HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

tomorrows blueline

Old
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
That said it best...adequate...to me that translates to a Paul Mara type...which is around 1.7 - 2.2 million dollar player...not 5 million.

I rest my case.
Rozy is better than Mara and frankly I'm surprised to see that you don't hate Mara. Here we have a player that had a make-believe-reputation as a tough guy because he threw a couple of good checks a season, showed up once in a while and looked far meaner and tougher than he ever played.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Rozy is better than Mara and frankly I'm surprised to see that you don't hate Mara. Here we have a player that had a make-believe-reputation as a tough guy because he threw a couple of good checks a season, showed up once in a while and looked far meaner and tougher than he ever played.
I never said I liked Mara..he was adequate...just like Rozy and about 15 other players on the Rangers.

I just want to win and I don't believe Sather is the guy to lead us.

I know everyone thinks I just want a team of goons and that is not the case at all...but if I am the GM of the New York Rangers...then I use the blueprint of the 94 team...it is baffling to me that Sather doesn't see this.

That team had real leaders, real offensive talent, real grit and real goons.

This years addition could not be more the opposite if done on purpose.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
chosen

Quote:
I never said I liked Mara..he was adequate...just like Rozy and about 15 other players on the Rangers.

I just want to win and I don't believe Sather is the guy to lead us.

I know everyone thinks I just want a team of goons and that is not the case at all...but if I am the GM of the New York Rangers...then I use the blueprint of the 94 team...it is baffling to me that Sather doesn't see this.

That team had real leaders, real offensive talent, real grit and real goons.

This years addition could not be more the opposite if done on purpose.
We agree on Sather and the reason he doesn't see things is that he is an utter incompetent.

Old
01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Whoever thinks Rozsival 'sucks' should probably just stop watching the game of hockey. He's proven time and time again that he's a very capable NHL defensemen. Not suggesting he's worth his salary, because he's not. He definitely is overpaid for his capability's. That doesn't mean he sucks though. The only reason why the Rozsival haters are advocating a trade, is because they know he's good enough to be moved, despite his contract.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

If I had to pick my defense for next year, it'd go like this:

Del Zotto - Staal

Girardi - Kubina

Rozsival - Gilroy

I'd hate to let Girardi go, but it's time for Sangs to come up. And as for Kubina, he's a FA after this year; I'd sign him for two years, $7 mill. after trading Redden somewhere, somehow.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
ThirdEye

Mara and Prucha - probably the most overrated Rangers of the last 5 years

Rozsival has actually been playing amazingly well lately, but we can't score... so no one cares.

Still, he's getting up there in age and makes about $2 million more than he should. Not the end of the world, but I'm also sure it's not going to be the end of the world if he wasn't on the Rangers next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the Western Conference. I think he would fare pretty well there.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
We could spend 3 million on a guy just as good or better than him and then use two million to improve our offense.
It's one thing to say this, it's another to do it.

What $3M UFA are you signing with the expectation of leading the defense, logging the most TOI of anyone on the team and anchoring the #1PP unit? Brendan Witt? Jason Smith? I'm struggling to even think of any other '08 UFA d-men who tested the market and wound up around that number, nevermind one that actually fits the required role.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post

Del Zotto - Staal

Girardi - Kubina

Rozsival - Gilroy

I'd hate to let Girardi go, but it's time for Sangs to come up. And as for Kubina, he's a FA after this year; I'd sign him for two years, $7 mill. after trading Redden somewhere, somehow.
Rozsival and Kubina are similar. I don't want him but seeing his name gives me hope they can move Rozy

I am for moving Girardi for Meuller .........Bring up Sangs..........this team needs to just move towards the future

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im a little disappointed with Gilroy.

I know hes a rookie but its not like hes 19 he's 25.

His shot isnt anywhere near a good defensemans shot in this league.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post

Del Zotto - Staal

Girardi - Kubina

Rozsival - Gilroy

If its time for Sangs to come up, then why isnt he in the lineup???

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

He looks like he needs to get stronger. I think an offseason of knowing what he needs to work on will do him wonders. The guy just needs to fill out a little bit so he can battle a little bit more because his skating is very very good.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

I think most of us had slightly higher expectations out of Gilroy. He's shown a few flashes, but the hell with flashes. We need consistency.

Still, it's his first season in the big league. Playing in a system that nobody here really seems to understand. Despite his age, he's still pretty raw.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think this is the rationale to work off of

1. Redden is an albatross. No other team is going to take him and his contract unless they are also unloading a contract. Rangers are stuck with him.

2. Rozi actually has value. He isn't a part of any future for the club, so he should be dealt. The issue is for who or what.

3. Girardi is either exhausted, injured, unhappy or all 3. After watching his franchise player go with carcillo, I have lost all respect for him as a player. Yes Dan blocks shots well, finishes his checks, gets his shot on net but the blueline has to be much more physical. Girardi doesn't fit the bill from where I sit. He is the odd man out and is quite likely marketable. For who is the question ? If NYR cannot get a decent return for him then keep him. Dan needs to learn how to fight, his teams needs the grit. Note that Dan is RFA at season's end.

4. Gilroy should be kept. If NY doesn't keep him after signing him to the contract, you can forget about any future collegiate signing with NY any time in the near future. He is coach-able, good on his skates and a local kid. He is learning to play the hardest position in the NHL, the learning curve is immense. Patience required.

5. MDZ keeper
6. Staal keeper

Heikkinen, Sauer, Bobby S, Potter can and should all be rotating into the roster to give the other blueliners a breather.

so when all is said and done

Rozi is traded for an asset hopefully a forward.
Girardi is also traded for an asset hopefully a forward

Redden and Gilroy remain for the reasons I gave before
Staal and MDZ remain as the anchors

the other 4 come up for short stints, to get experience and further assessment to determine the makeup of next years blueline.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I think most of us had slightly higher expectations out of Gilroy. He's shown a few flashes, but the hell with flashes. We need consistency.
There was a comment from Torts in the GDT indicating that the schedule is taking its toll on DZ and Gilroy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Playing in a system that nobody here really seems to understand.
Could be a factor for everyone. The blue line strategy seems is worlds different than it was at the start of the season. The preparation for the opponent doesn't seem to be there at all. The 'Canes aren't a deep offensive team. The top pairing should have been draped all over Staal and Samsonov, nothing more. To me, it looked like some fairly basic positional defense being employed against guys who can have it their way with the kind of space and time they were given.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Could be a factor for everyone. The blue line strategy seems is worlds different than it was at the start of the season. The preparation for the opponent doesn't seem to be there at all. The 'Canes aren't a deep offensive team. The top pairing should have been draped all over Staal and Samsonov, nothing more. To me, it looked like some fairly basic positional defense being employed against guys who can have it their way with the kind of space and time they were given.
Agree a thousand percent with this. The sad part is I don't think the 'Canes really even took advantage. They didn't even play that well offensively. At times they looked tentative to take the space the Rangers were clearly giving them (which is probably a problem for them all season long). With the way the Rangers were playing defensively, Carolina could have a lot more chances.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think this is the rationale to work off of

1. Redden is an albatross. No other team is going to take him and his contract unless they are also unloading a contract. Rangers are stuck with him.

2. Rozi actually has value. He isn't a part of any future for the club, so he should be dealt. The issue is for who or what.

3. Girardi is either exhausted, injured, unhappy or all 3. After watching his franchise player go with carcillo, I have lost all respect for him as a player. Yes Dan blocks shots well, finishes his checks, gets his shot on net but the blueline has to be much more physical. Girardi doesn't fit the bill from where I sit. He is the odd man out and is quite likely marketable. For who is the question ? If NYR cannot get a decent return for him then keep him. Dan needs to learn how to fight, his teams needs the grit. Note that Dan is RFA at season's end.

4. Gilroy should be kept. If NY doesn't keep him after signing him to the contract, you can forget about any future collegiate signing with NY any time in the near future. He is coach-able, good on his skates and a local kid. He is learning to play the hardest position in the NHL, the learning curve is immense. Patience required.

5. MDZ keeper
6. Staal keeper

Heikkinen, Sauer, Bobby S, Potter can and should all be rotating into the roster to give the other blueliners a breather.

so when all is said and done

Rozi is traded for an asset hopefully a forward.
Girardi is also traded for an asset hopefully a forward

Redden and Gilroy remain for the reasons I gave before
Staal and MDZ remain as the anchors

the other 4 come up for short stints, to get experience and further assessment to determine the makeup of next years blueline.
My thoughts as well. This team is in dire need of a tough, gritty crease clearer and Girardi doesn't come close. Unless you consider hand shoves tough.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
4. Gilroy should be kept. If NY doesn't keep him after signing him to the contract, you can forget about any future collegiate signing with NY any time in the near future.
Whether to keep him or not is one thing but your stated consequences of letting him go is 100% untrue. It is irrelevant to future signings.

Old
01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
My thoughts as well. This team is in dire need of a tough, gritty crease clearer and Girardi doesn't come close. Unless you consider hand shoves tough.
I'd add big and mean. A big, tough, gritty, mean, crease clearer Dman. The one that will hold you accountable if you dare put a toe in the crease.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Orr Nightmare

Drury should be waived...guy is invisible and downplays losing streaks and wants to get away from the Garden.

Why Chris, Garden tough on you...it hurts your feelings...I hate him..he is so soft and has no skills.

Old
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Yep, I just dont see any way to go out and get that physical defender. They need help scoring which IMO comes first.
So lets go out and get forwards that can do that, strange idea, I know

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Drury should be waived...guy is invisible and downplays losing streaks and wants to get away from the Garden.

Why Chris, Garden tough on you...it hurts your feelings...I hate him..he is so soft and has no skills.
No Movement Clause.

But honestly, I totally didnt expect you to know that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
There was a comment from Torts in the GDT indicating that the schedule is taking its toll on DZ and Gilroy.
I knew that not having a spare defenseman would come back to haunt this team. Sather should have made that a priority over the summer, knowing that there were going to be 2 rookie defenseman on the team. Gambling on retreads like McLaren and Semenov are too much of a risk, Bouillon or Skoula would have been good options for a cheap 7th D.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No Movement Clause.

But honestly, I totally didnt expect you to know that.
Wow, you got me.

My point is that he sucks.

But I would expect you to think he is a good player.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Wow, you got me.

My point is that he sucks.

But I would expect you to think he is a good player.
He sucks at his salary, but yes he is a good hockey player without considering outside factors.

I know, I know, too bad he doesnt bust some heads out there...then he'd be awesome.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He sucks at his salary, but yes he is a good hockey player without considering outside factors.

I know, I know, too bad he doesnt bust some heads out there...then he'd be awesome.
Man, when are you going to wake up...what is he good at...killing penalties.

He is crying that he wants to get away from the Garden...why is that...because he has 19 points and makes 7.5 million....are his feelings hurt...great Captain.

We have a lot of negative stuff coming down on this team right now,” said Chris Drury, who also spoke about the need to “stay together…During the game, after the game, before the game, I think we have to do the best we can to stay together. We got into this little four-game skid together and we are going to get out of it together. It’s probably a good time to go on the road.”

Great leader and you are a great fan.