HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University of Alberta Golden Bears to be featured on Hockey Day in Canada

Old
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
radiohouse

vCash: 500
University of Alberta Golden Bears to be featured on Hockey Day in Canada

The most successful men’s hockey program in the history of Canadian Interuniversity Sport, the University of Alberta Golden Bears, will be featured in a segment as part of the Canadian Broadcast Company’s (CBC) annual Hockey Day in Canada broadcast on January 30, 2010.

CBC’s annual Hockey Day in Canada celebrates Canada's fascination with and passion for hockey with a mammoth 13˝ hour broadcast, coast-to-coast, highlighted by an NHL triple-header featuring Canada's six teams. The day-long broadcast profiles the significance of hockey in communities across the country, with former NHLers and popular CBC personalities making guest appearances on the program. This year’s broadcast, the 10th in CBC history, will be done live from Stratford, Ontario beginning at 10:00 a.m. MST.

The University of Alberta Golden Bears hockey team, founded in 1908, has won a CIS record 13 University Cup trophies since the 1962-63 season, and has competed in a record 33 national championship tournaments, including a streak of 10 straight from 1997 to 2006 when they won four CIS banners. The Bears have also won 47 Canada West conference championships, and sent 13 players onto National Hockey League careers.

The Golden Bears program will be featured in a segment that explores what it means, and takes, to be a successful team. CBC national reporter Lynda Calvert spent time with former Golden Bear head coach Clare Drake, who’s 697 career wins puts him first place in CIS history, as well as current head coach Eric Thurston, winner of six national championships as a player and coach with Alberta, former player Rick Swan, who has 101 points in 81 career games with Alberta, and is now a Sergeant with the Edmonton Police Service, and current player Eric Hunter, the 2008 Canada West rookie of the year, and a 2006 New York Rangers draft choice (174 overall).

Alberta is currently 18-1-1 on the season, and occupies first place in the Canada West standings.

radiohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
eastcoasteh

Meh. UNB V-Reds is the better team (defending national champs)! And the Atlantic Conference is well known to be MUCH more competitive. We even are featuring ex-con Mike Danton, who's suiting up for St. Mary's this year!

Go V-Reds!

In all seriousness though, CIS hockey is getting to be pretty high level. There's a lot of elite level players going there now after their Jr. Careers.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
lopper

I have always enjoyed watching the intensity of a CIS hockey game. And for the cheap ticket prices its way more worthwhile to go to a Bears game right now than going to watch our "professional" club.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

go bears!

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I have always enjoyed watching the intensity of a CIS hockey game. And for the cheap ticket prices its way more worthwhile to go to a Bears game right now than going to watch our "professional" club.
If you're watching a game strictly from the Oilers perspective it is. Otherwise CIS hockey is probably better to watch than the AHL.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I can't wait to watch this

I'm still proud my dad was apart of the 1963-64 team that won the CIS

he always spoke very highly of Clare Drake

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
If you're watching a game strictly from the Oilers perspective it is. Otherwise CIS hockey is probably better to watch than the AHL.
I haven't watched much AHL hockey so i can't really comment on the entertainment value. But I'd say that skill level that the AHL is better than CIS.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Who's the Golden Bears? and Who's the UofA? Some chick? if so, what's they're phone number?

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
Meh. UNB V-Reds is the better team (defending national champs)! And the Atlantic Conference is well known to be MUCH more competitive. We even are featuring ex-con Mike Danton, who's suiting up for St. Mary's this year!

Go V-Reds!

In all seriousness though, CIS hockey is getting to be pretty high level. There's a lot of elite level players going there now after their Jr. Careers.
let me know when they reach 13 National Championship and 47 Conference Championships

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
dookers9

Beautiful. Kudos to Clare Drake and Thurston, but also to Rob Daum. Da Bears have been the CIS's version of the Detroit Red Wings of the past 2 decades, only more dominant for way longer. They just do everything right.

While at UofA, I made a point of attending often. Haven't been in ages now, but will have to get back again soon. It's too good of hockey to pass up.

Too bad that there'll be many in the country that will assume that the UofA is a second university of Calgary's. Pretty commonplace, I'm afraid.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Tyrolean

How does the CIS compare to the NCAA?

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
HopefulCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
How does the CIS compare to the NCAA?
The bears have travelled to the states to play NCAA teams a couple times. They have won a couple close ones and lost a couple close ones. All in all they were able to compete with them.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote