HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

State of the Board

Old
01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
StormCast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The Condor? I'd love it.
I thought he got criticized unfairly. Sure, he was a big guy who didn't play physically - that was the endless cry on Canes message boards - but he was excellent on the cycle, maintaining possession of the puck, was decent defensively and thought the game well. All in all a decent 3rd line center but his KHL stats show how they don't relate at the NHL level.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

True, except Jumbo Joe showed he couldn't produce those kind of points in the NHL anymore and that's why bringing up his KHL numbers are flawed. Babs, for the past couple years, has put up the same amount of numbers, KHL and NHL.

52GP, 9 G, 15A, 24P
72GP, 16G, 19A, 35P
42GP, 9G, 12A, 21P

Not to get into another Babs argument, but it's kind of hard to claim the KHL is inflating his stats when he did the same thing in the NHL last season.

But I digress: The state of the board is fine. If anything needed to be changed, it needs more sarcasm. There's a severe lack of that here.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Oh god what has happened LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and welcome to the new people. It is kind of funny, because one of the most positive aspects of this board (the knowledge) can also be one of the most intimidating ones for new people. I felt the same way when I joined (and still do often lol).

01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
True, except Jumbo Joe showed he couldn't produce those kind of points in the NHL anymore and that's why bringing up his KHL numbers are flawed. Babs, for the past couple years, has put up the same amount of numbers, KHL and NHL.

52GP, 9 G, 15A, 24P
72GP, 16G, 19A, 35P
42GP, 9G, 12A, 21P

Not to get into another Babs argument, but it's kind of hard to claim the KHL is inflating his stats when he did the same thing in the NHL last season.

But I digress: The state of the board is fine. If anything needed to be changed, it needs more sarcasm. There's a severe lack of that here.
The state of the board apparently is that there is too much Babchuk on the brain where a great 25-game stretch overshadows an otherwise unremarkable NHL career.

Your logic is, shall we say, creative. So Vasicek's NHL production decreased but now that he is averaging almost a PPG in the KHL and will set pro career highs shows that the level of competition hasn't inflated his numbers? Fringe NHLers like Thoresen and Marcel Hossa are nearly putting up a PPG too. A washed-up guy like Stumpel, who hasn't sniffed a PPG pace in 10 years is also near a PPG pace. Ok then.

Old
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Well for what it's worth, I have been here about the longest of anybody that still frequently posts on this board... not just this board but HFboards all together, and I am frequently wrong, mistaken, or flat out opposed to considering some sides of some issues and those are pretty well publicized issues. The board is only as serious as you take it when it comes to criticism and as always, consider the source. I have apologized to folks I have offended in the past and will do again. The key is making sure that instead of a participant in the bashing, you offer a rational viewpoint and people will respect that regardless of whether they agree with you or not.....for the most part.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Brooklyn Black Ops or bust.
Sounds like someone's been hitting the Tyler's seasonal list with reckless abandon.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Sounds like someone's been hitting the Tyler's seasonal list with reckless abandon.
Good Guess

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Brooklyn Black Ops or bust.
Try some Old Rasputin and it can quickly become the Altered State of the Board.

Old
01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
canesnecu

This is an interesting thread. My 2cents if you care is that the knowledge here is good but its not intimidation that drives em away in flocks, its the arrogance and stubborness of the few here are that arent willing to let others have their say without bashing the poster and not the thought. You asked.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
and some poster who lurks here, then goes to other board to tell other board's mod about us "bushing" them and causing "troubles"...

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

but everybody likes me

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
and some poster who lurks here, then goes to other board to tell other board's mod about us "bushing" them and causing "troubles"...
wasnt me, I got ousted from there months ago. Thats a whole nother thread.

But now that you mention it, if people here didnt spend time bashing other people or boards, maybe people would stick around? Its not like most of us dont post on other canes boards too.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

I don't really like the official message board as much as I like this one.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
I don't really like the official message board as much as I like this one.
That place is so insidious that even most of the members that leaked to here from there have been problematic. Not saying all, but some.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

whatever happen to caniacgirl12... I don't think she liked me... So everyone else liked me

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

^CG12 is still around now and again. She's got much more important things to worry about right now, like a soon to be due baby boy.

Quote:
But now that you mention it, if people here didnt spend time bashing other people or boards, maybe people would stick around? Its not like most of us dont post on other canes boards too.
I don't really see this happening here that often, but it's still a fair point. After all, we are all on the same side!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I personally "bash" other boards when they become a cesspool of 99.9 callers, N&O frequent blog comment contributors, and folks that are so sentimentally attached to the players that they can't evaluate poor play. Where as some boards are still in flux in regards to Staal being promoted to Captain, this board was smart enough to see it coming and realize it was the right move on the whole. There are several boards out there that I endorse, but do not frequent.

I admire the passion of some boards, but couldn't be bothered to wade through the stream of bile to get to the actual content of the few reasonable posters. Plus, the moderation at a lot of those boards is just well off the mark. To the degree that any disparaging comment about the organization is viewed as blasphemy.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
canesnecu

just my observation but with the pathetic new boards the NHL went with, almost every other team on HF has benefited from the NHL sites exodus but this one. That right there should tell you everything you need to know.

If you dont like another board, so what dont go there. If it keeps gettiin brought up here over and over which it does, you just look like a bunch of troublemakers that got kicked out of the NHL boards cause thats the place you all bash. I can tell you I know several who were turned off here for that reaosn who luked when the boards got changed, and the constant bashing of new posters. Canes Country is thriving, you're loss.

My first posting on this board I got bashed by a certain member for using chat speak but Ive learned this member is pretty much hated by everyone. And the then mod tried running me off the board but we know how that worked out.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I personally "bash" other boards when they become a cesspool of 99.9 callers, N&O frequent blog comment contributors, and folks that are so sentimentally attached to the players that they can't evaluate poor play. Where as some boards are still in flux in regards to Staal being promoted to Captain, this board was smart enough to see it coming and realize it was the right move on the whole. There are several boards out there that I endorse, but do not frequent.
That is one thing I have noticed about the hockey smarts of these boards. We don't allow our emotions about our favorite players get to us (Not trying to sound elitist) but this leads to great conversations about the performance of our team.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
That is one thing I have noticed about the hockey smarts of these boards. We don't allow our emotions about our favorite players get to us (Not trying to sound elitist) but this leads to great conversations about the performance of our team.
cough babchuck cough

Old
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
And this right here sums it up nicely. No one else could probly be as smart as you guys here, even if one opinion doesnt make up the opinion of a whole board.

Elitest attitude are what your sending out there but I dont even think some you care cuz you right no matter what.

Dale, props to you for opening this up. You've been a good addition here but I think you need more help to keep the checks and balances. Most other boards here have multiple opinions running their boards but when your only modding the same small group of people, maybe it doesnt matter. But if your tryin to grow your members, I'd be making sure the vets I did have werent running all the newbies off with their "extreme smarts".

Old
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
cough babchuck cough
Not necessarily, I don't have any sort of attachment to babchuk but I believe bringing him back would benefit our team rather than harm. But that is just me. Though I agree that some people can't let the Babchuk situation go.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
That is true. People tend to get called on a lack of objectivity when they're being obtuse about it here. That is one of many qualities that makes this one of the best boards for posting objective thought.

This board has really had its ups and downs though. I remember when I first started posting here there were only a few guys posting. Jeffbear was essentially the resident authority. I haven't seen him around in forever, but that guy had a level head. Then the era of Macabre who was the first one to post regular GDT, even if they only yielded 7-10 posts with half being from out of town guys. That guy posted like a mad man and then disappeared. I remember asking Mark Fischel for a role as the first Hurricanes moderator, which at the time was a laughable assumption considering we'd get 10 posts per week if we were lucky, and he obliged. It shocks me how far he has gone from EIC here to being a head honcho at the NHL offices.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Try some Old Rasputin and it can quickly become the Altered State of the Board.
Oh yes, had that one last year, I need to find a bottle of this years release. Definitely one of my top 5 beers (Black Ops, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Old Rasputin, Foothills Sexual Chocolate, Aventinus Weizenstarkbier)

Old
01-28-2010, 02:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
And this right here sums it up nicely. No one else could probly be as smart as you guys here, even if one opinion doesnt make up the opinion of a whole board.

Elitest attitude are what your sending out there but I dont even think some you care cuz you right no matter what.

Dale, props to you for opening this up. You've been a good addition here but I think you need more help to keep the checks and balances. Most other boards here have multiple opinions running their boards but when your only modding the same small group of people, maybe it doesnt matter. But if your tryin to grow your members, I'd be making sure the vets I did have werent running all the newbies off with their "extreme smarts".
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I know I for one welcome differing opinions when people can back them up. Bleed, Dale and myself (and others, just thinking of the guys that have been here prettymuch forever) are pretty open with new posters even though it's safe to say neither Bleed or myself have any problem sticking to our guns. I hate to say it but it's when I see uninformed posts bashing players such as Joni while advocating AWardo (and let's not pretend they're not prevalent opinions on other boards) with little but opinion to back them up that agitates me.

Just as an example I've stuck my nose out here defending Joni as a #1 and, disagree with me or not, those that differed of opinion from me used facts or set a criteria of what exactly they define as a #1 defenseman in the NHL. At least for the most part.