HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke: "I understand the fans frustration, believe me." (Jan 28th)

Old
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
That kind of thinking is what got Jason Blake signed.
Along with every other UFA, but Blake didn't get 40 goal money.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
well you shouldnt trade two 1sts and a 2nd if you dont have someone to play with him. The 5-6 million dollar centres that are worthy of playing with kessel dont exactly fall of trees... usually you have to draft those players... thats tough to do without 1st rounders
Ok, so we dont have Kessel but we'd have Hall or Seguin....both centres, who are they going to pass to????? Sundin had no one to pass to for 17 years, do you think either one of those two can carry a team like Sundin??...I dont think so, snipers like Kessel also dont grow on trees!! for now i'll take Kessel over the picks, to many variables for those picks to be a sure thing!...IE Hodgson of Vancouver his career may be in the toilet before it started...just a thought

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 620
I hope we do finish last this year just so I can watch some of the people here absolutely lose their minds.

What a bunch of whiny crybabies.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Along with every other UFA, but Blake didn't get 40 goal money.

If you accounted for his age and term of his contract, I think he did.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Selanne and Niedermayer were signing with the Ducks no matter who the GM was. Kind of makes your job easy when guys like that want to play on your team.
Selanne was looking for a team to play on and did ask to come back. Many people thought he was finished and wouldn't have taken him back though. Burke did. Niedermayer had 3 teams in mind, NJ, Vancouver and Anahiem. Burke sold him on Anahiem like he sold Gus and Bozak on Toronto when they were limited in what they could offer financially (due to the ELCs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Judging from the current standings, apparently he is having a difficult time trying to pull off the impossible.

Perhaps if he spent more time on the phone and less time on the air giving interviews, and feeling sorry for himself, he could get more accomplished with more effective use of his time. Apparently he feels compelled to keep us informed of the obvious.

Just Sayin' ..
Not like you to take a quote, spin it around and make assinine assumptions to get your point across.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Ok, so we dont have Kessel but we'd have Hall or Seguin....both centres, who are they going to pass to????? Sundin had no one to pass to for 17 years, do you think either one of those two can carry a team like Sundin??...I dont think so, snipers like Kessel also dont grow on trees!! for now i'll take Kessel over the picks, to many variables for those picks to be a sure thing!...IE Hodgson of Vancouver his career may be in the toilet before it started...just a thought
I think what you fail to see is the fact it's Kessel for (top3 in 10 + a top 33 pick also and then another most likely top 5 pick). in my views and in many others kessel is not worth that.

he is something to tihnk about Fowler,Larsson or Hoppkins and a missed 1st rounder for Kessel.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Faltorvo

Well BB would make a trade right now that would get us into the POs?

Fair enough. But is he willing to do something that might ACTUALLY be possible and that is to sign one of the leagues true superstars in Kovi?

He's *****en about 8m per over 10 years? The guy is only 26 years old and is easily one of the top scoring players in the league, the kind of player (i dare say) has the ability to make those around him better.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Patience, unfortunately, is not in abundance with this fan base. That surprises me, considering we've been starved of success for about 4 decades, you would think that people would not mind two or three years of wait.
its been 40+ years of wait, not two or three.

some someone else posted, burke is the most impatient of us all.

i think the reason most fans are frustrated and impatient is because we seem to be seeing the same type of thought-process from burke as we did from all his predecessors. we're seeing decisions that could potentially cripple this team in the future, just as we saw from quinn, jfj, and others before them. those guys made deals that led to the debacle we're seeing now. burke so far has done nothing to help the current situation, and long-term thinking doesn't seem to be his forte.

as fans, we don't wipe the slate clean every time a new gm comes in. its been 43 years, so i don't understand how a fan can be accused of being impatient. we were all here years before burke arrived, and we'll be here long after he's gone.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Ya!

Screw forward thinking!

Wheres that ever gotten anyone?
It got John Ferguson Jr a GM's position.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Niedermayer had 3 teams in mind, NJ, Vancouver and Anahiem. Burke sold him on Anahiem like he sold Gus and Bozak on Toronto when they were limited in what they could offer financially (due to the ELCs).
Bull****.

Neidermayer was signing with his brother's team all along and anyone following hockey knew it.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Age of players

Forwards

55 Jason Blake 36
21 Jamal Mayers 35
18 Wayne Primeau 33
9 Niklas Hagman 30
23 Alexei Ponikarovsky 29
51 Rickard Wallin 29

28 Colton Orr 27
12 Lee Stempniak 26
14 Matt Stajan 26
*maybe
84 Mikhail Grabovski 25
39 John Mitchell 25
38 Jay Rosehill 24
42 Tyler Bozak 23
41 Nikolai Kulemin 23
81 Phil Kessel 22

Defencemen

15 Tomas Kaberle "A" 31
26 Mike Van Ryn 30
4 Jeff Finger 30

22 Francois Beauchemin "A" 29
3 Garnet Exelby 28
8 Mike Komisarek "A" 28
7 Ian White 25
36 Carl Gunnarsson 23
2 Luke Schenn 20

Goalies

35 Vesa Toskala 32
50 Jonas Gustavsson 25

Bolded players, I expect to play regular roles next year.
Guys in red probably won't be here next year.

Bubble boys:

Kadri 19
Stahlberg 23

Now, I understand this team lacks high end 1st line kinda guys, but if you take the youth we have and plug them into the 2nd and 3rd line roles, (Obviously Kessel on the 1st line), I think this team has decent youth/potential, to compliment a strong 1st line

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Sorry brother, i can't back your logic or fear tied to the Hodgson issue.

Regardless if they are a prospect or future draft pick or a nhl superstar those risks are equal to all.

Old
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Bull****.

Neidermayer was signing with his brother's team all along and anyone following hockey knew it.
When did Rob sign his deal with Anaheim?

edit: 04-Aug-05 Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to a four-year contract.

When did Scott sign with Anaheim?

edit: 04-Aug-05 Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to a four-year contract.

One was Restricted, one was unrestricted, so yea, maybe that was the case.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I hope we do finish last this year just so I can watch some of the people here absolutely lose their minds.

It has already happened and it's pretty sad to see. Some people are way too invested in this team.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post

I look at it that the deal has been done, I was happy when we traded for him and still am, lets move forward and hope that one of the young centers we have ie Dido,Champagne, Paradis etc can play with Kessel, also heard Nonis say that they are only going to sign 1 NCAA free agent this year (one of the best ) and hopefully they are targeting the best NCAA center! I certainly wont be shedding any tears if we finish last..but im like you i'll be watching all the cry babies ...tissue anyone (LOL)

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KesseltoLupul

Ponikarovsky
Stajan
Exelby

for

Sharp
Sopel
3rd

Sharp - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - Hagman
Blake - Primeau - Stempniak
Orr - Mitchell - Rosehill

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
its been 40+ years of wait, not two or three.

some someone else posted, burke is the most impatient of us all.

i think the reason most fans are frustrated and impatient is because we seem to be seeing the same type of thought-process from burke as we did from all his predecessors. we're seeing decisions that could potentially cripple this team in the future, just as we saw from quinn, jfj, and others before them. those guys made deals that led to the debacle we're seeing now. burke so far has done nothing to help the current situation, and long-term thinking doesn't seem to be his forte.

as fans, we don't wipe the slate clean every time a new gm comes in. its been 43 years, so i don't understand how a fan can be accused of being impatient. we were all here years before burke arrived, and we'll be here long after he's gone.
this sums it up in a nutshell......hes got a long way to go before hes gona have many admirers as leaf fans.this post could be headlines in the daily tabloids ......GREAT POST!!!!!!!!

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Dave from Vancouver

The one thing I beg him to do is to leave our 2012 onwards first round picks alone. With the assets we have currently, my dog could build a competitive team with those picks.

We can do the following. A) Get better, Burke succeeds, everyone wins. B) Stay horrible, Burke goes, and the next organization has our first round picks on top of Kessel, Schenn, Kulemin hopefully Gustavsson and some good prospects to build with. That to me is a pretty attractive platform to at least make us a playoff team again.

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Age of players

Forwards

55 Jason Blake 36
21 Jamal Mayers 35
18 Wayne Primeau 33
9 Niklas Hagman 30
23 Alexei Ponikarovsky 29
51 Rickard Wallin 29

28 Colton Orr 27
12 Lee Stempniak 26
14 Matt Stajan 26
*maybe
84 Mikhail Grabovski 25
39 John Mitchell 25
38 Jay Rosehill 24
42 Tyler Bozak 23
41 Nikolai Kulemin 23
81 Phil Kessel 22

Defencemen

15 Tomas Kaberle "A" 31
26 Mike Van Ryn 30
4 Jeff Finger 30

22 Francois Beauchemin "A" 29
3 Garnet Exelby 28
8 Mike Komisarek "A" 28
7 Ian White 25
36 Carl Gunnarsson 23
2 Luke Schenn 20

Goalies

35 Vesa Toskala 32
50 Jonas Gustavsson 25

Bolded players, I expect to play regular roles next year.
Guys in red probably won't be here next year.

Bubble boys:

Kadri 19
Stahlberg 23

Now, I understand this team lacks high end 1st line kinda guys, but if you take the youth we have and plug them into the 2nd and 3rd line roles, (Obviously Kessel on the 1st line), I think this team has decent youth/potential, to compliment a strong 1st line
Dyn, i know we have had our disagreements and all but, i honestly don't know where you are basing Finger as probably gone. All the others i agree with because of their contract situations. There is nothing to indicate that Finger is going anywhere.

List it as a HOPE (like i also hope) he is gone but there are no grounds to list him as probable.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
When did Rob sign his deal with Anaheim?

edit: 04-Aug-05 Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to a four-year contract.

When did Scott sign with Anaheim?

edit: 04-Aug-05 Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to a four-year contract.

One was Restricted, one was unrestricted, so yea, maybe that was the case.
There were 3 options at that point they were looking at.

- Scott would stay in NJ
- Scott would sign in their hometown Vancouver, with his brother likely coming at a later time or being acquired via trade
- Scott signs in Anahiem to play with his brother.

The last one happened. There were many media outlets, including the Fan590, reporting the scenario's on a regular basis. As the teams were eliminated, it was announced that he was down to 2 scenarios.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
It has already happened and it's pretty sad to see. Some people are way too invested in this team.
Being a fan for 38 years, your darn right I'm invested in this team.

But your statement is all about perspective no?

Some could argue that you are to invested in hockey as a whole sitting at over 10,000 posts.

I don't mean that as a slight in anyway shape or form.

It's about perspective.

Frankly i don't know if you used to be a so called "tanker" or not but i will say this.

What is happening this year is surely taking it's tole on many ex tankers.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post

Frankly i don't know if you used to be a so called "tanker" or not but i will say this.

Thanks for giving me the bright side to this season.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:

Some could argue that you are to invested in hockey as a whole sitting at over 10,000 posts.

It's about perspective.

What I am saying is that I wouldn't off myself over this team. Some people need to put things into perspective and realize that this is just a game. No matter how angry your posts are on the Internet, it's not going to change anything.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Dyn, i know we have had our disagreements and all but, i honestly don't know where you are basing Finger as probably gone. All the others i agree with because of their contract situations. There is nothing to indicate that Finger is going anywhere.

List it as a HOPE (like i also hope) he is gone but there are no grounds to list him as probable.
None of what I've posted is "based" on anything but my opinion. I'm basing it on the highly scientific "gut feeling" that Finger will get bought out. A 7th d-man making 4th d-man money is a no no and I think Burke will buy him out, or re-enter him, to give him a chance to play in the NHL. He won't bury him.

And hey, if we only disagree about 1 player in 23, do we really disagree?

Old
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
EazyB97

Quote:

It's about perspective.

This season has taken a toll on everyone who watches the team with a strong desire to succeed. Right now this is a bad team, so the people who want to win now are upset. Those who want to tank, see the lack of a pick and get upset. What's lost in all of this is that NOBODY is happy with the current situation, there are just different ways to handle it.

It's clear to me this is the lowest point for the board since I've been a member. There's non-stop jabs and people go out of their way to attack the person rather than the concept. There's little patience at the moment for anything, for a full rebuild to take place (which I think is likely if these next two years are horrid) or for Burke's plan to take it's shape. Most of us have gotten caught up in the negativity (I'm guilty) one way or another, but at this point, the board is rather pathetic. Well thought out posts come few and far between, instead of intelligent discussion it's been replaced with bickering, stereotypes and aggressive indifference.