HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

State of the Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
  #51
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
If people post stupid stuff, expect to get blasted on any board.. it's no different here than any other place. There's nothing elitist about that.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
  #52
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I know I for one welcome differing opinions when people can back them up. Bleed, Dale and myself (and others, just thinking of the guys that have been here prettymuch forever) are pretty open with new posters even though it's safe to say neither Bleed or myself have any problem sticking to our guns. I hate to say it but it's when I see uninformed posts bashing players such as Joni while advocating AWardo (and let's not pretend they're not prevalent opinions on other boards) with little but opinion to back them up that agitates me.

Just as an example I've stuck my nose out here defending Joni as a #1 and, disagree with me or not, those that differed of opinion from me used facts or set a criteria of what exactly they define as a #1 defenseman in the NHL. At least for the most part.
As one of the newer people here, I think backing up the opinion is key. Most posters seem reasonable in refuting my points with their own with information to back themselves up, which is the important part to me. If I'm an idiot, at least explain why so I won't be an idiot in the future.

It surprises me that the fan base is so split among online communities, and I've never understood the history of that. A couple of boards do seem more...optimistic...than this one, but I appreciate the insight I found here more than the others.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
  #53
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
I don't really see much elitist attitude or bashing for the most part on this board. I've been lurking for a few years and only probably starting posting in earnest in the past year or so. I think this group is pretty mild for the most part. I've never gotten upset or offended (laughed some times though)..maybe it is my age that has mellowed me

I guess I know going in that:

a) This is a message board so it is a place to discuss things with people that have all different sorts of opinions, styles and mannerisms.

b) I have enough stress in my life without this so I do it for enjoyment, no need to get worked up.

c) Sometimes it is hard to understand someones intent/tone through the written word, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than jump to the conclusion that they are bashing me or my opinion.

d) People are going to be smarter than me, people are going to disagree with me, and in some cases people are going to be rude to me. I expect it..not a big deal.

e) There will be topics/discussions I just don't like. I just don't click on it or stay out of the discussion.

All in all, I think the board is fine and have never felt intimidated or felt like I couldn't voice my opinion.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
  #54
canesnecu
 
canesnecu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post

It surprises me that the fan base is so split among online communities, and I've never understood the history of that. A couple of boards do seem more...optimistic...than this one, but I appreciate the insight I found here more than the others.
Never understood that myself. If you think another board is crap, why take the time to lurk and quote their posts just to bash them? I personally think facebook attracts teenagers and the puckbunny crowd so gues what, I dont go there. If its so great and more knowlegable here, why does it attract so few and have trouble keeping the few that try?

Again I give dale props cause he does seem to care about the board and the team more than his authority as mod.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
  #55
Old Uncle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
You want bland and predictable - watch Soap Operas or "Reality Shows". Lively discussion tends to generate emotions at times, Sometimes our emotions get the better of us. If people didn't post something that made me think about or reconsider my position( if I had one) I would not continue to lurk.
Keep in mind (at the risk of repeating myself)
"nobody is totally useless - they can always be used as a bad example"
Go Canes

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
  #56
caniac247
Registered User
 
caniac247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Hurricane_SVT to be traded to KHL for Babchuk. I am right and you are wrong, you know nothing about hockey.


Seriously, Dale you do a great job. I find the discussions on here to be good. Of course not everyone is going to agree, but atleast everyone brings valid points to the discussions.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
  #57
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft
 
Mr Whipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Never understood that myself. If you think another board is crap, why take the time to lurk and quote their posts just to bash them? I personally think facebook attracts teenagers and the puckbunny crowd so gues what, I dont go there. If its so great and more knowlegable here, why does it attract so few and have trouble keeping the few that try?

Again I give dale props cause he does seem to care about the board and the team more than his authority as mod.
Think I've posted at all of the major boards that have existed out there at one point or another, myself. Each has it's own personality, I guess you could say. Which is best I'd say probably is more about your own personal preferences. Most have their own little cliques that are often unwelcoming towards newcomers, but some are worse than others. Some much, much worse.

I lurk here usually several times a day, though haven't been posting much for quite awhile due to my life getting busier. I like it here because you get a little mix of other fans coming in and giving their opinions, usually without the malice you see from other fans at say the official boards. Though I still do lurk other places as well.

All in all I like how this board is run. There are the occasional incidents, but those happen everywhere. Good job, and keep it up!

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
  #58
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,121
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I also want to express that I feel that I am quite welcoming to new users. In my entire posting history here, I have only had serious problems with 2 posters and there is no need to name them or rehash why that may be. In fact, there are veiled shots in this very thread that should lead you clearly to your conclusion there.

I am passionate about my hockey, but generally wish everybody well at the end of the day. We are all part of the same, often dysfunctional, family.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
  #59
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,235
vCash: 500
I think what some are taking as "elitist" is simply being unable to handle an argument. All fanbases are split over one thing or another and two sides of an issue are going to clash eventually. It's going to happen.

Thus, an argument forms and both sides bring up their respective perceptions on the issue. Both sides believe they're right about the issue (which I suppose you could call elitism, though I don't think it applies if everyone has it) and both sides will bring up point in their argument to try and sway the undecided (or indifferent).

Confrontation is a part of life, especially if you're going to spend any amount of time on the Internet, let alone a sports message board.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:04 AM
  #60
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil
 
AcidQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Sounds like someone's been hitting the Tyler's seasonal list with reckless abandon.
But do they still have Redstone on tap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber
I think what some are taking as "elitist" is simply being unable to handle an argument.
A+++ WOULD READ AGAIN

(And for the record: I have been quiet here just because I haven't been able to watch but like two games all damn season, so I can't be arsed to do much but the occasional driveby GDT or post.)


Last edited by AcidQueen: 01-29-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated.
AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:37 AM
  #61
caniacgirl12
Registered User
 
caniacgirl12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,695
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I also want to express that I feel that I am quite welcoming to new users. In my entire posting history here, I have only had serious problems with 2 posters and there is no need to name them or rehash why that may be. In fact, there are veiled shots in this very thread that should lead you clearly to your conclusion there.

I am passionate about my hockey, but generally wish everybody well at the end of the day. We are all part of the same, often dysfunctional, family.
We've come a long way from GDT's that turn into drunken music discussions.

And the magic thread.

__________________
....and nothing dims these stars.
caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
  #62
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I also want to express that I feel that I am quite welcoming to new users. In my entire posting history here, I have only had serious problems with 2 posters and there is no need to name them or rehash why that may be. In fact, there are veiled shots in this very thread that should lead you clearly to your conclusion there.
Yeah...yeah...Mr. Congeniality you constantly bring that up so let's set the record straight. We strongly disagreed on a point, which is no big deal but you took great exception to me challenging your POV. As a mod, you childishly deleted my comments, which didn't violate any rules, that you couldn't counter to allow yourself the final word. I tried to address it with you via PM to no avail.

After that we disagreed on a several other topics, hardly unique on a message board, but since then you've repeatedly posted that I'm supposedly on your ignore list. It's pretty funny though given how you respond to unquoted posts of mine in self-serving peek-a-boo game, apparently worrying your carefully crafted image of resident know-it-all might get dinged.

Maybe you should start a blog if you want full "board lord" power to control content and poster comments. Appealing to a mod pal, not the ones here, with a fictional story to have my account restricted was beyond weak after I simply stated your scouting report on Eaves wasn't accurate. Naturally you'll spin this...no wait...I'm on ignore.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:58 AM
  #63
canesnecu
 
canesnecu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 500
Oh yeh, Im also on "that ignore list" yet I was not only stalked here but on other boards as well lol. What goes around comes around, you cant delete things that dont break rules according to the HF rules.

Theres a good amount of the core here that is here to talk hockey and not feed their own ego, pad post counts or defend insecurety. That makes for some good reading now and then. dales working hard to change the cuture around here, it'l happen slowly.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
  #64
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
I am better than everyone that is on the other board... Is that elitist?

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
  #65
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,089
vCash: 500
Now we're gettin serious up in here...

Gonna say this, and this applies to everyone:

1) I don't buy for a second that there is anyone on this board that cannot make up their differences. Any rift caused by posts on this board is almost always by definition petty. Take it to PM and hash it out.

2) If you can't do that, fine. Let that be the end of it. I think I can safely speak for everyone else here and say that we don't care about your dispute. I have seen a number of people (no need to name names; you know who you are) take subtle little shots at others that are unnecessary and pointless. It does nothing but damage the board.

I should also point out that this is a board rule, and one that I happen to agree with:

Quote:
Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.
The first rule of ignore list is you don't talk about ignore list. That kind of defeats the purpose.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.