HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LeBrun: B's in on Kovalchuk/Chia admits NO dealing TO 1st 2010

Old
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Jonas1235

vCash: 500
A deal for Kovalchu will likely be conditional on him signing with his new team before July 1st.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
While Chiarelli refused to discuss any specific names, another NHL source told ESPN.com the Bruins are very much in the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes along with Los Angeles, in particular. While Vancouver, Philadelphia and Chicago also have reported interest, it appears the Bruins and Kings are the front-runners at this point.

But will anyone pay the price? The Thrashers, I'm told, are looking for a package that includes a first-round pick, a prospect and a player from their NHL roster. Kovalchuk is an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Trading Kovy to BOS is more complex than trading him to LAK because the trade would have to work cap-wise both this season and next (if he is to be more than a rental), where as LA has no issues fitting Kovy in this season -- they'd just need to make enough room to fit him in for next season. With that in mind:

To LAK
W Kovalchuk ($6.4M, pending UFA)
C Antropov ($4M, '11 UFA)
Total: $10.4M

To ATL
C Stoll ($3.43M, '12 UFA)
W Williams ($3.5M, '11 UFA, LTIR)
F Schenn (pending ELC)
1st Rndr 2011
2nd Rndr 2010
Total: $6.93M

To BOS
W Kovalchuk, Ilya ($6.4M, pending UFA)
W Afinogenov, Maxim ($0.8M, pending UFA)
Total: $7.4M

To ATL
W Sturm, Marco ($3.5M, '11 UFA)
W Ryder, Michael ($4M, '11 UFA)
F Colborne (pending ELC)
1st Rndr 2010 (BOS)
2nd Rndr 2011
Total: $7.5M

And if BOS wanted to create enough space for next season to re-sign Kovy, here is an additional d-men swap with ATL that would allow for that:

To BOS
D Kubina, Pavel ($5M, pending UFA)
D Schubert, Christoph ($0.44M, pending UFA)
Total: $5.44M

To ATL
D Wideman, Dennis ($3.875M, '12 UFA)
D Hunwick, Matt ($1.45M, '11 RFA)
Total: $5.33M

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 01-27-2010 at 05:17 PM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pantera7 View Post
...and because he's a bad player.
Now, I'm not doubting that Atlanta has a rabid and loyal fanbase, but you're not helping your cause with your assessment of Wheeler. This kid has looked better and better with a serious attitude change. He has some things to learn, but he is going to be a really good player. He has hands, size and speed. The only 2 things he needs to work on are his skating and using the body.

I'm not trying to "sell" you on Wheeler, because frankly, it doesn't matter what I or you think. I'm just trying to clear up the misconception that the kid is a whiner/not a good player. He's changed a lot since the whole Phoenix fiasco.

Edit* Found out that you're not an Atlanta fan...Oops. My mistake, but what I wrote does go for any Atlanta fan who shares your sentiment.

Last edited by Boston BROin: 01-27-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Boston BROin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
The Thrashers will trade Kovalchuk for much less than your fans base think. Absolutely no one will give up a lot, unless for a signed Kovalchuk, what definetely not gonna happen.
This. I think the only team that might IMO overpay for his services would be the Hawks. Simply because they have to move salary down the road regardless.

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Trading Kovy to BOS is more complex than trading him to LAK because the trade would have to work cap-wise both this season and next (if he is to be more than a rental), where as LA has no issues fitting Kovy in this season -- they'd just need to make enough room to fit him in for next season. With that in mind:

To LAK
W Kovalchuk ($6.4M, pending UFA)
C Antropov ($4M, '11 UFA)

To ATL
C Stoll ($3.43M, '12 UFA)
W Williams ($3.5M, '11 UFA, LTIR)
F Schenn (pending ELC)
1st Rndr 2011
2nd Rndr 2010

To BOS
W Kovalchuk, Ilya $6.4 pending UFA
W Afinogenov, Maxim $0.8 pending UFA
Total: $7.4M

To ATL
W Sturm, Marco ($3.5 '11 UFA)
W Ryder, Michael ($4 '11 UFA)
F Colborne (pending ELC)
BOS 1st Rndr 2010
TOR 2nd Rndr
Total: $7.5M

And if BOS wanted to create enough space for next season to re-sign Kovy, here is an additional d-men swap with ATL that would allow for that:

To BOS
D Kubina, Pavel ($5 pending UFA)
D Schubert, Christoph ($0.4415 pending UFA)
Total: $5.44M

To ATL
D Wideman, Dennis ($3.875 x multiple years)
D Hunwick, Matt ($1.45 x multiple years)
Total: $5.33M
Fixed

Assuming that Chia is on the run for Kovalchuk, if necessary, we can put Ryder on waivers, for instance. Probably nobody will claim him, this way we would have $4M out of the books, so we don't have many problems as you claimed.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Fixed

Assuming that Chia is on the run for Kovalchuk, if necessary, we can put Ryder on waivers, for instance. Probably nobody will claim him, this way we would have $4M out of the books, so we don't have many problems as you claimed.
Theoretically every team in the league could dump players into the minors to make room for a trade.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater13 View Post
This. I think the only team that might IMO overpay for his services would be the Hawks. Simply because they have to move salary down the road regardless.
This is how I see it going down as well. Trading him to Chi is sort of a win-win for both teams.

Atlanta can get some legitimate NHL talent back (some combination of Barker/Versteeg/Bfuglien/Ladd/etc), some picks, and some prospects.

Chicago would instantly fix their cap issues for next year, they'd get a premier sniper that would make them prohibitive Cup favorites, and everyone is happy.

It might not be Chicago in the end, but as far as being trading partners, both teams would benefit large from making a move...especially if Atlanta is hoping to get some legitimate NHL talent back.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:25 PM
NinthSpoke06

You would think an article like this would stop the "TOR 1st to (insert favorite team here)" stuff. But we all know that it won't.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Every Boston proposal i saw included Wheeler. We DO NOT want him. It's not because he's a bad player, just because he would cry like a baby because he's playing in Atlanta.

Unless your giving up Krejci i'll pass. We will EASILY get a better offer.

Love how people try to hose us because it's Atlanta.
Or maybe it's because you have an impending UFA who could walk away with Atlanta receiving nothing for him?

GM's wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't squeeze some heads and get the best deal possible.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the fact that the team is located in Atlanta.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Zal

Quote:
Fixed

I'm confident that Schenn will be one of the prospects that Lombardi won't be willing to give up.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
catters078

from what i can gather from all these kovalchuk rumours, most fans on here want kovy but arent prepared to give up what a talent like that merits..despite his rental status..

you have to give to get in this league...if you want one of the top 10 players in the league added to your team for a stanley cup run, be prepared to give..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
from what i can gather from all these kovalchuk rumours, most fans on here want kovy but arent prepared to give up what a talent like that merits..despite his rental status..

you have to give to get in this league...if you want one of the top 10 players in the league added to your team for a stanley cup run, be prepared to give..
But, you have to look at it from Atlanta's perspective. They have to trade him, make no bones about it. They are decreasing his value by not letting the other team negotiate with him first. His value instantly plummets with other teams knowing that Atlanta has to trade him, and they can't negotiate a long term deal.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

I could see Krejci realistically being moved for him...they love him and are happy with his signing but that is a player who would set up Kane night in and night out...

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
The more i read, the more i think Boston, Calgary or he plays out the season in ATL
Why do people think Kovy is coming to Calgary? The only way he is coming to Calgary is if Charelli gets Sutter drunk and convinces him Kovalchuk is from Vegreville (Or anywhere else in northern Alberta).

Here's a Map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sou...ed=0CA4Q8gEwAA

Last edited by Mike Jones: 01-27-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Why do people think Kovy is coming to Calgary? The only way he is coming to Calgary is if Charelli gets Sutter drunk and convinces him Kovalchuk is from Vegreville (Or anywhere else in northern Alberta).

Here's a Map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sou...ed=0CA4Q8gEwAA
I agree. I think Calgary is going to be more desperate to add a center who can make plays and get Iginla the puck, rather than find another winger who is looking to have a playmaker set him up.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:37 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Honestly, the only teams that seem like a good fit for Kovy to me are the Kings and the Bruins.

I wouldn't be too surprised if due to Kovy's contract demands and possibility of leaving for the KHL, the Thrashers end up unable to move him.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:42 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Honestly, the only teams that seem like a good fit for Kovy to me are the Kings and the Bruins.

I wouldn't be too surprised if due to Kovy's contract demands and possibility of leaving for the KHL, the Thrashers end up unable to move him.
When a star player leaves for the KHL in his prime then I'll start taking those words seriously. Everyone says it but it's always baseless.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Has Kovalchuk been linked to all 30 teams yet? Carolina is missing? Damn those lazy reporters in Raleigh.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:35 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
When a star player leaves for the KHL in his prime then I'll start taking those words seriously. Everyone says it but it's always baseless.
Radulov? Maybe not a star but certainly a budding one.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to happen but with the type of money they're throwing around over there, you can't dismiss it entirely. Add to that the chance to play at home. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him for it if he did choose to go home. I would be surprised if some GM's weren't a little nervous about it.

Old
01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Custance had this on Twitter yesterday:

Quote:
Being told today that the Bruins, not the Kings, have been the most aggressive in their pursuit of Ilya Kovalchuk. Canucks also in mix.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Savard and Kovalchuk have pre-existing chemistry. It makes sense if the price is right.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Every Boston proposal i saw included Wheeler. We DO NOT want him. It's not because he's a bad player, just because he would cry like a baby because he's playing in Atlanta.

Unless your giving up Krejci i'll pass. We will EASILY get a better offer.

Love how people try to hose us because it's Atlanta.
naaa. i think people try to'hose' ya becuase of dumb ass comments like that.

crap in, crap out.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:00 AM
K-PAX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
naaa. i think people try to'hose' ya becuase of dumb ass comments like that.

crap in, crap out.
woah what makes you think wheels wouldnt cry like a baby like he did in pho

atlanta and boston are two very different franchises. well neither wins, but other than that fanbase/organization/future are all in favor of boston. i think its def possible wheeler sulks in atlanta

i also wouldnt be surprised if kovalchuk is not moved and signs with the khl. hes a rental and la/bos are not going deep in the playoffs with or without him

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
MatthewT

Bob Mckenzie brought up a good point last night that Atlanta should consider moving him before the Olympics incase he gets hurt.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Atlanta has a tough schedule before the Olympics, they'll probably move him during the days off from Feb 7 to Feb 9th before the final three road games vs. Avs, Wilds, and Blackhawks.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote