HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help a New Player Out

Old
01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
hoonking

vCash: 500
Help a New Player Out

So after being an avid hockey fan I decided to finally take the plunge and play. The first obstacle was that I had never skated before; no problem, going this weekend and then hopefully 2-3 times a week from then on. March 22nd is when my midget league has evaluations and its not too competitive but most of those guys have been playing for a while. My friend is going to supply me with a helmet, shin pads, elbow pads and gloves so I have to get my skates, pants and stick.

As of now I'm going to buy a stick and skates as well as a stickhandling ball so I can practice at least an hour a day at home with the stick and then go to the rink as much as possible so I will be as well prepared as I can come March. My question is, for a kid on a budget, what would be the best stick/skate combo? I have played floor hockey and I know its not the same but I liked to take wrist shots a lot more than slapshots. I'm also tall but pretty skinny, around 6ft but only 133 pounds. Intermediate sticks are too short but I'm not sure if I would get as much use as I could out of an 85 flex senior stick. I'm trying to keep the total (including shipping) under $150ish so any recommendations would be good. Sorry for the huge wall of text, so to make myself more clear;

-6ft 133 pounds
-Need a senior stick with less than 85 flex that is good for wristers(RBK 4k?)
-Looking for a pair of skates that will last a little while and will complement a beginning skater that is not complete trash (I was thinking Vapor X15s? Or Supreme One15s?)

Thanks for any and all help and I apologize if its impossible to find those 2 items with my budget.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
CanadaBacon

You are going to have to go to a LHS about skates, you cant just grab a pair off the internet when you dont know what will fit your foot.

For 150$ you will probably end up with low end skates and 2 woodies, if that. Have you tried on your buddies gear? it might not fit you.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
hoonking

I know what size I am after trying on my friends since we have the same size shoe. And his gear fits as well, tried it on last time I was over. But Friday since I'm not going to be at school I will try to head to either my rink or a hockey shop to try and find skates and compare prices before I buy online.

What skate should I be looking for specifically? And whats the biggest difference between wooden and composite sticks?

Old
01-26-2010, 07:12 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
I know what size I am after trying on my friends since we have the same size shoe. And his gear fits as well, tried it on last time I was over. But Friday since I'm not going to be at school I will try to head to either my rink or a hockey shop to try and find skates and compare prices before I buy online.

What skate should I be looking for specifically? And whats the biggest difference between wooden and composite sticks?

Do you know what width your foot is? or your arch type?

imo going to a LHS to just try their gear on with the intentions of buying online is grimy.

Old
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
hoonking

Sorry if I worded that incorrectly. I would much rather buy from a local place (I prefer buying in-person as opposed to online) but if they are drastically more expensive, then why would I spend the extra there? I'm not working with much money here so I will go to where the deal is best but I'm hoping for it to be the local place.

Old
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Sorry if I worded that incorrectly. I would much rather buy from a local place (I prefer buying in-person as opposed to online) but if they are drastically more expensive, then why would I spend the extra there? I'm not working with much money here so I will go to where the deal is best but I'm hoping for it to be the local place.
Its your money, you can obviously can do what you want with it. just letting you know that a lot of folks (especially those who will spend the time helping you at the shop) find it grimy.

150$ is a LOW LOW budget to get decent skates and sticks. Not saying it is impossible, it is just going to be tough.

Old
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
hoonking

Well I've been using my friend for some help through this process and with him I have chosen a few items, I was just wondering if you or anyone else could chime in on them.

For skates, how are the Vapor X:15s compared to Supreme One15s?

Stick-wise I've kinda been deciding between the RBK 4k and the Bauer Supreme Force Composite, but no one has suggested wooden sticks to me before. What are the advantages/disadvantages to a wooden vs. composite?

Old
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Well I've been using my friend for some help through this process and with him I have chosen a few items, I was just wondering if you or anyone else could chime in on them.

For skates, how are the Vapor X:15s compared to Supreme One15s?

Stick-wise I've kinda been deciding between the RBK 4k and the Bauer Supreme Force Composite, but no one has suggested wooden sticks to me before. What are the advantages/disadvantages to a wooden vs. composite?
Wow, people could write essays about this...

Short and Sweet:

Skates: Go to a local PIAS and buy USED, you can get older skates already broken in (disadvantage is that they might be uncomfortable at first)

Sticks: For $150 budget, about 80-90 wouldve gone to used skates, so that leaves you with 60-70. The 4K's not bad, but your shoudl REALLY get a decent wood stick first to get used to it.

I dotn think any wood sticks are available in 75/77 flex, so 85 or so is your best bet. Wood sticks have a different feel than OPS, but other than that, a $40 woodie's gonna beat a $60 OPS anyday

I reccomend the One55/One75 woodie from Bauer, they're available in a variety of patterns and are quite light

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
hoonking

Alright, so basically any skate in that range would be good? Or are there some that I should just avoid.

Old
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Steelhead16

Try the outlet store at hockeymonkey.com or another site that has last years gear on sale. Limited selection of sizes and colors but prices are good. $150 is gonna be rough though. Ebay may have some lightly used stuff.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Alright, so basically any skate in that range would be good? Or are there some that I should just avoid.
Actually change that budget. Leave $40 or so for a good woodie and $110 for a skate, something like this if you insist on new:
http://www.prohockeylife.com/eng/pro...ii_sr?vapxiisr

but seriously, at that budget, its best to get an old top-end used skate like vapour XX's or even XXX's if you can find them. PIAS here in the GTA have GEMS

Old
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
CanadaBacon

One comment about buying used. Go with someone who knows about gear. You can certainly find gems buying used but you can also get complete crap ie no stiffness, steel needs to be replaced etc etc. Also keep in mind that the skates most likely will be broken in. Unfortunately they wont be broken in to your foot shape.

Once again you can find gems ie rarely used skates for awesome prices, but you can also find complete junk, make sure you dont get the junk

Old
01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'll agree with the others. On that budget, don't buy skates new. Any skates in that price range new are pretty much worthless.

Aireaye, Vapor XXs? And XXXs? The X:60's are now a year old, and it's hard to find XXXXs. XXXes were last new 3 years ago- and the last XXs would have been 5 or so. Those suckers are gone, long gone. Used at a PIAS is certainly possible, but they'll probably be pretty beat up.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:48 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I'll agree with the others. On that budget, don't buy skates new. Any skates in that price range new are pretty much worthless.

Aireaye, Vapor XXs? And XXXs? The X:60's are now a year old, and it's hard to find XXXXs. XXXes were last new 3 years ago- and the last XXs would have been 5 or so. Those suckers are gone, long gone. Used at a PIAS is certainly possible, but they'll probably be pretty beat up.
going off topic for a sec about PIAS if the OP was thinking about used sticks.

The PIAS dont sell/buy used OPS's (or shafts or wood) because of warranty reasons.

Only new (as in not used, they could be a year or two old) so a used stick is not possible through them.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Hrad

Well it's hard to find a decent pair of skates for under $100, but I can sell you this stick:

Vapor XX Stick'Um, P88 87 Flex, Great condition. It's a lefty, and I'm not sure if you are.

Anyways, I'm asking $50 which is a great price for a stick like that.

It weighs as much as a $200 Warrior Dolomite. It's a great stick.

PM Me or post here (or both) if you're interested at all.

Thanks,

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:05 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Well it's hard to find a decent pair of skates for under $100, but I can sell you this stick:

Vapor XX Stick'Um, P88 87 Flex, Great condition. It's a lefty, and I'm not sure if you are.

Anyways, I'm asking $50 which is a great price for a stick like that.

It weighs as much as a $200 Warrior Dolomite. It's a great stick.

PM Me or post here (or both) if you're interested at all.

Thanks,
That's because the XX is the dolomite. It's the same inno model the dolo is.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:15 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
For a stick look for an intermediate with around 75 flex and add an end plug. I have a Bauer XV that is a 77 flex.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you're playing adult league with grown men, even in a no-check league, you still need to gain weight or prepare to be injured a lot. 6'0, 133 is going to leave you with no room for error when playing guys twice your size no matter what you spend on pads.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If you're playing adult league with grown men, even in a no-check league, you still need to gain weight or prepare to be injured a lot. 6'0, 133 is going to leave you with no room for error when playing guys twice your size no matter what you spend on pads.
yup im 6'2 185-190 and im pretty lean

Old
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
DevilsFan38

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Make sure you try on lots of skates before you pick a pair, a size 8 Bauer fits different from a RBK, which fits different from an Easton, etc. And go with a wood stick, it's the cheapest option, fine for use if you're just starting out, and will let you spend more money on skates. IMO, skates and helmet are the two most important things to spend money on.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
He said his "midget" team, so I don't think he is playing with adults. I am 5'10" and about 145lbs and do just fine playing in a mens non checking beer league.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

I meant XX's and XXX's (skates) in PIAS

Old
01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
hemsky88

Don't forget the jock

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote