HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing your flex

Old
01-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Bluelineswinships

vCash: 500
Changing your flex

iv been using a 100flex for 4yrs now but have recently second guessed myself i feel like i am missing oout on alot of my shot as i dont think im geting full potential out of the stick im deciding to go with an 85flex now how much of a difference is this gonna effect my game

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:19 AM
BadHammy*

Depends, how big are you and what types of shots do you take?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:56 AM
wearethegreek

i just went from an intermediate 67 flex cut down about 4 inches to a 95 flex cut about 4 inches as well.

i felt the mechanics gained using the lower, more easily flexible stick were good to learn and then apply to the higher flex stick

i now shoot harder and can use my 95 sticks multiple flex points

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have the funds, it's a good idea to experiment. I personally think the best way to find your ideal flex is to go down until your shot suffers, then move back up. You'll also need some time to adjust to the lower flex as you learn to use the whip of the stick.

Personally I thought I learned to use the flex of the stick well when I went down to intermediate sticks, then moved back up to senior whip flex (75-80) and use that technique along with some muscle for harder shots.

Just keep in mind, Brett Hull used 65 flex sticks and Ovechkin uses 77 flex...no shame in using a low flex stick but you need to have the technique to pull it off (I'd say those two are among the best shooters in the last 20 years).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Pog Form

I'm about 6'2", 200, slim frame, but not in great shape. I don't have the strength needed to load a high-flex stick, so I've mostly used an 85, but I have a 3.5" plug in the end, so it's probably closer to a 75 or 77, I would guess. I tried playing a few weeks with a 95 (again with a plug, so closer to 85-87), but I just didn't have the power, so I dropped back down to the lower flex. I know it's difficult with the price of sticks, but it's really all about experimenting to find out what's best for you.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Joe Cole

I have always used a 100 flex since they started rating sticks that way. I consider myself a shooter.

I cut around 2 inches off the stick, so my flex is actually higher then 100.

Recently, I thought why not try a 85 flex. After 10 games, I can say that the biggest problem is adjusting my aim. I am a left hand shot, and with a 85 flex, I was shooting wide to the left until I adjusted.

I just do not find it natural to adjust for each shot.

Plus... I also found that the more the flex, the more variables you put into your shot. A lower flex is very sensitive to where you stick the ice on a slap shot, i.e. how far behind the puck does your stick hit the ice.

With a higher flex, my shot was much more consistent in both power and accuracy.

As well, the way the stick wiggles after even a backhand pass bugs me. It makes me feel like I have to "play" the stick to get it to do what I want.

But, everyone is different. Your mileage may vary.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
K-PAX*

hey bud i recently did the same thing you did going from a 100 to an 85 so far so good but its not a monster difference in my shot or nuthin

i dont take slap shots often i usually just snap it off asap so i figured 85 was prob the right choice

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Bluelineswinships

im 6ft 210 and like to drop bombs from the point but find myself pinching in and taking more snappers so i fgured that an 85 would be easier and quicker to load my shot up when im in close

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
K-PAX*

yea def man just make sure you dont break it on a back scratcher.

210 may be pushing it but im 205(same height) and i havent snapped it on a slapper yet

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

So many factors are invloved with this stuff, you are tall and weigh 210. The starting point is what you are using already which is a flex that is about half of your body weight.

This isn't a set rule but generally pretty accurate unless you specifically need something else for another reason like the previously mentioned shooting wristers and not using a slapper.

For myself I use a 100 flex even though I weight 240, I would like to try a 120 flex but hey ... try and buy one off the rack eh. Doesn't happen very often.

I'm wondering if my using a 100 flex is like you using an 87 flex? You are 210 lbs and I am 240 to 245 depending on how large my dump that morning was.

Someday I might find a 120-125 flex, I saw the bauer One95 for tall big gusy that did come as a 120 flex if I remember correctly but I did not buy one as the store it was in was overpriced. It also was about 5 inches longer than a normal stick for seniors.

Good luck anyway, I think you could handle an 87 flex without it breaking on you. My 100 is a lower than I need technically and it hasn't broken on me and i shoot slapper bombs with it. The wristers are also good and the snapshots are absolutely fantastic with it.

Try out an 87 flex.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's a One85 stick that's really close to the One95 in performance that comes in 112 flex.

Old
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
BadHammy*

I'm 6'1, 193 and am realizing I can no longer use most 85 flex sticks. I have to adjust my technique to keep the same level of accuracy and velocity is the same as 100. I think people have gotten carried away with the "whippy stick is better" movement the last few years.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
FLYLine27
BUCH

I'm 5'9, 175, pretty good shape...i've always used a 100 flex. I have a extremely good wrist and slap shot with it so I would never go down to a 85 flex. But I am curious to see if it would get even better if I did....

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Hrad

I've been using a 87 most of my life, I went up recently to a 100 and didn't notice much of a difference...Although I did lose a bit of the "Kick" That I had in my wrist shot it's still great. Slapshots improved 100% though with the stiffer flex.

If I was to buy another stick I'd try a 75 Flex and see how those are

But 85 ish is the safest flex for me.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:06 PM
KingKlappers

I definitely cut my stick a bit shorter than what is considered a standard length (below my chin, around the middle of my neck), so a higher flex results in a quicker release for me. I was using 95-100 flex sticks and with the length I would cut my stick they were completely stiff. 65-70 is where I'm at now and it's PERFECT.

KingKlappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:24 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKlappers View Post
I definitely cut my stick a bit shorter than what is considered a standard length (below my chin, around the middle of my neck), so a higher flex results in a quicker release for me. I was using 95-100 flex sticks and with the length I would cut my stick they were completely stiff. 65-70 is where I'm at now and it's PERFECT.
How big/strong are you? I'm moderately strong for my size and 85's flex, torque and whip like a m*er when I take a slapper with them. It simply doesn't work unless I only want to use a stick a few times, enjoy being inaccurate and then plan to throw it away.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's a One85 stick that's really close to the One95 in performance that comes in 112 flex.
I think the one95 sticks I mentioned were this flex, I made a mistake with my info. Now that you mentioned 112 it stuck out with an 'oh yeah that's what it was i saw" and not what I had said.

Good call on that one. Where I would have cut it because it added more length than most senior sticks it would equate to a 120 flex for me. You know those lines they have on the butt end to tell you what the flex would be if you cut it there.

Thanks for inadvertantly correcting me on that. So yeah the One85 you mentioned is the same as the One95 for big strong tall guys who need that high flex rating.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:54 AM
KingKlappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
How big/strong are you? I'm moderately strong for my size and 85's flex, torque and whip like a m*er when I take a slapper with them. It simply doesn't work unless I only want to use a stick a few times, enjoy being inaccurate and then plan to throw it away.
I hear ya man. I'm fairly short at 5'8" and with the amount I cut off my stick to get it at the preferred height, stiffens it right up. For example, let's say I were to use a 90 flex - by the time I take off the desired amount it feels like its back up to 120-130 flex. Being a winger I utilize my snapshot more than anything and I love having that whip with a quick release. In terms of strength I'm very average so I can't say I have the strongest slapshot. So far so good and I haven't broken many sticks.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKlappers View Post
I hear ya man. I'm fairly short at 5'8" and with the amount I cut off my stick to get it at the preferred height, stiffens it right up. For example, let's say I were to use a 90 flex - by the time I take off the desired amount it feels like its back up to 120-130 flex. Being a winger I utilize my snapshot more than anything and I love having that whip with a quick release. In terms of strength I'm very average so I can't say I have the strongest slapshot. So far so good and I haven't broken many sticks.
Accuracy matters more than strength anyway. I've found the stiffer flex tends to be more accurate for me, to each his own because I've heard the opposite said as well.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
krax

I am 6'2'', 190lbs, 42Y.
I'm a good skater, like to set up plays, good on 1:1, I rarely shoot and I am not very aggressive.
Until a few weeks a go, I used flex 85/87 (Bauer XXX lite, TPS R2). Always thougt, that as a non-shooting guy, this was better for me.

Then I switched to 100 (RBK 5K 45KP, Blade P32). It didn't feel good at the beginning, especially as the new blade was much more open than what I had previously.

After 1 hour of adapting, my slapshot and especially one-timers improved dramatically. For snap-shots I had to adapt my technique (shoot more on the heel (open blade!), but the shot has become stronger. Wrist shots often end up too high (still adapting).

Flex is not the only factor, but I probably won't go back to 85.

k.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
I am 6'2'', 190lbs, 42Y.
I'm a good skater, like to set up plays, good on 1:1, I rarely shoot and I am not very aggressive.
Until a few weeks a go, I used flex 85/87 (Bauer XXX lite, TPS R2). Always thougt, that as a non-shooting guy, this was better for me.

Then I switched to 100 (RBK 5K 45KP, Blade P32). It didn't feel good at the beginning, especially as the new blade was much more open than what I had previously.

After 1 hour of adapting, my slapshot and especially one-timers improved dramatically. For snap-shots I had to adapt my technique (shoot more on the heel (open blade!), but the shot has become stronger. Wrist shots often end up too high (still adapting).

Flex is not the only factor, but I probably won't go back to 85.

k.
TPS is a 95 reg flex

Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
TPS is a 95 reg flex
I checked and you're right. It feels much flexier than the XXX Lite (which is a 87).

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
KingKlappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Accuracy matters more than strength anyway. I've found the stiffer flex tends to be more accurate for me, to each his own because I've heard the opposite said as well.
I definitely agree man. The less flex, the more likely you are to be accurate. Most of my shots are from close range - in around the hash marks and faceoff dots, so the quick release is key and accuracy isn't hindred too much from that close with a flexible shaft. If I'm playing the wing and taking shots from further outside I'll definitely switch to my Warrior, which has a bit less flex on it, I 100% agree with you there.

Old
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
noobman

I finally got a replacement for my old broken one-piece stick.

It's an 85 flex, down from 100. Unfortunately it'll be 3 weeks before I can let you know how it is!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me both too whippy and too stiff messed up my accuracy. Too much whip meant I leaned into the shots too much and they usually went high and wide. Too stiff and I couldn't bear into the shots at all and they usually fluttered too low. With pure wrist shots stiffer was better, but with snap and slap shots the "just right" flex had the best accuracy.