HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much are you willing to pay for cap space?

Old
01-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Axxion89

vCash: 500
How much are you willing to pay for cap space?

With the trade deadline coming up, I'm hoping we can dump off a few of our large contracts. I was reading an article (I'll try to find it and post the link) stating that the Maple Leafs might be interested in taking large contracts for prospects and draft picks, since they gave theirs away for Kessel.

So it begs the question; would you part with our 1st Round pick this year or next to get rid of Redden, Kotalik, Drury or possibly even part ways with prospects such as Sangs, McDonaugh, etc? We could clear enough cap space to sign Kovalchuck or even just have breathing room in the cap.

This is my first post btw so I don't know if this has been discussed

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
NYR Viper

I wouldnt. Moving a young player who we are hoping can replace those overpaid veterans makes the cycle continue in the future. If Sather wants to get more cap space he can bury Redden and trade Kotalik and Rozsival. Drury isnt going anywhere with his NMC.

P.S. - Welcome to the madness of these boards!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Here's what we should pay: Nothing

Redden - Bury him
Drury - has NMC, can't do anything
Kotalik - Bury him/trade
Rosival - HAS TRADE VALUE since his contract is front loaded and he can play 20 minutes a night. Can be very valuable to a team struggling to meet the cap floor. He is an asset, not a liability. Look at his stats. He's +1 for the year, which means he's not a total failure. If he sucked big time and was letting goals in left and right he wouldn't have a positive +/-... not on this team.
Brashear - Maybe trade a late round pick to dump his cap hit on someone. But it's not enough to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
reckoner

i think the only player that i would trade away with a first rounder is redden because his contract is the longest.

drury's contract expires in two years, giving adequate time to develop prospects (like stepan, kreider, anisimov to an extent..).

rozsival's contract also expires in two years, and he's probably the most "tradeable" of the three big contracts, as he plays closest to his value and is only a cap-hit of 5M (compared to 6.5M and 7M).

on the other hand, redden's contract expires in four years, has played terrible this year, and is basically taking up a roster spot that should go to sanguinetti or someone else (UFA).

kotalik still has some value, not to mention his contract is shorter and not worth trading away a top-round draft pick.

brashear's contract is god awful, but again not worth trading away a 1-2 rounder.

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:46 AM
broadwayblue

I wouldn't pay anything. In due time all the contracts expire. Although I'd be in favor of demoting Redden to Hartford if we needed cap space.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:04 AM
morffin

I would do it if it meant moving Redden or Rosi...... we seem to be loaded with young d men ( building from the crease out )..would not trade away a prospect...thats what this org has been doing for most of my life and the main reason this franchise sucks year after year.

Would trade Wade and Rozi in a NY second if we can find a GM with the serious head injury required to take either one of those two ... we can throw in Girardi and a box of tampons too.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:13 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

would prefer to bury bad contracts in the minors, but if forced, I would only pay a 2nd rounder to move the Redden contract, a 3rd to move the Rosie contract and a 4th to move the Drury contract as each player carries some value to off-set the difference in pick

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
DontStepanMe

I would trade next years 1st round pick (supposedly weak draft class) to get rid of Redden. Or a second rounder this year and a mid prospect (Sauer, Weise) to get rid of him. His contract is absolutely murder on this team and it is for 4 more years.

I wouldn't want to pay to get rid of anybody else's contracts though.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
The Thomas J.*

I don't think trading Redden or Drury is an option. YoU bury Redden &u ride Drurys contract out. At least Drury gives you a solid checking center an PKer.

Roszival has vaule & Can be moved in the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

We don't need to dump drury to be a good team.

If redden was buried and rosival moved, that's 11.5 million in space right there. If that was used wisely we could easily build a cup contending team (big IF there).

Higgins is done after this year, 2.25 mil there, Kotalik can be dumped or buried, 3 mil there.

Staal needs to be resigned. Other then that, we can get a real 1st line center, and a good first pairing defenseman with the cap space freed to replace rosival, and then sign some second rate $1 mil / year players to fill the empty spaces (which isn't a downgrade, since those positions are being filled by players worth no more then a mil or so now anyway)

If those moves are made, then we're not really wasting much cap space..

1.4 mil wasted on brashear
drury's probably overpaid by 3 - 4 mil. (keep in mind that not ALL of his 7 million is a waste, he has some value)

Having 10% of your cap space being wasted on useless/overpaid players isn't too bad.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Axxion89

I should have clarified it in the title, but the only player I would dump would be Redden via trading a prospect/draft pick. Here is my opinion on the players eating our cap space:

Redden is just useless and a signing I did not like from day 1, especially at his price. I would dump him for 1st or mid level prospect + 2nd rounder because his long contract is just going to hold our team back

Drury was a good signing at the time and nobody could have seen his lack of production coming but he's not going anywhere

Rosival gets way too much hate from Ranger fans as he plays good. Sather decided to pay him 1.5 million more than his value but thats Sather being Sather. There are a lot of teams with way worse defensemen that get paid a lot more. He'll prolly be traded to a contender by the deadline or at least be shipped out during the offseason but I wouldn't be upset if he stayed

Kotalik was a waste of a signing as we should have resigned Zherdev (When he came crawling back) or used Grachev instead. he can be traded to a contender with a weak PP. Why we paid 3 million and a NMC for him I will never know.

Higgins is a good player who probably can't handle the pressure of playing in New York and/or is going through a major slump. A trade can benefit us and him

Everyone else on the team (including Lisin because I like the guy) should stay on the team and we should just play our rookies and young guys as much as possible to develop them and this offseason, if we can get Kovalchuck we sign him and leave our team as is. If not, we don't sign anybody and just let development take its course and hope our draft picks do work.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

You would give away a good prospect to dump redden?

That's stupid, he can be demoted to the minors for nothing.

The rangers do not have a shortage of money for payroll.

And kotalik has an NMC? I don't think he does... is there a source for that?

Old
01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Axxion89

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/0...otalik-has-ntc

The boards has a post on here about this also. I'm pretty sure, at least I hope, its a limited NMC where he can be traded to a select bunch of teams. Sather at his finest