HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brule or potulny

Old
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
miller1082

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to miller1082
Brule or potulny

Brule or Potulny who would you want to stay or both

miller1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:04 PM
oilerfan91

Both

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Both

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Without a doubt...Brule!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
nullterm

Both, different players who bring different qualities. I have to say Potulny has really impressed me and hope he sticks with the team.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I don't think Potulny is really an NHL calibre center. He's done ok, but.....I think that's just because there are no better options. If i had to choose between the two, it's Brule all the way. [Hey, I just made a rhyme ]

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Copperhead

Both! I love that either player can fit nicely anywhere in the lineup. And at this point neither one should be too expensive to retain. Also both players generally bring a gritty game. Brule is more of a physical guy but Potulny is willing & ready to go to the dirty areas.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan91 View Post
Both
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew View Post
Both
This. They play different roles and we should keep both.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Professor Awesome

I'll have to go with Brule by a hair.
That being said, I'm thrilled that they have been two of the exorbitantly few Oilers whom have exceeded expectations.

Professor Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
OilerNut*

I like how people throw up two random players and tell people to pick 1. What point does this serve?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

You guys are giving this ****tard free reign to create as many mindless threads as he wants. Keep up the good work.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
You guys are giving this ****tard free reign to create as many mindless threads as he wants. Keep up the good work.
easy Porkins

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
I don't think Potulny is really an NHL calibre center. He's done ok, but.....I think that's just because there are no better options. If i had to choose between the two, it's Brule all the way. [Hey, I just made a rhyme ]
GP 34, G 10, A 8, Pts 18

Tied for 5th in goals on the team with O'Sullivan with 16 less games.

How is that not NHL caliber? He's a rookie finding a way to score on a team that can't to save it's own life.

Keeper.

I hope we all do away with the myth that every Oiler forward needs to have blazing speed at the expense of other talents. Not feasible and it ain't working.

Old
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Simmah down, buttercup. I like Potulny. I think he's done a pretty good job. But, this team seriously needs huge upgrades at the center position - and not just one, either. At least 2 lines worth of upgrades. As it is, I just don't think Potulny is a guy I'd slot in on either of the top 3 lines. He doesn't really create many plays, IMO...and his defensive awareness needs a lot of work, too.

I'm just saying, I think the Oilers need to get much better at center than an AHL player who's good enough to be the first call-up when needed, but not really good enough to be a full-timer in the NHL.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
GP 34, G 10, A 8, Pts 18

Tied for 5th in goals on the team with O'Sullivan with 16 less games.

How is that not NHL caliber? He's a rookie finding a way to score on a team that can't to save it's own life.

Keeper.

I hope we all do away with the myth that every Oiler forward needs to have blazing speed at the expense of other talents. Not feasible and it ain't working.
Rob Schremp's playing pretty good too right now and you dont see most people agreeing to the same points youre making - because of stigma, prejudice, etc.

or you could say both are just OK offensive role/fringe players who happen to be having OK years. how long is their longevity in this league and do they make better quality teams than the ones theyre on?

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
misfit

Both, but Potulny will probably get a whole lot less on his next contract, and he hasn't been given the favorable role that Brule has played in this year. So if I had to chose I might go with Potulny. I also think Brule is a prime candidate to be getting a contract we'll all wish we could get rid of in a year or two.

OT - I'm just watching the Oiler game, and Pierre McGuire really shouldn't be on TV. For a supposed hockey guy, he really doesn't seem to know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Rob Schremp's playing pretty good too right now and you dont see most people agreeing to the same points youre making - because of stigma, prejudice, etc.

or you could say both are just OK offensive role/fringe players who happen to be having OK years. how long is their longevity in this league and do they make better quality teams than the ones theyre on?
I thought of him, but didn't mention him. Schremp probably wouldn't make the Sharks or Penguins rosters. But could probably fit in fine with most NHL teams, including the Oilers.

Some view Gagner as the future of the franchise, and he doesn't have wheels either.

Alot of media people were throwing out the same concern about Stone saying he'd never make it with the Oilers. Guess who was a difference maker for a big chunk of the season as far as setting the tone for games.

Old
01-27-2010, 03:04 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
well we also allow you to create as many threads as you like

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:51 AM
John Hancock

I like them both. I want to keep them both. But, that being said, there are some factors to consider.

We have a lot of offensive forwards coming down the pipe, including possibly Hall/Sequin. With Hall/Sequin, and Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, MPS, Eberle, Penner, and Hemsky all slated to be top 6 forwards in the near future, there isn't much room to maneuvre for these guys in the top 6. With that in mind, I think an important question is, do we see Brule and Potulny as capable 3rd liners one day?

We have to consider some factors before answering this question. Both Brule and Potulny are small guys. They play large, but ultimately that is not a perfect substitute for actually being large. So, question 1 is: Will Brule/Potulny gain the strength to shut down Joe Thornton, or Ryan Getzlaf, for example? Or are they forever destined to come up short against the elite power forwards of the league?

Potulny isn't very fast. He's not slow, necessarily, but he's slow enough that a guy like Patrick Kane can probably skate circles around him right now. So, question 2 is, will Brule/Potulny develop the speed needed to keep up to the fastest elite forwards in the league? Brule likely will, as he can skate well already, but Potulny might come up short in this regard.

It's pretty clear that, while Brule and Potulny are capable of playing the center position, they aren't remarkable in the faceoff dot. Even if they improve in this area, they likely will never reach "elite" faceoff numbers. I doubt they'll ever average higher than 50% in the dot over the course of a season. This basically takes both of them out of the running to play in a shut-down center role. Faceoff wins are key when you are protecting a 1 goal lead in the third, or playing a 5-on-3 PK. Question 3 is: Can Brule/Potulny play sound positionally on the wing? Admittedly, it works out great that one shoots right and the other shoots left, as this means they are perfect to play opposing wings. The question is whether they can bring their positioning to a level that is considered "elite," to the point where they are our 1st PK unit, and are trusted to defend leads in close games. Do they have that defensive potential, and are they strong enough mentally to handle that pressure?

Moreau's strength, in his prime, was his size. He could skate well, but what made him a good shut-down winger was that he could back up his intensity with his 220 lbs. frame. Pisani, in his prime, had speed. He wasn't the largest customer, but he could keep up with some of the faster players in the league, and shut them down. This tandem worked quite well for the Oilers in the past.

In a nutshell, we know Brule is fast, and both players are responsible, but neither has a large enough frame to be an Ethan Moreau type of player. I propose, if these two are to be the future of our third line (which I believe is where management pegs them), we should be looking to acquire a large centerman, with good faceoff numbers, to be the "big guy" on their line. They will need a larger guy on their line to cover elite power forwards. If the Oilers are serious about making these two players into future 3rd liners, one of our top priorities should be to go out and get a big, strong (preferably a 28/29 yo veteran) 3rd line center.

We should also re-sign Pisani if at all possible, as he is the guy that needs to mentor these two, not Moreau. Pisani is their type of player, Moreau may not be able to tell them what they need to do to take on big players, as he is a big guy himself. Pisani and Comrie know these tricks however (one of the reasons I'm ok with the Comrie signing) and so they are the veterans that need to be retained.

While I'm here, I'll post a final thought. Our young, small offensive players, like the ones mentioned above, also need role models. The only guy fitting to teach them, on this team, is Hemsky. The problem is, Hemsky isn't really a role model. He's not the hardest worker at practices, for starters, which is a terrible example to our younger guys. I think we should at least be entertaining the thought of moving Ales Hemsky for a forward that is a better role model for these kids. We may not be able to afford Hemsky by the time we're ready to make a cup run, anyway, if he demands a substantial raise on par with the, say, the Sedins.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
I thought of him, but didn't mention him. Schremp probably wouldn't make the Sharks or Penguins rosters. But could probably fit in fine with most NHL teams, including the Oilers.

Some view Gagner as the future of the franchise, and he doesn't have wheels either.

Alot of media people were throwing out the same concern about Stone saying he'd never make it with the Oilers. Guess who was a difference maker for a big chunk of the season as far as setting the tone for games.
yeah, those are all valid points. when discussing role players it seems like thats a pretty complex issue that most people dont get into cause theyre really hard to predict (for the most part) on what theyre going to give you year to year. and making your team up of the "correct" role players can mean a world of difference.

like we all know Detroit's example of having pretty solid role players over the past decade or so. from the grind line, etc...

so, do guys like Potulny make the top 6? if not, what does he bring as a "bottom six" role player? is he more like a Schremp who can work on a 4th line (and yes i know he gets shifted around, i dont want any islanders spazzes saying him pigeonholing him), as of late, in the east and be productive with some grinders? maybe. either way, i guess Potulny is solid to have around for depth but im just going to have to hold off judgement to see what happens in the off-season to see if theres a really legit full time spot for him. no doubt hes playing really well though.

depending on the draft + trades coming up + possible new faces in those trades + possible signings in the off-season = the face of this team is going to be a messed up Rubick's Cube from what it is now.

if the Oilers had to choose between one though, id bet theyd keep Brule based on his draft hype (ahem, "pedigree") and intangibles. that said, Potulny does have a lot of blocked shots - 34 in 35 games. 46% in the dot isnt that special though. Brule is at 53.9 and hes been playing wing most often - retarded.

they need to get Brule and Penner on a line again with anyone when he gets back.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:45 AM
ncredible

I would perfer to keep both players on the team but if one of them can help move out an awful contract ( Moreau, Staios, Horcoff, Gilbert ) I'd be all for moving them. Potulny really impressed this year. 11 goals now, wow. If I had to pick one to keep, it would be Brule but I'm looking forward to keeping both. Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Smid, Brule, Potulny, Eberle, MPS should all be apart of the rebuild while anyone else gets moved.

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
As we stand right now I'd like to keep both. I think Brule has the higher end potential as a physical and offesnive guy, but he also has injury problems. Potulny on the other hand could be a replacement for Brodziak.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Both.

If I had to choose-- Brule.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

Both. But just one? Potulny, extra forward that can play most every line.
Brule? too injuy prone, due to agressive style that he plays ( which is why I would still keep him)and not big enough for his role.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
Both. But just one? Potulny, extra forward that can play most every line.
Brule? too injuy prone, due to agressive style that he plays ( which is why I would still keep him)and not big enough for his role.
He hasn't had a serious injury in 3+ years. He's only missed games this year courtesy of the flu.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote