HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

USA Hockey Rule Question

Old
01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
USA Hockey Rule Question

What is a crease violation?

from what I know, its when a player is standing in the crease when the puck is being shot and it goes it its a crease violation

weve been called for several crease violations when we have one of our players standing in the opponents crease and the puck is not being shot

also, when is it a 4-4? if two players get unsportsman like penalties or anything, at the same time, is it 5-5 or 4-4 cause in the NHL its 4-4

what is the ruling if a player covers the puck outside teh crease?? is it a delay of game or a faceoff and where is the faceoff?

if you could provide some proof to back it up id appreciate it so i can tell the ref next time it happens

thank you

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 01-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post

from what I know, its when a player is standing in the crease when the puck is being shot and it goes it its a crease violation

weve been called for several crease violations when we have one of our players standing in the opponents crease and the puck is not being shot

also, when is it a 4-4? if two players get unsportsman like penalties or anything, at the same time, is it 5-5 or 4-4 cause in the NHL its 4-4

what is the ruling if a player covers the puck outside teh crease?? is it a delay of game or a faceoff and where is the faceoff?

if you could provide some proof to back it up id appreciate it so i can tell the ref next time it happens

thank you
From memory (sorry no link):

I think that is correct. The ref is right. No penalty but faceoff outside the blueline.

Still 5 on 5 for coincidental minors, unlike the NHL.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
SJGoalie32

-Offsetting minor penalties will result in 5-on-5 play. [Rule 402 (f)]

-If a player simply falls on the puck and covers it outside the crease, it's just a faceoff at the nearest dot.....unless an attacking player covers it in the attacking zone, then the faceoff comes just outside the blue line. If the referee deems the player *intentionally* covered the puck outside the crease, usually by covering it with his hand or using his hand to draw it under his body, it can technically be called a delay-of-game penalty. [Rule 612] However, the rule does make allowances if the puck becomes lodged in a players equipment or it's trapped underneath his body either on a blocked shot attempt or falling to the ice as a result of play. Usually, unless it's absolutely blatant, most refs won't call a minor penalty on that play. In 15 years of playing, including quite a few plays that looked pretty intentional, I've only seen that call made maybe one or two times against a skater. Now I have seen quite a few instances where goaltenders have been called for delay-of-game, either for covering a puck far away from their crease or for not playing the puck after catching it with no opposing players immediately around them.

-You are not allowed to stand in the goal crease even if there is no shot on goal. Violating the goal crease impedes the free motion of the goaltender inside his crease, and illegally distracts the goaltender.

[Rule 621d] - When the puck is in the Attacking Zone and not in the goal crease, a player of the attacking team may not stand on the goal crease line or in the goal crease, hold his stick in the goal crease or skate through the goal crease. If the puck should enter the goal while such a condition prevails, a goal shall not be allowed. For violation of this rule, while the attacking team has possession of the puck, play shall be stopped and a face-off held at the nearest Neutral Zone faceoff spot

Typically officials will allow attackers to some minor contact with the crease in the normal course of play. But if you stand there making no attempt to vacate the crease, the ref should blow the whistle and the faceoff comes outside the zone, regardless of if there's a shot on goal.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

From what I know , its when a player is standing in the crease when the puck is being shot and it goes it its a crease violation

thank you
From what I know (every beer league i have played in uses USA rules) is that the crease violation is anytime a player enters the crease in the offensive end the ref blows the whistle and there is a faceoff outside the zone.

He doesn't even have to be going after a puck. basically ANY skate in the crease period for any reason by an offensive player.

I assume you also have automatic icings and the like.

The ref is doing a good job .... stay out of the crease

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
-Offsetting minor penalties will result in 5-on-5 play. [Rule 402 (f)]

-If a player simply falls on the puck and covers it outside the crease, it's just a faceoff at the nearest dot.....unless an attacking player covers it in the attacking zone, then the faceoff comes just outside the blue line. If the referee deems the player *intentionally* covered the puck outside the crease, usually by covering it with his hand or using his hand to draw it under his body, it can technically be called a delay-of-game penalty. [Rule 612] However, the rule does make allowances if the puck becomes lodged in a players equipment or it's trapped underneath his body either on a blocked shot attempt or falling to the ice as a result of play. Usually, unless it's absolutely blatant, most refs won't call a minor penalty on that play. In 15 years of playing, including quite a few plays that looked pretty intentional, I've only seen that call made maybe one or two times against a skater. Now I have seen quite a few instances where goaltenders have been called for delay-of-game, either for covering a puck far away from their crease or for not playing the puck after catching it with no opposing players immediately around them.

-You are not allowed to stand in the goal crease even if there is no shot on goal. Violating the goal crease impedes the free motion of the goaltender inside his crease, and illegally distracts the goaltender.

[Rule 621d] - When the puck is in the Attacking Zone and not in the goal crease, a player of the attacking team may not stand on the goal crease line or in the goal crease, hold his stick in the goal crease or skate through the goal crease. If the puck should enter the goal while such a condition prevails, a goal shall not be allowed. For violation of this rule, while the attacking team has possession of the puck, play shall be stopped and a face-off held at the nearest Neutral Zone faceoff spot

Typically officials will allow attackers to some minor contact with the crease in the normal course of play. But if you stand there making no attempt to vacate the crease, the ref should blow the whistle and the faceoff comes outside the zone, regardless of if there's a shot on goal.
****, thats stupid though, he was on the other side of the crease trying to sneak behind the defense on the play

o well, i guess i will have to find something else to give the ref **** for

thanks everyone

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
****, thats stupid though, he was on the other side of the crease trying to sneak behind the defense on the play
I don't think it's stupid.

What if the goalie wants to tap his far post to check his positioning?
What if the pass goes across the rink to an open attacker on a one-time play and you're impeding the goalie from getting across?
What if there is another attacker trying to skate to the far post and you're blocking the goalie's vision?
What if your player's position forces the goalie to play deeper in his crease than he wants to in order to defend against your player?

The entire reason the blue crease exists is for the protection and free movement of the goaltender.....not for the benefit of sneaky forwards who want to use it to gain an extra advantage.

Even if one is not directly in contact with the goaltender, a forward's position in the crease does interfere with the goalie....whether by preventing his free movement or by distracting his concentration. You can do both of those things on the rest of the white-colored ice, but you are not permitted to do those things in his protected crease.

Invariably, a player in the crease--even on the far side--is much more likely to make physical contact with a goaltender....whether of his own initiation or as a result of a collision with the defender trying to guard him. Thus, an attacking forward positioned in the crease greatly increases the risk of injury to the goaltender, particularly unseen hits from the side or behind.

Under current NHL rules, the crease standard is a little less strict. NHL-caliber officials can use their judgment to ascertain the whether an NHL skater's position is severely interfering with an NHL goaltender. At the beer/youth/rec league levels which are governed by USA Hockey, the standard is tighter there so that the referee doesn't have to wait until an amateur goaltender has been involved in a dangerous awkward collision before stopping an illegal play on which any goal would've been disallowed anyway.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote