HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Steve Tambellini fire Pat Quinn?

Old
01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
The thing is, Tambellini firing Quinn would look awful, considering Tambellini has done jack to improve the team. The fact that the Oilers are missing their #1 goalie and best player is also an issue, but Tambellini could have improved the team over the summer and didn't.

Then last night on TSN, he goes and says that they thought they would have been farther along at the beginning of the season. They had essentially the same team that missed the playoffs last season. How'd he figure that? Until the management team gives the coaching staff a chance, I just can't see them firing any of the coaches.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Quinn isn't even close to the problem here.
this.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Lets get this straight right now and I'm fed up of Lowe being blamed for this contract. Lowe traded with Vishnovsky. He didn't sign him yet the Lowe haters will blame him for everything even if it's not his fault. Lowe will also be blame for Tambi's mistakes. If Lowe was pulling any strings, there would have been trades. Sorry to burst your bubble but Tambi made the current mess of having the worst team in franchise history. Signing Khabbi, an injury-prond goalie was all Tambi.
Uh.... huh.

you realize that Lowe realized full well how much Visnovsky was getting paid before making that trade, right? He knew he was taking on that contract, so if that contract hurts us in the future, it is darn well his fault. Remember who left in that trade? Stoll and Greene. Shut down center and shut down defenseman. Lowe never signed a new shut down center or shut down d-man to fill the holes. But somehow our lack of defensive defensemen, and defensive centers whocan win faceoffs (Lowe also let Marty Reasoner walk, remember) is not Lowe's fault. Right. It must be Tambellini's, the guy who inherited the team of AHLers, with a whopping $4 million in cap space in the off season to fill all of this team's holes, including a number 1 center, a number 3 center, and starting goaltender.

Re-read your own post. You just said Tambellini is responsible for the mess that is our roster because he made one questionable signing, out of a heap of bad contracts. You also said Lowe would have pulled off some good trades in the off season to turn this team around. When has Lowe ever made a miracle trade like this?

Lowe signed Horcoff.
Lowe signed Gilbert.
Lowe signed Moreau.
Lowe signed Pisani.
Lowe signed Staios.

Now for the things you claim Tambi didn't do. I'm guessing... no 3rd line center, bad goalie signing, no star forward, no shut down d-man?

if Lowe had made those signings when he was GM, we wouldn't need Tambellini to make them now. Roloson was no better than Khabibulin, and older to boot. But you don't criticize Lowe for not signing a better goalie years ago. If Lowe had offered Reasoner a $1 million contract, we'd have a 3rd line center right now. The bottom line is, Lowe failed to improve this roster for years before Tambellini came on board. At least Tambellini is showing a commitment to rebuilding for the future.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Uh.... huh.

you realize that Lowe realized full well how much Visnovsky was getting paid before making that trade, right? He knew he was taking on that contract, so if that contract hurts us in the future, it is darn well his fault. Remember who left in that trade? Stoll and Greene. Shut down center and shut down defenseman. Lowe never signed a new shut down center or shut down d-man to fill the holes. But somehow our lack of defensive defensemen, and defensive centers whocan win faceoffs (Lowe also let Marty Reasoner walk, remember) is not Lowe's fault. Right. It must be Tambellini's, the guy who inherited the team of AHLers, with a whopping $4 million in cap space in the off season to fill all of this team's holes, including a number 1 center, a number 3 center, and starting goaltender.

Re-read your own post. You just said Tambellini is responsible for the mess that is our roster because he made one questionable signing, out of a heap of bad contracts. You also said Lowe would have pulled off some good trades in the off season to turn this team around. When has Lowe ever made a miracle trade like this?

Lowe signed Horcoff.
Lowe signed Gilbert.
Lowe signed Moreau.
Lowe signed Pisani.
Lowe signed Staios.

Now for the things you claim Tambi didn't do. I'm guessing... no 3rd line center, bad goalie signing, no star forward, no shut down d-man?

if Lowe had made those signings when he was GM, we wouldn't need Tambellini to make them now. Roloson was no better than Khabibulin, and older to boot. But you don't criticize Lowe for not signing a better goalie years ago. If Lowe had offered Reasoner a $1 million contract, we'd have a 3rd line center right now. The bottom line is, Lowe failed to improve this roster for years before Tambellini came on board. At least Tambellini is showing a commitment to rebuilding for the future.

-JH.
Agreed...the men we have in the coach and gm's seats didn't put us in this position. Unfortunately Quinn is in a no win (literally, he he) situation and I would not be surprised to see him step down after this season. And Tambellini will have to work miracles to ice a better team next year, might as well take our lumps now and build for the future. But realistically neither is at fault for this fiasco.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
frag2

Quote:
Lets get this straight right now and I'm fed up of Lowe being blamed for this contract. Lowe traded with Vishnovsky. He didn't sign him yet the Lowe haters will blame him for everything even if it's not his fault. Lowe will also be blame for Tambi's mistakes. If Lowe was pulling any strings, there would have been trades. Sorry to burst your bubble but Tambi made the current mess of having the worst team in franchise history. Signing Khabbi, an injury-prond goalie was all Tambi.
Who's fault was it again to sign Horcoff to that monstrous deal? To add 4 years to Moreau/Staois?

Lowe started the ****. Tambo "tried" but couldn't fix it. You give **** to Quinn, the only thing he can do is make it "slightly" less ******. What did you expect?

I agree. Tambo should go before Quinn but Tambo isn't completely at fault. His boss is and will always be until he gets the boot.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

I will continue to claim that, personally, I didn't want Quinn here at all! But when they announced Renney and Quinn I was a bit more open to it. Not too long ago I posted a thread idea of having Lowe/Tambs gone and Quinn up to GM and let Renney take over. I still don't believe Quinn is a good enough coach anymore at the NHL level, and last night during the game I noticed that Quinn was giving the gears to the D (where Renney is supposedly looking over) and Renney kinda didn't look too impressed with Quinn (at least thats the impression I got from the situation).

Basically, I still don't think Quinn is a good enough coach, and even with Renney, I'd still like to see Quinn out the door as our coach. I'd rather see Renney/Murray as our coaching combo. Problem is that Quinn/Renney are both on 3yr deals, and in year 1, thats why I proposed that T-Lo get canned and let Quinn, with strict enforcement by Katz, that he is to rebuild this team over his next 2 years and will be re-evaluated on how he performs on the restructuring of the team from there.

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Alex87

In 2006/2007, the Flyers were abysmal. Then GM Bobby Clarke fired his coaching staff (including Ken Hitchcock who was regarded as one of the best coaches in the NHL) before resigning himself.

If Tambellini plans on firing Quinn, he'd better have his own letter of resignation ready to go.

Alex87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Who's fault was it again to sign Horcoff to that monstrous deal? To add 4 years to Moreau/Staois?

Lowe started the ****. Tambo "tried" but couldn't fix it. You give **** to Quinn, the only thing he can do is make it "slightly" less ******. What did you expect?

I agree. Tambo should go before Quinn but Tambo isn't completely at fault. His boss is and will always be until he gets the boot.
How did he try?

The Horcoff contract is bad and it is Lowe that wears the egg on that one but the mess the Oilers find themselves in today is more on Tambellini than on Lowe.

There is no reason that almost two years into Tambellini's tenure that we should still be watching the team that Lowe assembled. None, but we are and because of his inaction/incompetence he seems to have a build in sheild from critisism because people are looking at who, on a bad team, is still here and relate those players with the guy who brought them in instead of the guy that has been mandated to move out whoever is necessary in order to improve.

Hell when Lowe was GM he changed his own team more than this within a two year period.

Horcoff has a bad contract, big whoop, as a GM it's your job to either work around it or find a way to fix it. Not wet yourself at the mere sight of it and then curl up in the corner and hide until the contract has run it's course.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
How did he try?

The Horcoff contract is bad and it is Lowe that wears the egg on that one but the mess the Oilers find themselves in today is more on Tambellini than on Lowe.

There is no reason that almost two years into Tambellini's tenure that we should still be watching the team that Lowe assembled. None, but we are and because of his inaction/incompetence he seems to have a build in sheild from critisism because people are looking at who, on a bad team, is still here and relate those players with the guy who brought them in instead of the guy that has been mandated to move out whoever is necessary in order to improve.

Hell when Lowe was GM he changed his own team more than this within a two year period.

Horcoff has a bad contract, big whoop, as a GM it's your job to either work around it or find a way to fix it. Not wet yourself at the mere sight of it and then curl up in the corner and hide until the contract has run it's course.
I put tried in quotes if you haven't noticed. There were attempts to fix it...too bad the attempts were pitiful at best

Old
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I put tried in quotes if you haven't noticed. There were attempts to fix it...too bad the attempts were pitiful at best
Yeah I saw that but I am having trouble recalling what he "tried" to do to fix things.

Sure there were a couple moves and an attempted move but none of them seemed to address the holes that were screaming to be fixed.

Needless to say I think Tambellini has been a disaster hiring for this team...

Old
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
How did he try?

There is no reason that almost two years into Tambellini's tenure that we should still be watching the team that Lowe assembled.
This.

Tambo also added the Khabibulin albatross, threw the moon at Heatley, and tried to bring in Neal at a grossly inflated pricetag. Actually, when you look at it that way, it's probably a good thing he's so incompetent, because we'd be in even worse shape if he had made some of the deals he had wanted to make.

Both Lowe and Tambo should get gone.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 168
Quinn has only ever missed the playoffs twice in 20 yrs coaching, he knows what he is doing. Tambo? 1st G.M gig, has not proven at all he knows what he is doing. Quinn stays, Tambo, look in the mirror.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
Quinn has only ever missed the playoffs twice in 20 yrs coaching, he knows what he is doing. Tambo? 1st G.M gig, has not proven at all he knows what he is doing. Quinn stays, Tambo, look in the mirror.
factually, he's missed 4 yrs in 19, not to nit pick

2 SC finals, lost both
2 3rd round losses
7 2nd round losses
4 1st round losses

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
factually, he's missed 4 yrs in 19, not to nit pick

2 SC finals, lost both
2 3rd round losses
7 2nd round losses
4 1st round losses
Thanks for that.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Yeah I saw that but I am having trouble recalling what he "tried" to do to fix things.

Sure there were a couple moves and an attempted move but none of them seemed to address the holes that were screaming to be fixed.

To be fair, it looks like he's set us up for the highest draft pick in team history. I think it was all part of his master plan, he brought in an old injury-prone goaltender and assembled a team of smurfs to set us up for Hall. Next year Bulin comes back, Tambo busts some moves in the off-season, and we're a playoff team

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Tikkfan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
In 2006/2007, the Flyers were abysmal. Then GM Bobby Clarke fired his coaching staff (including Ken Hitchcock who was regarded as one of the best coaches in the NHL) before resigning himself.

If Tambellini plans on firing Quinn, he'd better have his own letter of resignation ready to go.
Damn skippy! Tambo's sure got his work cut out for him!

Tikkfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
To be fair, it looks like he's set us up for the highest draft pick in team history. I think it was all part of his master plan, he brought in an old injury-prone goaltender and assembled a team of smurfs to set us up for Hall. Next year Bulin comes back, Tambo busts some moves in the off-season, and we're a playoff team
What's that old adage?

When it comes to intelligence, the closest thing to genious is an idiot.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:04 AM
OilCanada92

Quinn will probably step down and let Renney take over once the re-building process is starting to look good.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:26 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Quinn will probably step down and let Renney take over once the re-building process is starting to look good.
Heck or high water, Quinn stays on the bench for 3 years and hands over the reins. As crud(e) as the Oil might be right now, I think he sees the team in the longer term and it's his project to reshape into a winner.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:08 AM
frag2

Quote:

I was being generous with the definition of "try" but yeah, I wholeheartedly agree-everything has been an epic fail [maybe to the point of epic flail?]

Old
01-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
This.

Tambo also added the Khabibulin albatross, threw the moon at Heatley, and tried to bring in Neal at a grossly inflated pricetag. Actually, when you look at it that way, it's probably a good thing he's so incompetent, because we'd be in even worse shape if he had made some of the deals he had wanted to make.

Both Lowe and Tambo should get gone.
S**t I forgot about that.

At least this team is bigger.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:57 AM
mactforcoach

I can see Quinn staying on for 2 more yrs, because of his pride if nothing else. I really believe he wants to turn things around, but I'm not sure he's the guy to do it. I don't think Tambo would fire him, it would just be admitting another mistake.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
reg dunlop

Quote:
x2 Tambellini has got to be fired before he runs the team down the sewer.

When Lowe was GM, the team never finished with less than 70 points.

This year the team will finish with less than 40 points. Ugh. Worst Oilers team in franchise history.
This team and its troubles are due in large part to Lowe, he might be a lifer because he is a former oiler but he has done this franchise no favors moving forward

reg dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote