HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Marvelous Mr. Conkanen

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 07:03 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I think you have to go with Conkanen – they certainly were successful at the end this season and no other reasonable option looks obviously better to me (eg. Noronen, Garon, Biron, Lalime etc etc etc). Any of these guys could be better – but any of them could also be worse - and we would have to trade players/picks to obtain them. Conkanen’s salary also frees up more than $3 million over the failed Salo/Conks duo – and we can use that to sign a decent #1 center.
I agree with this part. I'm also of the opinion that Jussi is the better starter for the big games... maybe they split 50/50 in the regular season and Jussi gets the playoff starts. Biron's been okay in Buffalo, and many (including myself) have suggested Noronen for the Oil, but he hasn't stolen the job from Biron... so what does that say? There's a chance of another Kiprosoff out there, but I think the teams with the goaltending dilemmas aren't the teams that that have that player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
So I favor using Conkanen, getting JDD to Toronto ASAP, and drafting a goalie in the first round of the draft. However, unless we rate Schwarz or Montoya as a top 5 player and they are still available at #14 - we should wait until the Philly pick to select who every is left between Schwarz, Montoya or Dubnyk.
I disagree with the last part of this. I doubt that Montoya, Schwarz or Dubnyk will be ready any time soon, and its too early to tell if any of the three will be the best goalies to come out of the 2004 draft class. I say to grab the best skater available at #14.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I disagree with the last part of this. I doubt that Montoya, Schwarz or Dubnyk will be ready any time soon, and its too early to tell if any of the three will be the best goalies to come out of the 2004 draft class. I say to grab the best skater available at #14.
I would only use the #14 pick for a goalie if our scouts rate either Schwarz or Montoya as an elite player (top 5 overall) who only slips to us because they are a goalie. If niether of these guys is in that class - then yeah - it's dumb to draft a goalie that high.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:20 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Anybody think Nurminen could be had from the Thrashers with them having Hurme and Lehtonen? I think if a person offered them a Jason Smith they'd bight. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a Nurminen/Markanen duo!!!! Something like:
Conks, Smith
for
Nurminen, second
?

Old
04-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Anybody think Nurminen could be had from the Thrashers with them having Hurme and Lehtonen? I think if a person offered them a Jason Smith they'd bight. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a Nurminen/Markanen duo!!!! Something like:
Conks, Smith
for
Nurminen, second
?
Atlanta probably wants to dump Hurme not Nurminen - and I'm not sure that Nurminen is that much better than Conks or Jussi (his stats don't show it). I'd still go with Conkanen.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Oilers Hockey

I also think we should stick with Conkanen. They are two reliable goalies.

Except next time the Oilers have a big game, put in Jussi.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I dunno.... I'm just not as impressed with Conklin as some others are. Definately, to me, Jussi was our best goalie down the stretch, but MacT felt that Conklin deserved to play in all the big games... I dunno why. Atleast with Nurminen he's had some starting experience and has put up solid numbers as a starter.... but ya... what I posted as a deal was a huge over-payment now that I look at it.... it'd probably only take a second rounder to get Nurminen, and I know that Smith is worth more then that!

Closed Thread