HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs might have cap discussions thread.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
If Gus is willing to sign a 5 year deal I'm sure he'd look for a little more then $2.5million. That means he'll be the number one guy. Would he and his agent take the risk of $2.5 and he may end up in year 3 being a top 3 goalie in the league possibly??? I don't think so. Your not paying him for right now your paying him for what he maybe in 2 or 3 years. So $3.5 maybe the number if not a little higher. Considering that Burke likes him and says he wants him whats that means you can add some money because of that as well. Your willing to pay to keep him.

Burke put to much effort into getting him to let him walkout the door.
i agree with that.. but judging by my numbers im now convinced we can afford that haha

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:01 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
i agree with that.. but judging by my numbers im now convinced we can afford that haha
Look for Jonas deal to be between $3-4.5 million. We know players get over paid...so that's where the $4.5 comes in. For TML sake don't hope he goes on a roll and win his last 20 starts and puts up stupid GAA and SV% numbers... Then your looking $5.5+

If Burkes dumps salary signing White and Gus aren't a problem. It's now a matter of attraction FA's.

Marleau signing maybe only way it'll happen is if Wilson gets canned.

JL17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
mydnyte

With this list of UFA/RFA goalies available, I dont think we'll be in a position to overpay for a #1 goalie ...personally, I'd try to get 2, and Lehtonen if healthy can be the best of them, and he'd be looking at a serious pay cut, and a great choice as #2 to Gustavson.

Rinne/Ellis would be tied for #1 on the want list

UFA's

Hiller, Jonas 27 ANA $1,300,000
Ellis, Dan 29 NAS $1,750,000
Rinne, Pekka 27 NAS $725,000

RFA's
Lehtonen, Kari 26 ATL $3,000,000
Pavelec, Ondrej 22 ATL $1,433,333
Harding, Josh 25 MIN $1,100,000
Price, Carey 22 MTL $2,200,000
Halak, Jaroslav 24 MTL $775,000
Gustavsson, Jonas 25 TOR $2,500,000
Schneider, Cory 23 VAN $1,084,200

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
I heard him today on HockeyCentral @ Noon. He said Gus could get up to 5 years @ 3-million. He's ****ing insane if he (Maclean) thinks he's worth that much. Gus clearly has talent and everything, but he's still 25 and hasn't played all that exceptional, definitely not enough to warrant that many years and that much money after one season.

Gus is good, but I wouldn't give him more than 5-million over 2 years ($2.5-million hit). More than that is reckless.
Gus at 5 years $3 000 000 could be a steal in 2-4 years. It's all about how Burke and the posse see him. If they think he's legit, sign him. Worst case scenario they pay him to play back home. I think Rask is a comparable, except that Gus was a UFA last year and chose Toronto, and I think BB will show him the appreciation for that.

Remember on a 2 year deal, he will be UFA at the end of it, and could ask for a huge raise if he is legit. I see them spending $6 000 000 on goalies next year, so there are decent decent alternatives at that money to play with him.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Mogwai

Quote:
Look for Jonas deal to be between $3-4.5 million. We know players get over paid...so that's where the $4.5 comes in. For TML sake don't hope he goes on a roll and win his last 20 starts and puts up stupid GAA and SV% numbers... Then your looking $5.5+

If Burkes dumps salary signing White and Gus aren't a problem. It's now a matter of attraction FA's.

Thats a win-win.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

The cap problem they may have is, you can only exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, so if you want to bury money in the minors, they still count until they get sent down.

That is a minor problem though. My feeling is Blake will be traded at the deadline, and Finger will get bought out and cost $1.2 million for 4 years. That's enough to pay for the raises, and the other exiting cap hits will pay for the upgrades. I can also see one of Hagman or Grabs gone next year.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Adversary

Quote:

Walk away from that deal fast!

You may be used to paying 4.5 for the worst goalie statwise in the league, that doesn't mean a marginally better statistically speaking goalie just make a little less.

Gust has earned 2.0 to 2.5 for a short term contract. 1-3 years. You don't sign him for 4 or 5 years and you don't even go close to 3.5 or 4.5 million.

In your previous post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17
Your not paying him for right now your paying him for what he maybe in 2 or 3 years. So $3.5 maybe the number if not a little higher.
This is totally backwards. You pay him for what he has shown he can do, not what you hope he can do. Signing players to contracts like that sink teams fast!

You never, never, never pay someone for what he maybe in 2 or 3 years that's cap suicide!

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
ukleafsfan

If White wants 2.5m then id be really pleased to pay him that !

I dont think Gustavsson has done enough to prove hes worth a big contract, I think 2.5 is fair 3m at the very most if hes considered a long term solution, i cant believe some people are saying 4.5M+ ?? no way !!

ukleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
The cap problem they may have is, you can only exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, so if you want to bury money in the minors, they still count until they get sent down.

That is a minor problem though. My feeling is Blake will be traded at the deadline, and Finger will get bought out and cost $1.2 million for 4 years. That's enough to pay for the raises, and the other exiting cap hits will pay for the upgrades. I can also see one of Hagman or Grabs gone next year.
Buying out players should be a last resort, and the leafs are not there yet. There is no need to buyout Finger or Blake as doing so would be more of a detriment to the team then a bonus.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Walk away from that deal fast!

You may be used to paying 4.5 for the worst goalie statwise in the league, that doesn't mean a marginally better statistically speaking goalie just make a little less.

Gust has earned 2.0 to 2.5 for a short term contract. 1-3 years. You don't sign him for 4 or 5 years and you don't even go close to 3.5 or 4.5 million.

In your previous post,

This is totally backwards. You pay him for what he has shown he can do, not what you hope he can do. Signing players to contracts like that sink teams fast!
You never, never, never pay someone for what he maybe in 2 or 3 years that's cap suicide!
It is cap suicide but Burke know's how to back himself against the wall when it comes to cap situations. Like I said though if Jonas rattles off a mind boggling post Olympic schedule then you can see that number climb. Remember the season isn't done yet and things can still happen. He could end up in his last 20 starts going 2-18 and having a 4+ GAA and a .850 sv%.

The bolded part happens all the time. Look at Ryder in Boston...there is plenty of contracts like that in the league so it does happen.

Right now if I were signing Jonas at what I've seen 3 years $3million. Maybe two to years to see where he gets to and the team and go from there. This is an odd signing because it's a FA goaltender with only one year in the league who's had success elsewhere.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Buying out players should be a last resort, and the leafs are not there yet. There is no need to buyout Finger or Blake as doing so would be more of a detriment to the team then a bonus.
I think BB will buy out Finger instead of burying him in the minors because I believe he thinks he should not punish Finger because someone paid him too much for too long. The other option is re-entry, but I think he will buy him out and let him be free July 1st.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I actually sat with Burkey during the 2nd period last night. He said Finger's absolutely untradable. Burying him in the minors when needed is the only option for him.
Dave Nonis, everybody!

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Look for Jonas deal to be between $3-4.5 million..
What is your precedent? Tuukka Rask just signed his second contract for two years and $1.25 million average per year.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I think that is part of the equation, but you need to get paid based on what you will do. That's why coaches and GM's and their staff are hockey experts. They are paid to project what a guy will do.

There are way too many players paid based on one season, or 2 seasons, but what's important next year is that you earn your salary.

Saying that, he is a rookie and an RFA, and I think $3.5-4 is excessive, but I think he will get $2 500 000- $3 000 000.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What is your precedent? Tuukka Rask just signed his second contract for two years and $1.25 million average per year.
I think the two should be comparable, but BB will reward Gus for choosing Toronto last summer.

Old
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yes but Tim Thomas is ahead of him. Jonas maybe the future of Toronto goaltending with no one infront of him at the moment. That equals increased money in talks. Plus Rask is still a UFA and knows he's not going anywhere.

I guess you didn't read where I said players get over paid these days.

I'm just saying what might happen. I would give him $3 mill max right now.

Last edited by JL17: 01-27-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old
Andrew Mack

Gustavsson will not be signed for anywhere near $4M @ 5 years. There is no way Burke does that.

The Monster will probably get a two-year deal at ~2M per. I'd be shocked if it is higher than that and severely dissappointed. If he wants $4M, shop around for an offer sheet.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I think BB will buy out Finger instead of burying him in the minors because I believe he thinks he should not punish Finger because someone paid him too much for too long. The other option is re-entry, but I think he will buy him out and let him be free July 1st.
I wouldnt want to buy him out...we'd have to pay off that thing for 6? years I believe. Honestly, if theres nothing out there, bury him, re-entry him, or just suck it up with him as #6/7 defenceman for at least one more year. He might buy him out...but what would that look like on the cap?

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:34 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Dave Nonis, everybody!

Nonis wasn't there. It was Fletch, Burke and another guy I can't remember his name.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
He can't walk. He's an RFA. No one is going to offer him 3-4 mil and if they did, Burke would take the picks.

Is Gustavsson eligible for salary arbitration? Rask is a pretty good comparable and he will make $1.25M for the next 2 seasons.
Really? you would let Gust or White walk for a measly 2nd rounder each?

If either Gust, White, Kuli decide to check out the RFA market their compensation to the leafs is only one 2nd rnd pick per if they don't top $3,013,000 m per year.

Kuli will end with about $ 2.25m per, 3/4 years. Gust $2.75- 3.25m per ,3/4 years.

White $ 3.10- 3.25 per ,3/4 years

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
DevinH2004

If we bought out Finger at the end of this year it would be 1.75 Million for fours years. It would coincide perfectly with Tucker's 1 million for the next four. So that would be 2.75 million in buyouts for four years.

DevinH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Down Goes Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
10 over 4 for White is reasonable
It would actually be a ridiculously good deal for the Leafs.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Nonis wasn't there. It was Fletch, Burke and another guy I can't remember his name.
Poulin?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:38 PM
cosmicnavigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymack1986 View Post
Gustavsson will not be signed for anywhere near $4M @ 5 years. There is no way Burke does that.

The Monster will probably get a two-year deal at ~2M per. I'd be shocked if it is higher than that and severely dissappointed. If he wants $4M, shop around for an offer sheet.
Yeah i agree with you i think 1,9mil on a two year deal. He havent played better to warrant a better deal.

Look at Andersson in Colorado or Mike Smith for Tampa Bay you dont get more if you dont play like an elite goaltender.

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
JL17

Don't forget right now with bonuses included Jonas is a $2.5 mil cap hit.