Kovy would of liked to be there, and I am sure his wife understands his job, if it had been a regular season game the team would of had him fly back to be with his wife... I think Kovy has more character than most of us really give him credit for... that being said, I would like to see him get re-signed by BG, and hopefully the price$$$$ wont be too high!

Old
04-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Darz

Kovalev isn't the first father to miss the birht of one of his children. During the playoffs I doubt one player would or be given permission to leave the team for that reason.

Going sort of off topic, I love what Kovalev has done with the habs in the playoffs, and really hope he resigns this summer with the habs, but is it just me or do you find it funny how the fans jump back on and off and on and off again, then on again the Kovalev bandwagon. Imo, when things are going well for Kovy, the fans love him TOO much, and when things aren't going quite as well, they hate him TOO much. This has to be one of the craziest hockey rollercoaster I have ever witnessed.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:18 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
...is it just me or do you find it funny how the fans jump back on and off and on and off again, then on again the Kovalev bandwagon.

It's not just you for sure. There was a time when the series was starting when all the anti-Kovalev threads would have to be merged into one enormous ball of hate.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
Kovalev isn't the first father to miss the birht of one of his children. During the playoffs I doubt one player would or be given permission to leave the team for that reason.

Going sort of off topic, I love what Kovalev has done with the habs in the playoffs, and really hope he resigns this summer with the habs, but is it just me or do you find it funny how the fans jump back on and off and on and off again, then on again the Kovalev bandwagon. Imo, when things are going well for Kovy, the fans love him TOO much, and when things aren't going quite as well, they hate him TOO much. This has to be one of the craziest hockey rollercoaster I have ever witnessed.
The bandwagon applies to Theodore, Perrault, Koivu, Ribs and a host of others on this team as well.

Well.. some exceptions would be Dackell, and Langdon.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
The bandwagon applies to Theodore, Perrault, Koivu, Ribs and a host of others on this team as well.
Agreed, but it doesn't seem to be to the same degree as Kovalev.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Habs

Quote:
Agreed, but it doesn't seem to be to the same degree as Kovalev.
True. If you come to Montreal with the word 'Goal Scorer' on your resume.. you are in for a fun ride.

I wonder what was on Audette's resume?

Old
04-22-2004, 11:01 AM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
True. If you come to Montreal with the word 'Goal Scorer' on your resume.. you are in for a fun ride.

I wonder what was on Audette's resume?

erm... DONALD?????

Old
04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
MissNY

I think this is the article:

Cinquième match contre les Bruins

Alex Kovalev a volontairement raté la naissance de son second fils

Après sa bévue pendant le 4e match de la série Canadien/Bruins, plusieurs partisans ont un peu douté du dévouement de l'attaquant du Canadien Alex Kovalev. Il a pourtant décidé de ne pas assister à la naissance de son deuxième fils pour participer au cinquième match de la série contre les Bruins.
La décision semble avoir été judicieuse puisqu'il a marqué ce soir-là, et contribué ainsi à l'élimination des Bruins.

L'entraîneur Claude Julien et le directeur général étaient les seules personnes «dans le secret». Kovalev leur avait demandé de taire la nouvelle, pour ne pas déconcentrer l'équipe.

Le capitaine Saku Koivu a souligné le geste, qui démontre, selon lui, à quel point Kovalev a les intérêts de l'équipe à coeur.

Could someone please translate?

Old
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseeker
From the article :

Alex Kovalev a fait un immense sacrifice pour son équipe. L'attaquant du Canadien a raté la naissance de son deuxième fils, Ivan, jeudi dernier, afin de prendre part au cinquième match de la série contre les Bruins de Boston.

So it's the fifth game. But anyway it's cool his father scored one goal in this game to help the Canadiens win this round.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Necrophile

TRANSLATION

Game 5 vs Bruins

Alex Kovalev voluntarily missed the birth of his 2nd child.

After his error in OT in game 4, many fans questioned Kovalev's dedication to the team. However, he had decided to miss the birth of his second son to participate in game 5. The decision seems to have been a wise one, as he scored on that night, thus helping to eliminate the Bruins.

Coach Claude Julien and the GM (Bob Gainey) were the only ones "in on the secret". Kovalev demanded that it be kept quiet, so as not to cause a distraction for the team.

Team captain Saku Koivu has praised this gesture, which - according to him - shows to what extent Kovalev has the team's interests at heart.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:35 AM
MissNY

Thanks for the translation!

I've been a Rangers fan since I was a little kid and have been a fan of Kovalev's since the '93-'94 season when they won the Cup. (He was AMAZING in that playoff series too.) Because he's had problems playing well in New York consistantly, people have criticized him for years for being a selfish player. This just proves how unselfish he really is. I'm really happy for him that he's playing so well in Montreal.

I'm very impressed with the whole team and how they support one another. (Hopefully the Rangers will one day learn how to do the same.) I'm also impressed with how passionate all of you are for your team. I really hope Montreal wins the cup this year.

Go Habs! Go Kovie!

Old
04-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Cariboux

For those who wants the article, it's in french @ cyberpresse :

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,653907.shtml

It says that it was before the 5th game and his wife told him that it's going to be correct and to stay in Boston with his team. He told the news only to CJ and BG and they have to promise to him that they would keep it secret because he don't want his teamates to loose their concentration with this event.

Great act by Kovy

Old
04-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Seems like he's got his priorities set

Just kidding though. This guy is amazing and deserves a lot of respect. Way to go Kovy!

Old
04-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Rivet wife also had a second child i think .. the day before game 7 .

Old
04-22-2004, 04:20 PM
MtlSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Thats funny....I totally agree even if you are kidding. The doctor kept telling me to give my wife oxygen and she punched me every time I tried, then I got into an argument with the doctor because I said he was being too rough. The next kid he remembered me and asked me to leave, much easier having a kid reading magazines in the lobby or playing hockey !!

*** GO HABS GO ***

Closed Thread