HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Tortorella?

Old
01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
There's a segment of the HF population that believe you only need heart and desire to help a team. I've been fighting and exhausting battle so people will understand that you can't win much with a team full of plumbers.
That said, I disagree with you that the team hasn't quit on Torturella. He's been pretty cocky, bordering on mean calling out players and jerking them in and out of the line-up. At some point all the screaming and yelling, berating and chastising falls on deaf ears. JMO

An elite goalie, an elite forward and an average defense almost automatically makes this team mediocre. The pieces you add determine whether they will stay mediocre, be a good team or be a great team.

The Boston Bruins did it for years. Granted they had Bourque and Neely, but they certainly didnt have star power at forward. They had three full lines of muckers and grinder and a decent goalie in Moog.

We also did it in 2006. Jagr, Nylander, Henrik and a bunch of pluggers and grinders with a no-name defense.

To me, it's a matter of effort. It's already been established that all these guys have NOTHING to prove. Callahahan and Avery are the only guys whose work ethic can never be questioned. The rest of the team, including the rookies and gaborik, are suspect.

Brooks is right. The team is corrupted within the locker room, not the front office and behind the bench

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
And we put in charge someone who is unable to develop young players
Yes...can you imagine the success Tampa would have had if only St. Louis, Lecavalier, Boyle & Richards would have been able to develop their talent?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:44 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
We also did it in 2006. Jagr, Nylander, Henrik and a bunch of pluggers and grinders with a no-name defense.
What exactly did we do? Seriously. Because I thought that team was decidedly mediocre.

Quote:
To me, it's a matter of effort. It's already been established that all these guys have NOTHING to prove. Callahahan and Avery are the only guys whose work ethic can never be questioned. The rest of the team, including the rookies and gaborik, are suspect.

Brooks is right. The team is corrupted within the locker room, not the front office and behind the bench
I don't disagree that the work ethic isn't there, although I believe Drury belongs in the Callahan and Avery group, but the team IS corrupted in the front office. In fact, that's kind of the astounding element. The team is corrupted everywhere. The GM created a bad, young team, and then hired a coach that is totally wrong for that type of team. Tortorella is a guy you bring in when you're ready to take the next step, not when you're taking steps backwards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:57 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Yes...can you imagine the success Tampa would have had if only St. Louis, Lecavalier, Boyle & Richards would have been able to develop their talent?
We don't have those talents on our roster. Also Torts is a pre-lockout persona.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
What exactly did we do? Seriously. Because I thought that team was decidedly mediocre.

I don't disagree that the work ethic isn't there, although I believe Drury belongs in the Callahan and Avery group, but the team IS corrupted in the front office. In fact, that's kind of the astounding element. The team is corrupted everywhere. The GM created a bad, young team, and then hired a coach that is totally wrong for that type of team. Tortorella is a guy you bring in when you're ready to take the next step, not when you're taking steps backwards.
Exactly. This team-cause it's not ready to win yet, should have a Scott Gordon type. Get a minor league guy in here to coach your young players. And there's going to be even more young players coming next year. Makes little sense to hire an established coach.

But of course Sather won't do this or didn't do it. Cause that would be admitting he's................rebuilding. SHOCK

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Ola

Andy Murray

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Ron Low

Torts is not going anywhere, silly thread.

Look what happened when the Canes stripped Rod of the C and gave it to someone who can step up(I like Rod but he just doesnt have it in him or cant do it anymore).....just saying...
Stripping the C from Drury will yield the same results as when people said "Hire Tortarella, i'm sick of Renney and his no offense system !"

This team is a nightmare, very poorly constructed, everyone in the league see's it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Andy Murray
Good call.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rex Ryan. No wait. Ummm... Peter Laviolette. No, can't get him either. There's no one really great out there. Bring back Renney

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Andy Murray
Not a bad idea.

Man, we really missed the boat when Tippet was available.

Old
01-28-2010, 10:28 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not a bad idea.

Man, we really missed the boat when Tippet was available.
He's far too boring. We need Safe Is Death, remember?

Old
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
You're comparing a Pittsburgh team with Crosby and Malkin to the Rangers? Get out of here...
NO, I am comparing systems, structures, schemes, strategies.. whatever you call it. We are completely lost in this area. Play is chaotic, no one knows what is his job, where should he be. I was at the game with Pittsburgh.. Even the warm-ups are different, making sense at their side, ours just stink. It is all connected.. chaotic practices will give you chaotic play. and that is what I see there day in, day out. That is coaching thing... make players play better. Not this cr*p.

If you take into account personal issues, you have nothing to lose. Look at Washington and Pittsburgh, what coach change brought them. Exactly that thing I am expecting with Rangers. Reorganize attitude (or lack off) in the dressing room, do a change in everything that stinks.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He's far too boring. We need Safe Is Death, remember?
Yeah but what about the 'country club atmosphere' ?

Old
01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah but what about the 'country club atmosphere' ?
Don't step on the logo in the locker room...

...But feel free to **** the bed anywhere you like on the ice?

Old
01-28-2010, 10:40 AM
savebyrichter420

I thought it was Sather's fault for the team he assembled? If that is so then how is it Tort's fault that he is working with what has been given to him and having poor results?

I find it refreshing to have a coach who damns the country club nature and has respect for the logo instead of what we have previously dealt with for coaches since Sather has been in charge, Renney was a good coach but he never took a risk with anything he said, always the safe and high road even when not warrented

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
NYRangers84
2015 Cup Champs- NYR

Fire Sather and Tortorella otherwise just firing Torts isn't gonna help much.

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
savebyrichter420

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers84 View Post
Fire Sather and Tortorella otherwise just firing Torts isn't gonna help much.
At least that wouldn't send a confusing message, I mean, if you are gonna blame the guy for the results of the team you have to blame the guy who assembles it also.

I don't think Tort's should be fired, but if hiring him was such a bad move, why leave around the guy who did to make the next choice?
Firing coaches obviously hasn't done jack but the GM keeps his job when he alone is responsible for who stays and who goes, player and coach wise respectfully

Old
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

They both have to go. I never liked Torts. This dude can't keep a line together for 5 minutes and has changed his coaching strategy atleast 3 times this season. From safe is death to Renney's system, etc. This guy has no clue what he is doing, besides putting on a Bill Cowher face on the bench. This dude should bench himself for sucking also.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

You can't keep firing coaches. There has to be some kind of stability there.
The problem is the organization is ran by a guy that has no direction cause his heart isn't into anymore. Everything I hear makes it sound like he's tired and unmotivated. He has other people doing his job. Why hasn't he retired? I have no idea.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
savebyrichter420

Maybe if the players on those lines could score or at the very least hit the net then he wouldn't have to change things up so much, when you are desperate you resort to desperate measures.

Do I think Gabby should have been playing LW last night? Not at all but hell, its not like the status quo was working so well either.

The guy has little to work with and even less margin for error since the organization only seems to care about getting the extra revenue from playoff tickets so he frantically tries anything that works to get things going. Even on the rare occasion he keeps lines together, the results are not as different as everyone is making it sound to be.

If they would just come out and say, we are rebuilding and stick with not signing over priced free agents that don't fit our style or system or are just not that good to begin with then maybe he doesn't feel all the pressure to keep us a float when we are clearly sinking and he could be afforded more patience by the media and fans alike.

The fact that every summer we have to sign some big name free agent, regardless of their level of play or fit so we can sell tickets and jersey's is the reason the man has nothing to work with except mercenaries and younger players who are cheap so we can squeeze under the cap

Old
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
The coach doesnt play in the game.
Exactly

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Nice to see that pretty much everyone has come around to notice that the team construction/talent level sucks and its not the coach's fault. A year too late, but better late than never, I suppose.

Still doesnt explain why a more talented team than last year is quitting on Tortorella only 50 games into his first full season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
savebyrichter420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Nice to see that pretty much everyone has come around to notice that the team construction/talent level sucks and its not the coach's fault. A year too late, but better late than never, I suppose.

Still doesnt explain why a more talented team than last year is quitting on Tortorella only 50 games into his first full season.
Maybe because they are a bunch of quitters? But seriously, I'd be surprised if some players are but there are a bunch of players here where it wouldn't surprise me at all

Old
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Don't step on the logo in the locker room...

...But feel free to **** the bed anywhere you like on the ice?
LOL.. But feel free Mr.Carcillo to tap dance on our superstars head...

I am not a Torts fan at all. But firing him now would be pointless.

Plus I love watching his head almost explode during the press conferences. And the best is yet to come.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
savebyrichter420

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
LOL.. But feel free Mr.Carcillo to tap dance on our superstars head...

I am not a Torts fan at all. But firing him now would be pointless.

Plus I love watching his head almost explode during the press conferences. And the best is yet to come.
I know you are kidding, at least I hope you are, but Torts clearly had a major problem with what happened with Carcillo and Gaborik as evidenced by his post game remarks, there isn't much more he can do short of jumping on the ice and kicking his ass himself, he even gave Laviolette a piece of his mind too from the bench

What else do people expect from this guy? By reading some posters comments it seems Torts is expected to win faceoffs, play defense, take the man and hit, pass, shoot, score, go to the net, and fight/protect the players

These guys are hockey players, when is it finally their fault?