HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kariya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
  #1
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Kariya

After watching us lose yet another game I tuned in to the Calgary-Blues game. I couldn't help but notice that Kariya still has tremondous speed and great hand eye coordination. If the Blues become sellers at the dead line and should we be in a position to make a final push, would he not be someone we can pair with Gabby? He becomes a UFA at the end of the year and I am sure he will not command his current $6 mil. a year. Perhaps the Blues are a perfect trading partner to take either Wade or Rozy. I would sooner offer Kariya the $3 mil. that we are forking out to Kotes! Before flaming me here, think about the possibilities of going into next year with Gabby, Kariya, Prospal, Cally, Dubi, A.A., and Avery then go from there.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:30 PM
  #2
LetsGoBlueshirts
Registered User
 
LetsGoBlueshirts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Joisey
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Yes but shouldn't we be sellers at the deadline?

In all honesty, I have been checking the boards a couple times per day recently just to see if we have made a move.

I'm very interested to see the first move (something has to happen IMO). I think we can get a feel on where management stands based on if its a "sell" move (ie Higgins/Prospal for pick/prospect) or a "buy" like the move you propose here.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
  #3
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,735
vCash: 910
Awards:
I mean if it involves sending Redden, Kotalik, or possibly Rozsival the other way, sure. Otherwise, no, he's just a band-aid.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
  #4
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Any trade that turns Redden or Kotalik into an expiring contract is a move to make.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
  #5
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,977
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
After watching us lose yet another game I tuned in to the Calgary-Blues game. I couldn't help but notice that Kariya still has tremondous speed and great hand eye coordination. If the Blues become sellers at the dead line and should we be in a position to make a final push, would he not be someone we can pair with Gabby? He becomes a UFA at the end of the year and I am sure he will not command his current $6 mil. a year. Perhaps the Blues are a perfect trading partner to take either Wade or Rozy. I would sooner offer Kariya the $3 mil. that we are forking out to Kotes! Before flaming me here, think about the possibilities of going into next year with Gabby, Kariya, Prospal, Cally, Dubi, A.A., and Avery then go from there.
Why would the Blues take Rozsival or Redden?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
  #6
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
No, thanks. I was one of Kariya's biggest fans but the Rangers need to move past aquiring old overpriced players.

I counter with the next season plan of

Redden to HFD (-6.5 mil)
Higgins UFA (-2.25 mil)
Waive Avery (-2 mil)
Prospal UFA (-1.1 mil)
Trade Lisin for a pick
Aquire Pyatt.

Sign Kovalchuk (9.2 mil)
Callup Sauer(+.6 mil)
Sign cheap 7th dman (Dandenault, for example)
Call up Wiese

Then we have

Pyatt-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Callahan
Kotalik-Drury-Wiese
Byers-Boyle-Voros

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Gilroy
Girardi-Sauer

Lundqvist
Johnson

Am I missing anyone?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
  #7
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
I can't believe that some of you still aren't sold on the fact that Avery seems to be the only guy that takes losing to heart on this team! waiving Avery is the last thing we should be concerned about. What about assembling a team that would allow this guy to play within his game. This guy is burnt right now, having to spark this team and then to boot fight bigger guys because no one else can, come on, hate him, but please aknowledge what this guy brings to the table. And again, $3 mil for a left over Kariya, I would take any day in regards to some of the current contracts we have.....signing Kovy to add two super stars on either line and not having anyone to play with them isn't a solution, and clearly, these are two guys that can't play on the same line together, unless playing a game with two pucks is permitted in the New NHL!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
  #8
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
I agree. But Kariya would eat up a substantial section of the cap.

I am completely against a dry lineup outside of Gaborik and Kovalchuk. However, i think Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal, Callahan, these are guys that can be good supporting cast players as they grow and mature.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
  #9
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
I agree with you Fritzy in the sense that we have some great up and coming players, in fact I can't wait to see this team in three to four years from now. But I don't see Kovy being a solution for us. We see it now that we cleqrly don't have any one to support Gabby and we have become a one trick pony! I will agree to disagree as long as you take back wanting to waive Avery!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
  #10
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Kovalchuk will not sign for less than a $11m cap hit.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
  #11
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Kovalchuk will not sign for less than a $11m cap hit.
In Atlanta.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
  #12
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
In Atlanta.
Kovalchuk can get $20 million tax free in the KHL. Unless the contract is DiPietro's length with the max contract value allowed, he's going to Russia. Heck, I wouldn't resist $20m tax free!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
  #13
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
No, thanks. I was one of Kariya's biggest fans but the Rangers need to move past aquiring old overpriced players.

I counter with the next season plan of

Redden to HFD (-6.5 mil)
Higgins UFA (-2.25 mil)
Waive Avery (-2 mil)
Prospal UFA (-1.1 mil)
Trade Lisin for a pick
Aquire Pyatt.

Sign Kovalchuk (9.2 mil)
Callup Sauer(+.6 mil)
Sign cheap 7th dman (Dandenault, for example)
Call up Wiese

Then we have

Pyatt-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Callahan
Kotalik-Drury-Wiese
Byers-Boyle-Voros

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Gilroy
Girardi-Sauer

Lundqvist
Johnson

Am I missing anyone?

So no upgrades to the defense, have Dubi as a 1st line center with Taylor Pyatt as a 1st line winger no less, and have arguably the least skilled bottom-6 in the NHL? And you have arguably the best two RW's in hockey playing with Dubi and AA as their centers?

No thanks.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
  #14
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Anyone who wants to waive Avery should root for another team...the guy has a heart of a lion and the will to win more then any other player on the team.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:07 PM
  #15
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
So no upgrades to the defense, have Dubi as a 1st line center with Taylor Pyatt as a 1st line winger no less, and have arguably the least skilled bottom-6 in the NHL? And you have arguably the best two RW's in hockey playing with Dubi and AA as their centers?

No thanks.
Well, good luck making a better roster without a rebuild, because I don't see it. Maybe thats why im not a gm.

We made the playoffs with Isbister as a first line winger.
Dubinsky is on pace for 56 points over a full year and maybe he could hit 60 over a full consistent season.

The bottom 6 is unavoidable. Drury and kotalik are not really tradeable. So we can only hop that since both of them are historic 20 goal scorers, it would be better than the leagues worst bottom 6.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
  #16
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
As for Kariya, no way. I really want this team to target a good 1st line center for the next two or three years until Stepan and AA are ready for 20 mins a night

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
  #17
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Why keep Kotalik and move Avery? Why Sign Pyatt and not a player like Armstrong? Or retain CHristensen or Lisin?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
  #18
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Why keep Kotalik and move Avery? Why Sign Pyatt and not a player like Armstrong? Or retain CHristensen or Lisin?
I like Pyatt. A lot, so thats just personal preference. He's big, tough, can screen the net, and can pot double digit goals.

People are looking at the roster the wrong way. Its not that Pyatt is a first line player, its that Id like Kovalchuk and Gaborikto be on the ice at different times.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
  #19
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I like Pyatt. A lot, so thats just personal preference. He's big, tough, can screen the net, and can pot double digit goals.

People are looking at the roster the wrong way. Its not that Pyatt is a first line player, its that Id like Kovalchuk and Gaborikto be on the ice at different times.
Yeah, I would of course love to have Kovalchuk but I think some of the secondary players in your lineup would be the wrong players to retain. I would keep Lisin and Avery over Kotalik and wouldnt go for a Pyatt but more for an Armstrong who can play anywhere in the lineup and be the hard-nosed player any line needs like a Cally or Dubinsky.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
  #20
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
No, thanks. I was one of Kariya's biggest fans but the Rangers need to move past aquiring old overpriced players.

I counter with the next season plan of

Redden to HFD (-6.5 mil)
Higgins UFA (-2.25 mil)
Waive Avery (-2 mil)
Prospal UFA (-1.1 mil)
Trade Lisin for a pick
Aquire Pyatt.

Sign Kovalchuk (9.2 mil)
Callup Sauer(+.6 mil)
Sign cheap 7th dman (Dandenault, for example)
Call up Wiese

Then we have

Pyatt-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Callahan
Kotalik-Drury-Wiese
Byers-Boyle-Voros

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Gilroy
Girardi-Sauer

Lundqvist
Johnson

Am I missing anyone?
Waive Avery!?

Let me get this straight. You watch these games and somehow determine that Sean Avery, the only guy that seems to give a crap and put his heart on the line is on the list to get waived?

I'm all for going after Kovy but on a team of indifferent bums like Drury and Redden the last thing you need to do it remove any bit of grit and heart. This team needs to be harder to play against not easier.

The lack of scoring isn't just from a lack of scorers. It's from a lack of rugged line mates that can do the dirty work and open up the ice for the skilled players. This team is small, soft and lazy. Let's waive the guy who hustles every night and fights bigger players. Smart move.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
  #21
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
People getting hung up on the unimportant parts.

Okay, lets say we keep avery and somehow manage to get rid of Kotalik. The what do you think.

I think Pyatt could be the solution to our small winger problem. Our previous projects were Hall and Voros which both failed, its about time we did this right.

Avery is so ******* overrated its unbelievable.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
  #22
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,073
vCash: 500
Im skeptical of Avery and have been for a long time.

But at a 1.9 million dollar cap hit, Im pretty much convinced he should be part of the future.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
  #23
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well, good luck making a better roster without a rebuild, because I don't see it. Maybe thats why im not a gm.

We made the playoffs with Isbister as a first line winger.
Dubinsky is on pace for 56 points over a full year and maybe he could hit 60 over a full consistent season.

The bottom 6 is unavoidable. Drury and kotalik are not really tradeable. So we can only hop that since both of them are historic 20 goal scorers, it would be better than the leagues worst bottom 6.

Well I agree with the roster (minus Kovy) if we are rebuilding, b ut you have to factor in how much Gabby and Henrik will take if the team suffers for two more years. The last thing we need is for both of them to be unhappy and unsuccessful at the same time.

You also have to factor in where we finish this year. Getting a top-5 NHL ready 18-year-old isnt out of the question considering how poor we are playing.


Jokinen's stock has plummeted on a contract year. i wouldnt mind giving him a two-year deal under 4 million to experiment with Gabby on the wing.

Here's my 2011 team if we arent fully rebuilding:

Holmstrom-Jokinen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Lombardi-Callahan
Grachev-AA-Lisin
Avery-Drury-Byers

Staal-Sanguinetti
DZ-Roszival
Sauer-Gilroy


Redden, Voros, Kotalik all get banished, Prospal and Higgins traded at the 2010 deadline for picks, Girardi not tendered.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
  #24
bleedblue94
Registered User
 
bleedblue94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Kovalchuk can get $20 million tax free in the KHL. Unless the contract is DiPietro's length with the max contract value allowed, he's going to Russia. Heck, I wouldn't resist $20m tax free!
you dont think ovi couldve gotten that? or malkin? but where are they playing?

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
  #25
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Kovalchuk can get $20 million tax free in the KHL. Unless the contract is DiPietro's length with the max contract value allowed, he's going to Russia. Heck, I wouldn't resist $20m tax free!
I believe that was a false rumor. Also, i'm under the impression that it would be taxed. But I dont know, im not Russian.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.