HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

asking price for Halak?

Old
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
TomWaits

vCash: 500
asking price for Halak?

Just curious what his value would be? Do the leafs have anything of interest?

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
HawksTillDeath

for price or halak?

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
catters078

lol nice pun OP i think halak's "price" is going through the roof as he is IMO the teams number 1...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits View Post
Gainey will surprise you at times. Chances are he will move Halak for a 2nd and Stajan. I wouldn't mind you. But he probably would

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Gainey wanted Carter from the Flyers earlier this season. Apparently Carey Price isn't the only generational talent that Montreal has in nets.

People said Gainey was crazy. I say he was crazy like a fox on that one. I don't believe he wanted to trade Halak for a second.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:41 AM
GNick42

To Tom Waits or any Leafs fan -

Halak for Colton Orr and Ian White?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:55 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
To Tom Waits or any Leafs fan -

Halak for Colton Orr and Ian White?
Gah no. I rather keep Halak here then give him to a division rival for that.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:43 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I'm honestly more interested in trading Price. Halak is slightly older but it more mature. Talentwise, I see them as equals. The only difference is that Price was drafted Top 5 and Halak came out of nowhere. I would imagine that based on potential, the return for Price would be considerable more than Halak

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:52 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits View Post
Jonas Gustavsson says hi

We dont need Halak enough to pay the price he will cost.

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Price is to Jesus as Halak is to Moses.......

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Le Rosbeef

If the Sharks are cap-forced into abandoning Nabokov next year, I'd have interest in Halak for certain.

As such, I'd love to know what Habs fans think he'll re-sign for $$$wise next season.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Jonas Gustavsson says hi

We dont need Halak enough to pay the price he will cost.
Yea but...... Jonas Gustavsson suck.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
Price is to Jesus as Halak is to Moses.......
no,no,no...... Halak is Allah

Metropolit is Moses

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm not confident about what Gainey's price will be. He has built up so much momentum behind Price that I could see him moving Halak at "market value" just to open up more room for Price. (Where "market value" is very low in general for goalies and is roughly a high 2nd pick or maybe a decent middle-lineup player).

I wouldn't give up Halak for any pick short of a top-10 one. I wouldn't trade him for anything short of a top-4 forward or top-2 defenseman. Because he's already bringing that kind of impact to us on the ice. I don't see any of those trade opportunities materializing, mind you. And as a consequence I'd be very content to just keep him. Try to sign him to a 3-year deal for around $5-6M, and let him continue to battle with Price. Who knows if Halak would be amenable to that or not. But my default plan would be to include Halak in my short-medium range roster forecast.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
As such, I'd love to know what Habs fans think he'll re-sign for $$$wise next season.
This is a good question...right now my best guess would be something in the 3 million range. My fear is that he will be closer to LeClaire/Bryzgalov/Toskala range of 4 million per.

As for the Leafs...i'm not sure that Gainey would want to be trading Halak to a rival like Toronto. Grabovski was one thing...but Halak, if moved, could be the type to seriously bite us in the ass all year long.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
This is a good question...right now my best guess would be something in the 3 million range. My fear is that he will be closer to LeClaire/Bryzgalov/Toskala range of 4 million per.
I can't see him getting that kind of money as an unproven RFA. He won't have conclusively shown himself to be a starter yet. Partly through not having been played as such, despite many of us thinking that he could have/should have been.

I think $2M per would be a generous way of Gainey saying, hey Jaro, thanks for the great play this year, and we really do think you're good, so please stick around. $2M would be generous.

I think a deal like what Hiller got, or I think it was Niitymaki a few years ago, something in the $1.2-$1.5M range for just 1 or 2 years would be "fair", if a team was going to play minor hardball or a player wasn't too worried about money.

Or if a team was going to try to nab him on an RFA offer sheet, then I do think it probably should take the $3M+ bracket, the 1st+3rd compensation level, presuming that stays roughly the same in 2010, for the Habs to let him walk. It would be uncomfortable for the Habs to match at something like $2.9M, say, but a 2nd rounder as compensation would be hard to accept. Of course, the team's payroll situation should be clearer before we get to that stage. Plekanec and Price will have the main impacts, and that could make it easier or harder to match on Halak. Or perhaps he's a player the Habs could pre-emptively take to arbitration? That's about the only way I could see Halak getting $3M.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Agreed BG - I think he gets about $500k AAV more than what Tuukka Rask got, simply because he's been performing at an above average level for longer and has some upside. Rask got $1.25m AAV, I'd expect something around $2 for Halak.

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
TheCH*

If Gainey trades Halak over Price, that should be the last straw of his many mistakes during his tenure.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
If Gainey trades Halak over Price, that should be the last straw of his many mistakes during his tenure.
QFT.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Keeping Price over Halak is a no brainer. Trade Halak at the trade deadline and if Carey Price doesn't pan out in a couple of years unload him then. If Halak wanted to stay here as Price's backup that was a decision he needed to make a couple of months ago.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I can't see him getting that kind of money as an unproven RFA. He won't have conclusively shown himself to be a starter yet. Partly through not having been played as such, despite many of us thinking that he could have/should have been.

I think $2M per would be a generous way of Gainey saying, hey Jaro, thanks for the great play this year, and we really do think you're good, so please stick around. $2M would be generous.

I think a deal like what Hiller got, or I think it was Niitymaki a few years ago, something in the $1.2-$1.5M range for just 1 or 2 years would be "fair", if a team was going to play minor hardball or a player wasn't too worried about money.

Or if a team was going to try to nab him on an RFA offer sheet, then I do think it probably should take the $3M+ bracket, the 1st+3rd compensation level, presuming that stays roughly the same in 2010, for the Habs to let him walk. It would be uncomfortable for the Habs to match at something like $2.9M, say, but a 2nd rounder as compensation would be hard to accept. Of course, the team's payroll situation should be clearer before we get to that stage. Plekanec and Price will have the main impacts, and that could make it easier or harder to match on Halak. Or perhaps he's a player the Habs could pre-emptively take to arbitration? That's about the only way I could see Halak getting $3M.
As we've discussed in the past - this is the real risk IMO. The way the CBA works it's really difficult to "hold the line" on valuable guys going into their 2nd contract, as the draft pick compensation is so little for a $3M offersheet. Often, the mere threat of an offersheet will get a RFA $3M (bunch of examples on the Hawks).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Habsfanatical

Why trade Halak or Price? both are RFA's this off season, both should command 2.6-3.5M per season.. let one sign an offer sheet and we collect the 1 - 1st and 1 - 3rd as comp.. That would be my plan.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
TomWaits

I was thinking along the lines of a 2nd (yes I know the leafs do not have one - thanks for pointing that out)

I read somewhere - when Philly needed a goalie - that he would probably get what Buff got for Biron or what he got for Huet.

I would love to see him here in TO next yr. Him and Jonas would be just fine.

TomWaits

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Ryder and a 2nd.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio