HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke: "I understand the fans frustration, believe me." (Jan 28th)

Old
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Brian Burke: "I understand the fans frustration, believe me." (Jan 28th)

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...39696-qmi.html

Quote:
“I know what fans are saying,” said Burke. “Why doesn’t he do something? The only answer I can tell you it’s not for lack of trying.

“Do you think I like driving home after every game? I understand the fans frustration, believe me. If anyone driving home from (Tuesday’s) game (against Los Angeles) is discouraged, imagine my ride home.

“The fact is, the team’s not winning and I haven’t made any changes. I understand, this is the GM’s problem. I accept that. You want to blame somebody, blame me. It’s my job to get it right. It all ends up on my desk ... I thought we had something (a trade) in November. That fell apart.

"Unfortunately, (talking trade) is like being a farmer. You plant your crop and then you do nothing but wait.”

It’s not like Burke has a lot of wait for. The mess of mediocrity he is surrounded by is compounded by the ridiculous contracts he inherited. There is no trading of Jason Blake, Lee Stempniak, Jeff Finger or Vesa Toskala. Tomas Kaberle, maybe the most tradeable commodity, hasn’t asked to waive his no-trade deal.

You can deal the rental players like Alexei Ponikarovsky and Matt Stajan, but last year the Leafs attempted to trade both and came away empty handed. Talking to agents, there does seem to be some interest in Ponikarovsky, but likely closer to the deadline. And Stajan is one of those typical Toronto players who gets overvalued in this market, but not overvalued by clubs that regularly scout the Leafs.

There also may be some interest in Niklas Hagman, who has one year left on his contract, but again, anything that would happen with him would likely occur in March.

Which leaves what?

“I can hang up (on) you and make a bad trade right now. That’s easy,” Burke said.

Burke understands people are looking at him quizzically. Burke understands that people expected more from him, more from the Leafs in his first full season in Toronto. Burke knows that the longer the Leafs struggle the less anyone cares about his Stanley Cup in Anaheim, or his Sedin master manipulation in Vancouver, or the Chris Pronger draft in Hartford. All that seems like ancient history to Leafs fans. They want some history of their own. They want a reason to believe.

They want a team that looks, appears, to be headed in the right direction.

No one wants to pay the highest prices in hockey to watched the 28th best team.

Last edited by Mess: 01-29-2010 at 10:10 AM.
hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Hagman has two years left, not one. You'd think they'd get details like that right.

I wonder what that November trade was...

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I'm on my phone so I didn't read the entire article (just your blurb) and for The Sun that was actually pretty good.

At least Burke knows we're disappointed..We all want change..A winning team..A successful team with a future! We desperately need a shot in the leg, something to spark this team.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Mogwai

Don't worry guys, he's sticking to his blueprint.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Hurt

Rawrrrr Burke Smashhhhhh!

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Landeskog

the trade in November was with Chicago. I believe it was a pick and taking on Sopel and a Forward, with XLB and a forward. basically Chicago making cap room and taking lesser cap hit in return.

you think the booing has finally hit the upper management. I must also question the rebuilding with the FA market. has anyone looked at the market, it's not as packed as in past years. plus i believe most of the FAs will either resign with the team they play for or trade they get traded to. sadly next year might be even worse.

as of right now toronto's burke era is known for trading 3 picks for kessel. as of right now the picks could be (Fowler,? and Larsson or Hoppkins)

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogren View Post
the trade in November was with Chicago. I believe it was a pick and taking on Sopel and a Forward, with XLB and a forward. basically Chicago making cap room and taking lesser cap hit in return.

you think the booing has finally hit the upper management. I must also question the rebuilding with the FA market. has anyone looked at the market, it's not as packed as in past years. plus i believe most of the FAs will either resign with the team they play for or trade they get traded to. sadly next year might be even worse.

as of right now toronto's burke era is known for trading 3 picks for kessel. as of right now the picks could be (Fowler,? and Larsson or Hoppkins)
What booing? I was there Tuesday night and you could here a pin drop.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What booing? I was there Tuesday night and you could here a pin drop.
I was there too and the building was a chorus of boos right before Hagman's goal at the end of the game.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
mooseOAK*

Belligerence, truculence, self pity.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
I was there too and the building was a chorus of boos right before Hagman's goal at the end of the game.
Guess I was in a quieter area....I did notice a lot more empty seats though.

Last edited by ACC1224: 01-28-2010 at 01:28 PM.
ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Landeskog

i was there as well i remember boo birds booing.

maybe the blueprint has run it's course and it's time to look at other plans of attack. how about taking your time and rebuilding the right way and not the fast track way.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Smif

So he's been a Leaf fan his whole life too?

Nope, he doesn't understand.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
jjones87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogren View Post
i was there as well i remember boo birds booing.

maybe the blueprint has run it's course and it's time to look at other plans of attack. how about taking your time and rebuilding the right way and not the fast track way.
Perhaps the blueprint is more than one season, anyone who expected Burkie to make this team into a contender in one season is stupid.

jjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Believe Burke on the trade..at least he's an exciting GM with balls...unlike the other ******* out there.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones87 View Post
Perhaps the blueprint is more than one season, anyone who expected Burkie to make this team into a contender in one season is stupid.
So I guess that makes Burke one of the stupid ones.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
So I guess that makes Burke one of the stupid ones.
You heard him claim that we'll be a contender this year?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...39696-qmi.html

Quote:
“I can hang up (on) you and make a bad trade right now. That’s easy,” Burke said.
A bad trade or an idiotic trade.

Considering his summer shopping brought in Beauchemin, Komisarek, Exelby, Primeau maybe a bad trade would look better?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
jjones87

Obviously he is going to say the goal is to be a contender or make the playoffs. He's not gonna say "oh our plan is to suck for the next couple seasons and then compete". I like the work he has done and I don't think the Kessel trade can be written off until he has a centerman to play with. If we're in the same position this time next season, then yes, we have some serious problems.

jjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Obviously he is going to say the goal is to be a contender or make the playoffs. He's not gonna say "oh our plan is to suck for the next couple seasons and then compete". I like the work he has done and I don't think the Kessel trade can be written off until he has a centerman to play with. If we're in the same position this time next season, then yes, we have some serious problems.
I think the Leafs shouldn't worry about this year's pick.

All those top players are not going to the Leafs whether the Leafs' pick is #1 or #30. That train has left the station.

They should tank the rest of the season and get a high pick in the 3rd. round. Maybe if they get a couple 2nd. rounders that could sneak into the 1st. round with some swaps?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
New Liskeard

The signing of Beauchemin and Komisarek combined with Kaberle, White and Schenn (after last year) looked like a very good D. (at least on paper anyway). Burke also said the the defensive system (PK) is a good one, it works but there are no current players on the Leafs good enough to implement it. Primeau has been a good defensive player in the past as has Mayers, as well as Komisarek and Beacuhemin. Seems to me there are players on the team that have been good defensivelly in the past, and if Burke is correct and the defensive system works, either these players collectivelly have forgotten how to play, or the coach isn't getting the most out of his players....

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Federko

“The fact is, the team’s not winning and I haven’t made any changes. I understand, this is the GM’s problem. I accept that. You want to blame somebody, blame me. It’s my job to get it right. It all ends up on my desk ... I thought we had something (a trade) in November. That fell apart.
----

If I said this to my boss or spouted this publically: about my results I'd be fired

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:45 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
You know what...enough with the Burke sympathizers...BS....If you go on a roadtrip to say Florida and your driver starts off by going North on Highway 400....don't you think you can say....hey do you know where you are going? Thats exactly what the fans are saying to this buffoon.. Look he obviously over-estimated the talent or lack thereof that this team has. That is why he pulled the trigger on the Kessel deal.

Most sympathizers will tell you...."everyone thought the Leafs would finish higher not just Burke" First of all thats a lie...I saw many predictions with the Leafs finishing no higher than they did last season and secondly thats why Burke gets 3 million dollars a year...because presumably he is better at this than everyone else....If a GM cant properly evaluate talent in order to make moves for the present and future is he considered a good GM? Or as one other poster put it, the 3rd best GM in hockey?
I dont have to answer that for you

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
TorFC-TML*

Burke, you dont understand **** all.

You told us we wouldnt put up with a loser, so what did you do? You made us worse! And you gave away the one thing we have been clamoring for for years!

He thought he had a trade in November, he thought the team would do better, he thought Boston would be getting a mid first ronud pick. Well I think Burke is a pretty crappy GM.

I am so sick of Burke's excuses.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy View Post
Hagman has two years left, not one. You'd think they'd get details like that right.

I wonder what that November trade was...
ya, it has me wondering too.

I'm just guessing here, but i think it might have been with the Yotes. A package including one of Pony or Hagman for Mueller possibly?

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
ya, it has me wondering too.

I'm just guessing here, but i think it might have been with the Yotes. A package including one of Pony or Hagman for Mueller possibly?
It was the Sopel deal with Chicago.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote