HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather Re-surfaces on the Grid

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2010, 10:17 PM
  #226
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
i think he instructed them to tank... not even kidding.
Can you imagine

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:58 PM
  #227
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
i think he instructed them to tank... not even kidding.
So basically he told them to keep doing what they're doing?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
  #228
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
O my god, Sather the wise man, believes in the lousy team he assembled. The team that should have been competing for a stanley cup this year, but has gotten worse from only a couple years ago. I am just wandering how it is possible that Sather can show his face, and how players can show him any respect. He might be a nice guy, but his hockey knowledge and thought process in the 10 or so years i have seen is the most flawed and backwards in hockey. Sign guys who are on a downturn, pay heavy for third liners when you can pay a 6th and get the same thing plus another skilled player with that money. It is needless to talk about what this man has done and the mistakes he has made. Finally we can see how brutally bad this team has become, and it could be much worse if not for the good development of our young players, which let me tell you has had, very little to do with him, he is the man pulling the trigger on the offseason signings, and non-signings.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
  #229
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Take a look and see.
Eh, i'm kind of busy with work & watching the Rangers fall apart. I won't actively seek one out, but hey you never know what you might randomly see right.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
  #230
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Why cant Sather do this with Redden?
Its not can't, it's won't.

Most GMs don't do many under handed things or even try to screw over players or other GMs. If they do, they make things bad for themself and their organization. Why do you think you see so few offer sheets etc? An offer sheet isn't even a terrible thing to do but GMs rarely do that. Because if you make a reputation like that for yourself and your team, you're screwing yourself. Don't you notice that no other GMs have done this with their huge bad contracts? Doing that to Redden would be a completely heartless thing to do and it would cause problems for the Rangers for a long time.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
  #231
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Its not can't, it's won't.

Most GMs don't do many under handed things or even try to screw over players or other GMs. If they do, they make things bad for themself and their organization. Why do you think you see so few offer sheets etc? An offer sheet isn't even a terrible thing to do but GMs rarely do that. Because if you make a reputation like that for yourself and your team, you're screwing yourself. Don't you notice that no other GMs have done this with their huge bad contracts? Doing that to Redden would be a completely heartless thing to do and it would cause problems for the Rangers for a long time.
Disagree. First of all, there are MANY more offer sheets handed out than you think. The reason you don't hear about them is because the majority go unsigned. The only time an offer sheet is newsworthy is when the player who receives it signs it and forces his team to match or accept compensation. If you think back to every offer sheet you have read about online, it has been one that was signed. You never hear about the ones that are not signed, but they are more numerous than you believe.

Second, Redden was paid like a prince when he signed with the Rangers and he has performed like a college club player. If he is sent to the minors he has only himself to blame. A spot on an NHL roster is a privilege ; one that even FORMER all-stars must earn. If Redden finds himself being assigned to Hartford it's not because Sather is a heartless ***** but because Redden is a purse carrying pansy who never came to work prepared to do his job.

If sending Redden to the minors, which sends a message to this team (which is in DIRE need of such communication) AND frees up cap space thus enabling them to be a better team going forward upsets other potential NYR acquisitions who were planning to come here, cash in, tune-out and turn in half-assed performances of their own than so be it. Seeing Redden sent to the minors should not alarm you unless you are worried about your own work ethic and ability to compete, in which case the Rangers do not - or at least should not - want you. Any player that gives 100% and is capable of fulfilling the role he is handed shouldn't have to worry about Redden's predicament. Redden was paid like a bonafide #1 d-man and is playing like a #6, sometimes worse.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
  #232
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
You can disagree and rationalize all you want, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. It is a totally heartless thing to do to any player, literally taking their NHL career away from them and trapping them because of your own stupid mistake. And doing that to a nice guy after he commits the rest of his career to you just because you were clueless about his abilities is terrible. Doing that would not be looked at favorably. I know you will say you don't care but my point is that GMs for the most part do care. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, it is not the sweet simple solution you want to think it is so badly.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
  #233
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Eh, i'm kind of busy with work & watching the Rangers fall apart. I won't actively seek one out, but hey you never know what you might randomly see right.
Hey, you're the one who's looking for something like that.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:38 PM
  #234
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
You can disagree and rationalize all you want, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. It is a totally heartless thing to do to any player, literally taking their NHL career away from them and trapping them because of your own stupid mistake. And doing that to a nice guy after he commits the rest of his career to you just because you were clueless about his abilities is terrible. Doing that would not be looked at favorably. I know you will say you don't care but my point is that GMs for the most part do care. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, it is not the sweet simple solution you want to think it is so badly.
He doesn't have to be trapped or have his career taken away. All he has to do is refuse to report to the AHL, which is well within his rights for all of the reasons you mention, and the two sides are able to mutually terminate the contract. Then Redden loses out on the remainder of his big money deal (which he isn't earning) but is able to get a new deal elsewhere, get a fresh start with a coach that he doesn't clash with and both sides win. If he's unwilling to part with the money that he simply isn't earning than he can still have it, but he'll have to earn it in the minors and it will be HIS decision that ends his career.

I love the fact that when people argue one way about an issue people say "the NHL is a business, get over it" and when people argue the other way people say "but they won't do that, it's too heartless". Which is it? The harsh realities of a business environment, in which Redden is a poor investment so you cut your losses, or a league in which "taking away a nice guys career" is more important than protecting your team's best interests?

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
  #235
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
You can disagree and rationalize all you want, that doesn't mean it's going to happen. It is a totally heartless thing to do to any player, literally taking their NHL career away from them and trapping them because of your own stupid mistake. And doing that to a nice guy after he commits the rest of his career to you just because you were clueless about his abilities is terrible. Doing that would not be looked at favorably. I know you will say you don't care but my point is that GMs for the most part do care. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, it is not the sweet simple solution you want to think it is so badly.
There are several problems with this argument. First off, anyone (and with the joys of Center Ice I watched him a lot--and used to think he was one of the best defensemen in the NHL) who watched Redden closely since the lockout, knew there were problems with his game; it wasn't like he came here and his play suddenly began to deteriorate, that had been going on for over two years. I know people claim that there were other teams out there bidding for Redden's services, but I really wonder if the contracts they were (supposedly) offering were as sweet--especially in length--as the one Sather offered.

Second, when a team makes a mistake that hurts the team in both the short and long term, they have to do something about it. Redden's play has been nowhere near good, much less anyhing like it was in his prime (and that type of play was the reason why the Rangers signed him). In fact, his play has continue to deteriorate to the point where he's not even helping the team playing 15 minutes a night. And even worse, he's become a distraction off the ice too (and I'm not just talking about the booing at MSG).

So, the question is, how does keeping him help the Rangers? To me, the answer is clear--keeping him doesn't help. I honestly think he needs to be off the roster as soon as possible. Will it help the team in the short run? Probably not, there are so many other problems--including the lack of experience on the blueline--that will still here regardless of Redden's status. But, sooner or later, Redden has to be dealt, or bought out, or demoted. Other teams have dealt with problems like this--if Sather can't admit he made a mistake and do something to fix it, that's another problem that has to be addressed too.

Maybe it is heartless to send Redden to the minors. But, if that's the only solution to this particular problem, too bad for Redden. If he gets his act together and suddenly starts playing at a higher level--and like he gives a damn again--someone will take a chance on him. If he finds himself unable to get back to the NHL, very honestly, he has only himself to blame.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
  #236
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
He doesn't have to be trapped or have his career taken away. All he has to do is refuse to report to the AHL, which is well within his rights for all of the reasons you mention, and the two sides are able to mutually terminate the contract. Then Redden loses out on the remainder of his big money deal (which he isn't earning) but is able to get a new deal elsewhere, get a fresh start with a coach that he doesn't clash with and both sides win. If he's unwilling to part with the money that he simply isn't earning than he can still have it, but he'll have to earn it in the minors and it will be HIS decision that ends his career.

I love the fact that when people argue one way about an issue people say "the NHL is a business, get over it" and when people argue the other way people say "but they won't do that, it's too heartless". Which is it? The harsh realities of a business environment, in which Redden is a poor investment so you cut your losses, or a league in which "taking away a nice guys career" is more important than protecting your team's best interests?
Oh yeah right all he has to do is give up over TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS and then he can still play in the NHL. Simple.

Look I hate the Redden contract. But unlike you I don't want to see the Rangers do something like this to a player who is not refusing to play or causing problems he is just not the player that this organization thought he was (many of us already knew that.) Doing something like that is horrible and things like this come back to haunt you. That's why no other teams do this kind of thing! What you don't see is that I am thinking of this organization's best interests.

If you want to cut your losses you buy the player out. I am not saying that's the answer or that's what the Rangers should do, I'm saying that's the way you are supposed to cut your losses with a player.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
  #237
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Oh yeah right all he has to do is give up over TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS and then he can still play in the NHL. Simple.

Look I hate the Redden contract. But unlike you I don't want to see the Rangers do something like this to a player who is not refusing to play or causing problems he is just not the player that this organization thought he was (many of us already knew that.) Doing something like that is horrible and things like this come back to haunt you. That's why no other teams do this kind of thing! What you don't see is that I am thinking of this organization's best interests.
It's not giving up TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS if he's still playing in the NHL because... um, when he signs elsewhere he'll be... you know, getting PAID. So maybe he won't make AS MUCH as he would have on the Rangers, but HE'S the one playing like a #7 d-man while cashing in $8M this season. If he doesn't want to be sent to the AHL, he needs to play better. If he can't play better, he deserves to be sent to the AHL. If he doesn't want to play in the AHL than he can refuse to report and terminate his contract. What he can't do is have his cake and eat it too (play like crap AND get paid like an all-star). And the reason you don't see other team's doing this isn't because it's the terrible, terrible evil you make it out to be (Minnesota just terminated Sykora's contract, btw - he refused to be assigned to the AHL) but because other teams aren't saddled with THE WORST contract in the NHL.

Oh, and that first line of you response, about how he won't give up $20M... that's because this is business right? In business you don't give up money, even if you're not earning it. Well, in business you don't continue to pay someone if they don't DO THEIR JOB.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM
  #238
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
This thread has turned into another Redden thread.

I've said quite often that nothing will happen with Redden until the off season, most likely not until training camp. A buyout just isn't realastic, Trading him isn't going to happen. He will be cut in camp & sent down. That's the only scenerio I see happening today.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
  #239
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...
 
Ollie Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
This thread has turned into another Redden thread.

I've said quite often that nothing will happen with Redden until the off season, most likely not until training camp. A buyout just isn't realastic, Trading him isn't going to happen. He will be cut in camp & sent down. That's the only scenerio I see happening today.
But... but that's so... heartless!

I agree that nothing will happen this season, but ultimately, this is what will need to happen. No one will trade for Redden, under any circumstances and buying him out just doesn't make sense for our cap situation. The best thing for BOTH parties is for Redden to be assigned to the AHL and not report so that he CAN go play elsewhere and we can be rid of the cap hit. Redden will still attract offers between $3-4M, I'd bet money, and that's not a terrible alternative to spending the rest of your career in the AHL. It is the best solution for both sides. If Wade wants to keep his big paychecks than he can accept the assignment to Hartford.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.