HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #28

Old
01-27-2010, 12:22 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #28

EDMONTON 2

VS.

CHICAGO 4
-------------------------

Honestly I'm not sure there's much to say about tonight's game. 44 seconds in we're down 1-0 on a bad goal and you can see the team collectively say "here we go again".

For those that weren't there and might not have seen, when the Oilers scored, their players didn't even smile. They are so beyond getting excited by now. I suppose Ryan Potulny might've grinned because he knows he's securing a good shot at NHL work next year, but that's about it.

I haven't minded Pouliot's play since he came back one bit. Tonight again he skated well and dug some pucks out of corners. He also didn't give the puck away haphazardly. I suspect it's mainly because his soul hasn't been crushed just yet and here merely looks good by comparison, but it's good to see something.

After the first goal, Deslauriers made some really good stops from in close. Chicago wasn't taking idle shots, but Deslauriers was making the saves we weren't making last year when we got shellacked by this squad. Good for him anyway.

Visnovsky made some plays as usual. If you ever wonder why we should keep him, and why we attained him, take notice of the fact that he could get by Chicago's elite players by himself despite no support from his teammates. He's a special hockey player, we should all know that by now.

Great to see Fernando score a goal; even if it was hideous. The whole sequence was rather awkward.

I don't know at this stage whether it's a function of mentality, lack of talent, general ineptitude or what, but this team skates to the opposition blue line area and dumps it to the opposition more than any team I can recall. They probably give the puck away in a game like this 60 times in that style. They are never counted as giveaways I'm sure, but they should be. They are wastes as puck possession chances and successful teams in the modern game don't do it. Chicago controlled the puck when they entered and made great passes or held it until they were ready to do something. They are the "anti-shoot guy" persona. We are the "no clue" persona. Or the lazy, or the depressed. Maybe all of the above, I'm not sure.

The desperation you saw at the end was natural, but it was nothing special. Penner took too long and that's why Huet was able to rob him for what probably will be the highlight of the night. It never should have happened.

I must admit I hadn't watched Duncan Keith up close before. He is a truly amazing hockey player. He is the type of elite defenceman that seems to do everything well as opposed to having one specific skill. The puck is drawn to him, often because of positioning. In the defensive zone he's impeccable at getting in the proper defensive spot. He skates fluidly and unerraticly. He also passes with a subtlety that keeps the opposition guessing. This is a highly underrated asset. In addition to making him tricky, it makes him appear confident. He jumps into the play with ease as well. The guy is probably the best player on a Chicago team that has two of the best forwards in the league. That's really something.

Chicago also has an interesting line structure that is somewhat of a luxury. They don't have to load up and hope anyone carries more than their weight. They are balanced enough that they can space players throughout and never really be afraid on the ice.

For the record I think they coasted and knew they could. Still, they are an impressive squad. They should add one more forward for the run. And a defenceman in the Spacek mold. That oughta do it.

I'm not sure there's much more to say about the Oilers to be honest. I'm very much looking forward to Brule and Comrie returning to the lineup Thursday. Should improve entertainment quality at least.

And so we soldier on...I'm still open to gooning it up for the rest of the year.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I still say that Chi Town needs a goaltender. Maybe they make a pitch for Turco if the Stars fall out of it completely.

As far as Visnovsky goes, man, I'd love to keep him around but I also think that he'd be the easiest to move (not withstanding his cap hit) and he DESERVES a shot at a playoff run. It's ridiculous that he's never experienced one.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Im with you but even our goons suck.

How hostile was the crowd tonight? Was it any worse than some of the more recent games?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:31 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

How hostile was the crowd tonight? Was it any worse than some of the more recent games?
The booing is intensifying a little, but mainly we're just listless. Too numb to care at this stage. It hurts too much.

Old
01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

We need some hired goons.

Brennan first, then a defenceman goon, then after we move a forward, add another.

Old
01-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Thanks again for your dedication LMHF!

Duncan Keith is probably going to be the biggest steal from the draft for the last decade. I agree with you that he's a special kind of player. The pairing of him and Seabrook is one of the best in hockey. They just do the little things so well, and work perfectly together. There's a reason he's +21

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:37 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I still say that Chi Town needs a goaltender. Maybe they make a pitch for Turco if the Stars fall out of it completely.

As far as Visnovsky goes, man, I'd love to keep him around but I also think that he'd be the easiest to move (not withstanding his cap hit) and he DESERVES a shot at a playoff run. It's ridiculous that he's never experienced one.

Why do you think Chicago needs a goaltender? They have the second best goaltending in the league- statistically speaking

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post
Why do you think Chicago needs a goaltender? They have the second best goaltending in the league- statistically speaking
Their goaltending statistics are a by product of the fact that they own the puck for much of a hockey game. How many shots do they give up in a contest on average? 21?

The playoffs are a far different beast when compared to the regular season and ideally, they'd best have a goaltender that isn't susceptible to a questionable tally.

Old
01-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Niemi is 12th in sv% and Huet is 30th. How does that equate to second? Huet has played 38 games and Niemi 18. So the goalie with 30th sv% in the league is playing twice as much. That isnt good goaltending at all. You dont need to check the stats either you just need to watch a few Hawks games where they are dominating the other team and then all of a sudden a soft goal or two goes in against them. Its pretty deflating.

Old
01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
MrOiler

Thanks for the write-up LMHF. I also appreciate that you're keeping it somewhat positive. The season was over long ago. No sense wringing our hands or picking scabs.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I don't know at this stage whether it's a function of mentality, lack of talent, general ineptitude or what, but this team skates to the opposition blue line area and dumps it to the opposition more than any team I can recall. They probably give the puck away in a game like this 60 times in that style. They are never counted as giveaways I'm sure, but they should be. They are wastes as puck possession chances and successful teams in the modern game don't do it. Chicago controlled the puck when they entered and made great passes or held it until they were ready to do something. They are the "anti-shoot guy" persona. We are the "no clue" persona. Or the lazy, or the depressed. Maybe all of the above, I'm not sure.
Just wanted to add the Sharks are a team that dump the puck in almost every rush. Even jumbo Joe. I think it's a good, if pretty boring, strategy to at least start the games with and get the d to back off the blue.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Niemi is 12th in sv% and Huet is 30th. How does that equate to second? Huet has played 38 games and Niemi 18. So the goalie with 30th sv% in the league is playing twice as much. That isnt good goaltending at all. You dont need to check the stats either you just need to watch a few Hawks games where they are dominating the other team and then all of a sudden a soft goal or two goes in against them. Its pretty deflating.
I was looking at goals against. I've watched a ton of Hawks games and even attended some of their practices. This team is got to be the loosest team I've ever seen. They had lost to the sens- were practicing in Calgary- and watching them joke around you'd think they were on a 15 game winning streak- and not played their worst game of the year (according to the players). They don't get deflated by a bad goal- that's hilarious- they have the confidence to know they're going to score and make up for it. TEams that get deflated after a weak goal aren't at the top of their respective leagues.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:00 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Their goaltending statistics are a by product of the fact that they own the puck for much of a hockey game. How many shots do they give up in a contest on average? 21?

The playoffs are a far different beast when compared to the regular season and ideally, they'd best have a goaltender that isn't susceptible to a questionable tally.
Who was Detroit's superstar goalie again?

Old
01-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Who was Detroit's superstar goalie again?
Osgood is an aberration.

But hey, who saw Cam Ward coming in '06? Niemi might prove himself ready.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I was looking at goals against.
Thats more a product of team defense. If we are talking goalies, the standard is Sv%.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:07 AM
foshizzle

[QUOTE=I am the Liquor;23441882]Thats more a product of team defense. If we are talking goalies, the standard is Sv%.[/QUOTE

We were actually talking about Chicago's need for a goalie- they don't need one.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:09 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Osgood is an aberration.

But hey, who saw Cam Ward coming in '06? Niemi might prove himself ready.
Osgood isn't a high quality goalie- that's my point. Detroit won the cup due to the fact they had the puck most of the game, limited offensive chances- controlled the game- much like Chicago. Anyways, nothing to debate about- Chi Town is a damn good team!

Old
01-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
We were actually talking about Chicago's need for a goalie- they don't need one.
Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. If I was them I would want one, but maybe they have faith in Niemi to be that guy sooner than later. I have zero confidence in Huet, who seemed to be better with the Canadiens. It was your contention that they had statistically good goaltending, which they dont, and is what I took issue with.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Osgood isn't a high quality goalie- that's my point. Detroit won the cup due to the fact they had the puck most of the game, limited offensive chances- controlled the game- much like Chicago. Anyways, nothing to debate about- Chi Town is a damn good team!
Of course they're a damn good team but can they win a sizeable amount of the 16 necessary wins 3-2 or even 2-1 once the checking gets tight? I hope so. I'd hate to see, say the Canucks beat them this playoff season based on goaltending. The latter (unfortunately) seems like a much better team than last year.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Of course they're a damn good team but can they win a sizeable amount of the 16 necessary wins 3-2 or even 2-1 once the checking gets tight? I hope so. I'd hate to see, say the Canucks beat them this playoff season based on goaltending. The latter (unfortunately) seems like a much better team than last year.
Wasn't everyone saying the same when Detroit won the cup and went to the finals the year after? Chicago is far superior than Vancouver top to bottom, except goaltending- and Vancouver may beat them based on that alone (like the Oil did Detroit in our run). Chicago can also get a top tier goalie and still get beat. Luongo is one of the best in the world- and we won't know until the games will be played.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:53 AM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
That being said, come playoff time, Osgood was able to step up his game and make the saves when they needed them. His cup rings prove that. The playoffs are a different beast and I just don't feel Huet has it in him or Niemi for that matter.

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:18 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I'm still open to gooning it up for the rest of the year.
Sounds good to me but who are we going to use as goons ?
I have been horribly disappointed in Stortini this season - and I've been one of his biggest supporters on this board . It seems to me like some of the emotion has gone out of his game . He looks like a player who doesn't have a clue what he should be doing out there . How is this possible when he should be thriving under a coach like Quinn ?

I would like to see Stortini come out hitting every night . Hitting and crashing the crease are two things I've seen precious little of from anyone on the team this season .

imo there should be a $100 fine for every time a player has a chance to make a hit and bails on the play . I counted so many times in the game against the Hawks that an Oiler player just circled away from an opportunity to hit the opponent . If you do that you put money in the jar for the Stollery or Santas Anonymous or whatever . It is just gross to see decent sized guys play so weak . Horc , Grebs and Gilbert act like they're allergic to body contact . I'm not hoping to see anybody hurt or cheap-shotted but ffs when the guy is right there in the tracks then let him have it .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Fourier

Chicago may or not win it all, but if I am a season ticket holder and get to watch that squad play every night I've got nothing to complain about. And I agree about Duncan Keith.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:04 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
if i were the hawks, i would see if i could pick up roloson from nyi for cheap.... See what happens, ride the hot hand of the three even if it means having huet in the pb. Even go as far to trade huet, niemi has played better by far than huet anyways, so at works niemi becomes and stays the #1. IMO roloson would be good enough to do a cup run for chicago as long as their team plays reasonably well in front of him.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:04 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Chicago may or not win it all, but if I am a season ticket holder and get to watch that squad play every night I've got nothing to complain about. And I agree about Duncan Keith.
Proof that a proper tank job and management getting a brain can do wonders for an organization.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote