HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Tortorella?

Old
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
Fire Tortorella?

Since some want him gone, who do you suggest we hire?

IMO there are 2 kinds of coaches; the big coach you bring in when you're team is a bonafide playoff/cup contender.
OR that young/minor league coach you give a chance to coach your young rebuilding team.

The Rangers are neither. They're in the middle. Which is a no no in this league. It means they are mediocre. and you don't get anywhere when you're that.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Messier
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Ron Low

Torts is not going anywhere, silly thread.

Look what happened when the Canes stripped Rod of the C and gave it to someone who can step up(I like Rod but he just doesnt have it in him or cant do it anymore).....just saying...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:34 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

silverfish.

Seriously, give me the team. I'll show you some ****ing true accountability.

Disclaimer: I believe firing Torts will do nothing.

I'm pretty bored, so I'm going to go on a rant as to how I'd try to coach this team, bring them back from the brink of terribleness.

I'd start off by making the lines:

Dubinsky - Christ - Gaborik
Prospal (A) - Anisimov - Lisin
Avery - Drury (A) - Callahan (A)
Higgins - Boyle - Voros

Staal - Gilroy
Del Z - Girardi
Sanguinetti - Rozy

Scratches:
Redden
Brashear
Kotalik

I'd play these lines for at least a 5 game stretch barring anything too unreasonable to give them decent time to gel, and get acquainted with one another. Being their style of play, get comfortable with each other.

I'm putting Gilroy with Staal in order to let Gilroy run wild offensively knowing he has the Rangers strongest defensive defenseman backing him up always. Gilroy has some untapped offensive potential I believe and I'd like to see what he could do knowing he could go crazy with it. I'd put Del Zotto there but I don't want a lefty-lefty defensive pairing.

I'd run a 2-1-2 aggressive forecheck. 2 men deep always, forcing the opponent to have to play the puck up the boards where the third man can get there quickly to limit time and space for the opponent. It's all about limiting time and space.

If the offensively incapable people on this team are ever able to establish a good offensive shift someone will always be parked in front of the net. This league has become much less tough and going to the dirty areas of the ice you don't even come close to paying the physical toll that you used to in this league. Maintaining position in front of the net is too easy and it's time to manipulate that. Plus this team doesn't have enough of skill to score the pretty goals. It's all about the grind that will come from the 2-1-2 and the dirty goals that would hopefully follow.

As long as the system is run correctly by really maintaining the focus on limiting time and space for the opponent it should be tough for them to break through the neutral zone. Like Tortorella said, "safe is death" and I do believe the best defense is a good offense. As long as I have the puck, you don't.

There's nothing I'd like more then a crack at coaching the Rangers, one can dream...right?

Yes, I was this bored; and yes, it works in NHL 10.

Last edited by silverfish: 01-27-2010 at 11:50 PM.
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
NYR Viper

Are we seriously talking about this? This is how you screw a team up even more. Keep the merry-go-round going with coaches and all of their different styles. It kills players trying to learn a new style every year and not being able to get used to it and just play. Too much thinking = bad news.

Torts is far from the problem here. Talent, heart and playmaking are problems.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Firing Tortorella will prove nothing, except to further drive home the point that the architect of this team is the one who's truly to blame.

Go ahead fire him... Who are you going to hire? What will their plan be to help this team of underachieving veterans ?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

The coach doesnt play in the game.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:37 PM
chip chipperson*

the only way i see torts getting fired is if dolan cleans house and gets rid of sather at the same time. sather cant fire another coach.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Rosensnose*

As a Devils fan who loves to argue with Rangers fans I come in peace to ask a serious a question.

Do you guys really believe that firing Tortorella is going to turn this thing around?

Sather turns this roster over every couple of years and that is not the way to win in the NHL. It seems like they aren't playing for each other, Girardi not taking a 3rd man in while Carcillo beat Gaborik was evident of that.

EDIT: Ok after reading this whole thread I realize that alot of you don't want Torts fired.

Rosensnose* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPellerin18 View Post
As a Devils fan who loves to argue with Rangers fans I come in peace to ask a serious a question.

Do you guys really believe that firing Tortorella is going to turn this thing around?

Sather turns this roster over every couple of years and that is not the way to win in the NHL. It seems like they aren't playing for each other, Girardi not taking a 3rd man in while Carcillo beat Gaborik was evident of that.
Nope, and i'm pretty sure 90% would agree here.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Kind of Blue

As much as I hate Tortorella and think he has done as bad a coaching job as you can possibly do, I did not advocate firing him.... until tonight. It's over, he has to go. He absolutely should not be the coach going forward; I would get rid of him now.

Let Shoenfeld finish the season.

Fire Sather at some point between now and the end of the season.

Hire a new GM and head coach in the off-season.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Ron Low

Torts is not going anywhere, silly thread.

Look what happened when the Canes stripped Rod of the C and gave it to someone who can step up(I like Rod but he just doesnt have it in him or cant do it anymore).....just saying...
So your scapegoating has moved from coach to captain in 11 short months?

Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 01-27-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

The new coach would be the 7th coach in the 10 year regime (or should I say dark empire) of Glen Sather.

And what do we have to show for it? A couple of second round loses and a multi-year playoff appearance drought?

I dont know what else you need to see to realize that the coaching is not the main problem here.

And Sather knows this so if any of you actually think hell can Torts - you are mistaken. As soon as you ax two coaches in a calendar year, the focus turns to the GM. (With a small exception maybe, that being a man named Dolan)

Old
01-27-2010, 11:43 PM
js10

coach does not play the game but should tell the players how to play the game. defense is playing like blind, can't even pass a puck precisely. When offense dumps the puck, I keep vomiting.. how do they want to win if they purposefully lose the puck??? Their play does not have any system..player gets the puck and looks completely stupid because he really does not know what to do. If you see play of Pittsburgh, you can see the difference. They expect the other players at certain spots.. have certain playing schemes in mind. Our team? they play absolute cr*p! that is Tortorella' fault! Get rid of him now!!

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

fired? canned? This team is so bad he just might resign and hope people forget he was ever associated with this mess.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So your scapegoating has moved from coach to captain in 11 short months?
Guess you didn't read* my response to your first call out in the other thread and won't be repeating myself to you.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 01-27-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: *left out
Old
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He's not getting the axe... he has average players playing... average.

Team is due for a a trade though. Its time.

Shake it up

01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPellerin18 View Post

EDIT: Ok after reading this whole thread I realize that alot of you don't want Torts fired.
I don't but this thread is a response to some of the fans who are clamoring for him to be fired.
I'm asking for a legitimate replacement but as suspected, they have no answers.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

For the record, I dont think Tortorella should be fired. Its too soon, and given the right ingredients, hes proven he can be a good coach in this league..a championship coach.

But the ingredients in this team are spoiled, and Tortorella has shown no ability to deal with it. None.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Don't fire him, just bring on Renney to be a co-head coach then switch who is the true coach each time we lose and "bench" the other one. Then we can "fire" a head coach every time we get a little upset.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sathers got a ton of nerve if actually fires Tortorella.

I'd love to hear him justify the next coaches style of play and how it "fits the group" better.

Give me a break. He had a defensive coach who did very well here for what he had, and then he continued to flip the roster on its ear. He axes Renney and brings in a guy whos the exact opposite in personality and in game theory, and then flips the roster AGAIN.

Whats next? Honestly? What would he say next... how would he justify firing Torts? change for change sake? Then he might as well leave with him.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
trilobyte

I've seen too many under-achieving Rangers teams over the years to blame this on Tortorella.
There is some other thing at work here, though I'm not sure what it is. I tend to think about how NYR are often rated at the very top in the way they treat the players.

I think it might be an uneven transaction, and the great treatment of players for lousy return might be up for re-examination. Obviously I don't live anywhere near New York, but something is affecting what happens on the ice, and you cannot keep blaming the guys wearing the suit and tie behind the bench.

Fire Tortorella?

No

That would be a smokescreen.

trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Torts is a major doosh who yaps a lot but I think he's the right coach for this team. Renney had the same issues with his prototypical players. The issue is that we are a team loaded with young guys with NOBODY on the veteran side to step up and carry the team.

I still think we need to hand even more younger guys to Torts and let him whip them into NHL hustlers and bangers with attitudes.

I have to agree with LB on this: the vets on this team are a collective cancer. Just like the 1993 Mets. Time for change and upheaval.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I've seen too many under-achieving Rangers teams over the years to blame this on Tortorella.
There is some other thing at work here, though I'm not sure what it is. I tend to think about how NYR are often rated at the very top in the way they treat the players.

I think it might be an uneven transaction, and the great treatment of players for lousy return might be up for re-examination. Obviously I don't live anywhere near New York, but something is affecting what happens on the ice, and you cannot keep blaming the guys wearing the suit and tie behind the bench.

Fire Tortorella?

No

That would be a smokescreen.
I'll give you a hint.

Its got gray hair, and is usually seen with a tightly rolled bundle of dried and fermented tobacco in its mouth.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Don't fire him, just bring on Renney to be a co-head coach then switch who is the true coach each time we lose and "bench" the other one. Then we can "fire" a head coach every time we get a little upset.
In year's past, Renney had an outing where he invited the team's fathers on a road trip. Tonight, Tortorella benched Redden with his father in the building (in fact, Im almost certain Torts has no idea Redden's dad was there...kind of hilights my point even more)

I think that shows the differences in personalities between Tortorella and his predecessor.

Its just so damn easy to lose a team completely when you're such a brash, polarizing figure. Thats what we're seeing now in less than a year. Renney lasted 3 and a half without having a team quit on him.

And lets not sugarcoat things, I know this team sucks. I know theres a talent problem...we've had that issue for a couple of years now. But at the end of Renney's tenure and right now, we're seeing a different kind of problem...a team thats quitting.