HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

State of the Board

Old
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
State of the Board

No, this is not a thread where I am stepping down as mod. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

I just thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback on this board; anything you've got to vent about or think can improve. I feel like this is the best place online to discuss the Canes, and even though we have a relatively small user base, the discussion is usually insightful (or if not at least funny) and respectful (well more often than not at least).

Obviously there's only so much power I have since this is just a sub section of a much larger site, but anything I can do to help improve the board and grow the user base, I'm all ears. Typically it's the successful times (see 2006) that see us gain a bunch of new users, then it falls off in times like these, so I'm not sure how much control can be had over that.

Anyway, umm, open thread I guess.

01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Can we ban all new threads on JMFJ and Anton Babchuk??

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Haha if it were my own personal little dream world, that would be the case, but I want to restrict things as little as possible (while still enforcing the rules that I'm required to). I can try to keep that stuff from spreading into threads all over the board as it tends to do, though.

I guess on this board I see things a little differently than I would if it were say the Habs board, for example. Since the activity level is fairly low and manageable here, I wouldn't want to stifle anything that sparks discussion, even if it is beating a dead horse.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I should be mod... That would make this board AWESOME...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Haha if it were my own personal little dream world, that would be the case, but I want to restrict things as little as possible (while still enforcing the rules that I'm required to). I can try to keep that stuff from spreading into threads all over the board as it tends to do, though.

I guess on this board I see things a little differently than I would if it were say the Habs board, for example. Since the activity level is fairly low and manageable here, I wouldn't want to stifle anything that sparks discussion, even if it is beating a dead horse.
Or...if a person doesn't like those threads..they could simply not click on them.

It is kind of like a car accident though. I know I shouldn't look as I am driving by..but just can't resist.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:07 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
DaveG for mod and RBC Center soundguy... just saying.

You have power on one of them, make it happen.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I should be mod... That would make this board AWESOME...
Only if HFBoards rule 17.1, section B, subsection 2, paragraph 3 comes into play. Then this board would be really AWESOME. Don't quote me, but I think it reads something like this:

"all new Mods to a board with SVT in their username are required to supply all members of said board with beer for a period of 1 month. Beer offer does not apply to users with under 100 posts. No other restrictions apply, do not void even if prohibited. The beer offer comes with no warranty expressly written or implied. Consumer agrees to hold MOD harmless of any problems from free beer offer (including but not limited to headaches, irritability, dizzyness)"

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

In that case, I hereby resign as moderator, and will immediately submit Hurricane_SVT's name for consideration as my replacement.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Old Uncle

How do you define the user base? Do you count visits or just posts? I lurk more than I post. I also don't live in the Triangle, so I need my HF and Canes fix at least once a day. I will occasionally throw in my 2 cents, but repetitive threads notwithstanding, keep up the good work.
And thanks to all you regulars even though I may not agree with you or think you are crazy.
I do have question though. If Dale is the Moderator for the Canes board, does that also make him the Hall monitor?

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Only if HFBoards rule 17.1, section B, subsection 2, paragraph 3 comes into play. Then this board would be really AWESOME. Don't quote me, but I think it reads something like this:

"all new Mods to a board with SVT in their username are required to supply all members of said board with beer for a period of 1 month. Beer offer does not apply to users with under 100 posts. No other restrictions apply, do not void even if prohibited. The beer offer comes with no warranty expressly written or implied. Consumer agrees to hold MOD harmless of any problems from free beer offer (including but not limited to headaches, irritability, dizzyness)"

Old
01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Just a question, am I allowed to be a mod with a current infraction for calling Bladerunner an idiot? Because although it's against the rules, it is accurate... That seems mitigating enough to allow me in!!!!!!!

Old
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 3777
Dale, I think you are doing a fabulous job... It's not like some boards, where you have to smile and say the correct thing even if it's not what you think, and yet it has a good amount of order. Also, like Old Uncle was saying, I come on and see what there is to see at least once a day. I might not add much, but it is a great source of information and discussion. Keep up the great work!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Just a question, am I allowed to be a mod with a current infraction for calling Bladerunner an idiot? Because although it's against the rules, it is accurate... That seems mitigating enough to allow me in!!!!!!!
are you a trigger happy cop? in other words, would you tell us about our rights before or after tazering us?

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

pfft, what rights

Old
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post

Yuengling or Sam Adams for me, thanks.

Quote:
Just a question, am I allowed to be a mod with a current infraction for calling Bladerunner an idiot?
I believe that automatically qualifies you for the position.

edit: Scratch that. Red Oak is now bottled.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Brooklyn Black Ops or bust.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
rainband

I lurk on this board for a few minutes every day. I think the signal to noise ratio here is higher than on most other teams' boards, and is *much* higher than on any other Hurricanes site. This is most certainly a good thing.

I would probably post more, but... I am a bit gun-shy, because of the level of "authority" (if not expertise) among the most frequent posters here, and the relatively small size of the primary group. The number of in-jokes and the vehemence with which bad posts are shredded makes me reluctant to stick my neck out. That, and I refuse to watch a hockey game with a computer on my lap.

rainband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainband View Post
I lurk on this board for a few minutes every day. I think the signal to noise ratio here is higher than on most other teams' boards, and is *much* higher than on any other Hurricanes site. This is most certainly a good thing.

I would probably post more, but... I am a bit gun-shy, because of the level of "authority" (if not expertise) among the most frequent posters here, and the relatively small size of the primary group. The number of in-jokes and the vehemence with which bad posts are shredded makes me reluctant to stick my neck out. That, and I refuse to watch a hockey game with a computer on my lap.
It's the only way to watch hockey, man! You're missing out.

I'll agree about some bad (and some not so bad) posts being shat on though. Fans here are, perhaps understandably, fairly defensive, I think.

Anyway, it's mostly all good. Although I just realized I'm missing a smiley in sunglasses. Oh well..

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:55 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Can we ban all new threads on JMFJ and Anton Babchuk??
No. In fact, I'd say that all threads should be required to have at least ten posts relating to JWTFJ and Babchuk.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, since it's a requirement...

9 goals, 21 points in 41 games. And since apparently more PIM means they're rough and gritty and physical, Babs has 30 PIM this year.

Oh, and Jack Johnson had a couple #1 albums.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

Oh, and Jack Johnson had a couple #1 albums.
If the Jonas brothers can do it, anyone can do it. It was a bad pick on JR's part, shoulda picked Marc Staal.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:41 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainband View Post

Definitely a couple who practice "board wars" and "board lording" but there are so few regulars, you know who they are usually. They go postal at the mere hint their opinions may be wrong. I think the watchwords here are - or should be - be prepared to defend your opinion and be prepared to "take it" if you dish it out too.

I'm not a big fan of laptop viewing either and unfortunately the availability of YT clips (and/or only stats) convince some that they are authorities on certain players who they've never actually watch in game action. But that's not just limited to here, it's an HF staple apparently. Maybe posters should be required to identify if they've actually seen someone play but that might cut into the post counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Well, since it's a requirement...

9 goals, 21 points in 41 games. And since apparently more PIM means they're rough and gritty and physical, Babs has 30 PIM this year.
The point was more PIM's that result from aggressive play are better than fewer PIM's that are due to passive play. The lazy category of penalties, like hooking, aren't part of that mix. Plus be careful with KHL stats because without context they could be used for a move to bring Vasicek back.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
[snip] Plus be careful with KHL stats because without context they could be used for a move to bring Vasicek back.
Code:
2009-10 	Yaroslavl Lokomotiv 	KHL 	49 	17 	25 	42 	52
He's got more points than Samsonov, Brind'Amour, Larose, Cole, and Walker combined. Let's bring him back.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
fyrestorm

Like OldUncle and rainband, I have been reading this section of the board for a while, even though I hadn't "officially" joined the forum. DC, I have absolutely no problems with the decorum you have maintained - it's actually refreshing to come to a forum where (reasonably) intelligent discussions are being held. Kudos to you DC, DaveG, SVT, ncpuckhog, cptjeff, dmonk, Caniac4ever, bleedgreen, anton, and whomever I may have overlooked (forgive me, can't keep up with everyone yet) - your insights have made being a 'Canes fan much more enjoyable. Can't say I always agree with each and everyone's posts, but it is great to be a member of a forum section where there is open dialogue, and no one is made to feel as though they are being attacked for their opinions.
Again, happy to be aboard, and looking forward to posting more as we work towards Hall or Saguin (go Edmonton! get yourselves a 10 game or so winning streak!!!)
Fyrestorm

fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
The point was more PIM's that result from aggressive play are better than fewer PIM's that are due to passive play. The lazy category of penalties, like hooking, aren't part of that mix. Plus be careful with KHL stats because without context they could be used for a move to bring Vasicek back.
The Condor? I'd love it.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote