HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke: "I understand the fans frustration, believe me." (Jan 28th)

Old
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Koss

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Koss
Now Burkie is playing the poor me - I'm trying card. Very predictable.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Leaf me alone

Either you fire him or give him a chance.

Give him a chance.

Leaf me alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

I really dislike him. I haven't hated a leafs gm this much in a long time. For someone to make such a boneheaded trade and come out and say "i'd still make that trade if I knew we'd finish last" or whatever..you just got to be STUPID. He can go **** himself.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
A bad trade or an idiotic trade.

Considering his summer shopping brought in Beauchemin, Komisarek, Exelby, Primeau maybe a bad trade would look better?
IMO those were good signings.

Beachemin and Komi can bring a lot to a team. Kubina was a salary dump for Exelby to make room for Koni.

This summer Burke will target some big fish, what he'll get no one knows, but he will at least attempt. I mean what choice does he have? we dont have any 1st round picks for the next 17 years.

I'm guessing we miss out on Marleau and Kovy, but Burke will land Plekanecs. Who IMO could be the best signing (if he signs for 4.5-5)

Imagine Plekanecs with Kessel

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
jjones87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
You know what...enough with the Burke sympathizers...BS....If you go on a roadtrip to say Florida and your driver starts off by going North on Highway 400....don't you think you can say....hey do you know where you are going? Thats exactly what the fans are saying to this buffoon.. Look he obviously over-estimated the talent or lack thereof that this team has. That is why he pulled the trigger on the Kessel deal.

Most sympathizers will tell you...."everyone thought the Leafs would finish higher not just Burke" First of all thats a lie...I saw many predictions with the Leafs finishing no higher than they did last season and secondly thats why Burke gets 3 million dollars a year...because presumably he is better at this than everyone else....If a GM cant properly evaluate talent in order to make moves for the present and future is he considered a good GM? Or as one other poster put it, the 3rd best GM in hockey?
I dont have to answer that for you
First off, what an awful analogy.

Second, when the Leafs finally do come around and start competing with Burke, I don't expect any cheers from you. Kessel or Nash, a goal scoring winger without a decent centerman is inevitably going to produce less.

jjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones87 View Post
Perhaps the blueprint is more than one season, anyone who expected Burkie to make this team into a contender in one season is stupid.
all i'm saying is maybe his blueprint doesn't work as well as he things it does. think about in 1 year with hartford he known for drafting pronger, with the canucks he used the draft and drafted some good players for them and then good but not stanley cup good, with the ducks he had a team in place, if murray had not been let go he would have had the cup not burke. plus in each of these places he left them with cap issues or alot of outstanding contracts.

this blueprint has only worked for one team boston and as of right now even boston is in trouble this season.

plus the top 6 bottom 6 model burke has created is not a proven winner. most teams that win cups are not built in the model of bottom 6 brusiers and top 6 skill. look at the last 4 or 5 maybe even the 6 teams to winner the cup or go places in the playoffs they are built on skill.

i also fell burke is not using all of his tools to his use. i should know i have connection with the team as a intern with the hockey operations side and has me and the 2 other interns doing some really uselss stuff. I could be mad more at myself for not taking a different offer that i might have more to do but i picked this one because it was my leafs. i also feel most of my ideas are not heard and clearly you don't hire someone just because, you hire them because you want them to work for you and you will listen to the ideas they come up with.

i'm at/or go over most of the games, i also go over marlie games too. the marlies is another story. normally when you are sitting at the bottom of the nhl your ahl team is doing something good. the marlies and leafs both are sitting at the bottoms of there leagues. It could as be that his is not how i would build a team. Mind you tho Kessel can be useful for us if we can get that playmaking center, but kessel has to learn how to use his linemates better. frankly i would not have traded for kessel as i don't feel he has proven he can score back to back 30+ goal seasons. I hope he proves me wrong.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Now Burkie is playing the poor me - I'm trying card. Very predictable.
Predictable? A few days ago your type was saying Burke was far too arrogant to ever admit any responsibility.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones87 View Post
Obviously he is going to say the goal is to be a contender or make the playoffs. He's not gonna say "oh our plan is to suck for the next couple seasons and then compete". I like the work he has done and I don't think the Kessel trade can be written off until he has a centerman to play with. If we're in the same position this time next season, then yes, we have some serious problems.
well you shouldnt trade two 1sts and a 2nd if you dont have someone to play with him. The 5-6 million dollar centres that are worthy of playing with kessel dont exactly fall of trees... usually you have to draft those players... thats tough to do without 1st rounders

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogren View Post
with the ducks he had a team in place, if murray had not been let go he would have had the cup not burke. plus in each of these places he left them with cap issues or alot of outstanding contracts. .
... how many times is this myth going to be repeated? The majority of the Ducks team was brought in via trade or free agency by Burke, including Selanne, Pronger, and Niedermayer. The blue print has worked in the past.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Larcos_Unal

Testosterone, Impotence, Ineptitude

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
... how many times is this myth going to be repeated? The majority of the Ducks team was brought in via trade or free agency by Burke, including Selanne, Pronger, and Niedermayer. The blue print has worked in the past.
Selanne was going to resign with the ducks no matter how you look at this as he loves playing there. Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother. Pronger and May where the only really peices burke added

Old
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogren View Post
i was there as well i remember boo birds booing.

maybe the blueprint has run it's course and it's time to look at other plans of attack. how about taking your time and rebuilding the right way and not the fast track way.
Patience, unfortunately, is not in abundance with this fan base. That surprises me, considering we've been starved of success for about 4 decades, you would think that people would not mind two or three years of wait.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:
Selanne and Niedermayer were signing with the Ducks no matter who the GM was. Kind of makes your job easy when guys like that want to play on your team.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
So which players are our Getzlaf and Perry?

Who is our JS Guigure?

Just because something worked for another team means it will work for another?

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
IMO those were good signings.

Beachemin and Komi can bring a lot to a team. Kubina was a salary dump for Exelby to make room for Koni.

This summer Burke will target some big fish, what he'll get no one knows, but he will at least attempt. I mean what choice does he have? we dont have any 1st round picks for the next 17 years.

I'm guessing we miss out on Marleau and Kovy, but Burke will land Plekanecs. Who IMO could be the best signing (if he signs for 4.5-5)

Imagine Plekanecs with Kessel :naughty
:
I dont see whats so great about that. Theres no way I'm going to sign Plekanic to be this teams first line center. He's a 2nd line center thats having a very big season in a contract year. Some team is going to be silly and dish out like a 5-5.5 million dollar a season deal and will soon regret it. I dont want to be paying 10 million dollars a season to see the perimeter oriented, soft, non battling duo of Kessel/Plekanic. I wouldnt give Plekanic anymore then 4 million a season at most and I hope we dont even sign him. I'd rather wait till next years free agency then overpay a just a decent player.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Patience, unfortunately, is not in abundance with this fan base. That surprises me, considering we've been starved of success for about 4 decades, you would think that people would not mind two or three years of wait.
I am sick of this line of thinking.

The fans didnt trade away two first rounders.

Brian Burke and Brian Burke alone is the only person who showed an impatience with this franchise.

He told us that we wouldnt put up with a loser.

You know what 'Tank Nation' was? It was people saying 'lose now and build through the draft'.

Do you not understand what patience is?

Patience is not trading away your first round draft pick for an immediate impact player.

I think you have got patience mixed up with urgency. Burke is the one who demonstrated a lack of patience this summer; not Leaf fans.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Lets leave Burke alone he is busy guy..

After all he has been giving interviews all week and telling Leaf Nation Fans.

Quote:
"If I could make a trade today that would put us in the playoffs, I would do it right away. That's my job," Burke said.

"Those aren't the kind of deals that are presenting themselves to us."
Judging from the current standings, apparently he is having a difficult time trying to pull off the impossible.

Perhaps if he spent more time on the phone and less time on the air giving interviews, and feeling sorry for himself, he could get more accomplished with more effective use of his time. Apparently he feels compelled to keep us informed of the obvious.

Just Sayin' ..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
So we can look forward to him possibly trading Poni and Hagman at the deadline. Things are looking up aren't they? I feel real bad for Burke and his multi million dollar contract to do nothing. Poor guy If he inherited all these bad contracts that have handcuffed him why then did he keep Fletcher on in any capasity

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
So which players are our Getzlaf and Perry?

Who is our JS Guigure?

Just because something worked for another team means it will work for another?
That's the thought behind every player acquisition, coach hiring, and GM hiring. The assumption that they can perform the way they did before.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Landeskog

Remember this not to many people want to come to a losing team. In some way I almost think Fletcher should have just stayed on as intern GM and we roll with that.

notice how we are here pointing out everything burke has done wrong, pbecause the fact of the matter is the good is a cup and a pulling off some crazy trade to get the twins.

plus now that i think about it Pronger to the ducks was not hard for burke to make.

Pronger's wife wanted out of edmonton's cold wrath. so pronger would give edmonton a list of trades he would go to most likely winning southern teams. then you add in the pronger/burke hartford connection and bag you have a trade. really burke's only magic he pulled with the picks to get the twins.

i've been thinking baout this an really if i was the toronto ownership group, i would targeted 10 gms in the game and out of the game and worked toward who i wanted that way. odds are i would have been down to Holland, nashville and la or even just sitting on fletcher

Old
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's the thought behind every player acquisition, coach hiring, and GM hiring. The assumption that they can perform the way they did before.
Ya!

Screw forward thinking!

Wheres that ever gotten anyone?

Old
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
I am sick of this line of thinking.

The fans didnt trade away two first rounders.

Brian Burke and Brian Burke alone is the only person who showed an impatience with this franchise.

He told us that we wouldnt put up with a loser.

You know what 'Tank Nation' was? It was people saying 'lose now and build through the draft'.

Do you not understand what patience is?

Patience is not trading away your first round draft pick for an immediate impact player.

I think you have got patience mixed up with urgency. Burke is the one who demonstrated a lack of patience this summer; not Leaf fans.
I completely understand the frustration. But you are being impatient. You disagree with the route being taken. This is a legit criticism. However Burke has chosen a different route which also requires patience.

We have to wait and see if Gustafsson develops.

We have to wait and see if the college kids turn out to be NHLers.

We have to wait and see if Burke can pull off a trade.

There are many more.

Burke's route requires as much patience as would any other rebuild. I know it's hard to see. Will it work is the question to ask. We have to give him more time. It's not easy to be patient. Critique the moves but, IMO, if we do fail it'll be due to poor hockey choices not a lack of patience.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Ya!

Screw forward thinking!

Wheres that ever gotten anyone?
Well, the past is easier to predict than the future. (That looks like a Yogi Berra saying.)

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Well, the past is easier to predict than the future. (That looks like a Yogi Berra saying.)
That kind of thinking is what got Jason Blake signed.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
TMLeafer
Rebuilding

What a great lawyer.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote