HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bob McKenzie's Mid-Season top 30 list for 2010

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2010, 05:00 PM
  #51
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,415
vCash: 500
I must say, this was a very solid list.

Anyone complaining about how this list is made really needs to look in the mirror and put aside your petty aliegances to certain prospects. This is the best one that I have seen so far (besides my own top 60 ofcourse!!). There are going to be honest debates over some spots, but people honestly ripping on McKenzie and how he formulates these rankings need to seriously stop.

I love the fact that John Mcfarland isn't top 10, nor is Jaden Schwartz, both are semi overrated players.

I am still a little miffed as to any scout that feels Gudbranson is better then Fowler, not so much because of talent, but because of the limited viewing we have had of him. Fowler stepped up in a pressure filled situation (WJC) and showed just how good he is, the Memorial Cup will be the final challenge for him.

El Nino baby!!! This kid is a stud, and I am very happy for the rise of his draft status. Just a bull on ice that battles for every inch he gets. Guys like this are few each draft year, and I too think he cracks the top 10 in June.

Finally props to Emerson Etem! I don't know how people have him out of their top 30 lists, let alone top 20. Him and Skinner are the best two snippers in this draft, period.

Speaking of Skinner, fantastic rise for him!!! I have been a fan watching him all year long with Kitchener, and this little spark plug is a goal scoring soprano! Like Etem, the masses are starting to get it, scoring goals is the bottom line, and those that do it the best, will get drafted high.

You gotta love Mark Pysyk, but are they a little too much in love with him? I am not sure how he translates his offensive game to the NHL, but at #12, that is a pretty high spot to select a dman that is not as offensively gifted as some others ranked behind him. I am a big fan of Pysyk, but this was a big rise for him imo.

This list is excellent, but there are still some minor debate over a few spots. This is really looking like a deep draft, so some of these kids are going to fall into the second round, that in previous years might have been first round picks.

I was hoping to see Jared Knight in the top 30, but I am sure he is right on the outside now. He is just a scoring machine the past month and a half, I have no doubts he outseats a guy like Hishon or Nelson for first round.

Tyler Pitlick at # 20??? That is the highest I have seen him. I dont agree with that as I think he goes second round, but it is a rarity to see a college freshman being ranked in the first round nowadays.

Speaking of rare, there is also Mr. Sheahan in the top 15!! People do not understand college hockey and the toughness for true freshman to actually get enough ice time and points to justify their numbers in regards to CHL kids. Riley has been excellent all year long on mainly the third line. He is a stud, and next year you will see monster numbers from him.

Derek Forbort at 18? That is the lowest that I have seen him so far. I figured he was a top 10 lock, and still feel he goes before Pysyk, but I will take a top 20 rating for him right now...Onto the U-18's to see how he does.

As for Jon Merrill, I was floored to see him as an HM. I am not sure if the whole USNDP incident has anything to do with this, but if you have Jared Tinordi in the first round, Merrill MUST go before him.

Merrill is all around better then Tinordi imo. Tinordi seems a little too hyped at this point imo.

Props to Bjugstad as being the top ranked US forward, not sure if he goes this high, but if Budish did not get injured last year, this is the hype he would have gotten as well. I think Bjugstad may fall a little bit, but should still be top 20.

As for the Honorable Mentions, I was glad to see Charlie Coyle and Kevin Hayes right there. Both of these kids are big mobile forwards that are going to get drafted very high. This is the best US highschool class that I have seen in some time, and it would not shock me if Coyle slipped into the first round.

Great list!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
  #52
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
Watson seems like a lower profile version of Jordan Staal to me. He's got the great work ethic and just quietly puts up offense while playing terrific defense. I really, really doubt he'll be as NHL ready as Staal was next September, but he could end up developing into a quality two-way third line centre (or a poor man's Staal).

As for Hishon, the scouting community seems to be really split on him. ISS has kept him in the Top 20 all season long, whereas CSS has him ranked in the fourties. Dober Hockey has compared him to Mike Richards, and thinks very highly of him. Bob's list has him comfortably in the middle of those extremes. I think the injury thing is unfortunate, but we see it every year with talented players who drop because of it. However it's pretty clear Hishon is 100% healthy again so that shouldn't be an issue. It could simply end up being a godsend to whatever team picks him up. Much like Backlund in 07 dropping because of injuries, Hishon could be a 20-30 Overall pick who has the talent to be a lot higher.

I agree with just about everything you said. However I really believe that Staals stock was was overvalued due to the fact of having a proven NHL'er as an older brother. Looking back Staal should have went 5-6 not #2.

If Watson had a proven NHL'er as a brother he would be around #10 IMO. I actually think he will turn out very similar to Staal. Maybe even more versatile because he could be a 2nd line power forward who can bang in the corners.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
  #53
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
MCILRATH EVEN IF BUT I ASK YOU PHYSICAL BIG AND FIGHT PROTECT MCILRATH ENFORCE ONLY SOMEBODY BONUS
I was hoping for a secret message in the capital letters....

Anyone else get the feeling that this guy is Pierre McGuire? Its just the way he posts with caps on certain words.

"This guy is going to be a MONSTER! He can FIGHT! He can PROTECT! He's gonna be a STAR!"

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
  #54
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
I agree with just about everything you said. However I really believe that Staals stock was was overvalued due to the fact of having a proven NHL'er as an older brother. Looking back Staal should have went 5-6 not #2.

If Watson had a proven NHL'er as a brother he would be around #10 IMO. I actually think he will turn out very similar to Staal. Maybe even more versatile because he could be a 2nd line power forward who can bang in the corners.
the way he played at the Top Prospects game should cement his first round status. The kid showed the heart of a lion blocking those back to back shots, and every single scout saw that. Heck, even Don Cherry called him the MVP of the game!!

It is said because he probably misses the rest of the season, but Watson was a guy that I felt would be a top 15 talent. The numbers havent come as liked, but his all around game is much safer as you stated then many others in the first round.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
  #55
Spitfire14
 
Spitfire14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
the way he played at the Top Prospects game should cement his first round status. The kid showed the heart of a lion blocking those back to back shots, and every single scout saw that. Heck, even Don Cherry called him the MVP of the game!!

It is said because he probably misses the rest of the season, but Watson was a guy that I felt would be a top 15 talent. The numbers havent come as liked, but his all around game is much safer as you stated then many others in the first round.
I thought Watson should of got the MVP of team Cherry. He is probably the best shot blocker in the OHL. He still has a respectable 35 pts in 45 games. That is playing on a stacked Windsor team where he was getting 3rd line icetime. Next year when he is on the Petes top line, I think he will more than PPG player. That being said, I don't think he will put up a lot of points in the NHL. He will be a team's best Penalty Killer. Once he fills in to his body, he could be a very good checker too. He was throwing huge checks in the prospects game.

And towards these rankings, I think TSN (probably Bob McKenzie) does a mock draft later in the season where they think each player will go. That one guy needs to not get his panties in a bunch just because a player is a honourable mention because of the russian factor. It is true, players fall because they are Russian. If they are already playing in North America, there is a better chance they are going to play in the NHL. That is why Burmistrov is so high. These are not necessarily where McKenzie thinks they will go, it is the consensus from all the scouts he polled.

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:25 PM
  #56
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
I agree with just about everything you said. However I really believe that Staals stock was was overvalued due to the fact of having a proven NHL'er as an older brother. Looking back Staal should have went 5-6 not #2.
Staal wasn't a consensus #2 that year.

TSN had him #4: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Red Line had him as the 5th best forward: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...forwards_x.htm

Central Scouting had him #2 amongst NA players: http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf

That year there was considered an "elite" group of 7 that was a step above the rest of the pack. How teams ranked Toews, Staal, Kessel, and Backstrom completely depended on the team. The Capitals wanted Backstrom over everybody else. The Blackhawks had Toews and Kessel higher than Backstrom. The Penguins might have been under the thought that with Crosby/Malkin already in place, that Staal might be the best candidate to shift to wing.

But it completely depended on the draft order. If the order had been different, you might have seen the same players go to the same teams.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
  #57
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Really good list in my opinion, I'd love for Skinner to fall that low he'd look great in Sens colours. If you're reading this.... Great job Bob!

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
  #58
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I must say, this was a very solid list.

Anyone complaining about how this list is made really needs to look in the mirror and put aside your petty aliegances to certain prospects. This is the best one that I have seen so far (besides my own top 60 ofcourse!!). There are going to be honest debates over some spots, but people honestly ripping on McKenzie and how he formulates these rankings need to seriously stop.
Upside is how Gudbranson gets so high, there likely is no scout who would dispute Fowler being a better player right now.

EJ McGuire has said he seems to be the guy scouts think has the most upside in this whole draft.

Gotta think theres something to it because hes barely been on the ice lately, it seems all thats happened to his draft stock if anything is its gone up?


I meant to quote the part about Gudbranson, damn.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
  #59
Bullrun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
It would be sick if Pitlick and Bjugstad both go in the first round.

A former Centennial and current Blaine player.
Current maverick and future gopher.

If they play in the same division in the nhl...just awesome.

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:38 PM
  #60
AvalancheRy
Registered User
 
AvalancheRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Anyone have any extra info on Emerson Etem?
I would be interested to know people's opinion of him as well. I saw him play at the prospects game and he looked really good, he scored a shorty with a nice shot. I am no pro at this but right now he would be my pick for the Avs.

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
  #61
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 22,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Staal wasn't a consensus #2 that year.

TSN had him #4: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Red Line had him as the 5th best forward: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...forwards_x.htm

Central Scouting had him #2 amongst NA players: http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf

That year there was considered an "elite" group of 7 that was a step above the rest of the pack. How teams ranked Toews, Staal, Kessel, and Backstrom completely depended on the team. The Capitals wanted Backstrom over everybody else. The Blackhawks had Toews and Kessel higher than Backstrom. The Penguins might have been under the thought that with Crosby/Malkin already in place, that Staal might be the best candidate to shift to wing.

But it completely depended on the draft order. If the order had been different, you might have seen the same players go to the same teams.
how do we know who wanted who? All we know is PIT wanted Staal over everyone, that CHI wanted Toews over Backstrom and Kessel and that WAS wanted Backstrom over Kessel.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
  #62
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,333
vCash: 500
Gonna be another interesting draft.

Must be REAL rough for Toronto fans knowing their solid pick is going to Boston, although I still think Kessel is gonna be a 40 goal scorer any season now.

At least Edmonton has something exciting to look forward to. Can't see them skipping out on Hall if they have the chance.

As much as they're still somehow in the race now, could see the Islanders finishing with a pick around 10 and still making off like bandits with a kid like Gudbranson or Gormley. Forbort may move up a bit by season's end as well.

Wonder if there'll be any rising stars come June?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
  #63
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Must be REAL rough for Toronto fans knowing their solid pick is going to Boston
You have no idea. Regardless of the positivity surrounding Kessel...when you ask for a rebuild for so long, and you think that top 3 pick is coming your way, then BAM...my soul aches.

It's funny about Pysyk, I think he's one of the safest picks in the draft, and I like his footspeed and stick skills (reminds me of a fleet Beauchemin)...but with the other offensive talents around, it'll be interesting to see which team takes him.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:02 PM
  #64
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Gonna be another interesting draft.

Must be REAL rough for Toronto fans knowing their solid pick is going to Boston, although I still think Kessel is gonna be a 40 goal scorer any season now.

At least Edmonton has something exciting to look forward to. Can't see them skipping out on Hall if they have the chance.

As much as they're still somehow in the race now, could see the Islanders finishing with a pick around 10 and still making off like bandits with a kid like Gudbranson or Gormley. Forbort may move up a bit by season's end as well.

Wonder if there'll be any rising stars come June?
They would both be steals at 10. Haven't seen much of Gormley outside of his Canada play, but Gudbranson would look great along side de Haan to solidify their defense a little more.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
  #65
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Good point.
I just want to see the best players ranked on play on the ice, not political factors off the ice. He is smack on with the North Americans, but Burmistrov over Tarasenko and Kabanov...common. Anyhow, Is there a list that ranks purely on play somewhere?
Have you seen all three play this year? Because, personally, I wouldn't take Kabanov over Galiev.

Bjindaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:51 AM
  #66
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,217
vCash: 500
I'm surprised he hasn't come in here to defend his list against you naysayers . When somebody posted about his book on the main forum he was all over that.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  #67
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Upside is how Gudbranson gets so high, there likely is no scout who would dispute Fowler being a better player right now.

EJ McGuire has said he seems to be the guy scouts think has the most upside in this whole draft.

Gotta think theres something to it because hes barely been on the ice lately, it seems all thats happened to his draft stock if anything is its gone up?


I meant to quote the part about Gudbranson, damn.
It's how they will translate their game to the NHL. Fowler isn't the most physical player and for a d-man, it could be problem. Being great offensively isn't good enough these days. I never was that impressed by Fowler. You see the offensive upside, but I have yet to see that little something that will make him great at the NHL level. I'd like to see him on a less good team...just to see how he really is.

And I will talk about Gormley again. He's just so mature on the ice. He really reminds me of Lidstrom...minus the all-star offensive abilities. He's not the most physical, but he knows exactly where to go on the ice to stop the other team. He's a good passer too.

I never seen Gudbranson play so I can't comment on him.

All in all, I'm pretty sure Fowler will be the first D taken strickly because of his offensive upside, but I understand why some scouts would take Gormley over him.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
  #68
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Allllllll aboard the Burmistrov bandwagon!

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  #69
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I was hoping to see Jared Knight in the top 30, but I am sure he is right on the outside now. He is just a scoring machine the past month and a half, I have no doubts he outseats a guy like Hishon or Nelson for first round.
Still have no idea why every list I see has this guy in the 100s. We probably overrate him a little in London, but he has a very nice upside. Hunter has finally started giving him minutes, after a year and a half of playing on the 3rd and 4th line with a bunch of role players. He has been filling up the scoresheet playing with Kadri this year, and there is alot to like about his game. If he was closer to 6'2 than 5'8, we might be looking at a top 15 pick. He will most likely finish this season with 30 or more goals, and is at a PPG pace.

Whoever drafts this guy should be able to sit back and watch him rise to be a top 10 scorer in the OHL next year, and be a good contributor in the WJC for team USA.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
  #70
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
It's how they will translate their game to the NHL. Fowler isn't the most physical player and for a d-man, it could be problem. Being great offensively isn't good enough these days. I never was that impressed by Fowler. You see the offensive upside, but I have yet to see that little something that will make him great at the NHL level. I'd like to see him on a less good team...just to see how he really is.

And I will talk about Gormley again. He's just so mature on the ice. He really reminds me of Lidstrom...minus the all-star offensive abilities. He's not the most physical, but he knows exactly where to go on the ice to stop the other team. He's a good passer too.

I never seen Gudbranson play so I can't comment on him.

All in all, I'm pretty sure Fowler will be the first D taken strickly because of his offensive upside, but I understand why some scouts would take Gormley over him.

Think Brent Burns but without the concussions. At least that's how his style of game reminds me of...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
  #71
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 10,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
It's how they will translate their game to the NHL. Fowler isn't the most physical player and for a d-man, it could be problem. Being great offensively isn't good enough these days. I never was that impressed by Fowler. You see the offensive upside, but I have yet to see that little something that will make him great at the NHL level. I'd like to see him on a less good team...just to see how he really is.

And I will talk about Gormley again. He's just so mature on the ice. He really reminds me of Lidstrom...minus the all-star offensive abilities. He's not the most physical, but he knows exactly where to go on the ice to stop the other team. He's a good passer too.

I never seen Gudbranson play so I can't comment on him.

All in all, I'm pretty sure Fowler will be the first D taken strickly because of his offensive upside, but I understand why some scouts would take Gormley over him.
I agree wiith you in a sense here, but lets just think about this...

Many have compared Fowler to Scott Niedermayer on here, with that said, do you not draft Niedermayer this high because he too lacks physical play? I think it is kind of silly to not draft a player of this ilk because of "fears" of lack of physicality.

I again understand your point, but a kid like Fowler isn't going to be a physical defensman, and that is okay. Duncan Keith isn't a physical defenseman, but I would take him over 95% of the dmen in this league. I am not saying Fowler is the next coming of Scott Niedermayer, but they do have similarities that many on here and elsewhere have stated.

I can't see anyone taking Gudbranson or Gormley over him at this point, but if either of those two players offensive game can raise to the level of Fowlers, then I can definitely see a challenge come June.

Ithe weird part is that when a draft eligible players gets injured, his draft status should fall some...but that hasn't been the case with Gudbranson, and maybe that is what bothers me. I can see a serious debate by June for a guy like Gormley who we have a full viewing of, but Gudbranson is riding on something that I must be missing at this point.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
  #72
Kevin Malone
Registered User
 
Kevin Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I agree wiith you in a sense here, but lets just think about this...

Many have compared Fowler to Scott Niedermayer on here, with that said, do you not draft Niedermayer this high because he too lacks physical play? I think it is kind of silly to not draft a player of this ilk because of "fears" of lack of physicality.

I again understand your point, but a kid like Fowler isn't going to be a physical defensman, and that is okay. Duncan Keith isn't a physical defenseman, but I would take him over 95% of the dmen in this league. I am not saying Fowler is the next coming of Scott Niedermayer, but they do have similarities that many on here and elsewhere have stated.

I can't see anyone taking Gudbranson or Gormley over him at this point, but if either of those two players offensive game can raise to the level of Fowlers, then I can definitely see a challenge come June.

Ithe weird part is that when a draft eligible players gets injured, his draft status should fall some...but that hasn't been the case with Gudbranson, and maybe that is what bothers me. I can see a serious debate by June for a guy like Gormley who we have a full viewing of, but Gudbranson is riding on something that I must be missing at this point.
Couldn't have said it better myslef AmericanDream!

Another thing that people need to remember is that this is Fowler's first year in the CHL. Ask any Windsor fan and they will tell you that through the first 15-20 games of the season it was obvious that Fowler had never played in a league that was this physical. You could see the talent and decision making was there but it was obvious he was adjusting his game for the more physical play.

I can't remember the last time I saw a defenseman with such poise with the puck. People need to go back and watch some film and see how many hits Niedermeyer/Bourque/Coffey/Housley/Lidstrom/Salming threw in their careers.

I just can't see any team passing on Fowler to take either of Grunbranson or Gormely.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
  #73
Raisy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
Couldn't have said it better myslef AmericanDream!

Another thing that people need to remember is that this is Fowler's first year in the CHL. Ask any Windsor fan and they will tell you that through the first 15-20 games of the season it was obvious that Fowler had never played in a league that was this physical. You could see the talent and decision making was there but it was obvious he was adjusting his game for the more physical play.

I can't remember the last time I saw a defenseman with such poise with the puck. People need to go back and watch some film and see how many hits Niedermeyer/Bourque/Coffey/Housley/Lidstrom/Salming threw in their careers.

I just can't see any team passing on Fowler to take either of Grunbranson or Gormely.
For me, it isn't the amount of hits that he has thrown. It is that sometimes he looks afraid to get hit and therefore is sometimes reluctant to go into corners or turns the puck over trying to avoid being hit.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
  #74
BobMckenzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
I actually wrote an epic retort to this yesterday but it took me so long to set up the quotes etc that by the time I went to post it I had timed out of the session and ended up losing everything I wrote. LOL. I was going to forget about it and not respond again because most of the posters have correctly identified the salient points and issues and tried to set Mr. Malkinfan straight on his problem with reading comprehension.

But now that this complete stranger who I have never met and do not know "hates" me, how can I not drop by?

Mr. Malkinfan, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't have to like me. You can even hate me, I have no problem with any of that. But if you're going to call me on something and challenge either my methodology or my professionalism, you better get your facts straight or be prepared to have me set you straight.

So here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Mckenzie has always been way off with the Russians..
Really? In last year's TSN final rankings, I had Kulikov at 9, he went 14. I had Orlov at 44, he went 55. I had Bobkov at 45, he went 76. I had Avtysyn as an Honorable Mention (60-80) and he went 109. If anything, I overvalued the Russians and didn't allow for enough of a Russian Factor. The only exception to that was Andronov, who I did not have in the top 80. He went 78. You are "way off" with your remark that I am way off on Russians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Very annoyed with his synopsis of Tarasenko. Clearly Mckenzie only watched the WJC. Guarantee he has never watched him in the KHL or U-18's..
Your guarantee is correct. I have never watched him in KHL or Under-18s. I cover the NHL. I work for TSN, not Three CP on SCTV. I won't be seeing a KHL game any time soon, if ever. And that matters how? As the posters point out, it doesn't matter because it's not my opinion. It's what the scouts say. Scouts think Tarasenko is a marvelous talent, right there with Hall and Seguin at the high end. But a lot of them think he's a notorious in and outer and they base that on watching him in the KHL and Under-18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
You can tell he only talks to the north american and CHL scouts. Since very few scouts travel to Russia these days (a hand full of NHL teams refuse to even send them their) I can promise you that Mckenzie has talked to none of them. Everything he posts is just a crap shoot on what he has seen at the WJ's. .
Again, read my lips. I'm not making any subjective analyses. I am a robot. As for the scouts I talk to, they number between 10 and 15 and most of them are chief scouts for their NHL teams. They regularly visit and scout in all countries, including Russia, because chief scouts are ultimately responsible for making the final call on which players to draft and they're not going to draft a player in the first or second round that they have not seen themselves. Nothing I post is a crap shoot and it only has anything to do with the WJC to the extent that the scouts' opinions were formed by what transpired in Saskatoon and Regina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
He should be ranking the players on skill rather than political reasons anyways because you never know a players intentions. Trying to rate them using the "Russian Factor" is stupid until you've actually interviewed the player. Only NHL teams will know this info in June..
I should not be ranking the players on skill or political reasons. I should not be ranking the players at all because I'm not a scout. I don't watch the players play. What part of that do you not understand? Are you thick? As for the Russian Factor it is a very real thing and there isn't a scout I talk to who doesn't worry about it, especially after Filatov opted for KHL money over AHL development time. Most scouts believe he needed the latter more than the former so between Filatov and Radulov and others, scouts worry that a talented Russian will bail on the NHL the first time he doesn't like how things are going. Don't shoot the messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Example, Burmistrov is ranked very high because he has put on a good display in the OHL. Why is he ranked higher than Kuznetsov or Kitsyn? Because he's already in NA of course. Too bad Mckenzie didn't do his research, Burmistrov is on a one year loan from Kazan and could return back to Russia next year...If only he knew that he probably would have honorable mentioned Burmistrov. Also, Kitsyn impressed scouts with his great play at the Can-Rus challenge long before the WJ's. Scouts said he definitely had 1st round skill. Of course ISS scouts would have known this from seeing him last year as a 16 year old in the KHL. All I am saying is that if Burmistrov is 7, then Kitsyn should be around the realm of 10-15, based soul on skill. And since there is as good of a chance that Kitsyn rather than Burmistrov is in NA next season....
I don't know why the scouts like Burmistrov so much more than Kuznetsov and Kitsyn. Maybe they think he's a better player. Maybe him being in Barrie already is a factor, the same as Kulikov being in Drummondville last year was a factor. I don't know and I don't really care, to be honest. Maybe Burmistrov will get drafted a lot lower than he's ranked. We'll see.

You can challenge me on a lot of things; you can fire an insult or two and I'll take that no problem, but don't tell me I didn't do my research. Whether you like them or not, the TSN ratings (and those at THN when I started the Draft Preview) have been the most accurate pre-draft indicator of where a player will be selected. This is not a scouting service. It is not Redline or ISS or McKeen's or whatever. It is a barometer of where players will be taken in the draft. I talk to scouts, get a numerical value or ranking of the player from that scout, do it over and over and chart them all to get a consensus. It's not perfect but of the 30 players TSN ranked in the first round last year, 27 were taken in the first round. Two others -- Ferraro and O'Reilly -- who were ranked in the first round were taken by No. 33. It doesn't always work out that well and maybe this year, it won't. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I don't see why Mckenzie rated them like this.
That's because you would have to open your eyes and your mind and it's pretty obvious there's not much chance of that happening.

By the way, I take the robot line as a compliment. I prefer to think of myself as a machine.

BobMckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
  #75
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
I actually wrote an epic retort to this yesterday but it took me so long to set up the quotes etc that by the time I went to post it I had timed out of the session and ended up losing everything I wrote. LOL. I was going to forget about it and not respond again because most of the posters have correctly identified the salient points and issues and tried to set Mr. Malkinfan straight on his problem with reading comprehension.

But now that this complete stranger who I have never met and do not know "hates" me, how can I not drop by?

Mr. Malkinfan, you are entitled to your opinion. You don't have to like me. You can even hate me, I have no problem with any of that. But if you're going to call me on something and challenge either my methodology or my professionalism, you better get your facts straight or be prepared to have me set you straight.

So here goes:



Really? In last year's TSN final rankings, I had Kulikov at 9, he went 14. I had Orlov at 44, he went 55. I had Bobkov at 45, he went 76. I had Avtysyn as an Honorable Mention (60-80) and he went 109. If anything, I overvalued the Russians and didn't allow for enough of a Russian Factor. The only exception to that was Andronov, who I did not have in the top 80. He went 78. You are "way off" with your remark that I am way off on Russians.



Your guarantee is correct. I have never watched him in KHL or Under-18s. I cover the NHL. I work for TSN, not Three CP on SCTV. I won't be seeing a KHL game any time soon, if ever. And that matters how? As the posters point out, it doesn't matter because it's not my opinion. It's what the scouts say. Scouts think Tarasenko is a marvelous talent, right there with Hall and Seguin at the high end. But a lot of them think he's a notorious in and outer and they base that on watching him in the KHL and Under-18.



Again, read my lips. I'm not making any subjective analyses. I am a robot. As for the scouts I talk to, they number between 10 and 15 and most of them are chief scouts for their NHL teams. They regularly visit and scout in all countries, including Russia, because chief scouts are ultimately responsible for making the final call on which players to draft and they're not going to draft a player in the first or second round that they have not seen themselves. Nothing I post is a crap shoot and it only has anything to do with the WJC to the extent that the scouts' opinions were formed by what transpired in Saskatoon and Regina.



I should not be ranking the players on skill or political reasons. I should not be ranking the players at all because I'm not a scout. I don't watch the players play. What part of that do you not understand? Are you thick? As for the Russian Factor it is a very real thing and there isn't a scout I talk to who doesn't worry about it, especially after Filatov opted for KHL money over AHL development time. Most scouts believe he needed the latter more than the former so between Filatov and Radulov and others, scouts worry that a talented Russian will bail on the NHL the first time he doesn't like how things are going. Don't shoot the messenger.



I don't know why the scouts like Burmistrov so much more than Kuznetsov and Kitsyn. Maybe they think he's a better player. Maybe him being in Barrie already is a factor, the same as Kulikov being in Drummondville last year was a factor. I don't know and I don't really care, to be honest. Maybe Burmistrov will get drafted a lot lower than he's ranked. We'll see.

You can challenge me on a lot of things; you can fire an insult or two and I'll take that no problem, but don't tell me I didn't do my research. Whether you like them or not, the TSN ratings (and those at THN when I started the Draft Preview) have been the most accurate pre-draft indicator of where a player will be selected. This is not a scouting service. It is not Redline or ISS or McKeen's or whatever. It is a barometer of where players will be taken in the draft. I talk to scouts, get a numerical value or ranking of the player from that scout, do it over and over and chart them all to get a consensus. It's not perfect but of the 30 players TSN ranked in the first round last year, 27 were taken in the first round. Two others -- Ferraro and O'Reilly -- who were ranked in the first round were taken by No. 33. It doesn't always work out that well and maybe this year, it won't. That's life.



That's because you would have to open your eyes and your mind and it's pretty obvious there's not much chance of that happening.

By the way, I take the robot line as a compliment. I prefer to think of myself as a machine.
Hey Bob thanks for stoping by. Always love reading your blogs and listening to your hockey insight. Most hockey fans view you as the best in the business.

I think your draft preview record stands for itself one of if not the most accurate year in and year out. Well done and we appreciate all the hard work.


DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.