Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Nolan : The Real Story?

Old
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Sevren

vCash: 500
Ted Nolan : The Real Story?

So what the heck happened with Ted Nolan anyway? I don't remember in which thread that was because pretty much every thread ends up about the coach, the GM, or the goalies, but in one of them someone said he/she would like Ted Nolan to be the next coach, but that it wasn't going to happen because no GM would hire him anymore.

I remember back in the days when Nolan was fired from Buffalo, rumors were flying around because apparently something big happened and no GM would hire Nolan to show their support to Muckler. What really happened wasn't disclosed at that time and that was it.

Since Nolan coached for the Isles recently, I thought this was all over and forgotten but that comment in the other thread got me curious.

So I looked up Ted Nolan on Wikipedia, hoping to find something juicy there that had been disclosed since he was fired from Buffalo. But all that it says is that Nolan did not get along with Hasek, and that Hasek pushed a columnist at some point in the playoffs because he was pissed off at him (the columnist). The Sabres were eliminated by the Flyers shortly after and Hasek told Muckler he had to pick between him and Nolan. Muckler was fired, and the new GM offered Nolan an extension that he knew Nolan would refuse and Nolan was then replaced as well.

In 2006, after getting the Moncton Wildcats to the Memorial Cup, Nolan comes back with the Isles, who I think most people will agree is the worst managed team in the NHL. After the 2007-2008 season, Nolan was fired by Garth Snow, the last GM I would hire if I owned a NHL team.

All in all, his story doesn't stick out as being unusual and that leads me to the following questions :

1. What the heck happened so that no GM would want to hire this guy?

2. I'm not in favor of firing CJ, but if he had to be replaced, would you consider Ted Nolan as the next Boston Bruins coach?

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
FutureConsiderations

Just one quick point that is only tangentially related: Garth Snow has done a pretty good job of fixing things on the Island. Yes, the DiPietro contract was ridiculous, but depending on who you believe that was something in the works long before Snow took over. Outside of that he's made some very nice moves to make that team at least have a pulse despite having 3-4M tied up in Yashin.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
BoyntBergie

Not sure of the true story, and you likely won't get much but guesses for responses, but as this link states, these were the rumors. Specifically that he had an affair with Hasek's wife.

Rumours surfaced that Nolan was drunk at practices and that he was having affairs with players' wives. Nolan denied all of this and dismissed it as racist taunts. When Linden McIntyre first spoke to Ted Nolan in the fall of 2000, he was jobless, bitter and confused. And worse, he was losing his love for hockey.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
BoyntBergie

I also have to think there would be better candidates to replace CJ if he was let go than Nolan.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
StanJonathan*

Nolan became buddies with the owner and try to get Muckler fired and take his job that's why no one will hire

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Just one quick point that is only tangentially related: Garth Snow has done a pretty good job of fixing things on the Island. Yes, the DiPietro contract was ridiculous, but depending on who you believe that was something in the works long before Snow took over. Outside of that he's made some very nice moves to make that team at least have a pulse despite having 3-4M tied up in Yashin.
Milbury said the DiPietro signing was an ownership directive.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
ap3lovr

the man got an isles team that was a lottery team into the playoffs. He's gotten every ounce of juice out of the lemon everywhere he has coached. He will admit if you speak to him that he like all people has his demons, but he is a great role model for native people everywhere and I'll go to bat for him any day. I would want him to coach my team.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
He was having affairs with players' wives? I don't buy that. Thanks for the link though.

I guess what StanJonathan said could be the truth and it would somehow make sense. Then again if he became buddies with the owners, why would they allow him to be fired?

Thanks for the info regarding Garth Snow. I guess he isn't as bad of a GM as I thought he was, because yes I was referring to the DiPietro deal mostly. That being said, despite being better, they still won't make the playoffs. And one thing is sure, I don't think even a prime Scotty Bowman would have been able to do something good with the 2007-2008 Isles so I have a hard time seeing Nolan fired from that horrible team a failure.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
the man got an isles team that was a lottery team into the playoffs. He's gotten every ounce of juice out of the lemon everywhere he has coached. He will admit if you speak to him that he like all people has his demons, but he is a great role model for native people everywhere and I'll go to bat for him any day. I would want him to coach my team.
This is pretty much how I feel about him. Nice post! It's astounding what he did with that team.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
He was having affairs with players' wives? I don't buy that. Thanks for the link though.

I guess what StanJonathan said could be the truth and it would somehow make sense. Then again if he became buddies with the owners, why would they allow him to be fired?

Thanks for the info regarding Garth Snow. I guess he isn't as bad of a GM as I thought he was, because yes I was referring to the DiPietro deal mostly. That being said, despite being better, they still won't make the playoffs. And one thing is sure, I don't think even a prime Scotty Bowman would have been able to do something good with the 2007-2008 Isles so I have a hard time seeing Nolan fired from that horrible team a failure.
I certainly buy it...

This isn't the first time I heard of this...

I have a close friend who played hockey with his son, Brandon Nolan at the time in AAA, and infact he told me many years ago that this was the case... (forget how convo came up, but we were talking coaches and I brought up Nolan)... and my buddy said "You don't know, i thought everyone in the city here knew"...and just told me...

Apperently he slept with Dominak Hasek's wife, that was what I was told.

I hate to put things like he said, she said... but this is something I was told like 5 or more years ago, and it was from one of my best friends, who have no reason to make this up or say it to me.

And if you think about it... would it not make sense that maybe that is the reason NO GM goes near Nolan with a 10 foot pole??... Coach of year and never gets a job.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I certainly buy it...

This isn't the first time I heard of this...

I have a close friend who played hockey with his son, Brandon Nolan at the time in AAA, and infact he told me many years ago that this was the case... (forget how convo came up, but we were talking coaches and I brought up Nolan)... and my buddy said "You don't know, i thought everyone in the city here knew"...and just told me...

Apperently he slept with Dominak Hasek's wife, that was what I was told.

I hate to put things like he said, she said... but this is something I was told like 5 or more years ago, and it was from one of my best friends, who have no reason to make this up or say it to me.

And if you think about it... would it not make sense that maybe that is the reason NO GM goes near Nolan with a 10 foot pole??... Coach of year and never gets a job.
I could buy that he had an affair with one player's wife. I don't buy that he had multiple affairs with several players' wives. Or is he supposed to be so irresistible?

And something else had to happen so that no GM would hire him. Maybe, as StanJonathan said, he tried to get Muckler fired. Because really it's probably not the first time that a player or a coach has an affair with another player's wife. Just look at the recent rumors with Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell. That wouldn't stop most GMs from picking up Carter if he was available.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Whatever the case may be. There is a reason why he's been - for lack of a better word - blackballed. It has to be something beyond the normal scope of things.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
I could buy that he had an affair with one player's wife. I don't buy that he had multiple affairs with several players' wives. Or is he supposed to be so irresistible?

And something else had to happen so that no GM would hire him. Maybe, as StanJonathan said, he tried to get Muckler fired. Because really it's probably not the first time that a player or a coach has an affair with another player's wife. Just look at the recent rumors with Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell. That wouldn't stop most GMs from picking up Carter if he was available.
Ya, I never heard multiple, I am pretty sure it was just Hasek's, well that was what I was told anyways.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Well, that's just good hands on coaching, if you ask me...

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Greyhounds

Nolan did a great job with the Sault Greyhounds, where he started coaching. He is not an X & O's guy. Instead he relies on his right hand man, Dan Flynn, who always comes with him, whether it's NHL or Moncton.

Nolan has vehemently denied the Buffalo rumors. I don't know if they are true or not, but tend to believe him.

As I understand it, he was let go in Long Island, because he wanted to keep the vets, whereas ownership wanted to turn the corner and go with youth. I think ownership had it right.

Nolan's a good coach, but I think Julien is better.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Nolan is a GM killer he has his own agenda and goes with it.

He would still have a job with the Isles if he would have let their young prospects play but he didn't listen to the GM and kept playing vets like Guerin who were going to get traded anyways.

Yea he gets a lot out of his players but at what expense? Not listening to the GM's wishes? I wouldn't hire him.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

I have no info, but just wanted to say that simply hearing a story from five different people doesn't mean it's true. That's called a rumour. That's how they travel - they spread from person to person like an infection. "Hey, did you hear about...?" "Yeah, that's what so-and-so told me, too" "Must be true then".

Might be true. Might not.

I would find a little hard to believe that in the world of professional hockey and the NHL, Ted Nolan would be the first and last to ever have had an affair with someone else's wife/GF - and he therefore became un-hirable. Something tells me if that was the main reason for people becoming un-hirable, there would be a lot more un-hirable people around the league. Just basing that on human nature and experience.

Quote:
Yea he gets a lot out of his players but at what expense? Not listening to the GM's wishes? I wouldn't hire him.
A GM that overrules a coach who knows how to get his teams to win? I'd say that's a GM that should learn to let his coach coach.

Last edited by HumBucker: 01-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
StanJonathan*

Here's some info sound like a little of both, but i still think it goes back to nolan getting Muckler fired a coach getting a GM fired. So as a GM why would you hire a back stabbing coach

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/tednolan.html

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
BruinsGod II

I played junior hockey with and was at one point good friends with a Sabres player during the Muckler era..

I was told, and take this with slightly more than a grain of salt .. Although there were many issues between Muckler and Nolan the breaking point/straw-camels back moment involved Nolan - a body function and Mucklers desk ..

Thats all ill say..

BruinsGod II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGod II View Post
I played junior hockey with and was at one point good friends with a Sabres player during the Muckler era..

I was told, and take this with slightly more than a grain of salt .. Although there were many issues between Muckler and Nolan the breaking point/straw-camels back moment involved Nolan - a body function and Mucklers desk ..

Thats all ill say..
Wait, let me get this straight.

Hypothetical Coach A has problem with hypothetical GM B. Hypothetical Coach A decides most appropriate means of conveying the depths of his ire is to take a hypothetical dump on hypothetical GM B's hypothetical desk????

That's funny. Doesn't matter whether it's true or not..... it's just plain funny.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumBucker View Post

A GM that overrules a coach who knows how to get his teams to win? I'd say that's a GM that should learn to let his coach coach.
So if the GM makes a decision that he wants his young players to play, tank the season, and regroup for the future. The coach doesn't listen and continues to play vets and doesn't help the young players develope. I would fire the coach to. Thats what happened to Nolan on Long Island. I would be very weary as GM to hire him knowing he did that.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
So if the GM makes a decision that he wants his young players to play, tank the season, and regroup for the future. The coach doesn't listen and continues to play vets and doesn't help the young players develope. I would fire the coach to. Thats what happened to Nolan on Long Island. I would be very weary as GM to hire him knowing he did that.

The impression I always got from Nolan was that he thought he was the smartest guy in the room, and no one else could ever be right. The way he carried himself struck me as eerily similar to how Steve Kaspar was during his time as the Bruins coach. Sometimes being an effective coach means you have to trust and rely on your supporting staff (and boss) which is something Nolan wouldn't do.

Old
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Mount KilimanChara

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumBucker View Post
I have no info, but just wanted to say that simply hearing a story from five different people doesn't mean it's true. That's called a rumour. That's how they travel - they spread from person to person like an infection. "Hey, did you hear about...?" "Yeah, that's what so-and-so told me, too" "Must be true then".

Might be true. Might not.

I would find a little hard to believe that in the world of professional hockey and the NHL, Ted Nolan would be the first and last to ever have had an affair with someone else's wife/GF - and he therefore became un-hirable. Something tells me if that was the main reason for people becoming un-hirable, there would be a lot more un-hirable people around the league. Just basing that on human nature and experience.

Rumor is insidious, that's for sure.

I think your reasoning here is solid. However maybe there are more and I just don't know who they are?

Nolan's teams certainly play pretty good hockey. He'll probably get another chance to coach in the NHL but since he isn't coaching right now I doubt it is going to happen real soon.

Mount KilimanChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGod II View Post

Thats all ill say..
I heard Muckler sneezed one time, and Nolan didn't say bless you...

Old
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Actually, it was my comments that were being quoted in the original OP. What made me say it was seeing Rob Ray and Matthew Barnaby on TSN's Off the Record. They were asked if Ted Nolan should be back in the NHL and both of them immediately said no. That surprised me and showed just how difficult it would be for Nolan to ever coach again. If Matthew Barnaby no longer thinks that Nolan should coach in the NHL, that tells you something. Barnaby was the one who said he was going to run Hasek the first day of training camp for his role in getting Nolan fired (well, not fired...insulted by being offered a one-year contract). I don't believe any garbage rumors about him sleeping with Hasek's wife or drinking or any other crap. There's also rumors that Hasek slept with Nolan's wife and a bunch of other garbage. If you knew that a coach had slept with a player's wife, would you not support that coach anymore? Would you actually threaten to run the player whose wife you supposedly slept with? That's pure crap. There's no way that you would have a player name their kid after you if you had that kind of character. I can't remember which player it was who named his son Nolan out of respect for him. Would you name your kid after an alcholic womanizer? Nolan was a coach loved by most of his players and consistently got a lot out of mediocre teams.

As for what happened with the Islanders, Wang hired Nolan and Neil Smith himself...and fired Smith 41 days later when he hired Garth Snow (Smith and Nolan had some minor disagreements, but there may have been some impression that Nolan helped get Smith ousted). In Nolan's last year as coach, he made some veiled criticisms of Snow, things like "you do what you can with the players you have" and stuff like that. Nolan and Snow had some disagreements about the direction of the team, but the last straw probably came when the Islanders traded back twice to pick Josh Bailey (who played with Nolan's son) and never once consulted with Nolan. At that point, it looked like Nolan was out of the loop and had only one year left on his contract and no negotiations for an extension. It seemed pretty clear that he was on the outs with the organization.

So, back to why Barnaby said that Nolan shouldn't coach in the NHL, it goes back to Nolan's temperment, which is what Barnaby said as the reason. He's not a yes man. He did get John Muckler fired (and made an enemy with someone firmly in the NHL's old boys' network). Then, he made veiled criticisms of his next GM. No other GM is going to hire someone like that. Nolan always wants to have a strong say in the organization, so, as good as a coach as he is, he's probably better suited for going into management...as he has done with Rochester.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote