HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Roman Voloshenko

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Roman Voloshenko

Does anyone have any info on him. I know he have a very big frame standing at 6-6 and I know he have a great under-18 tournemant but around wich spot he should be draft and what kind of player is he?

Old
04-21-2004, 03:01 PM
DR. Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Does anyone have any info on him. I know he have a very big frame standing at 6-6 and I know he have a great under-18 tournemant but around wich spot he should be draft and what kind of player is he?
He is actually about 6'1/195. Look for him to get drafted anywhere from 18 to 25.

Old
04-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Blue Bullet
HFB Partner

He's been moving up lately and looks like he could go in the first round now. From what I've read he sounds like he plays like Luc Robitaille. Good hands in front of the net but questionable skating ability.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bullet
Good hands in front of the net but questionable skating ability.

That pretty much sums it up. Except that his hands are better than good.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Don't be fooled, his size allows him to do well at the under 18, when he gets to bigger compitition I bet he does nothing. He is a stay away pick.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Don't be fooled, his size allows him to do well at the under 18, when he gets to bigger compitition I bet he does nothing. He is a stay away pick.
Good point, but not necessarily true.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
Quote:
He is already doing well in the Upper League in Russia, playing against experienced players. Voloshenko style of play is more close to Northamerican than European. Gritty, powerful player, strong along the boards, good shot.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
He is already doing well in the Upper League in Russia, playing against experienced players. Voloshenko style of play is more close to Northamerican than European. Gritty, powerful player, strong along the boards, good shot.
What are his stats in the upperleague? I know that is a level below the superleague.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Lord

Quote:
What are his stats in the upperleague? I know that is a level below the superleague.
7+8 in 46 games
Not bad for guy playing mostly on the third line for rather mediocre team.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
7+8 in 46 games
Not bad for guy playing mostly on the third line for rather mediocre team.
I don't see these stats as overly impressive considering Evgeniy Tunik had 24 points in 42 games with Elemash Elektrostal last year. He has alot of size to boot at 6`4 200. He went in the 2nd round of last years draft.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I don't see these stats as overly impressive considering Evgeniy Tunik had 24 points in 42 games with Elemash Elektrostal last year. He has alot of size to boot at 6`4 200. He went in the 2nd round of last years draft.
This certainly isn't last years draft. And there were some rumblings that Tunik might have gone in the late 1st.

Either way you seem to have your mind quite made up on a guy that I can't imagine you've seen on TV and especially live very many times. Strange.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
This certainly isn't last years draft. And there were some rumblings that Tunik might have gone in the late 1st.

Either way you seem to have your mind quite made up on a guy that I can't imagine you've seen on TV and especially live very many times. Strange.
I have my mind up because he is a slow skater and not that big. The same reasons which held back Ribeiro. How many slow russians do you see in the NHL who are smallish.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I have my mind up because he is a slow skater and not that big. The same reasons which held back Ribeiro. How many slow russians do you see in the NHL who are smallish.
Ribeiro's height and weight in his draft year don't look all that comparable to Voloshenko's. Ribeiro was sub 6-0 and listed at around 150-160 lbs IIRC. How does that compare to 6'1, 195?

Old
04-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Slats432

Quote:
The difference I would say is that Ribiero was 170lbs soaking wet. 6'1, 195 isn't considered smallish now is it? Christ, I better start having my 10 year old start pumping iron now.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The difference I would say is that Ribiero was 170lbs soaking wet. 6'1, 195 isn't considered smallish now is it? Christ, I better start having my 10 year old start pumping iron now.
Well for a euro who can't skate all that well I consider that fairly small. He has to get strong as an ox if he wants to get near the NHL. I think one of Chicago's russian prospects has the same problem. Can't remember which one.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Pavel Vorobiev, thats who I was thinking of.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Lord

Quote:
I see that the first thing many guys are doing on the HF is stats comparision.
I am usually prefer to make conclusions on live perfomances.
Voloshenko doesn't have great size like Tunik, but his height and frame are good even for NHL standarts. 185 sm and 88 kg. And the main thing that Voloshenko is trying to use his size very often, while Tunik not. Roman's style of play is more close to Nothamerican.
BTW Tunik is two ears older, so lets wait for another season for Voloshenko in the Upperleague.
Sure, Voloshenko have some obvious bad sides in his play like average skating, but he is a sniper, who's capable to score a lot. And IMO he could even play on the 1-st line in the NHL, i think the 2-nd will be ok, while the ceiling for Tunik is 3-rd line.
Maybe late 1-st round, though I doubt really despite his strong perfomance on WC-18. I expect early 2-nd round.

Just my 2 cents.

Closed Thread