HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Hockey News: Could Colorado take a run at Kovalchuk?

Old
01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

vCash: 500
The Hockey News: Could Colorado take a run at Kovalchuk?

The Hockey News Rory Boylen believes the Avs have the tools to
swing a trade a for Ilya Kovalchuk.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Kovalchuk.html

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
quesosauce

as long as the trade doesnt include duchene, stastny, o'reilly, or stewart, or anderson, then im probably ok with it

probably

EDIT: after reading this guys proposal, the only way we offer that package (wolski, o'reilly, stoa, and a FIRST? YIKES) is if we get a chance to sign kovy and he wants 8ish million or less other wise thats WAAY to much, wolski stoa and a 1st should be more than enuf

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
as long as the trade doesnt include duchene, stastny, o'reilly, or stewart, or anderson, then im probably ok with it

probably
Add Quincey to that. We can't lose our number 1 dman.

Oh, and I don't want to trade for Kovalchuk. Off-season signing or bust! Most teams in the west has less flexible cap space or less developed youth. Chicago can get Kovy but no way could they keep him. So Kovy is most likely staying in the East or going to KHL, which poses no threat to the Avs in the immediate future.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Hermaximus

I still feel that he Avs are in the rebuilding stage, and haven't reached that point where getting a rental of this caliber would be beneficial for the team.

I'd agree that they probably have the assets to swing the trade, but I'd prefer if they continued doing what they are doing, and worry about letting the young guys continue to grow.

Hermaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:54 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post

probably
As long as it also doesnt include any of Quincy, Wolski, Liles, Cumiskey, Wilson, Galiardi, Jones, Yip, Shattenkirk, Gaunce, Cohen, Holos, either then I'm happy.

Budaj Stoa and Mercier are about all I'd want Sherman to trade.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
As long as it also doesnt include any of Quincy, Wolski, Liles, Cumiskey, Wilson, Galiardi, Jones, Yip, Shattenkirk, Gaunce, Cohen, Holos, either then I'm happy.

This is rich.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
This is rich.
Dont want Kovalchuk. Not even as a UFA signing.

Old
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Yeah, who would ever want that guy?

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
colorado

svatos
stoa
liles
1st round pick'10

for

kovalchuk
valabik
3rd round pick'10
People expected Kovalchuk returns to Altanta very much... I really doubt. Will be something simillar to Hossa deal... But this is very bad. Svatos is absolutely useless player. Stoa is struggling prospect... I don't think Atlanta need Liles.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM
chet1926

Quote:
So you're saying you don't wan't 30g and 26a in 45gp added to the Avs roster.

Kovy would instantly aid our mediocre PP, he would give us a top tier player that could take some of the pressure of Stastny and Duchene...etc. There are so many positives to adding a player of this caliber to your team, thats why so many teams want to add him.

As long as it didn't cost us any of Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Stewart, Anderson or Quincey it would be fine with me if we acquired Kovy.

They can have anyone else in my opinion including any prospect that includes Shattenkirk and any pick they want.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Barney Gumble

Could they afford to re-sign him though? I know they have the cap space but is their current ownership willing to pay him what he's looking for?

Avs "window of opportunity" isn't a short run so getting him from a "rental point of view" doesn't make sense. They're in no danger of missing the playoffs this season.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
People expected Kovalchuk returns to Altanta very much... I really doubt. Will be something simillar to Hossa deal... But this is very bad. Svatos is absolutely useless player. Stoa is struggling prospect... I don't think Atlanta need Liles.
I would agree with that statement at the beginning of the season, but the last 2 months he has been good. Currently in his first year of pro hockey in the AHL he has 18g and 9a, and has had the opportunity to play in the NHL a little when the Avs have had some injury problems, I think he is well on his way to developing nicely.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Could they afford to re-sign him though? I know they have the cap space but is their current ownership willing to pay him what he's looking for?

Avs "window of opportunity" isn't a short run so getting him from a "rental point of view" doesn't make sense. They're in no danger of missing the playoffs this season.
I'm not worried that the owner would be willing to pay to the cap. This is the only year where they cut cost and only because the management expected us to be at the bottom. That said, Kovy is not getting 11 mill from any team in the league. 8.7mill is the max he would get from me in the off-season. If he was willing to re-sign for 8mill or less immediately, Wolski could be included the trade. The Avs are in no hurry to make a trade, so unless its the perfect deal, its best to stick with what we have.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:18 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
So you're saying you don't wan't 30g and 26a in 45gp added to the Avs roster.

Kovy would instantly aid our mediocre PP, he would give us a top tier player that could take some of the pressure of Stastny and Duchene...etc. There are so many positives to adding a player of this caliber to your team, thats why so many teams want to add him.

As long as it didn't cost us any of Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Stewart, Anderson or Quincey it would be fine with me if we acquired Kovy.

They can have anyone else in my opinion including any prospect that includes Shattenkirk and any pick they want.
Kovalchuk and the Avs would be a worse combination than Joe Sakic and snowblowers.

Actually I take back my statement about Kovalchuk as a UFA. If he comes at a reasonable price for a reasonable length I wouldnt complain. No 10 year front loaded contract or 8M a year though.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:

Kovalchuk is a rental, but get real. A rental who is top 5 at his position still commands a big return.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I would agree with that statement at the beginning of the season, but the last 2 months he has been good. Currently in his first year of pro hockey in the AHL he has 18g and 9a, and has had the opportunity to play in the NHL a little when the Avs have had some injury problems, I think he is well on his way to developing nicely.
Thank for the info. This is good for Stoa, he's very good prospect and i hope he will be good NHL-er. But i still doubt this is enough for Kovalchuk..

but you never know... Atlanta GM is joke.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Pure

Quote:
Kovalchuk and the Avs would be a worse combination than Joe Sakic and snowblowers.

Actually I take back my statement about Kovalchuk as a UFA. If he comes at a reasonable price for a reasonable length I wouldnt complain. No 10 year front loaded contract or 8M a year though.
8 mill is fair, anything less than 8 is a steal. I'd love to have Kovy at 8 mill for 6 years. I also wouldn't mind a 10 year front loaded if the cap hit is significantly less than 8 (Hossa got 5.5, Kovy for 6.5 is fair).

Old
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Thank for the info. This is good for Stoa, he's very good prospect and i hope he will be good NHL-er. But i still doubt this is enough for Kovalchuk..

but you never know... Atlanta GM is joke.
Oh its most likely not enough, but its as much as a lot of Avs fans are willing to pay at the deadline. We all want Kovy, but given the team's current direction, adding Kovy is a luxury not a necessity.

For fair contracts I'd be willing to send a player like Wolski. If Kovy continues to demand 11, hes a rental pure and simple. We're not going to blow our cap space (to resign Duchene and co later) for one player. For a rental, the Avs will underpay/send crap offers compared to the contenders.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I'm not worried that the owner would be willing to pay to the cap. This is the only year where they cut cost and only because the management expected us to be at the bottom.
Fair enough. I wasn't sure of the situation, hence my question. Don't be surprised though if some GM does offer him a deal closer to $11 million than $8 million if he does hit free agency. Never underestimate the ability of GM's to overpay.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Fluke

If the Avs actually trade valuable players for an unsigned Kovy I will be so rattled. The only way any Avs fan wants him is signed on free agency.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
8 mill is fair, anything less than 8 is a steal. I'd love to have Kovy at 8 mill for 6 years. I also wouldn't mind a 10 year front loaded if the cap hit is significantly less than 8 (Hossa got 5.5, Kovy for 6.5 is fair).
If I look at the blueprint I think the Avs should build towards I dont think it makes sense.

They need to be 3 deep at centre which they have, good goaltending which they have, they still need a legit #1 defender and a very good #2 and #3. No money to go throwing around at a winger.

Will Kovalchuk be just as effective when hes paired with Stastny? Will his numbers drop if hes asked to take much shorter shifts and play as hard defensively as he does offensively? Can he keep up his scoring pace in the playoffs? Can the team fit everything else they need to win under the cap if they have him? Those are all unknowns. If they traded for Kovalchuk, saw the answers to those questions and saw that he fits in then yes re-sign him in the summer like what happened with Bourque and Blake.

But I am not a fan of throwing big money at UFAs who may not gel with the team (too many numerous examples to go through). Despite how Kovalchuk produces I dont want to see an 8M contract or one of those front loaded 10 year contracts either.

Trading for Kovalchuk will be expensive and he may not fit in or he may not want to stay even if he does fit well.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Fair enough. I wasn't sure of the situation, hence my question. Don't be surprised though if some GM does offer him a deal closer to $11 million than $8 million if he does hit free agency. Never underestimate the ability of GM's to overpay.
If that happens, its probably a eastern gm. Although I can see Dallas taking a run a Kovy in the off-season, and they are my only real worry with Kovy. Even if they overpay for kovy, it makes up for it with guys like Benn on entry level deals, Robidas underpaid, Fistric underpaid, Turco sent into the Texas desert.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

The most Id give up would be 2 of Wolski, Liles, Jones with a pick and prospect. Even then I wouldn't want Kovy because I see a lot of drama when we tried to resign him. Safest bet is just to make a run at him during the offseason.

The Pwnerer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Jerky Leclerc

The Avalanche has a young coach and good young players. They are playing their hearts out like Chicago last year. Why would the Avs want to bring in a primadonna like Kovalchuk and ruin their lockerroom. Best for a young team to stay away.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan91 View Post
The Hockey News Rory Boylen believes the Avs have the tools to swing a trade a for Ilya Kovalchuk.
I suppose they do have the tools and Boylen is certainly happy that he found a subject for his weekly column. I can't wait for his next column about a package that Buffalo could offer to get Bryzgalov as Miller's backup.

jojo is offline   Reply With Quote